User Reviews for Retin-A

Acne
7.8

Summary of Retin-A reviews 7.9 68 reviews

Reviews for Retin-A

For Acne "I'm in my early 20s and have been applying Retin-A gel once a night for over a year now. Before starting the gel I had what I would describe as moderate acne. During the first 6-8 months of Retin-A use I had the most severe acne of my life, all over my face. It was painful and so embarrassing to leave the house. Not to mention the horrific dry skin that would just flake off my face, no matter how much I moisturize. But I stuck with it as the dermatologist suggested, and now my acne is mostly under control. However, I would not say my acne now is any better than before I started Retin-A, and on top of that I now have deep, ugly scars on both sides of my face (not just a few... a LOT) from the severe acne. I have not had any acne scars in my life until now, and I have had moderate to heavy acne since I was 12. Now there a pit scars all across my cheeks. I have ruined my face by using Retin-A, and would have been exponentially better off if I had never used it in the first place."

N/A March 8, 2019

For Acne "I started using Retin-A after switching my birth control pills to progesterone only due to severe migraines thought to be caused by estrogen. I am now 23 and never struggled this bad with acne. Before Retin-A I had a few cystic acne spots on my chin and jawline and small blemishes on my forehead, occasionally. After using Retin-A my face got way worse. The first week it caused my face to be red, flaky and BURN. This wasn't the typical burning feeling I would get from a topical acne cream. This was a burn that would hurt when I would step outside. It made the cystic acne spots really dry, red and very sore. I called my dermatologist and they said those are typical side effects and to mix my moisturizer with the Retin-A. This helped but didn't help enough. I went another 5+ weeks dealing with peeling, flaking, red, irritated, dry, sore skin. I finally decided to stop using it. The next day my skin was feeling a lot less sore and irritated. This was not the medication for me."

JenniferM (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 5, 2019

For Acne "I started using Retin-A .0025% about a two-three months ago. I’m 26 years old and have had terrible acne ever since I was a preteen. I was able to get the acne under control by drinking 72+ oz of water a day and switching to a plant based diet. However, this has left me with noticable scarring. Retin-A has helped so much with this. I read the reviews of everyone saying it dries out your skin. This is true. USE A MOISTURIZER! Moisturize day and night. This has helped me so much. I don’t even notice dry skin anymore. Also, stay hydrated. Drink lots of water."

Alexandra (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 17, 2018

For Photoaging of the Skin "I'm Asian and I stay in a tropical country. This product was widely introduced here when I was in my teens and I was quick to use it since it was highly recommended by the big name dermatologists of that time. I had problematic skin back then and it was recommended by my own dermatologist. I was fourteen then. Now, I'm 41 and I'm often told I look younger. Even if I'm a male professional, that still matters a lot! I could still remember temporarily stopping for less than a year cause I'd have spells of temporary severe dry skin and, once, eczema, but I jump on to it once my skin has stabilized. Of course, good skin maintenance does help and seeking professional help if something does not seem ok is best, but I would say this product works. Start while you're young (best if you can start with some professional help!)."

Male Vanity (taken for 10 years or more) December 9, 2018

For Acne "I am in awe of how well this product works! I’ve been on it for 1 week and my skin is so clear I don’t believe it’s possible! I’ve struggled with acne since I was 12 (I am now a 21 year old female) and I’ve tried just about everything including accutane but nothing made a big difference. My acne has ranged from moderate to severe. My biggest struggle was the texture- my face was covered in tiny bumps and clogged pores. My derm now put me on .08% Not only are the pimples gone after a week, but my whiteheads & blackheads have disappeared almost like magic. There is dryness and peeling which I’m hoping will go away over time, but I’m fine with it because it’s left me with fresh, new skin. I highly highly recommend this product!"

Csc (taken for less than 1 month) December 2, 2018

For Acne "I used to be prescribed epiduo, but my insurance stopped covering it and it became too expensive so they put me on retin-a. All this medication does is dry out my skin, it doesn't even reduce redness or irritation from the acne. I personally have found that witch hazel and basic night serums do more than what I'm prescribed is supposed to do. 0/10 "

J (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 10, 2018

For Acne "I personally recommend you guys not to use this Retin A gel for Acne. It makes ur skin worser and worser with big red boils. I was expecting a change in the initial months but when I came to a situation were I was not able to leave out of my house due to the peeling and scars. I was forced to change the doctor. Now I'm not using Retin A gel for past one month and things came to normal."

