How long does it take for Kevzara to work?
- Kevzara usually takes between two and 12 weeks to start working for rheumatoid arthritis (RA). It may take up to 12 weeks to work in patients with polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR).
- Kevzara blocks the actions of interleukin-6, a type of protein that significantly contributes to the symptoms of RA and PMR.
- It reduces symptoms of RA such as painful, tender and swollen joints; anemia, osteoporosis, and fatigue. In PMR, almost three times as many patients were described as being in sustained clinical remission after 52 weeks of treatment compared to those assigned placebo.
Kevzara (sarilumab) is used to treat moderate to severe rheumatoid arthritis (RA) or PMR in adults.
It belongs to a family of medicines called interleukin-6 (IL-6) inhibitors and is a type of biologic.
Kevazara works by blocking the effects of a protein called interleukin-6. IL-6 is a type of inflammatory cytokine and it is involved in several different processes within the body, including inducing the production of C-reactive protein (CRP) by the liver.
IL-6 contributes significantly to the symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis and PMR. It is found in abundance in the synovial fluid and serum of people with RA and levels of IL-6 are higher during periods of increased disease activity and joint destruction. It also contributes to other symptoms of RA, such as anemia, osteoporosis, and fatigue. Levels of IL-6 are elevated in people with PMR, and high levels correlate with disease activity and systemic inflammation.
Kevzara is usually given once every two weeks as a subcutaneous (under the skin) injection.
Following a single injection of Kevzara, a rapid reduction in CRP levels was observed within two weeks in most people, although it may take up to 12 weeks (three months) for Kevzara to work in some people.
Even if Kevzara doesn’t seem to be working for you at first, you should continue administering it every two weeks until 12 weeks have passed.
Kevzara reduced symptoms such as painful, tender and swollen joints. It has also been shown to slow the progression of RA, protecting the joints from further damage. In PMR, Kevzara can induce sustained periods of remission.
Kevzara is usually given after other medications for RA have been tried and shown not to work. It is usually given in addition to other medications, such as methotrexate. In PMR, Kevzara is used in adults who have not responded to corticosteroids or who cannot tolerate a decrease in corticosteroid dose.
- Kevzara (sarilumab) You’ve just started KEVZARA. So what’s ahead? Sanofi Genzyme. https://www.kevzara.com/starting-kevzara/what-to-expect
- Kevzara (sarilumab) [Package Insert] Updated 03/2022. sanofi-aventis U.S. LLC https://www.drugs.com/pro/kevzara.html
- Your Guide to Treatment with Kevzara for PMR (polymyalgia rheumatica). Sanofi/Regeneron https://www.kevzara.com/resources/images/pdf/kevzara_overview_brochure.pdf
Related medical questions
- What are the new drugs for rheumatoid arthritis (RA)?
- Does Kevzara cause weight gain?
- How do you use Kevzara (sarilumab) for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis?