Mounjaro Injection Dosage
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Aug 28, 2023.
- The recommended starting dosage of MOUNJARO is 2.5 mg injected subcutaneously once weekly. The 2.5 mg dosage is for treatment initiation and is not intended for glycemic control.
- After 4 weeks, increase the dosage to 5 mg injected subcutaneously once weekly.
- If additional glycemic control is needed, increase the dosage in 2.5 mg increments after at least 4 weeks on the current dose.
- The maximum dosage of MOUNJARO is 15 mg injected subcutaneously once weekly.
- If a dose is missed, instruct patients to administer MOUNJARO as soon as possible within 4 days (96 hours) after the missed dose. If more than 4 days have passed, skip the missed dose and administer the next dose on the regularly scheduled day. In each case, patients can then resume their regular once weekly dosing schedule.
- The day of weekly administration can be changed, if necessary, as long as the time between the two doses is at least 3 days (72 hours).
Important Administration Instructions
- Prior to initiation, train patients and caregivers on proper injection technique [see Instructions for Use].
- Instruct patients using the single-dose vial to use a syringe appropriate for dose administration (e.g., a 1 mL syringe capable of measuring a 0.5 mL dose).
- Administer MOUNJARO once weekly, any time of day, with or without meals.
- Inject MOUNJARO subcutaneously in the abdomen, thigh, or upper arm.
- Rotate injection sites with each dose.
- Inspect MOUNJARO visually before use. It should appear clear and colorless to slightly yellow. Do not use MOUNJARO if particulate matter or discoloration is seen.
- When using MOUNJARO with insulin, administer as separate injections and never mix. It is acceptable to inject MOUNJARO and insulin in the same body region, but the injections should not be adjacent to each other.
Frequently asked questions
- How do Mounjaro, Wegovy & Ozempic compare for weight loss?
- Mounjaro vs Ozempic: How do they compare?
- How long does it take for Mounjaro to start working?
- Do Ozempic, Wegovy & Mounjaro cause hair loss?
- Does Mounjaro cause fatigue?
- Does Mounjaro have a $25 coupon available?
- Does Mounjaro work for weight loss?
- Does the Mounjaro injection hurt?
- Does Mounjaro cause blurry vision?
More about Mounjaro (tirzepatide)
- Check interactions
- Compare alternatives
- Pricing & coupons
- Reviews (536)
- Drug images
- Side effects
- During pregnancy
- Support group
- FDA approval history
- Drug class: incretin mimetics
- En español
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.