How is Zulresso administered for the treatment of Postpartum Depression?
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on March 20, 2023.
How long does the treatment take? Can I receive the injection at home?
Zulresso is an injection that is given as a continuous intravenous (IV) infusion into your vein over a period of 60 hours (2.5 days).
Zulresso (brexanolone) is the first drug to be FDA approved specifically for postpartum depression, a major depressive episode that occurs following childbirth. Severe cases of postpartum depression can be life life-threatening.
Zulresso can cause serious side effects including excessive sedation (sleepiness) or sudden loss of consciousness. Before you receive Zulresso, you must first be enrolled in a program called the Zulresso REMS, a restricted program that requires that the treatment is provided under medical supervision in a certified health care facility.
You will need to be hospitalized for the entire duration of treatment, so you cannot receive the injection at home. During this period, you will be monitored for excessive sedation every two hours during the normal time you are awake, and you will have continuous pulse oximetry monitoring to monitor oxygen levels in your blood. You will also need to be accompanied during all interactions with your child(ren). Once the treatment is complete, you should not drive, operate machinery, or do other dangerous activities until feelings of sleepiness have completely gone away.
Related medical questions
- How to sleep while taking Cymbalta?
- Can depression cause headaches?
- SSRI’s vs SNRI’s - What's the difference between them?
- How long does Xanax last for / stay in your system?
- Klonopin vs Xanax - How are they different?
- Lorazepam vs Xanax: What is the difference?
- How long does Zoloft (sertraline) take to work?
- Why does Lexapro cause weight gain?
- Lexapro vs Zoloft: How do they compare?
- How long does it take for Lexapro to work?
- How long for an increased dose of Zoloft to work?
Related support groups
- Brexanolone (1 questions, 3 members)
- Zulresso (1 questions, 3 members)
- Depression (2,074 questions, 8,636 members)
- Postpartum Depression (41 questions, 108 members)