Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Dec 31, 2020.
Generic name: SODIUM SULFATE 17.5g in 22.7g, POTASSIUM SULFATE 3.13g in 22.7g, MAGNESIUM SULFATE 1.6g in 22.7g
Dosage form: powder, for oral solution
The recommended dosage of ColPrep Kit is one bottle administered in the evening before colonoscopy and the second bottle administered the morning of colonoscopy as follows:
Dose 1: Early in the evening prior to colonoscopy, 10 to 12 hours before the second dose.
Dose 2: The morning of colonoscopy, at least 3 ½ hours before colonoscopy.
Important Dosing Instructions
- ColPrep Kit must be reconstituted and diluted in water prior to ingestion. Direct ingestion of the undiluted reconstituted solution may increase the risk of nausea, vomiting, and dehydration [See Warnings and Precautions (5.8)].
- The ColPrep Kit is comprised of two bottles of ColPrep administered as a two-day regimen. Both doses of ColPrep Kit are required for a complete preparation for colonoscopy.
- Additional fluids must be consumed after each dose of ColPrep [See Dosage and Administration (2.4)].
- Do not take other laxatives while taking ColPrep Kit.
Instructions for Use
Dose 1 - On the day before colonoscopy (start 10 to 12 hours prior to Dose 2):
- A light breakfast may be consumed in the morning.
- Only clear liquids may be consumed for the rest of the day after a light breakfast. Do not drink milk.
- Do not eat solid foods for the rest of the day after breakfast until the next day after colonoscopy.
- Do not eat or drink anything colored red or purple.
- Do not drink alcohol.
- Do not take oral medications within one hour of starting the first dose of ColPrep Kit.
Dose 2 - Next morning on the day of colonoscopy (start at least 3 ½ hours prior to colonoscopy):
- Continue to abstain from all solid food and anything to drink other than clear liquids.
- Do not take oral medications within one hour of starting the second dose of ColPrep Kit.
- Complete all ColPrep Kit and required water at least 2 hours prior to colonoscopy or as directed by physician.
- Stop drinking clear liquids at least 2 hours before colonoscopy.
Preparation and Administration
Two doses of ColPrep Kit are required for a complete preparation for colonoscopy as a split-dose (two-day regimen). The total volume of liquid required is approximately 2.8 L taken orally prior to the colonoscopy, as described below.
Dose 1: Early in the evening prior to colonoscopy, 10 to 12 hours before Dose 2:
- Open ONE (1) bottle from the ColPrep Kit.
- Fill the bottle with water up to the neck of the bottle. Shake well and mix thoroughly.
- Pour the reconstituted solution from the bottle into the mixing container provided.
- Fill the mixing container with water to the 16 ounce fill line.
- Drink the entire amount.
- Important: Drink two additional mixing containers filled to the 16 ounce fill line with water over the next hour (32 ounces of additional water).
Dose 2: The morning of colonoscopy, at least 3 ½ hours before colonoscopy:
- Repeat Steps 1 through 6 from Dose 1 of the Split-Dose (2-Day Regimen).
- Complete all ColPrep Kit solution and required water at least two hours prior to colonoscopy.
More about ColPrep Kit (magnesium sulfate / potassium sulfate / sodium sulfate)
- Other brands
- Suprep Bowel Prep Kit
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.