Generic name: PHENTERMINE HYDROCHLORIDE 3.75mg, TOPIRAMATE 23mg
Dosage form: capsule, extended release
Medically reviewed on March 28, 2018.
General Dosing and Administration
Determine the patient's BMI. BMI is calculated by dividing weight (in kilograms) by height (in meters) squared. A BMI conversion chart (Table 1) based on height [inches (in) or centimeters (cm)] and weight [pounds (lb) or kilograms (kg)] is provided below.
|Table 1. BMI Conversion Chart|
In adults with an initial BMI of 30 kg/m2 or greater or 27 kg/m2 or greater when accompanied by weight-related co-morbidities such as hypertension, type 2 diabetes mellitus, or dyslipidemia prescribe Qsymia as follows:
- Take Qsymia once daily in the morning with or without food. Avoid dosing with Qsymia in the evening due to the possibility of insomnia.
- Start treatment with Qsymia 3.75 mg/23 mg (phentermine 3.75 mg/topiramate 23 mg extended-release) daily for 14 days; after 14 days increase to the recommended dose of Qsymia 7.5 mg/46 mg (phentermine 7.5 mg/topiramate 46 mg extended-release) once daily.
- Evaluate weight loss after 12 weeks of treatment with Qsymia 7.5 mg/46 mg.
If a patient has not lost at least 3% of baseline body weight on Qsymia 7.5 mg/46 mg, discontinue Qsymia or escalate the dose, as it is unlikely that the patient will achieve and sustain clinically meaningful weight loss at the Qsymia 7.5 mg/46 mg dose.
To escalate the dose: Increase to Qsymia 11.25 mg/69 mg (phentermine 11.25 mg/topiramate 69 mg extended-release) daily for 14 days; followed by dosing Qsymia 15 mg/92 mg (phentermine 15 mg/topiramate 92 mg extended-release) once daily.
- Evaluate weight loss following dose escalation to Qsymia 15 mg/92 mg after an additional 12 weeks of treatment.
If a patient has not lost at least 5% of baseline body weight on Qsymia 15 mg/92 mg, discontinue Qsymia as directed, as it is unlikely that the patient will achieve and sustain clinically meaningful weight loss with continued treatment.
- Qsymia 3.75 mg/23 mg and Qsymia 11.25 mg/69 mg are for titration purposes only.
- Discontinue Qsymia 15 mg/92 mg gradually by taking a dose every other day for at least 1 week prior to stopping treatment altogether, due to the possibility of precipitating a seizure [see Warnings and Precautions (5.12)].
Dosing in Patients with Renal Impairment
In patients with moderate (creatinine clearance [CrCl] greater than or equal to 30 and less than 50 mL/min) or severe (CrCl less than 30 mL/min) renal impairment dosing should not exceed Qsymia 7.5 mg/46 mg once daily. Renal impairment is determined by calculating CrCl using the Cockcroft-Gault equation with actual body weight [see Warnings and Precautions (5.13) and Clinical Pharmacology (12.3)].
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about Qsymia (phentermine / topiramate)
- Qsymia Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 491 Reviews
- Drug class: anorexiants
- FDA Alerts (1)