User Reviews for Protopic to treat Perioral Dermatitis

Protopic has an average rating of 7.1 out of 10 from a total of 9 ratings for the treatment of Perioral Dermatitis. 56% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 22% reported a negative effect.

Protopic Rating Summary

7.1/10 average rating

Compare all 63 medications used in the treatment of Perioral Dermatitis.

Reviews for Protopic

sez · Taken for less than 1 month April 25, 2020

“By far the best medication I have used. I started to get very dry, very rough and very red skin on the area around my lips. This progressively got worse and started to spread and no matter what moisturisers I used or what I did nothing helped at all. I was very self conscious of this with it being on my face. The first use of this cream made my skin slightly hot and some slight tingling but nothing bad at all and wow by the morning when I woke the redness was almost gone. On the second application it has all but gone. This cream is absolutely amazing and has given me my confidence back. If your in two minds whether to get this please do it will be the best decision.”

Pana June 28, 2020

“I was prescribed protopic for mild seborrheic dermatitis only on the left side of my face. When I first used it it didn’t bring redness or burning sensation straightaway. The burning started within 24 hours and it was intense. I felt my face burning for a long time but I persisted using it the next days thinking that the side effects would eventually go away. It brought me almost all the side effects: burning eyes, runny nose, headache the first few days. The redness and burning was after every application every single day. I was feeling my skin really sensitive and warm and was flushing bright red every single day even when I didn’t have it on. (I was using it only nights). I used it for 7 days with intense side effects and I decided to stop it. It decreased the peeling of the scales, but rather than that it made my skin fragile on the areas I applied it. I don’t recommend protopic for those with sensitive skin like me and I will definitely not gonna use it again.”

Sooverit · Taken for less than 1 month October 23, 2020

“I've had this dermatitis stuff on my face for 3 months. Scaling , lesions, red scales, and bumpy texture. I exhausted all the zoles and every treatment under the moon! After 1 day major improvement and scales are coming off, red areas are lighter and no longer burning. With Seborrhoeic Dermatitis burning is constant so after reading the reviews I was scared to say the least. However I had no burning, no tears, no jumping up and down in pain! Don't let the negative reviews scare you! Just try it!”

BBaby · Taken for less than 1 month November 4, 2019

“Developed perioral dermatitis because of topical steroid use on my face. I have had 20 years experience with eczema. I only use SLS free facial and body products so I have maintained good skin habits for a looong time. Moisture is key. There are many brands that help tremendously with the condition. Stop using steroids on your face right now if you are. I went to see my dermatologist who prescribed Protopic and antibiotics, combined with emollient use and Rupanase antihistamine. I was expecting severe burning as per reviews but honestly only a few headaches and slight tingling all over. I know it is early days but really just see your dermatologist. Price is just quite high but what is the comfort of your skin worth if it works well? Keep moisturizing and cleansing with the correct products every day.”

ZB · Taken for less than 1 month January 12, 2021

“Absolutely amazing. Suffered from eczema since I was a year old. Had a flare up recently on my face and steriod ointment did not work. Dr prescribed me with protopic. It burned for a day but the second day I saw amazing results! Redness dryness and itching and burning was gone. 4th day my face is smooth and much calmer. This stuff definitely works.”

Stenia March 28, 2018

“I had a very bad experience after applying the Protopic ointment on my cheeks and chin two times only. I paid $92.00 for a tube of 30g and can't use it because I got a huge burning sensation all over my face for 3 days and 3 nights. I had to sleep with an ice on my face and holding ice during a day. It looks like I was allergic to it and the horrible Pharmacy in Vancouver, BC would not give me my money back. I would never recommend this medication to anybody!!! I went to see my other clinic doctor, who said that Protopic tacrolimus 0.1% ointment is very strong. He gave me a mild compounded cream instead. I lost the money on Protopic 0.1% ointment and had to pay for my new cream again. Unbelievable....”

Jude123 May 12, 2017

“I've been using Protopic (0.1% ointment) for about six years to treat facial seborrheic dermatitis. On the plus side, Protopic ended five miserable years of itching, redness and burning that no cream seemed to help, and for that reason I am truly thankful. On the downside, it's very greasy (similar to Vaseline) which means it stays on the skin all day if applied in the morning. Drinking alcohol is a definite no-no too, as a tiny amount causes an awful reaction, making the skin immediately burn bright red. Annoyingly, if I don't use Protopic for about two weeks, when I reapply it the skin burns and itches intensely for a few hours (REALLY uncomfortable). Using it more often, say twice a week, does however resolve this problem.”

Kone · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 20, 2018

“I'm using this to prevent pitiriasis alba as a result of ezcema. Protopic is very greasy, so I use it at night only, and only on affected spots every few days (when needed). It takes away all signs of my eczema within a few days, and I haven't had a single spot of pitiriasis alba since using it. I haven't noticed any side effects or burning. Corticosteroids had no impact on my eczema whatsoever. Love this product.”

rose davis · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 9, 2018

“I have used protopic for my lupus rash and it has help me with the itching and help me I am very happy with ointment”

Corey7172 · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 3, 2018

“Works great on some areas. Inverse area where there is sensitive skin like armpits, groin maybe it might work if it didn’t cause an unbearable itch and burning causing more damage.”