Voltaren Gel Dosage
Generic name: DICLOFENAC SODIUM 10mg in 1g
Dosage form: gel
The information at Drugs.com is not a substitute for medical advice. Always consult your doctor or pharmacist.
Use the lowest effective dosage for the shortest duration consistent with individual patient treatment goals [see Warnings and Precautions (5)].
[See the Patient Instructions for Use]
The dosing card can be found attached to the inside of the carton.
The proper amount of VOLTAREN® GEL should be measured using the dosing card supplied in the drug product carton. The dosing card is made of clear polypropylene. The dosing card should be used for each application of drug product. The gel should be applied within the rectangular area of the dosing card up to the 2 gram or 4 gram line (2 g for each elbow, wrist, or hand, and 4 g for each knee, ankle, or foot). The 2 g line is 2.25 inches long. The 4 g line is 4.5 inches long. The dosing card containing VOLTAREN® GEL can be used to apply the gel. The hands should then be used to gently rub the gel into the skin. After using the dosing card, hold with fingertips, rinse, and dry. If treatment site is the hands, patients should wait at least one (1) hour to wash their hands.
Lower extremities, including the feet, ankles, or knees
Apply the gel (4 g) to the affected foot, ankle, or knee 4 times daily. VOLTAREN® GEL should be gently massaged into the skin ensuring application to the entire affected foot, or knee or ankle. The entire foot includes the sole, top of the foot and the toes. Do not apply more than 16 g daily to any single joint of the lower extremities.
Upper extremities including the hands, wrists, or elbows
Apply the gel (2 g) to the affected hand, wrist, or elbow 4 times daily. VOLTAREN® GEL should be gently massaged into the skin ensuring application to the entire affected hand, wrist, or elbow. The entire hand includes the palm, back of the hands, and the fingers. Do not apply more than 8 g daily to any single joint of the upper extremities.
Total dose should not exceed 32 g per day, over all affected joints.
- Avoid showering/bathing for at least 1 hour after the application. Inform patient to wash his/her hands after use, unless the hands are the treated joint. If VOLTAREN® GEL is applied to the hand(s) for treatment; inform patient not to wash the treated hand(s) for at least 1 hour after the application.
- Do not apply VOLTAREN® GEL to open wounds.
- Avoid contact of VOLTAREN® GEL with eyes and mucous membranes.
- Do not apply external heat and/or occlusive dressings to treated joints.
- Avoid exposure of the treated joint(s) to natural or artificial sunlight.
- Avoid concomitant use of VOLTAREN® GEL on the treated skin site with other topical products, including sunscreens, cosmetics, lotions, moisturizers, insect repellants, or other topical medications.
- Concomitant use of VOLTAREN® GEL with oral non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) has not been evaluated, and may increase adverse NSAIDs effects. Do not use combination therapy with VOLTAREN® GEL and an oral NSAID unless the benefit outweighs the risk and conduct periodic laboratory evaluations.
- Avoid wearing of clothing or gloves for at least 10 minutes after applying VOLTAREN® GEL.
More about Voltaren Gel (diclofenac topical)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 140 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: topical non-steroidal anti-inflammatories