User Reviews for Ropinirole

Also known as: Requip, Requip XL, ReQuip Follow on Pack, ReQuip Starter Pack, Requip Starter Kit

Ropinirole has an average rating of 6.4 out of 10 from a total of 288 ratings on Drugs.com. 51% of those users who reviewed Ropinirole reported a positive effect, while 26% reported a negative effect.

Restless Legs Syndrome   6.5
Periodic Limb Movement Disorder   6.0
Parkinson's Disease   5.5
Summary of Ropinirole reviews 6.4 288 reviews

Reviews for Ropinirole

Grandma · Taken for 10 years or more March 4, 2021

For Restless Legs Syndrome: “I have been on ropinirole for years for RLS. I started out with one tablet 1 mg at bedtime, but over the years it wasn't enough. So my doctor had me take one around 6:00PM and again at bedtime. Helped some, but eventually I now take. 1 at noon, 1 at 6:00pm and 2 at bedtime. Only way to control it now. I really don't like taking that much but have no choice. Doctor tried me on pramipexole .125 mg. One a day at bedtime this last year, but It did nothing. So I am back to Ropinirole. Couldn't survive if I didn't have it. Anyone that has RLS understands what I mean. My Mom had it for years and I couldn't understand what she was feeling, but believe me I do now.”

Shaya · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 15, 2021

For Restless Legs Syndrome: “I have had RLS for about 15 years. I was taking ropinirole .025 at bed time helped for few years. That dose didn't help so My doctor said I am going through augmentation. Now am on 1 mg nights, was great for few months same thing happened! (Augmentation). Let me tell you, I am suffering as I write this comment. I can't sleep. I can't concentrate, is the worse feeling ever. What should I do to get some relief?”

Eighthof8 · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 14, 2021

For Restless Legs Syndrome: “I am 64. A few years ago RLS came out of nowhere. Never had issues with it previously. It's a pain that doesn't have a description unless you've had it. I'm on this site here doing research on how to immediately get rid of this episode. Yes I know I'm wasting my time, just have to wait till it goes away. When I first started having episodes, I was thinking how life was so hard because the pain is so bad there's no way to live with it. I asked my Dr if anything can be done. That's when she prescribed Ropinirole. It worked like magic! Yes I'm having an episode now. Every once in a while even with taking the meds RLS still reminds you that's it's there waiting for the right time to make your life miserable!”

Mfin February 14, 2021

Requip (ropinirole) for Restless Legs Syndrome: “My wife has been taking this medicine for 3 years. She has been a life long devout church going Christian. She developed an uncontrolled secret online gambling addiction that has likely caused us to lose our home just when we were fixing to pay it off. Destroyed our good credit rating, repossessions, etc. When I finally found out we had occurred $1800 in overdraft fees in only 4 weeks. She gambled my entire paycheck week after and fell behind on the mortgage for MANY months with huge late fees attached and developed an awesome way to hide the addiction for a long time which made the financial destruction larger than imaginable. She kept gambling anyway in hopes of eventually winning enough to fix the disaster this medicine created hoping to fix it and I would never know. Doctors and Pharmacists need to make it a priority to council the patient about Requip and plainly asked FREQUENTLY if the patient has found themselves gambling to help stop it before it destroys families.”

Blewee0813 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 10, 2021

For Restless Legs Syndrome: “Requip doesn't help my RLS at all. I get zero relief.”

thinkbeforeyouspeak · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 2, 2020

For Periodic Limb Movement Disorder: “I've had Periodic Limb Movement Disorder (PLMD) for years, occuring 4 nights out of every week. Was given Gabapentin first which didn't work, but 4 weeks ago I started using Ropinirole and it worked immediately, giving me a massively better sleeping experience. I have had no single PLM occurence since starting. My sleep still pretty fragmented, but somehow of a better quality, and more deep. Feel very pleased about it.”

lilredred · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 20, 2020

Requip (ropinirole) for Restless Legs Syndrome: “I took Requip for RLS 3 years and found that it was messing with my emotions. For the longest time I didn't know that the med was causing it. Then I quit taking it for a week and discovered it. So I change to something else”

Louis Cyphre · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 8, 2020

For Parkinson's Disease: “Ropinirole is, for me, a miracle drug, I take if for Drug-induced Parkinsonism/Fibromyalgia/RLS. The subjective effects are very similar to Xanax, even though the pharmacology is totally different. I am surprised that it is not FDA approved for insomnia, anxiety, depression, and pain management. However, I fear that if this drug garners too much attention, it is likely to become a schedule IV medication, like benzodiazepines. It is so difficult to get any prescription medication that actually works, that isn’t controlled. I have had absolutely NO side effects. It is the most effective drug for the muscle spasms from fibromyalgia. In conjunction with diazepam, it relieves my RLS symptoms, and helps me fall asleep easily and wake up feeling rested. For me no side effects of gambling, promiscuous sexual activity, or driving while sleeping either.”

