Can you take carvedilol and Entresto at the same time?
Medically reviewed by Leigh Ann Anderson, PharmD. Last updated on April 16, 2020.
Yes, you can take carvedilol with Entresto (sacubitril and valsartan) if your doctor prescribes both of these medications to be used together.
- Carvedilol is classified as a beta-blocker medication and this class of drugs is commonly used with Entresto.
- Carvedilol can help protect the heart in people with heart failure.
- Heart failure occurs when your heart is weak and cannot pump enough blood and to your lungs and the rest of your body.
Carvedilol works by decreasing the need for blood and oxygen in the heart, reduces the workload and prevents damage to the heart. It can also lead to a more regular heartbeat and lower blood pressure and may help you to live longer.
Most people who take Entresto for heart failure with reduced ejection fraction typically take other medicines for heart failure, which might include diuretics (to reduce fluid build-up), mineralocorticoid antagonists (a type of diuretic), and beta-blockers. Other medications might be used, too.
The manufacturer of Entresto, Novartis, conducted drug interaction studies with carvedilol (brand name: Coreg, Coreg CR) and did not find that Entresto and carvedilol have a specific drug-drug interaction. Studies revealed the combined use of carvedilol did not alter the overall exposure to sacubitril, LBQ657 or valsartan, the components of Entresto.
Entresto contains a combination of sacubitril, a first-in-class neprilysin inhibitor, and valsartan, an angiotensin II antagonist. It is classified as an Angiotensin Receptor Neprilysin Inhibitor (ARNI) and is used in adults to reduce the risk of death and hospitalization in patients with chronic heart failure (NYHA Class II-IV and reduced ejection fraction). It is also used to treat heart failure in children 1 to less than 18 years old.
You should NOT take Entresto if you currently take an ACE inhibitor medicine, like lisinopril or enalapril. Do not take Entresto for at least 36 hours before or after you take an ACE inhibitor medicine due to an increased risk of angioedema (a type of severe allergic reaction). Talk with your doctor or pharmacist before taking Entresto if you are not sure if you take an ACE inhibitor medication.
- Entresto (sacubitril and valsartan) [package insert]. East Hanover, NJ. Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation; 2019. Accessed April 15, 2020 athttps://www.novartis.us/sites/www.novartis.us/files/entresto.pdf
- Entresto Monograph (AHFS).Drugs.com. Accessed April 15, 2020 at https://www.drugs.com/monograph/entresto.html
Related Medical Questions
- How long does it take for Entresto to work?
- Can Entresto be cut in half or split?
- Does Entresto improve ejection fraction?
- How much does Entresto cost per month?
- Is Entresto a blood thinner and does it lower blood pressure?
- Entresto Information for Consumers
- Entresto Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Entresto (detailed)
Related Support Groups
- Entresto (15 questions, 40 members)