Trijardy XR Dosage
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Jun 16, 2021.
Generic name: EMPAGLIFLOZIN 5mg, LINAGLIPTIN 2.5mg, METFORMIN HYDROCHLORIDE 1000mg
Dosage form: tablet, extended release
Prior to Initiation of TRIJARDY XR
Recommended Dosage and Administration
- Individualize the starting dose of TRIJARDY XR based on the patient's current regimen:
- In patients on metformin HCl, with or without linagliptin, switch to TRIJARDY XR containing a similar total daily dose of metformin HCl and a total daily dose of empagliflozin 10 mg and linagliptin 5 mg;
- In patients on metformin HCl and any regimen containing empagliflozin, with or without linagliptin, switch to TRIJARDY XR containing a similar total daily dose of metformin HCl, the same total daily dose of empagliflozin and linagliptin 5 mg.
- Monitor effectiveness and tolerability, and adjust dosing as appropriate, not to exceed the maximum recommended daily dose of empagliflozin 25 mg, linagliptin 5 mg and metformin HCl 2000 mg.
- Take TRIJARDY XR orally, once daily with a meal in the morning.
- Take TRIJARDY XR 10 mg/5 mg/1000 mg or TRIJARDY XR 25 mg/5 mg/1000 mg as a single tablet once daily.
- Take TRIJARDY XR 5 mg/2.5 mg/1000 mg or TRIJARDY XR 12.5 mg/2.5 mg/1000 mg as two tablets together once daily.
- Swallow TRIJARDY XR tablets whole. Do not split, crush, dissolve, or chew.
Dosage Recommendations in Patients with Renal Impairment
- Initiation of TRIJARDY XR is not recommended in patients with an eGFR less than 45 mL/min/1.73 m2, due to the metformin component.
- TRIJARDY XR is contraindicated in patients with an eGFR less than 30 mL/min/1.73 m2 or in patients on dialysis [see Contraindications (4), Warnings and Precautions (5.1, 5.4) and Use in Specific Populations (8.6)].
Discontinuation for Iodinated Contrast Imaging Procedures
Discontinue TRIJARDY XR at the time of, or prior to, an iodinated contrast imaging procedure in patients with an eGFR less than 60 mL/min/1.73 m2; in patients with a history of liver disease, alcoholism or heart failure; or in patients who will be administered intra-arterial iodinated contrast. Re-evaluate eGFR 48 hours after the imaging procedure; restart TRIJARDY XR if renal function is stable [see Warnings and Precautions (5.1)].
More about Trijardy XR (empagliflozin / linagliptin / metformin)
- Side effects
- Drug interactions
- During pregnancy
- Drug images
- Pricing & coupons
- En español
- Drug class: antidiabetic combinations
- FDA approval history
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.