User Reviews for Protopic

Perioral Dermatitis
6.2

Summary of Protopic reviews 7.4 33 reviews

Reviews for Protopic

For Perioral Dermatitis "I have used protopic for my lupus rash and it has help me with the itching and help me I am very happy with ointment"

rose davis (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 9, 2018

For Atopic Dermatitis "This product. -_- I've had eczema for as long as I can remember and now it's started to spread to new areas. Dermatologist prescribed this to use around face and neck as it's not a steroid. I was aware that it initially burns the first few times...almost to the point of rather dealing with eczema over the burning. (I've used it a handful of times now, as and when. It does soften the thick build up. However after applying the skin very sensitive to itching. Well...last night I itched my neck 2 hours after applying this...DO NOT DO THIS. I never knew "burning" had levels 10 times worse than experienced. Had to scrub the area and apply wet fannel for a good hour to calm it down. It may work, just not for the faint hearted."

Miss Doubtfire (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 19, 2018

For Atopic Dermatitis "My experience was similar to those described on this blog: I had a severe patch of AD on my elbow and behind my knee. Day 1 initial application did result in a burning sensation and intense itchiness at times which in my case lasted 24 hours or so. I strongly recommend persisting with the product past this difficult first phase because these irritating side effects subside soon after. Cold compresses btw definitely help with the itch. By the end of Day 2, I started to see a significant difference/clearing in the affected areas and by the end of Day 4, my AD was almost completely healed. This drug is an absolute godsend and an amazing medical innovation. The only con is the greasiness of the ointment but it is a small price to pay for relief from this chronic and often debilitating skin condition."

Relieved (taken for less than 1 month) June 18, 2018

For Perioral Dermatitis "I'm using this to prevent pitiriasis alba as a result of ezcema. Protopic is very greasy, so I use it at night only, and only on affected spots every few days (when needed). It takes away all signs of my eczema within a few days, and I haven't had a single spot of pitiriasis alba since using it. I haven't noticed any side effects or burning. Corticosteroids had no impact on my eczema whatsoever. Love this product."

Kone (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 20, 2018

For Atopic Dermatitis "Miracle! Struggled with swollen itchy eyes over a month. Miserable! I would come home and use cold clothes on my eyes most nights. One application. I could feel a difference and the next day I felt human and it was so much better. Yes, it burned at the start which lasted about 1/2 hour, but considering what I had been dealing with, no big deal. The next day you do get a warm sensation, but it was odd, not uncomfortable. Truly a godsend!"

Juke (taken for less than 1 month) May 12, 2018

For Perioral Dermatitis "I had a very bad experience after applying the Protopic ointment on my cheeks and chin two times only. I paid $92.00 for a tube of 30g and can't use it because I got a huge burning sensation all over my face for 3 days and 3 nights. I had to sleep with an ice on my face and holding ice during a day. It looks like I was allergic to it and the horrible Pharmacy in Vancouver, BC would not give me my money back. I would never recommend this medication to anybody!!! I went to see my other clinic doctor, who said that Protopic tacrolimus 0.1% ointment is very strong. He gave me a mild compounded cream instead. I lost the money on Protopic 0.1% ointment and had to pay for my new cream again. Unbelievable...."

Stenia March 28, 2018

For Atopic Dermatitis "Using this cream makes my skin as smooth as a baby’s bum. It honestly does work on my eczema however I only use it on my face as I cannot stand the burning sensation It’s greasy and so I only use it at night but the burning hot sensation is not pleasant on the first application This is why I won’t use it on my arms and legs as I cannot stand feeling this way. It robs me of my sleep on the first night of application however second and third day the burning sensation seems to subside I tend to spend most the night sticking my head out of the window to try and catch some cold air. It’s just awful but it actually works which is why I persevere"

Tas93 January 23, 2018

For Perioral Dermatitis "Works great on some areas. Inverse area where there is sensitive skin like armpits, groin maybe it might work if it didn’t cause an unbearable itch and burning causing more damage."