Aan (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 9, 2018

For Photoaging of the Skin "I began using Retin A 0.01% approximately 2 months ago. I have dark spots left from what doctors claim is atopic dermatitis coupled with hyper eczemas when I was younger. I have had these marks for over 20 years. I no longer suffer from breakouts however I do have the marks (front and back thighs). I started by specifically treating them spot by spot, rather applying to the entire area. Recently my husband disclosed that he is having a "hard time" actually seeing the marks to apply the cream, they have lightened up but I am not totally clear yet... I am on my second tube. When I complete this one, my intention is to increase to the .5 strength and observe those results. Will advise probably in another 2 months time. What I can say with certainty is that is works, faster for some than others... but it works, consistency is key."

Trinigirl868 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 29, 2018

For Acne "I am 23 years old and I suffer from severe acne. I started using retin-a 0.05 a week ago. At first my face felt moisturized, the pimples become easier to extracted. After about 2-3 days my face started burning and then peeling. I wanted to use a moisturizer along with it but anything that touched my face made it ache or burn and when I say anything, I do mean anything...water, fabric etc. I used it twice a day as advised by my derm. He told me it would get worse before it got better so I continued applying small amounts on the bigger bumps but my face hasn't healed so I have completely stopped using it."

T-Rex September 15, 2018

For Acne "Retin A honestly changed my life! The first 6 months were awful. Hated my skin more by the day. But there is a huge silver light! Fast forward a few months and my skin is glowing, smooth, and hardly a single breakout. I'm 23 and have battled all sorts of acne through my life. That came along with some serious scarring. While there is definitely a ways to go for the scarring, its helped tremendously."

Lauren (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 10, 2018

For Photoaging of the Skin "37/f here...I have used retinol on and off since I was a teenager and got into my mom's supply. I looked like I got a terrible sunburn the first time I used it on my teenage face. The first few weeks/months are hard but it helps if you ease into it and only use it every other night or every two nights, or even once a week, then increase the frequency as your skin gets acclimated to it. I am often complemented on my skin and am mistaken as being at least ten years younger than I am. I recently had a baby and used some on my stretch marks and c section scar and the stretch marks are practically gone five months later with use only once a week. Retinol has been a godsend for me."

LA June 24, 2018

For Acne "I have used Retin-A .01% Cream for acne for the past 20 years. I find it to be very therapeutic to my skin. Recently my doctor switched me to the gel and its incredible the way it feels. It is not tacky or greasy. Its a very greaseless lightweight gel. There is a little bit more alcohol in the gels than cream but overall it feels great on my skin and is keeping the Acne at bay. I highly recommend this gel, or even the creams for acne but you have to know how to use it. Speak to your doctor if you have any questions and do exactly what he says. Your skin needs to get used to the strongest strength of them all to treat the acne. Its a wonderful, wonderful product."

GV June 6, 2018

For Acne "32-year old female. I'd been on Acanya (benzoyl peroxide and clindamycin) for about 3 years before it stopped working very suddenly. Like, one day my skin was clear, and the next, I had breakouts on my chin and cheeks again. Anyway, I'd ordered a tube of 0.05% Retin-A online a while ago and used to use it as a spot treatment, which worked , for a bit. I think that was too strong for me. Just starting PRESCRIBED 0.025% Retin-A and, the morning after use on my entire face, my skin was less inflamed. I noticed 2 new pimples surfaced, but they were easily extracted. I use cetaphil gentle skin cleanser and then a toner + moisturizer in the mornings. Cetaphil cleanser - wait 20 mins - Retin-A - wait 20 mins - and neutrogena hydro boost moisturizer at night. I have noticed some blemishes come to the surface and minor peeling. But, my general skin tone looks so much better than when I was using the Acanya, despite those two drawbacks. Will keep using and see what the long-term results looks like!"

JustMyStory May 25, 2018

For Acne "I am a 72 year old woman who has been using Retin-A for thirty-four years. I started using it because I had adult acne at the same time my teenage son had acne. I routinely am mistaken for being twenty years younger than I am. I have very few wrinkles. My skin still has dry patches occasionally but they are short lived. I have tried to get several people to use it but they always get discouraged with the redness and peeling in the beginning. This phase does not last forever. Please continue to use it, you will never be sorry."

DDF (taken for 10 years or more) April 30, 2018

For Acne "Hey guys!! I started using retin-a 0.1% two years back but within a month my skin became very dry i stopped using it though there was no other side effects. But after reading comments here I got inspired and got courage to use it again. So I have started to use it again and hoping that it will work for me as well. I'll leave an update my experience soon.."

