Xigduo XR Dosage
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Jan 21, 2020.
Generic name: DAPAGLIFLOZIN PROPANEDIOL 10mg, METFORMIN HYDROCHLORIDE 500mg
Dosage form: tablet, film coated, extended release
Prior to Initiation of XIGDUO XR
- Assess renal function before initiating XIGDUO XR therapy and periodically thereafter [see Warnings and Precautions (5.1, 5.4)].
- In patients with volume depletion, correct this condition prior to initiation of XIGDUO XR [see Warnings and Precautions (5.2) and Use in Specific Populations (8.5, 8.6)].
- Take XIGDUO XR once daily in the morning with food.
- Swallow XIGDUO XR tablets whole and never crush, cut, or chew. Occasionally, the inactive ingredients of XIGDUO XR will be eliminated in the feces as a soft, hydrated mass that may resemble the original tablet.
- Individualize the starting dose of XIGDUO XR based upon the patient’s current regimen.
- To improve glycemic control for patients not already taking dapagliflozin, the recommended starting dose for dapagliflozin is 5 mg once daily.
- To reduce the risk of hospitalization for heart failure, the recommended dose for dapagliflozin is 10 mg once daily.
- For patients requiring a dose of 5 mg dapagliflozin and 2000 mg metformin HCl extended-release, use two of the 2.5 mg dapagliflozin/1000 mg metformin HCl extended-release tablets.
- Dosing may be adjusted based on effectiveness and tolerability while not exceeding the maximum recommended daily dose of 10 mg dapagliflozin and 2000 mg metformin HCl.
- Patients taking an evening dose of metformin XR should skip their last dose before starting XIGDUO XR.
Patients with Renal Impairment
XIGDUO XR is contraindicated in patients with an estimated glomerular filtration rate (eGFR) below 30 mL/min/1.73 m2 [see Contraindications (4), Warnings and Precautions (5.1, 5.4), and Use in Specific Populations (8.6)].
No dose adjustment for XIGDUO XR is needed in patients with an eGFR greater than or equal to 45 mL/min/1.73 m2.
XIGDUO XR is not recommended in patients with an eGFR below 45 mL/min/1.73 m2.
Discontinuation for Iodinated Contrast Imaging Procedures
Discontinue XIGDUO XR at the time of, or prior to, an iodinated contrast imaging procedure in patients with a history of liver disease, alcoholism or heart failure; or in patients who will be administered intra-arterial iodinated contrast. Re-evaluate eGFR 48 hours after the imaging procedure; restart XIGDUO XR if renal function is stable [see Warnings and Precautions (5.1)].
Frequently asked questions
More about Xigduo XR (dapagliflozin / metformin)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 11 Reviews
- Drug class: antidiabetic combinations
- FDA Alerts (4)
- FDA Approval History
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.