Generic name: Human Albumin Microspheres 10mg in 1mL
Dosage form: injection, solution
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Aug 28, 2020.
The recommended dose of OPTISON is 0.5 mL injected into a peripheral vein. This may be repeated for further contrast enhancement as needed. See individualization of dose below.
- The injection rate should not exceed 1 mL per second.
- Follow the OPTISON injection with a flush of 0.9% Sodium Chloride Injection, USP, or 5% Dextrose Injection, USP.
- The maximum total dose should not exceed 5.0 mL in any 10 minute period.
- The maximum total dose should not exceed 8.7 mL in any one patient study.
Individualization of Dose
Image quality in cardiac ultrasound is a function of the acoustic window which is influenced by many variables including body habitus, intervening lung tissue, adequacy of transducer skin interface and other acoustic factors. These variables may influence the ultrasound contrast effect.
If the contrast enhancement is inadequate after the dose of 0.5 mL, additional doses in increments of 0.5 mL up to 5.0 mL cumulatively in a 10 minute period may be injected intravenously up to a maximum total dose of 8.7 mL in any one patient study.
More about Optison (perflutren)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- Drug class: ultrasound contrast media
- FDA Alerts (2)
Other brands: Definity