What is Activis used for?
Activis is an antacid medicine used to treat heartburn, acid reflux, bloating and gas, or upset stomach caused by eating or drinking too much. Activis is listed as an international medication from India that contains aluminum hydroxide, magnesium hydroxide, and simethicone. In the US, these ingredients are also found in Mylanta, Gelusil, and other over-the-counter (OTC) products.
Antacids work by raising the stomach pH to help neutralize acid.
- Aluminum is a naturally occurring mineral. Aluminum hydroxide is used as an antacid.
- Magnesium is also a naturally occurring mineral also used as an antacid. When not combined with aluminum, it can be used as a laxative to relieve constipation. It does this by increasing water in the intestines to induce a bowel movement. Magnesium can cause diarrhea and aluminum can cause constipation.
- Simethicone is an antigas (antiflatulent) agent. It helps to relieve painful pressure caused by excess gas in the stomach and intestines.
Is Activis available in the US?
No, the brand name product Activis is not available in the US. Similar medicines containing aluminum hydroxide, magnesium hydroxide, and simethicone can be found over-the-counter (OTC) in American pharmacies. These can be purchased without a prescription from the pharmacy, grocery or other retail shops. Liquid antacids usually work faster than oral tablets, capsules, or chewable tablets.
Store brands or generics are also available to help lower cost. Ask your pharmacist if you need help finding an equivalent product for your symptoms.
Brand or stores names found in the US include:
- GoodSense Advanced Antacid
- GoodSense Antacid & Gas Relief
- HyVee Advanced Antacid
- Mylanta Coat and Cool
- Mylanta Maximum Strength
- Mintox Plus
How does Activis come in Canada?
Activis is not available in Canada; however, the same active ingredients known as aluminum hydroxide, magnesium hydroxide, and simethicone are available in a brand name product called:
In which countries is Activis available?
The active ingredients in Activis (known as aluminum hydroxide, magnesium hydroxide, and simethicone) are available in multiple countries around the world, but may be found by different generic or brand names. Note that some medications may also be available in countries not listed or may be recently discontinued in that country. Always consult country-specific product labeling before use of any medication.
- Great Britain
- Hong Kong
- New Zealand
- Sri Lanka
- United States
This information is not a substitute for the expertise and judgement of your physician, pharmacist or other healthcare provider. It does not mean that the use of any medication in any country is safe, legal, appropriate or effective for you. Consult with your healthcare professional before taking any medication.
- Activis. International Drugs. Drugs.com. Accessed July 1, 2022.
- Aluminum hydroxide, magnesium hydroxide, and simethicone: Drug information Waltham, MA: Lexicomp Online. UpToDate, Inc.; Accessed July 1, 2022.
- Vakil N (author). Antiulcer medications: Mechanism of action, pharmacology, and side effects. Up to Date. Accessed July 1, 2022 at https://www.uptodate.com/contents/antiulcer-medications-mechanism-of-action-pharmacology-and-side-effects
Related medical questions
- Is famotidine safer than omeprazole for heartburn?
- Can you take famotidine long term?
- Can I take omeprazole in the morning and famotidine at night?
- What does heartburn feel like?
- Over the Counter Medication for Pets
- Heartburn vs Acid Reflux vs GERD - What is the difference?
- What foods should I avoid when taking omeprazole?
- Can you take an antacid with omeprazole?
- Nexium vs Prilosec: What's the difference between them?
- Can you take metformin without food?
- Does omeprazole cause cancer?