Tirti January 25, 2018

For Acne "I have been using Retin-A along with the oral antibiotic Clindamycin for 4 months now. I am 20 and have had severe cystic acne since I was 11. I also had a lot of hyper-pigmentation and scarring, to the point where my face was always bright red and bumpy. In just 4 months my face has completely cleared up and smoothed out, it is visibly brighter. The hyperpigmentation is lightening significantly at this point, a few small pimples or blackheads occasionally but mostly clear! The only other product I use is witch hazel as a toner and an oil free moisturizer."

Cheyenne Noel January 21, 2018

For Acne "I was on accutane (isotretinoin) from December 2015 to July 2016. I had severe acne all over my face, chest, back, and shoulders. Post-accutane my skin was clear as water and I got so many compliments on my skin. My skin was clear and I never got one pimple until mid April 2017 I noticed pimples reappearing on my skin. I got in touch with my derm and she prescribed me tretinoin 0.025% and a face wash- sodium sulfacetamide with salycic acid. I am now on 0.05% and I have been on the gel for a little over 8 weeks. I have seen significant improvement since I started and I did experience about a month and a half of initial breakout. I highly recommend this gel and don't give up! It takes time and my skin is still clearing up. Patience!!!!!"

Alexandra mae (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 15, 2017

For Acne "I have always had acne from in my early teens but just a few pimples now an again. I am now 23, I have relocated to the north coast where I started experiencing terrible breakout it started with rash then small pimples then a disaster. In 2016 I went to my dermatologist who prescribed retin A 0.05% 2 days after using the product I started having unbearable burning when using anything on my face be it water, cleanser or moisturize it just burned like crazy and my acne got worst to the point where people asking me what was wrong with my face, so about two weeks in I stopped using the product. Five days ago which is almost one year after I decided to give it another try and so far there is no burning and no new breakouts"

Jamaican girl (taken for less than 1 month) July 1, 2017

For Acne "I've read so many reviews about retin-a being amazing and working almost immediately, but I have been using this gel for about 7 weeks and my skin is still so much worse than before I started using it! I broke out in deep, painful acne almost immediately and it still hasn't gone away. Breakouts all over my face and my skin is red and very very noticeably dry and peeling. Hoping it will start to work soon, I'm getting pretty discouraged that it's taking so long! :("

dancer-123 February 10, 2017

For Acne "Well, it's all hasn't been fun and games when it comes to my acne. I'm a light skinned African dude of 25 and I have had acne since I was 17. Pretty long time huh? I know. It all started as some pretty rash that got me obsessed. I've used pretty much everything except surgery; and I never went to a physician for it. All over-the-counter topical application and I touch my face pretty much all the time. It's not easy when a handsome guy gets his confidence slowly stripped everyday for almost a decade. Lol It got worse this past month (like my pimples joined up x-men and became mutants!) and I was forced to see a physician. Retin-A to the rescue. Retin-A and Doxycycline capsules. Just 2 weeks in and I can tell I've found the cure for acne!"

Nikolai (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 5, 2016

For Photoaging of the Skin "Definitely recommend Retin-A Tretinoin cream for aging skin, firstly recommend to use low-tretinoin consistency 0.025% and after go deeper with 0.05% and 0.1% creams and gels. My skin became more youthful, without pigmentation, brighter, wrinkles and fine lines became less visible and its only within first 2 months of usage, i'm pretty impressed! Thanks okdermo.com! Will use it all my life, would recommend it to everyone who have signs of aging, wrinkles, color fading, discoloration etc problems. Angela"

AngelaSymon (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 5, 2016

For Acne "I've been using Retin-A for about a week now. If you have oily skin or experience breakouts every morning like me, I would definitely recommend this. I use the .01% dosage recommended by my doctor. They told me I may experience peeling of the skin. My skin has peeled in some spots, but it's not very noticeable. I removed the peeled skin by using baking soda and water(great exfoliant!) Skin varies by person. I've given up on every acne regimen and decided to see my doctor. I swear by this stuff. All my acne scars are fading and my skin has become significantly smoother."

CarlyP August 9, 2016

For Acne "I have posted early before about my 1st & 2nd week using Retin A 0.025 cream. My 3rd week was much better than my second week, some of my acne stared to calm down and my face felt less bumpy. During this week I started to use the cream 4 times a week because my cheeks were hurting. My 4th week was the most improvement. I started to use the cream every night again since my face had stop hurting. During the 4th week most of my pimples disappeared and my skin felt smoother, I still had some pimples popping up but not as much. Now my cheeks are pretty smooth with a couple pimples but my cheeks are really red from the scars that were left behind from the pimples. I'm hoping they will slowly fade later. Will keep updating!"

An.nym.us (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 6, 2016