How do you use Baqsimi nasal powder?
Medically reviewed by Carmen Fookes, BPharm. Last updated on June 15, 2020.
- Remove the shrink wrap, insert the tip of the Baqsimi device into one nostril, and depress the plunger until the green line is no longer showing.
- Each Baqsimi device delivers one 3mg dose of glucagon dry powder.
- Each device is single-use only.
- If there is no response to Baqsimi within 15 minutes, administer a second dose using a new Baqsimi device.
Baqsimi is a dry nasal spray that delivers glucagon as a nasal powder to those having a hypoglycemic emergency (severe low blood sugar levels). It is designed for use in the nose only.
Baqsimi is used to treat hypoglycemic emergencies in adults and children over the age of four. Glucagon is a hormone that increases blood glucose levels by stimulating the release of glucose from the liver. It also slows digestion.
Baqsimi should be administered as soon as possible if you find somebody with low blood sugar levels who cannot eat, has passed out or is having a seizure. The person does not need to be able to inhale the nasal spray, it just needs to be sprayed up into one nostril where it will be quickly absorbed.
People at risk of severe low blood sugar levels should instruct those around them (family, friends, work colleagues) on how to use Baqsimi. Hypoglycemia needs to be treated as quickly as possible because having low blood sugar levels for too long can cause seizures, coma, or death.
Each Baqsimi device contains 1 dose of glucagon nasal powder and cannot be reused.
Instructions for use of Baqsimi
Administer the dose as soon as possible. Baqsimi contains a fixed dose of 3mg of glucagon which can be administered to adults and children over the age of 4.
- Remove the shrink wrap around the device by pulling on the red stripe.
- Open the lid and remove the device from the tube. Do not push the plunger or test the device until you are ready to give a dose.
- Hold the device between two fingers and your thumb.
- Insert the tip of the device gently into one nostril until your fingers touch the outside of your nose. Push the plunger all the way in.
- The dose is complete when the green line marked on the plunger disappears.
- Call for emergency help right away. Turn the person on their side and put in the recovery position if they are unconscious.
- Baqsimi takes around seven to eight minutes to start working and peak levels are reached within 30 minutes and last for at least 90 minutes.
- If the person does not respond within 15 minutes give them another dose if available. Each Baqsimi device only delivers one-dose, so a new Baqsimi device is needed.
- Encourage the person to eat as soon as they can and can swallow safely. Initially give them a fast-acting source of sugar, such as juice, then a snack such as cheese and crackers or peanut butter.
- Throw away the used Baqsimi device and tube. Arrange for a replacement Baqsimi device as soon as possible.
Always store Baqsimi in the shrink-wrapped tube at room temperature (no higher than 86°F [30°C]).
Baqsimi will work even if you have a cold or are taking cold medicine.
Related Medical Questions
- Are glucagon and glycogen the same thing?
- Insulin vs Glucagon - What do they have in common?
- How does the release of glucagon affect blood glucose levels?
- Is Baqsimi covered by Medicare?
- How much does Baqsimi cost?
- How do you administer a glucagon injection kit?
- How long does Baqsimi last?
- How do you use the GlucaGen hypokit?
- What is Gvoke (glucagon) used for and how does it work?