Dee · Taken for 10 years or more August 5, 2020

Requip (ropinirole) for Restless Legs Syndrome: “I have been taking Requip for probably 15 years for RLS, then I was moved up to requip XL and I've been taking that just fine for probably another 8 years. And if you have restless leg syndrome do you know what I'm talking about there's no such thing as sleep you just can't. I would rather go without my heart medication and have a heart attack than get no sleep and have a heart attack. Because my requip works I have to have the brand name. The ropinirole makes me very sick sick to my stomach I threw all my pills up and that doesn't do any good. It also makes me sick to my stomach and nauseous all day I don't want that either. So for the last four months I have been trying to refill my requip and nobody seems to have it. Did they stop making the real thing? Please tell me they did not stop making requip and all they have is ropinirole. It would be the end of me I cannot find the real thing. I need the real thing!”

Bellarose · Taken for less than 1 month July 31, 2020

Requip (ropinirole) for Restless Legs Syndrome: “Took this Requip for about a week and then it stopped working. I now take Kratom and the RLS is GONE..”

Veryvancouver · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 3, 2020

For Restless Legs Syndrome: “I am an 80 yr old woman who has had RLS since the birth of my first child 57 years ago. I have taken many drugs over the years. Currently I am taking 1200MG of gabapentin and 2MG of Ropinerole. It works great, but I have noticed a weight gain over the past few months. I have gone from 150 lbs to just over 170. I want to lose some of this weight, and have tried cutting back on what I eat, but the weight keeps going up. I contacted by neurologist, but he just says to keep on like I am. Maybe start taking some magnesium in place of some of the gabapentin. Has anyone else had a weight gain like this. I am experiencing edema in my legs.”

sick about side effects · Taken for 10 years or more May 27, 2020

For Restless Legs Syndrome: “I started taking Ropinirole about 15 years ago. I never received any warnings about side effects from my doctor. Within a year, I resigned from a business I worked 24/7 for 30 years to build. I never played cards or gambled while in Las Vegas. As my dose increased from two 1mg to four 1 mg I began trading stocks like I knew what I was doing. I traded over 100,000 shares of stock a year. A couple of years later, I started reading the side effects for all my meds very closely. After reading about compulsive behavior I tried taking a few different medications, sadly, nothing worked like Ropinirole. After learning how it affected me, I still found it hard to stop being so compulsive. This morning I was looking for any new substitutes for Ropinirole, then thought I needed to write this review.”

Rs April 22, 2020

Requip XL (ropinirole) for Periodic Limb Movement Disorder: “The game changer for me is the slow release XL, much less side effects. I do sometimes top up with 1mg of normal Ropinarole before bed, and then feel the side affects. Would recommend 4mg XL slow release for RLS”

Shabbycat · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 16, 2020

Requip (ropinirole) for Restless Legs Syndrome: “I have had RLS for over 40 years. I have taken every single drug available. I took requip when it was first being used for RLS. It worked a charm. With some crazy side effects. I had to stop it after 6 months because it started to give me rebound RLS. Now if I take a Requip I will have horrible RLS. I started taking opiates for it. From my neuro who told me I had the worst case he had seen. I have it all over. I have been suicidal. I have been miserable almost all my life. It isn’t fair to force someone with a terrible medical condition to live. Well now I take Methadone. 140 mg everyday. I no longer have ANY RLS symptoms. Yes it made me gain weight but I don’t care. I live without any RLS symptoms and that is all I care about. I would never give up this medication. If I am ever forced off that will be the end of the road for me. I can’t go back to not sleeping for weeks at a time. I used to be lucky if I feel asleep for an hour a day.”

B · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 11, 2020

Requip (ropinirole) for Restless Legs Syndrome: “Horrible nightmares”

Thed · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 27, 2020

Requip (ropinirole) for Restless Legs Syndrome: “I started taking Requip when it first came out and within a year had serious lung issues leading to a pulmonary embolism.”

Mathew · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 11, 2020

For Restless Legs Syndrome: “I started off at 1mg and have over 2 years gone up to 1mg in the morning and 2mg at night, have to take with food or the side effects are horrible, and if on something that acts on 5hta receptors, especially LSD the side effects become unbearable, all in all taken with food it's not she so bad, and since the RLS is so much worse it's worth it, still looking for a possible alternative aside from opiates which unfortunately work the best, but the addiction to them is no joke.”

Anonymous February 6, 2020

For Restless Legs Syndrome: “I started taking 3mg dose of ropinirole at night for my restless legs. I've had horrible restless legs for the past 2 years since I had my daughter. An hour after I took this medicine last night I was very nauseous and started throwing up. I didn't have restless legs last night but I was very sick for about an hour. I'm trying this medication one more night to see if I can get by without getting sick. If I do get sick again I'm going to only take half of the medication next time”

KP · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 1, 2020

For Restless Legs Syndrome: “My life would be unliveable without this medication.”

Hami13 · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 18, 2019

For Restless Legs Syndrome: “After 18 with RLS, I visited a doctor and got a formal diagnosis and medication. 0.25Mg Ropinirole (worked like a miracle cure initially) and building up to 2Mg after 2 months. started 2Mg and twice within 5 days I had collapsed/passed out/fainted. Therefore I am now on 0.5Mg twice a day - dinner and bedtime. It is hit and miss - two reasonable sleeps per week - 5 awful evenings and nights. Can't sleep during the afternoon any longer as RLS dominates my legs almost immediately when lying down. Progressive syndrome (RLS) and for life possibly and building a tolerance to Ropinirole - you wonder where this will go next / end up! All my sympathies for those out there with RLS - it is so unknown/misunderstood.”

PB November 14, 2019

For Restless Legs Syndrome: “I have had RLS for 35 years and have taken Ropinerole for 15 years. Today I am one week Ropinerole free. A reviewer here says 'started on 2mg ropinerole and vomiting'. Ropinerole should be started on the lowest dose, around .25mg and slowly titrated upwards and taken with food to reduce nausea. To start on 2mg is madness. The official guideline is that max daily dose for ropinerole is 4mg but many RLS experts (John Hopkings, Mayo Clinic, etc) say experience shows this is just asking for augmentation and the max daily dose should be no more than 1mg. Because of augmentation I knew I had to get off the ropinerole and was afraid of the withdrawals. I was on 5mg daily and It took a year slowly weaning. Ropinerole can seem like a wonder drug but it has a high rate of augmentation. ”

Bob · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 9, 2019

For Restless Legs Syndrome: “Doc suggested Ropinirole .25mg for RLS I take two each evening 2 hr before bed. From day one it has been terrific. I have read some of the side effects, but I have had none, just an elimination of the RLS and a great night sleep.”

Hippy · Taken for less than 1 month October 30, 2019

For Restless Legs Syndrome: “My doctor just prescribed ropinirole for my RLS but after reading the experiences of most other people who are taking it I'm terrified to try it. With PTSD, depression with anxiety and panic disorder this stuff just might harm me.”

Bagel · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 6, 2019

For Restless Legs Syndrome: “I'm on 4mg. It works but I have terrible side effects from it. However RLS is incurable and is worse so I still need to take it. 45 minutes after taking it I get nausea, fever chills, and body aches. It makes me tired which is fine by me.”

Lucylu · Taken for less than 1 month September 19, 2019

For Periodic Limb Movement Disorder: “I had been a bad sleeper all of my life and never realized there was a reason. I was sick of being tired so finally went to a sleep specialist and had a sleep study. He told me I had 300+ leg movements in the night. After increasing my iron and doing stretches I was still waking up, though not as much. I started on Ropinrole a few days ago and am already sleeping better. The nights are not as long as they used to be. I feel more rested during the day. I used to feel like a zombie. The first night I had a ton of really vivid dreams which was odd. Since then I've had a few each night. Not scary just boring slightly annoying dreams. Like a dream where I lose my keys and go through a day trying to find them. I haven't had any other side effects.”