Corey7172 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 3, 2018

For Atopic Dermatitis "I tried everything for my eczema, it started around my eyes then spread to my face and neck. I really didn’t want to use medications so I tried various diets, cleanses, acupuncture, vitamins. I suffered for a whole year and spent thousands of dollars on other treatments. Finally I gave in and went to the derm. He gave me protopic. The first time I used it- it burned like hell but I kept it on anyhow. After two applications my eczema has cleared! It’s been two months and I’ve only had to use it 2 or 3 times as maintenance and I have clear skin. It works!"

Ao1234 December 5, 2017

For Atopic Dermatitis "Applied this to treat what looked like a mix of folliculitis and atopic dermatitis flares (but which turned out to be just atopic dermatitis) on both lower legs, especially the shins. Itchiness, redness and dryness abated about 80% after one week without any initial irritations or burning sensation. There is no feeling of soreness or increased sensibility whatsoever, I've basically just stopped thinking about those problematic parts of my skin, so there's that passive psychological boost, too. Only 9/10 because long term results are still unknown and because it's pretty greasy."

qrk (taken for less than 1 month) October 21, 2017

For Atopic Dermatitis "I have AD on my eyelids and under the eyes and around my mouth. My dermatologist prescribed me this medication today and I put it on 2 hours ago. After those two hours, the areas where I put on protopic had felt like they were on fire. I hopped into the shower to wash my face, and to my surprise, the burning didn't subside. As I am typing this, I'm sitting in front of my fan and patting my face with a wet washcloth when it feels like its burning. I can't describe the amount of pain I feel at the moment, but I will stick with the cream because it is my only option at the moment. I'll check back if the burning subsides."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 29, 2017

For Atopic Dermatitis "Developed eczema on my eye lids and hair line around my face. Itchy red and burning for a few months flare ups were painful. Dr prescribed cortisone but it was only temporary help. I did not to apply lots. Then dermatologist prescribed protopic. Yes, it burned for the first 72 hrs but it subsided and I was completely healed within a week! Such a relief. I only apply when I feel like a flare up is starting. Great for preventing."

Ang27 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 21, 2017

For Atopic Dermatitis "I had a rash caused by insect bites so Doctor gave me Protopic he said it would get rid of rash. I had tried everything : calamine lotion, baking soda, tea tree gel with vitamin E, lavender rosemary oil & with hazel, well nothing got rid of rash also my skin cannot handle hydrocortisone cream & I cannot take benadryl. So I got the protopic & antibiotics. Yes it cleared it away brilliantly, however Doctor told me to use twice a day incorrect dosage. Did not warn me of evil side effects. My skin became mess soon as I stopped using remembering Doctor saying apply more if you had any problems, it would clear skin then get worse and worse leathery skin painful blisters ozzing nasty redness bumpy skin - Red Skin Syndrome."

Mr Xloco May 18, 2017

For Perioral Dermatitis "I've been using Protopic (0.1% ointment) for about six years to treat facial seborrheic dermatitis. On the plus side, Protopic ended five miserable years of itching, redness and burning that no cream seemed to help, and for that reason I am truly thankful. On the downside, it's very greasy (similar to Vaseline) which means it stays on the skin all day if applied in the morning. Drinking alcohol is a definite no-no too, as a tiny amount causes an awful reaction, making the skin immediately burn bright red. Annoyingly, if I don't use Protopic for about two weeks, when I reapply it the skin burns and itches intensely for a few hours (REALLY uncomfortable). Using it more often, say twice a week, does however resolve this problem."

Jude123 May 12, 2017

For Atopic Dermatitis "I developed eczema on my eyelids and originally treated it with a eucerin cream. While that moisturized the area well, my eyelids were still swollen and constantly itchy. My doctor later prescribed this to treat it and warned me about the burning sensation during the first 24 hours. As many people have mentioned after the first application the skin begins to feel like its burning and mine became very red, it was miserable. However, after the first day that goes away and within a week I had normal eyes again! I am so happy with this ointment, I honestly thought I would never have normal eyes again."

Itch Free Eyes (taken for less than 1 month) January 1, 2017

For Atopic Dermatitis "Used this for my eczema around my mouth, instant regret as soon as I applied it. Washed it off immediately but it continued to burn for 3 days. It was red in that area for a few days too. In the shower, and every time I breathed outta my nose the heat seemed to ignite the burning. It was torture!"

