User Reviews for Tavaborole topical to treat Onychomycosis, Toenail

Also known as: Kerydin

Tavaborole Rating Summary

4.7/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 20 medications used in the treatment of Onychomycosis, Toenail.

Reviews for Tavaborole

Retiredman · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 26, 2018

Kerydin (tavaborole): "I've been using Kerydin for five years. While I don't mind the small side effects, I have only seen minor improvement in my toe nails. As a type 2 diabetic, I have used a variety of antifungal products, all with NO clearing of the fungus. Is there anything out there to totally clear up this fungus?"

Grateful · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 24, 2018

Kerydin (tavaborole): "I have had a nail fungus on my big left toe for almost 4 years now been to several doctors and tried lots of medication plus oral medication, two different types of lasers that did not work. I tried to Jublia and that was a big mistake had an allergic reaction it made it worse than what it was got blisters all over my toe an the 2nd toe lots of redness painful itching could not even wear shoes. I even did the Keryflex application for almost 2 years at about $80 every other month. My doctor switched me to Kerydin, was on that for 10 months. Seen dramatic improvements after the first five months my nail started growing back! I am so happy to say after 10 months my nail has grown out it now looks normal and I cannot believe this medication actually worked for me I’m so thankful and grateful!"

AM · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 26, 2018

Kerydin (tavaborole): "I have had toenail fungus on 4 toes on one foot for almost 20 years that I got from a nail salon and have tried every single product on the market over the years including Lazer, twice, at $1,000 each time. That was a total failure and it almost cost me my big toenail which turned black. A dermatologist prescribed Kerydin. After 5 months, I did see a little improvement. Then I went to my podiatrist and she prescribed an oral medication called Terbinafine, 250 mg that you take for 3 months. I continued to use Kerydin, now it’s 13 months out and for the the first time in 20 years, my toenails are completely new and clear. I can’t say that would be the case if I didn’t introduce the 3 month oral medication. But, again, I did see improvement after that initial 5 months on Kerydin. I do my my own pedicures. I have not gotten a professional pedicure in 20 years. I’m sure there are safe ones out there, but I never want to go through this again. Good luck."

Hane915 · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 18, 2017

Kerydin (tavaborole): "I started taking Kerydin one month ago for a toenail fungus that was diagnosed in June by my foot dr. I was not convinced that it was/is a fungus, but she is the dr. I started taking the oral medication but did not like the list of possible side effects, so I stopped it after 2 weeks. My medical Dr told me about Kerydin. So I thought I would give it a try. I took it for one month. During that time I began to have problems with my eyes: redness, itchiness, excessive tearing, blurriness. I could barely wear my contact lenses. None of these symptoms went away after wearing my glasses only for 2 weeks. 3 days ago I stopped using the Kerydin. My eyes are almost perfect again. I am able to wear my contacts again."

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 13, 2017

Kerydin (tavaborole): "I have been on this medication since Dec, 2016. I used it for at least 6 months straight, twice a day. It seemed to have minimal improvement. I took a break during the summer months so I can start re-wearing nailpolish. I went back to the podiatrist yesterday and they said it has improved. Funny thing is, I have not been using the Keridyn for at least 3-4 months so it improved by not using it... I have tried numerous home remedies as well as drug store over the counter products. Kerydin has given me the same results.. In fact I now have a fungus on my other foot since the last time I went in.. I am on a fifty dollar monthly that insurance does not cover."

Ron123newjersey · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 21, 2017

Kerydin (tavaborole): "I took this medication for an entire year and I noticed NO change whatsoever. I had given up then one year later I noticed 2 of the 4 nails that were infected had grown into healthy nails. Hopefully the other two get the hint."

