User Reviews for Pramipexole to treat Parkinson's Disease

Also known as: Mirapex, Mirapex ER

Pramipexole has an average rating of 4.7 out of 10 from a total of 15 ratings for the treatment of Parkinson's Disease. 40% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 53% reported a negative effect.

Pramipexole Rating Summary

4.7/10 average rating

Compare all 68 medications used in the treatment of Parkinson's Disease.

Reviews for Pramipexole

PDMom April 20, 2009

Mirapex (pramipexole): “I was started on Mirapex for Parkinson's Disease. I have horrible pain, stiffness, tremors, headaches, dizziness and the list goes on. I had been confined to bed for nearly a year due to my complications. The very day I began taking the Mirapex we began to see improvement. As my dosage was increased I continued to show more and more improvement. Mirapex is giving me my life back...slowly but surely! The only complications I have are when my dosage is increased. I have slight nausea and tiredness but other than that I have had no other side effects.”

Laura 428 October 9, 2010

Mirapex (pramipexole): “I was unable to walk, dress myself, cook, write, or barely function. My family doctor was treating me for mini-strokes but finally agreed I should see a neurologist. He started me on Mirapex that day as he could tell that I had Parkinson's by my appearance and actions. I have been on 1.5 mg 3 times a day for a year and am back to living again. I dread to think of where I would be without Mirapex. I don't have any side effects.”

xanti August 30, 2013

Mirapex (pramipexole): “I was recently diagnosed with Parkinson's disease. I was started on Mirapex, after 3 weeks of therapy I had to stop due to severe side effects: auditive hallucinations, nausea, peripheral edema, muscle pain, vivid dreams and the worst, difficulty sleeping having the need to get up and move constantly. I'm sure that this is a very good medication but I couldn't tolerate the side effects”

DistanceMan December 22, 2012

Mirapex ER (pramipexole): “Mirapex was prescribed on Dec. 3, 2012, for my stage II Parkinson's Disease. From the first week (0.375mg only), all but a few of my symptoms were mitigated. Only a few minor side effects, which disappeared once I went to 0.75 MG for a week. Now at 1.5 MG. Easy to take, easy to swallow. I take after I've eaten a banana or piece of bread to avoid nausea.”

slmom89 · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 16, 2020

Mirapex ER (pramipexole): “Besides Mirapex ER causing compulsive behavior(shopping) as a side effect it seemed to be working fairly well. I was taking the 4.5 mg dose for Parkinson’s. But when my neurologist passed away suddenly I had to switch doctors. She completely changed my medicine. It’s been almost a month and it half and I’m in the worse shape I’ve b ever ugh been in. Withdrawal for my brain had been unimaginable.”

RedFox777 · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 29, 2021

“This drug and other dopamine agonists are a complete nightmare for me. We were devastated with the impulse control disorders or compulsive behaviours (Shopping, eating) these drugs cause. It ruined our family completely. Please refrain from using dopamine agonists. It will destroy your life by causing a lot of psychiatric problems. These come as side effects of the drug.”

mjbaz2002 · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 17, 2017

Mirapex ER (pramipexole): “Diagnosed in 2010 at 46yo - I have been using Mirapex Er .75 1x day for several years with minimal issues/problems - It can have a lot of side effects so it is not for everybody. Ok.. so I've seen a few ghosts along the way... (at the time was at a higher dose of 1.25mg per day) - I haven't seen any since lowering the dose to the current .75 level. Although you can get the fast acting non ER version - you really need the ER version to keep it in your system longer to receive the benefit of it. For me it helps to minimize the cramping I get in my right foot. My insurance will not cover this drug. I ran across this Mirapex assistance site (Eagle Pharmacy / Lakeland FL) where I can get Mirapex ER for $30 a month without insurance.”

Ghm · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 14, 2018

Mirapex ER (pramipexole): “The Mirapex ER saved my sanity!!! I had restless legs so bad, mainly at night, and my legs would jump so hard I would come close to falling off the bed. It was terrible. Mirapex ER came to my rescue. Have been on it for several years and am thankful for how it works.”

mjbaz2002 · Taken for less than 1 month June 17, 2017

“Was using Mirapex Er .75 1x day for several months with no problems/issues. Insurance company decided that it would no longer cover the brand name Mirapex ER - so I was switched to the generic. I took my regular dose before going to bed... and woke up a few hours later in stark terror thinking that the kid from the Omen movie standing beside my bed. I had to get up and turn every light in the house on and watch TV - trying to not let the paranoia get the best of me. About 3am it was like a switch was flipped and everything returned to normal - I turned off all the lights and went back to bed. I am unable to take this generic.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 27, 2019

Mirapex (pramipexole): “Awful drug!!! Caused severe impulse control disorders. Ruined entire family.”

pmm November 23, 2019

Mirapex (pramipexole): “It seems almost miraculous to me. I have been on it only a couple of days but my balance is improved, I can move more easily, even my neuropathy seems slightly better”

wv_picker September 4, 2009

Mirapex (pramipexole): “Had very bad side effects with this medication.”

Marie · Taken for less than 1 month October 19, 2018

Mirapex (pramipexole): “I tried it for one day and the side effects made me bedridden for almost 2 days. I felt so nauseous and extremely drowsy. Had a headache and then felt weak. I can't take this again”

Ray · Taken for less than 1 month March 12, 2018

“Bad dreams. nausea throwing up. Dizzy”

Anonymous March 23, 2010

“I've recently titrated up to full dose and am a bit disappointed as I've had no effects at all - no side effects fortunately, but no improvement either. I wonder if I need to give it longer.”

Learn more about Parkinson's Disease