Synjardy XR Dosage
Generic name: EMPAGLIFLOZIN 10mg, METFORMIN HYDROCHLORIDE 1000mg
Dosage form: tablet, extended release
Drug class: Antidiabetic combinations
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Mar 22, 2022.
Prior to Initiation of SYNJARDY XR
Recommended Dosage and Administration
- Individualize the starting dose of SYNJARDY XR based on the patient's current regimen:
- In patients on metformin HCl, switch to SYNJARDY XR containing a similar total daily dose of metformin HCl and a total daily dose of empagliflozin 10 mg;
- In patients on empagliflozin, switch to SYNJARDY XR containing the same total daily dose of empagliflozin and a total daily dose of metformin HCl extended-release 1000 mg;
- In patients already treated with empagliflozin and metformin HCl, switch to SYNJARDY XR containing the same total daily doses of empagliflozin and a similar total daily dose of metformin HCl.
- Monitor effectiveness and tolerability, and adjust dosing as appropriate, not to exceed the maximum recommended daily dose of empagliflozin 25 mg and metformin HCl 2000 mg.
- The dose of metformin HCl should be gradually escalated to reduce the gastrointestinal side effects due to metformin.
- Take SYNJARDY XR orally once daily with a meal in the morning
- Swallow SYNJARDY XR tablets whole. Do not split, crush, dissolve, or chew.
- SYNJARDY XR 10 mg/1000 mg and 25 mg/1000 mg tablets should be taken as a single tablet once daily. SYNJARDY XR 5 mg/1000 mg and 12.5 mg/1000 mg tablets should be taken as two tablets together once daily.
Dosage Recommendations in Patients with Renal Impairment
- Initiation of SYNJARDY XR is not recommended in patients with an eGFR less than 45 mL/min/1.73 m2, due to the metformin component.
- SYNJARDY XR is contraindicated in patients with an eGFR less than 30 mL/min/1.73 m2 or in patients on dialysis [see Contraindications (4), Warnings and Precautions (5.1) and Use in Specific Populations (8.6)].
Discontinuation for Iodinated Contrast Imaging Procedures
Discontinue SYNJARDY XR at the time of, or prior to, an iodinated contrast imaging procedure in patients with an eGFR less than 60 mL/min/1.73 m2; in patients with a history of liver disease, alcoholism or heart failure; or in patients who will be administered intra-arterial iodinated contrast. Re-evaluate eGFR 48 hours after the imaging procedure; restart SYNJARDY XR if renal function is stable [see Warnings and Precautions (5.1)].
More about Synjardy XR (empagliflozin / metformin)
- Side effects
- Drug interactions
- During pregnancy
- Reviews (10)
- Drug images
- Pricing & coupons
- En español
- Drug class: antidiabetic combinations
- Other brands
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.