Culturelle Digestive Health
Generic Name: lactobacillus rhamnosus GG (LAK toe ba SIL us ram NOE sus)
Brand Name: Culturelle Digestive Health, Culturelle Health and Wellness
What is Culturelle Digestive Health (lactobacillus rhamnosus GG)?
Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG is a bacteria that exists naturally in the body, primarily in the intestines. Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG has been used as a probiotic, or "friendly bacteria," to prevent the growth of harmful bacteria in the stomach and intestines.
Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG has been used in alternative medicine as a likely effective aid in treating or preventing diarrhea caused by rotavirus in babies and children.
This product has also been used as a possibly effective aid in treating colic in babies, and in preventing diarrhea in children that can occur while taking antibiotics.
In adults, lactobacillus rhamnosus GG is possibly effective in preventing diarrhea during a hospital stay, while you are receiving chemotherapy, or during travel to foreign countries ("traveler's diarrhea").
Other conditions for which lactobacillus rhamnosus GG is possibly effective include treating irritable bowel syndrome, ulcerative colitis, or vaginal infections caused by bacteria. This product may also lower the risk of lung infections in children who attend daycare centers.
Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG has also been used to treat Crohn's disease, lactose intolerance, or vaginal yeast infections. However, research has shown that lactobacillus rhamnosus GG may not be effective in treating these conditions.
Other uses not proven with research have included treating cold sores, urinary tract infections, high cholesterol, indigestion, cold symptoms, and boosting the immune system.
It is not certain whether lactobacillus rhamnosus GG is effective in treating any medical condition. Medicinal use of this product has not been approved by the FDA. Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG should not be used in place of medication prescribed for you by your doctor.
Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG is often sold as an herbal supplement. There are no regulated manufacturing standards in place for many herbal compounds and some marketed supplements have been found to be contaminated with toxic metals or other drugs. Herbal/health supplements should be purchased from a reliable source to minimize the risk of contamination.
Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG may also be used for other purposes not listed in this product guide.
What is the most important information I should know about Culturelle Digestive Health (lactobacillus rhamnosus GG)?
Follow all directions on the product label and package. Tell each of your healthcare providers about all your medical conditions, allergies, and all medicines you use.
What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking Culturelle Digestive Health (lactobacillus rhamnosus GG)?
Before using lactobacillus rhamnosus GG, talk to your healthcare provider. You may not be able to use lactobacillus rhamnosus GG if you have certain medical conditions, especially:
short bowel syndrome; or
weak immune system (caused by disease or by using certain medicine).
Ask a doctor before using this product if you are pregnant or breast-feeding.
Do not give any herbal/health supplement to a child without the advice of a doctor.
How should I take Culturelle Digestive Health (lactobacillus rhamnosus GG)?
When considering the use of herbal supplements, seek the advice of your doctor. You may also consider consulting a practitioner who is trained in the use of herbal/health supplements.
If you choose to take lactobacillus rhamnosus GG, use it as directed on the package or as directed by your doctor, pharmacist, or other healthcare provider. Do not use more of this product than is recommended on the label.
Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG may be taken with or without food.
If you cannot swallow a capsule whole, open the capsule and sprinkle the medicine into a spoonful of a baby food or applesauce to make swallowing easier. Swallow right away. Do not save the mixture for later use. Discard the empty capsule.
If you take lactobacillus rhamnosus GG to prevent traveler's diarrhea, start taking it 2 or 3 days before you travel. Keep taking it daily throughout the trip.
Call your doctor if the condition you are treating with lactobacillus rhamnosus GG does not improve, or if it gets worse while using this product.
Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG is available in capsule form. Other forms may also be available. Some dairy products, especially yogurt, also contain lactobacillus rhamnosus GG.
Do not use many different forms of lactobacillus rhamnosus GG at the same time, unless your healthcare provider has told you to. You may get too much of this product if you use different forms together.
Store at room temperature away from moisture, heat, and sunlight. Keep each capsule in its foil blister pack until you are ready to take the product.
You may also store this product in the refrigerator. Do not freeze.
Do not use this product if the blister foil covering the capsules is torn.
What happens if I miss a dose?
Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next scheduled dose. Do not use extra lactobacillus rhamnosus GG to make up the missed dose.
What happens if I overdose?
Seek emergency medical attention or call the Poison Help line at 1-800-222-1222.
What should I avoid while taking Culturelle Digestive Health (lactobacillus rhamnosus GG)?
Avoid taking lactobacillus rhamnosus GG within 2 hours before or after you take any medicine, especially an antibiotic. Some antibiotics can make lactobacillus rhamnosus GG less effective.
Culturelle Digestive Health (lactobacillus rhamnosus GG) side effects
Get emergency medical help if you have signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Although not all side effects are known, lactobacillus rhamnosus GG is thought to be likely safe for most people when used as directed.
Common side effects may include:
stomach bloating or gas.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor, pharmacist, herbalist, or other healthcare provider for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
See also: Side effects (in more detail)
What other drugs will affect Culturelle Digestive Health (lactobacillus rhamnosus GG)?
Do not take lactobacillus rhamnosus GG without medical advice if you are using any drugs that weaken the immune system such as:
steroid medicine (prednisone, dexamethasone, methylprednisolone, and others); or
medicines to prevent organ transplant rejection.
This list is not complete. Other drugs may interact with lactobacillus rhamnosus GG, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products. Not all possible interactions are listed in this product guide.
More about Culturelle Digestive Health (lactobacillus rhamnosus gg)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: antidiarrheals
Other brands: Culturelle Health and Wellness
Related treatment guides
Where can I get more information?
- Consult with a licensed healthcare professional before using any herbal/health supplement. Whether you are treated by a medical doctor or a practitioner trained in the use of natural medicines/supplements, make sure all your healthcare providers know about all of your medical conditions and treatments.
- Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.
- Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided by Cerner Multum, Inc. ('Multum') is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. Drug information contained herein may be time sensitive. Multum information has been compiled for use by healthcare practitioners and consumers in the United States and therefore Multum does not warrant that uses outside of the United States are appropriate, unless specifically indicated otherwise. Multum's drug information does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients or recommend therapy. Multum's drug information is an informational resource designed to assist licensed healthcare practitioners in caring for their patients and/or to serve consumers viewing this service as a supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgment of healthcare practitioners. The absence of a warning for a given drug or drug combination in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or drug combination is safe, effective or appropriate for any given patient. Multum does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of information Multum provides. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the drugs you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist.
Copyright 1996-2012 Cerner Multum, Inc. Version: 3.03.
Date modified: April 03, 2017
Last reviewed: March 15, 2017