Brendee · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 30, 2017

Kerydin (tavaborole): "I have been using this for about 6 mths or so and have found significant improvement. I also have been lucky because my insurance covers all but a $6.00 co pay. My right big toe had been thick, discolored and painful. My left big toe was on its way... At one point my right big toe had turned completely white and lifting up like you could just pull it off. It was dead! I went to a foot Dr. who presrcibed Kerydin...told me to keep my nails short and use daily. I also DO NOT polish my toe nails any longer!! I know it will take awhile but so far...I am impressed! Both bid toes have lost their thickness, no pain...still a little discolored, but I plan to continue on this plan as I definitely have seen great results! Update to come ..."

Mom2AMG January 31, 2017

Kerydin (tavaborole): "My 5 year old was put on Kerydin due to 2 toenails having fungus. The fungus had been growing for the past year so it had gotten bad. After 6 months of zero improvement I asked her dermatologist for a different medication and he put her on Fluconazole for 30 days. Within 2 weeks we started seeing new toenail growth that was fungus free and her old toenail fell off. Within 30 days both toenails were finally fungus free! I would not recommend Kerydin."

63 and active · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 5, 2017

Kerydin (tavaborole): "Very expensive, smells, used this for over a year, no improvement. Previously, I was told by a VA nurse, my "thick nails are a common problem in older people." B.S.! I'm sure the nurse didn't have toenail fungus, she's not living with someone who has toenail fungus, and I noticed she made sure she had on gloves when examining my toenails. Then I went to a Dermatologist, who loaded me up with all kinds of expensive medicine, none of which worked. So I am now trying home remedies, open toed shoes and moisture absorbing socks,"

Snowanonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 26, 2016

Kerydin (tavaborole): "I have been using Kerydin for over a year every day on my toenails. I have seen NO improvement. Very disappointed and would not recommend using thus medication."

On the Way! October 24, 2016

Kerydin (tavaborole): "I have been using for 8 months. All 10 nails were affected; one of 10 nails is now fungus free. It is obvious that the amount of fungus beneath each nail varies. I was told it can take up to 48 months (4 years) this is encouraging. The curled great toenails no longer give me pain, as they are not as thick and color returning to normal about 1/2 on one and 1/3 on another. Still thinkness in the nails, but it is lessening. I am glad to have found this product. Of course, I hope it won't take the four years, but if it is a success, it won't matter. NOTE: any of your shoes would have the fungus in them. If you continue to wear the same shoes, you are reinfecting yourself. I discarded mine, with the exception of the open toe sandals."

SadNick August 26, 2016

Kerydin (tavaborole): "Kerydin worked REALLY well. It actually did manage to finally clear up a persistent toenail fungal infection that nothing else had worked on. It was unbelievably expensive (better than $500/bottle). The manufacturer provided a coupon card for a year's worth of medication, but by all reports it requires the patient to use this topical medication for up to 48 months to finally clear up an infection for good. So, after the first year, the price jumped back up to unaffordable, and the infection came returned because the treatment wasn't finished. The medication was working, but $6,000/year for the medication after the coupon expires is so much more than I can afford, so I can't complete the treatment."

indyb · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 8, 2016

Kerydin (tavaborole): "My toenail fungus started in 2001. But I ignored it for years, mostly because I wear polish on my toenails and never thought about it. About 18 months ago, one toenail started to curl and they were both getting very thick and icky. I tried Lamasil (oral) and within days had a major allergic reaction, with hives everywhere and red welts on my face and neck. My podiatrist wasn't hopeful about this being a cure. But I had to try. I apply it every single morning. I don't think I've missed a single day. My toenails are about 2/3 grown out, the curl in the left toenail has flattened out and the nail has grown out enough so that the thickness is almost gone. I'm very hopeful that by December 2016 it'll be all gone."

