What is Gvoke (glucagon) used for and how does it work?
Medically reviewed by Melisa Puckey, BPharm. Last updated on June 15, 2020.
What is Gvoke used for?
Gvoke (glucagon) is an injection used to treat very low blood sugar (severe hypoglycemia) in diabetic patients. Gvoke injection helps increase the blood sugar levels and can be lifesaving if a patient has severely low blood sugar and is unable to eat or drink something to increase it.
Severe hypoglycemia should be treated as an emergency as if it is left untreated it may cause seizure, coma or death
Symptoms of very low blood sugar are:
- Coordination difficulties
- Difficulty eating or drinking due to confusion or being uncooperative
How does Gvoke work?
Gvoke comes as a premixed, prefilled, premeasured, and ready to use injection.
Once the Gvoke injection has been used it stimulates the release of sugar into the bloodstream. It does this by stimulating the liver to turn stored glucogen into glucose, which is then released into the bloodstream and results in an increase in blood glucose levels.
Once the blood sugars have returned to a more normal level the patient should become alert and be able to eat. Even if a patient seems well, after having very low blood sugar levels, the patient should still see their health care professional promptly.
Severe low blood sugar is an emergency and you should not leave the person alone.
- Gvoke is a ready to use injection used to treat very low blood sugar in diabetic patients.
- Severe low blood sugar levels is an emergency as it may cause seizure, coma or death.
- Gvoke works by making the liver turn stored glycogen into glucose, which is then released into the bloodstream and therefore increases blood glucose levels.
Related Medical Questions
- Are glucagon and glycogen the same thing?
- Insulin vs Glucagon - What do they have in common?
- How does the release of glucagon affect blood glucose levels?
- Is Baqsimi covered by Medicare?
- How much does Baqsimi cost?
- How do you use Baqsimi nasal powder?
- How do you administer a glucagon injection kit?
- How long does Baqsimi last?
- How do you use the GlucaGen hypokit?