Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Jul 22, 2022.
Applies to the following strengths: 35 mg; 105 mg
Usual Adult Dose for:
Usual Pediatric Dose for:
Additional dosage information:
Usual Adult Dose for Obesity
Extended-release: 105 mg orally once a day, 30 to 60 minutes before morning meal
Immediate-release: 35 mg orally 2 or 3 times a day, one hour before meals
- Dosage should be individualized to obtain an adequate response with the lowest effective dose; for some patients, 17.5 mg per dose may be adequate
- For use as monotherapy only; indicated for short term use, e.g. a few weeks.
Uses: Management of exogenous obesity as a short-term adjunct in a regimen of weight reduction based on caloric restriction in patients with:
- an initial BMI of 30 kg/m2 or greater OR
- an initial BMI of 27 kg/m2 or greater in the presence of other risk factors (e.g., hypertension, diabetes, hyperlipidemia) who have not responded to appropriate weight reducing regimen (diet and/or exercise) alone.
Usual Pediatric Dose for Obesity
Extended-release (17 years and older): See Adult Dose
Renal Dose Adjustments
Data not available; Use with caution.
Liver Dose Adjustments
Data not available
Elderly: Dose selection should be cautious
When Tolerance to Anorectic Effect Develops (usually occurs within a few weeks):
- Discontinue treatment; maximum recommended dose should not be exceeded.
Extended-release: Safety and efficacy have not been established in patients younger than 17 years.
Immediate-release: Safety and efficacy have not been established in patients younger than 18 years.
Consult WARNINGS section for additional precautions.
US Controlled Substance: Schedule III
Data not available
- Immediate-release tablet: Take orally 2 or 3 times a day 1 hour before meals
- Extended-release capsules: Take orally 30 to 60 minutes before morning meal
- This drug should be used as monotherapy; efficacy with other anorectic agents has not been studied and the combine use may have the potential for serious cardiac problems.
- Patients should be instructed to read the patient labeling.
More about phendimetrazine
- Check interactions
- Pricing & coupons
- Reviews (153)
- Drug images
- Side effects
- During pregnancy
- Drug class: anorexiants
- En español
- Drug Information
- Phendimetrazine (Advanced Reading)
- Phendimetrazine Tablets
- Phendimetrazine Extended-Release Capsules
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.