realdrmom June 3, 2016

Kerydin (tavaborole): "My nails were infected 15 mo ago after a pedicure in a fancy expensive spa. Nothing had worked - orals, topicals; prescription, "natural". Podiatrist told me that the only option was laser treatment. Eventually one of my finger nails got infected and I did ask a dermatologist for help. He told me that my problem is not the fungus, but yeast and did recommend Kerydin. Yes, it is expensive and many insurances do not cover it, but it DID WORK! The trick to ask for a 10 ml bottle from the very beginning (starting with your free first dose), that even with me needing to treat my 11 nails lasts for over 2 months. Now, 5 months later, my finger nail and all but the great toe nails (that still have a 1/8 in line on the tips) are all clear."

woodie2 May 30, 2016

Kerydin (tavaborole): "I have been using this medicine for about 6 months. I had 1 toenail on each foot affected. It causes swelling in my ankles and knee. I have seen an improvement on my left foot but not that much on my right, but I used it for the same amount of time. It is swelling my feet too much. I will be stopping the use of it today. My doctor wanted me to hang in there with it. But I can not walk with this product. I switched to putting it on at night, I thought that would help the swelling but it has not. Too difficult to walk with the swelling."

Margarita33 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 23, 2016

Kerydin (tavaborole): "Been using for 10 months and no improvement whatsoever. Very frustrating. Terrible packaging. I accidentally knocked over bottle and lost half of it on my sofa. Waste of time and money."

GinaMcJ March 17, 2016

Kerydin (tavaborole): "Used for 4 months .. no improvement. My insurance covered the first prescription. Requested a refill and my insurance covered $290. The remaining balance was my responsibility .... $1,000K. No joke. Is this pharmaceutical company smoking something? LOL. I promptly refused the refill and will find another alternative."

Alfred2 March 7, 2016

Kerydin (tavaborole): "Don't believe the positive comments. I have seen zero improvement in 5 months. How the company can justify their retail price is beyond me."

Natalie P February 19, 2016

Kerydin (tavaborole): "I've had infected nails since I was a child (20 years). After multiple courses of Lamisil and multiple other "natural" remedies, I never saw results. I've been using Kerydin for 6 months now and it has been a miracle product for me. ALL on my nails except for one big toe are clear and have grown out. The big toe was by far the worst (very thick, ingrown and sensitive to any pressure) and it is almost completely clear. The drops do dry out the skin around my toes and I've had some peeling but it's SO worth it!! With a promotion, I paid no co-pay for 5 moths and am now paying $75 monthly. This product has been a miracle drug for me and I'd happily pay more,"

tkreith · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 17, 2015

Kerydin (tavaborole): "It is super expensive. I've used it one year now for four toenails. I helped one nail somewhat. Three toenails are still having the problem. NOT a success. Pure rip off to make money"

Selleg1 · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 15, 2015

Kerydin (tavaborole): "I've been using every day for five months and do not see any improvement. I might as well be putting water on them."

tkreith · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 10, 2015

Kerydin (tavaborole): "I am using Kerydin for a year now. It has somewhat improved. For the cost of Kerydin, this medication is not satisfactory but rather an absolute rip off"

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 21, 2015

Kerydin (tavaborole): "My nails are clearing up and looking better after several years of hiding them. I use kerydim twice a day and keep my nails cut short."

mythreechildren2001 October 11, 2015

Kerydin (tavaborole): "I've been battling toenail fungus for just over two years on each of my big toes. They are thicker but that is not noticeable to anyone but me. What bothers me most and what others see is the black, disgusting appearance on the outside of both nails. All summer was spent hiding my feet from others when wearing flip slips and sandals. For over a year I brushed on a topical solution that I bought directly from my podiatrist. The black sides became nastier and more visible than ever. Three weeks ago, he gave me a sample of kerydin and ordered a prescription for me. I have been using this for only three weeks and, although still black, the improvement is amazing. I wish I had taken a before picture. Still black but SO much better."

reacton May 13, 2015

Kerydin (tavaborole): "Not seeing any improvement with this medication. Was using another medication prior to this and it's a cheaper, over the counter product, and it at least seemed to stun the fungus and stop it's production into the nail beds."