Does Ubrelvy cause rebound headaches?
Rebound or medication overuse headache has not been reported to be an issue for people using Ubrelvy (ubrogepant) to treat their migraine headaches.
Rebound headache can occur after frequent use of painkillers or other medications, such as triptans or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). It typically occurs in people who use these medications to treat headache disorders, such as migraine. People suffering from rebound headaches find that as their medication wears off a dull constant headache appears, which can lead to a vicious cycle resulting in more medication use and more headaches.
Ubrelvy belongs to a group of medications known as small molecule calcitonin gene-related peptide receptor antagonists or gepants. It is available in tablet form (50 and 100mg) and is taken orally.
Ubrelvy is used to treat migraine with or without aura and can be taken twice in a 24 hour period, up to a maximum of Ubrelvy 200mg per day. A minimum of 2 hours between doses is necessary. It’s not known whether it’s safe to use Ubrelvy for the treatment of more than 8 migraines in 30 days.
- Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Ubrelvy. [Accessed October 12, 2021]. Available from: https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2019/211765s000lbl.pdf.
- The Migraine Trust. Medication overuse headache. [Accessed October 12, 2021]. Available from: https://migrainetrust.org/understand-migraine/types-of-migraine/medication-overuse-headache/.
- American Migraine Foundation. How Gepants and Ditans Complement Existing Therapies. April 16, 2020. [Accessed October 12, 2021]. Available from: https://americanmigrainefoundation.org/resource-library/gepants-ditans-therapies/.
- Moreno-Ajona D, Pérez-Rodríguez A, Goadsby PJ. Gepants, calcitonin-gene-related peptide receptor antagonists: what could be their role in migraine treatment?. Curr Opin Neurol. 2020;33(3):309-315. doi:10.1097/WCO.0000000000000806.
Related medical questions
- What are the new drugs for the treatment of migraines?
- Is Ubrelvy better than triptans?
- Does Ubrelvy affect the liver?
- Is Ubrelvy a triptan?
- Which medication should I use for migraine headaches?
- How do Ubrelvy, Qulipta and Nurtec compare for migraines?
- What is Ubrelvy used for and how fast does Ubrelvy work?
- Ubrelvy vs Imitrex (sumatriptan): How do they compare?
- Ubrelvy vs Emgality: How do they compare for migraines?
- Is Ubrelvy a narcotic used for migraine?
- How do you take Ubrelvy tablets?
- Ubrelvy Information for Consumers
- Ubrelvy Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Ubrelvy (detailed)