How is Troxyca ER formulated to be abuse deterrent?
Troxyca ER (oxycodone hydrochloride and naltrexone hydrochloride) capsules contain pellets of oxycodone with a naltrexone core. If the pellets are crushed, the naltrexone blocks the euphoric effects of the oxycodone.
Troxyca ER has been discontinued and is no longer available for use.
What is Troxyca ER?
Troxyca ER is a combination of oxycodone hydrochloride (an opioid agonist) and naltrexone hydrochloride (an opioid antagonist) indicated for the management of pain severe enough to require daily, around-the-clock, long-term opioid treatment and for which alternative treatment options are inadequate.
Troxyca ER is formulated as extended-release capsules. It is a Schedule II controlled substance with a high potential for abuse and and dependence.
How is Troxyca ER Abuse-Deterrent?
Troxyca ER contain pellets that consist of oxycodone hydrochloride with sequestered naltrexone hydrochloride. When taken as directed, the naltrexone remains sequestered and patients receive oxycodone in an extended-release manner as intended.
If the pellets are crushed, the sequestered naltrexone is released and it counteracts the effects of oxycodone.
Abuse or misuse of Troxyca ER by cutting, breaking, chewing, crushing, or dissolving the pellets in Troxyca ER and then swallowing, snorting or injecting will result in the uncontrolled delivery of the oxycodone and can result in overdose and death.
Misuse or abuse of Troxyca ER may also release sufficient naltrexone to precipitate withdrawal in opioid-dependent individuals.
While Troxyca ER is designed to reduce abuse when crushed and administered by the oral and intranasal routes, abuse by these routes is still possible.
Related medical questions
- Meloxicam vs Ibuprofen, what's the difference?
- Aleve vs Ibuprofen: What's the difference?
- Naproxen vs ibuprofen: What's the difference?
- Does gabapentin help treat nerve pain?
- What's the difference between aspirin and ibuprofen?
- Can you take ibuprofen on an empty stomach?
- Can you take expired ibuprofen?
- What is low dose naltrexone (LDN)?
- Can you overdose on ibuprofen?
- Can you take tramadol with acetaminophen, ibuprofen, or aspirin?
- Can you drink alcohol with ibuprofen?
- Troxyca ER Information for Consumers
- Troxyca ER prescribing info & package insert (for Health Professionals)
- Side Effects of Troxyca ER (detailed)