How long does Baqsimi last?
Medically reviewed by Carmen Fookes, BPharm. Last updated on June 15, 2020.
- One dose of Baqsimi lasts for at least 90 minutes.
- Baqsimi starts working within 7 to 8 minutes of administration, with peak levels being reached 30 minutes after administration.
- In clinical trials, 100% of people with severe hypoglycemia (low blood sugar levels) treated with Baqsimi responded within 30 minutes.
- A dose of Baqsimi should always be followed up with a fast-acting source of sugar (eg fruit juice, glucose gel) and a snack or small meal such as crackers with cheese or peanut butter, because the effects of Baqsimi will start to wear off after at least 90 minutes.
Baqsimi (glucagon nasal powder) may be used to treat severe hypoglycemia (low blood sugar/glucose levels) in adults and children over the age of four.
Glucagon, the medicine Baqsimi contains, is a hormone that increases blood glucose levels by stimulating the release of glucose from the liver. It also slows down digestion.
Baqsimi is a dry nasal spray that is given into one nostril for low blood sugar emergencies to people who cannot eat, have passed out, or who are having a seizure due to low blood sugar levels (hypoglycemia). People do not need to sniff it up for it to work, just spraying it inside the nostril is sufficient.
Hypoglycemia needs to be treated as quickly as possible, because having low blood sugar levels for too long can cause seizures, coma, or death. Each Baqsimi device contains 1 dose of glucagon nasal powder and cannot be reused.
Baqsimi starts working approximately seven to eight minutes after administration with peak plasma levels reached in 15 to 20 minutes.
- In trials, 100% of people given Baqsimi achieved treatment success, which was defined as an increase in blood glucose levels within 30 minutes to ≥70 mg/dL or an increase of ≥20 mg/dL from the lowest glucose level reported at the time of severe hypoglycemia.
- In clinical trials, one dose of Baqsimi kept blood sugar levels high for at least 90 minutes. After using Baqsimi nasal powder, the person with the low blood sugar should eat a fast-acting source of sugar (such as fruit juice, glucose gel, hard candy, raisins, or non-diet soda) and then eat a snack or small meal such as crackers with cheese or peanut butter.
- Baqsimi (glucagon nasal spray) 08/2019 Eli Lilly and Company https://www.drugs.com/pro/baqsimi.html
Related Medical Questions
- Are glucagon and glycogen the same thing?
- Insulin vs Glucagon - What do they have in common?
- How does the release of glucagon affect blood glucose levels?
- Is Baqsimi covered by Medicare?
- How much does Baqsimi cost?
- How do you use Baqsimi nasal powder?
- How do you administer a glucagon injection kit?
- How do you use the GlucaGen hypokit?
- What is Gvoke (glucagon) used for and how does it work?