Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Nov 18, 2021.
Generic name: DOXYCYCLINE HYCLATE 75mg
Dosage form: tablet, capsule
Important Administration Instructions
- The usual dosage and frequency of administration of ACTICLATE and ACTICLATE CAP differs from that of the other tetracyclines. Exceeding the recommended dosage may result in an increased incidence of adverse reactions.
- Administer ACTICLATE and ACTICLATE CAP with adequate amounts of fluid to wash down the drugs and reduce the risk of esophageal irritation and ulceration [see Adverse Reactions (6)].
- If gastric irritation occurs, ACTICLATE and ACTICLATE CAP may be given with food or milk [see Clinical Pharmacology (12.3)]
- Swallow ACTICLATE CAP whole. Do not break, open, crush, dissolve or chew the capsule.
- ACTICLATE tablets (150 mg) can be broken into two-thirds or one-third to provide a 100 mg and 50 mg strength, respectively [see FDA-approved patient labeling].
Dosage in Adult Patients
- The usual dosage of ACTICLATE is 200 mg on the first day of treatment (administered 100 mg every 12 hours) followed by a maintenance dose of 100 mg daily. The maintenance dose may be administered as a single dose or as 50 mg every 12 hours.
- In the management of more severe infections (particularly chronic infections of the urinary tract), 100 mg every 12 hours is recommended.
- For certain selected specific indications, the recommended duration or dosage and duration of ACTICLATE or ACTICLATE CAP in adult patients are as follows:
- Streptococcal infections, therapy should be continued for 10 days.
- Uncomplicated urethral, endocervical, or rectal infection caused by Chlamydia trachomatis: 100 mg by mouth twice-a-day for 7 days.
- Uncomplicated gonococcal infections in adults (except anorectal infections in men): 100 mg, by mouth, twice-a-day for 7 days. As an alternate single visit dose, administer 300 mg stat followed in one hour by a second 300 mg dose.
- Nongonococcal urethritis (NGU) caused by C. trachomatis and U. urealyticum: 100 mg by mouth twice-a-day for 7 days.
- Syphilis – early: Patients who are allergic to penicillin should be treated with doxycycline 100 mg by mouth twice-a-day for 2 weeks.
- Syphilis of more than one year’s duration: Patients who are allergic to penicillin should be treated with doxycycline 100 mg by mouth twice-a-day for 4 weeks.
- Acute epididymo-orchitis caused by N. gonorrhoeae: 100 mg by mouth, twice-a-day for at least 10 days.
- Acute epididymo-orchitis caused by C. trachomatis: 100 mg, by mouth, twice-a-day for at least 10 days.
Dosage in Pediatric Patients
- For all pediatric patients weighing less than 45 kg with severe or life threatening infections (e.g., anthrax, Rocky Mountain spotted fever), the recommended dosage of ACTICLATE and ACTICLATE CAP is 2.2 mg per kg of body weight administered every 12 hours. Pediatric patients weighing 45 kg or more should receive the adult dose [see Warnings and Precautions (5.1)].
- For pediatric patients with less severe disease (greater than 8 years of age and weighing less than 45 kg), the recommended dosage schedule of ACTICLATE and ACTICLATE CAP is 4.4 mg per kg of body weight divided into two doses on the first day of treatment, followed by a maintenance dose of 2.2 mg per kg of body weight (given as a single daily dose or divided into twice daily doses). For pediatric patients weighing over 45 kg, the usual adult dose should be used.
Dosage for Prophylaxis of Malaria
For adults, the recommended dose of ACTICLATE is 100 mg daily.
For pediatric patients 8 years of age and older, the recommended dosage of ACTICLATE and ACTICLATE CAP is 2 mg per kg of body weight administered once daily. Pediatric patients weighing 45 kg or more should receive the adult dose.
Prophylaxis should begin 1 or 2 days before travel to the malarious area. Prophylaxis should be continued daily during travel in the malarious area and for 4 weeks after the traveler leaves the malarious area.
Dosage for Inhalational Anthrax (Post-Exposure)
For adults, the recommended dosage is 100 mg, of ACTICLATE, by mouth, twice-a-day for 60 days.
For pediatric patients weighing less than 45 kg, the recommended dosage of ACTICLATE and ACTICLATE CAP is 2.2 mg per kg of body weight, by mouth, twice-a-day for 60 days. Pediatric patients weighing 45 kg or more should receive the adult dose.
Frequently asked questions
- How long after stopping doxycycline can I drink alcohol?
- What is the best antibiotic to treat a sinus infection?
- What are the best antibiotics for pneumonia?
- What is doxycycline hyclate used for?
- How long does doxycycline stay in your body after you finish your prescribed amount?
- Can I take doxycycline hyclate for strep throat?
- Can I take doxycycline if I am allergic to penicillin?
- Can taking doxycycline for acne worsen my skin?
- Can you smoke cigarettes or marijuana while on doxycycline hyclate 100mg?
- Is doxycycline hydrochloride 100mg a sulfa based drug?
- Will it be harmful to take doxycycline with iron supplements?
- Does doxycycline cause kidney pain?
More about Acticlate (doxycycline)
- Side effects
- Drug interactions
- During pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Reviews (8)
- Drug images
- Pricing & coupons
- Generic availability
- En español
- Drug class: tetracyclines
- FDA approval history
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.