Anonymous November 28, 2016

For Atopic Dermatitis "Protopic has been awesome for my face and hands. My dermatitis started in my teens and left me with weepy/bleeding scales on my knuckles, upper lip, nose, eyebrows and eyelids. Protopic wasn't around and used Westcort cream, along with many stronger topical steroids. Flash forward to today. My skin is extremely thin all over my face, but thankfully no cataracts (applied steroids everywhere). Is Protopic a miracle drug? No, but it's the only thing available to stop my AD on the face. First application causes stinging/burning/HOT sensation. After you get past that first day, my symptoms go away. I continue applying until the skin has healed. Then, I stop it. When the eczema starts coming back, I start applying it again."

GlennK999 July 31, 2016

For Atopic Dermatitis "A drug may work well for some, and not so well for others. I am happy to report that Protopic is pretty much a miracle drug for me. I had developed a severe case of blepharitis, or contact dermatitis, around my eyes. They were red, itching, flaking, burning, and swollen. I looked and felt like hell. Within 24 hours, I was 75% better. And a few days later, symptoms were pretty much gone. I continued to use it for approximately 3 weeks. Now, when a symptom starts to flare up, I apply it for only a day or so to control it."

Happy Eyes May 18, 2016

For Atopic Dermatitis "First time I used it on a single small white spot of my vitiligo. After an hour or two every part of my body started itching, had tingling sensations, skin got super red and hives appeared everywhere. Never again. Can't wait for the side effects to go away."

1234Johnny1234 April 26, 2016

For Atopic Dermatitis "I'm on Protopic 0,1% for only two days, and it has helped a lot, i think, in a week of daily usage two times per day, my AD will be gone. It has made HUGE improvement already. Only First time made my skin abnormaly itchy, as well as burning sensation followed, but in my second day, these bad sensations has decreased a lot, only itches a bit. I really am excited about this medication, very grayeful to doctor who prescribed Protopic. I feel really happy at the moment, after years and years of depressed mood and damaged skin."

Lazarussss December 12, 2015

For Atopic Dermatitis "I have had intermittent eczema all my life. It mostly just occurs on face around my mouth and nose. I remember trying every type of moisturizer and prescription cream there was out there. I finally got prescribed Protopic by a physician and I was amazed! I have been using it the last 10 years and it has always made a big difference."

Dani Binx August 30, 2015

For Atopic Dermatitis "I have severe eczema on my face, which is not only embarrassing but very uncomfortable. I was so desperate I was putting steroid creams around my eyes, which everyone knows is not the best idea. My eyelids were so swollen I didn't have a choice. I saw a dermatologist who prescribed Protopic, but with all the warnings I was afraid to use it at first. I became so desperate I applied only a little bit, and was amazed at the results. After a day or two the inflammation is completely gone. The only major side effect is that it can make your skin feel very HOT, which gets worse with sun exposure or when consuming alcohol. But for me, it's worth it. This drug is a miracle for someone like me, I recommend it highly."

SarahSarahBoBarah July 6, 2015

For Atopic Dermatitis "Protopic does the job. My intermittent atopic dermatitis affects small areas of my face along the nose, eyebrows, some hairline at eyebrow level, forehead, and patches on both sides of the chin. When redness shows up, light application of Protopic clears affected areas within 2 to 3 days without fail."

Camaysar February 11, 2015

For Atopic Dermatitis "I have used Protopic continuously for about 5 years for atopic dermatitis and all I can say is, this medicine does wonders for your inflamed skin - sure it burns a lot if the eczema flares, but the burning will fade away after a couple of hours. Recently I was diagnosed with guttate psoriasis as well (unlucky me, yup!), and since I wasn't so pleased with the topical steroid-creams, I tried Protopic on my psoriasis lesions. And this showed up to be a very good idea, since I have been in control of my psoriasis since I started using it. So all in all, I give this my best recommendations, although it is a bit expensive."

Niels H December 5, 2014

For Atopic Dermatitis "Probably the best Ointment I have ever used. I used to use Hydrocortisone but my Doctor took me off it due to the risk of atrophy. All I can say is my face is remarkably different compared to a year ago thanks to Protopic. It's safe to use too. I'm at the 12 month mark now so will need to see a Dermatologist soon to decide on using it long term but I really hope I never have to stop using it!"

RyanL May 14, 2014