TriNessa Lo Dosage
Generic name: norgestimate 0.18mg, ethinyl estradiol 0.025mg; norgestimate 0.215mg, ethinyl estradiol 0.025mg; norgestimate 0.25mg, ethinyl estradiol 0.025mg;
Dosage form: tablets
Medically reviewed on December 4, 2017.
How to Start TriNessa Lo
TriNessa Lo is dispensed in a VERIDATE Tablet Dispenser [see How Supplied/Storage and Handling (16)]. TriNessa Lo may be started using either a Day 1 start or a Sunday start (see Table 1). For the first cycle of a Sunday Start regimen, an additional method of contraception should be used until after the first 7 consecutive days of administration.
How to Take TriNessa Lo
|Starting COCs in women not currently using hormonal contraception (Day 1 Start or Sunday Start)
Consider the possibility of ovulation and conception prior to initiation of this product.
|Day 1 Start:
|Switching to TriNessa Lo from another oral contraceptive||Start on the same day that a new pack of the previous oral contraceptive would have started.|
|Switching from another contraceptive method to TriNessa Lo||Start TriNessa Lo:|
|Complete instructions to facilitate patient counseling on proper tablet usage are located in the FDA-Approved Patient Labeling.|
Starting TriNessa Lo after Abortion or Miscarriage
- After a first-trimester abortion or miscarriage, TriNessa Lo may be started immediately. An additional method of contraception is not needed if TriNessa Lo is started immediately.
- If TriNessa Lo is not started within 5 days after termination of the pregnancy, the patient should use additional non-hormonal contraception (such as condoms and spermicide) for the first seven days of her first cycle pack of TriNessa Lo.
- Do not start until 4 weeks after a second-trimester abortion or miscarriage, due to the increased risk of thromboembolic disease. Start TriNessa Lo, following the instructions in Table 1 for Day 1 or Sunday start, as desired. If using Sunday start, use additional non-hormonal contraception (such as condoms and spermicide) for the first seven days of the patient's first cycle pack of TriNessa Lo. [See Contraindications (4), Warnings and Precautions (5.1), and FDA-Approved Patient Labeling.]
Starting TriNessa Lo after Childbirth
- Do not start until 4 weeks after delivery, due to the increased risk of thromboembolic disease. Start contraceptive therapy with TriNessa Lo following the instructions in Table 1 for women not currently using hormonal contraception.
- TriNessa Lo is not recommended for use in lactating women [see Use in Specific Populations (8.3)].
- If the woman has not yet had a period postpartum, consider the possibility of ovulation and conception occurring prior to use of TriNessa Lo [see Contraindications (4), Warnings and Precautions (5.1), Use in Specific Populations (8.1 and 8.3), and FDA-Approved Patient Labeling].
VERIDATE® Tablet Dispenser
- Place the refill in the VERIDATE Tablet Dispenser so that the V notch in the refill is at the top of the dispenser. Press the refill down so that it fits firmly under all the nibs (see illustration below).
- If the patient starts pill-taking on Sunday, the first active pill should be taken on the first Sunday after the patient's menstrual period begins. Remove the first active pill at the top of the dispenser (Sunday) by pressing the pill through the hole in the bottom of the dispenser.
- If the patient will start pill-taking on a day other than Sunday, a calendar label has been provided and should be placed over the calendar in the center of the VERIDATE. To place the label correctly, identify the correct starting day, locate that day printed in blue on the label, and line that day up with the first white pill directly under the V notch at the top of the dispenser. Remove the label from the backing. Press the center of the label down onto the center of the printed calendar. Remove that white pill by pressing the pill through the hole in the bottom of the dispenser.
- After all the dark green pills have been taken, insert a new refill into the VERIDATE. The patient should take the first pill on the next day, even if the patient's period is not over yet.
||Take the tablet as soon as possible. Continue taking one tablet a day until the pack is finished.|
||Take the two missed tablets as soon as possible and the next two active tablets the next day. Continue taking one tablet a day until the pack is finished. Additional non-hormonal contraception (such as condoms and spermicide) should be used as back-up if the patient has sex within 7 days after missing tablets.|
||Day 1 start: Throw out the rest of the pack and start a new pack that same day.
Sunday start: Continue taking one tablet a day until Sunday, then throw out the rest of the pack and start a new pack that same day. Additional non-hormonal contraception (such as condoms and spermicide) should be used as back-up if the patient has sex within 7 days after missing tablets.
Advice in Case of Gastrointestinal Disturbances
In case of severe vomiting or diarrhea, absorption may not be complete and additional contraceptive measures should be taken. If vomiting or diarrhea occurs within 3 to 4 hours after taking an active tablet, handle this as a missed tablet [see FDA-Approved Patient Labeling].
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about TriNessa Lo (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate)
- TriNessa Lo Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- 36 Reviews
- Drug class: contraceptives