User Reviews for Neulasta to treat Neutropenia Associated with Chemotherapy

Neulasta has an average rating of 5.6 out of 10 from a total of 52 ratings for the treatment of Neutropenia Associated with Chemotherapy. 50% of those users who reviewed Neulasta reported a positive effect, while 38% reported a negative effect.

Neulasta Rating Summary

5.6/10 average rating

Compare all 14 medications used in the treatment of Neutropenia Associated with Chemotherapy.

Reviews for Neulasta

Florida gal1 · Taken for less than 1 month April 7, 2021

“Do not take neulasta. I was given the patch on the arm after 5th treatment of chemotherapy and it felt like I was tortured! My shins and toes and fingers were literally throbbing with pain, it felt as if someone took a sledgehammer and swung it hard on my bones. I was crying for days. Zyrtec and Claritin and pain pills did not work! I will never ever take Neulasta, nor do I trust the drug companies! I had to use a cane to walk because at times I almost fell because of the pain. This is 9 days later and I am still in excruciating pain. Shame on you drug companies!”

Not4MeEverAgain January 16, 2021

“Neulasta was put on my arm after 1st Chemo. It is common practice w/o checking labs day after Chemo & BEFORE using it. GO BACK TO DR NEXT DAY TO CHECK WHITE BLOOD CELL (WBC) COUNT & SEE IF U REALLY TRULY NEED THiS!”

cml1440 · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 20, 2020

“My brother is currently undergoing chemotherapy for a rare cancer. He gets chemo for 5 days then he’s off for 3 weeks. At the end of each treatment he’s given the Neulasta shot (patch form). It goes off the following day. Usually within 12 hours my brother experiences excruciating bone pain especially in his back area. He screams and cries in pain and there’s nothing that helps- Clariton, Tylenol, hot/cold packs, prescription pain pills. It is literal torture on his body. His doctor said these are “normal” side effects but to me this is not worth it. I can’t stand to listen to his cries anymore, this medication is destroying his body mentally and physically.”

Jazz · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 24, 2018

“Onpro ads on TV are so bogus. First of all , all patients should be shown BALD. They romanticize this entire experience. Once you get Neulasta or Onpro, you experience debilitating bone/muscle pain. You cannot stand to be touched literally. From head to toe. Claritin? Ha, helps minimally if at all. Me, I take home the shot and give it to myself 24 hours after my treatment. Okay it helps with neutropenia, I get it. But please don’t show women with a full head of hair with Onpro on their arm. We are bald, feel like crap, and it takes 2 days to get over the side affects of this over priced drug. Cancer in all its forms is ugly, and so is its treatment.”

Rigdon · Taken for less than 1 month July 4, 2019

“This drug Neulasta is the worst ! The side effects are horrible and absolutely not worth any possible benefit. Come on Amgen step up your game. You made 3.8 billion dollars off this drug last year. I think you can surely do better.”

Nan · Taken for less than 1 month October 24, 2019

“Second round of chemo combo of taxol/cisplatin/avastin and Dr gave Neulasta onpro to keep WBC up. On day 5 had left femur pain. Day 6 started horrible upper sternum, lower back pelvis pain. The pain is constant unless I’m walking around. I can’t lay, sleep or get any relief with the use of Claritin, ibuprofen, Tylenol, warm bath, or cold compress. Pain is an 7-8 that pushes 9 when I try to lay down. I will never take this drug ever again. This is worse than the chemo with absolutely no relief. Just hoping the pain doesn’t last for days.”

123mfd123 · Taken for less than 1 month May 26, 2017

“I received the Neulasta after my chemo on Thursday. It blinked away for 27 hours, sounded its 2-minute warning, and dispenses its medicine all as advertised. I took Claritin and experienced no bone pain. By Monday I developed a fever, and by Wednesday my white cell count hit ZERO. I think the Neulasta failed and am curious about other patients with NO white cell count improvements from Neulasta. Also, the commercials really bother me because all the actors have hair. By the time you're on "strong chemo" you have no hair, eyebrows, or eyelashes.”

Poo · Taken for less than 1 month March 26, 2020

“I had my 2nd Neulasta a week ago today. The bone pain is horrible. I've been taking the Claritin/Advil that my nurse said would help with the pain. Here it is a week later and it's getting worse. Barely able to sleep. Laid on ice last night which helped but the minute I got off the ice the pain returned. Luckily I have only 1 more of 6 chemo treatments so this should be the last time I get Neulasta. The pain is excruciating. Hope this stops soon.”

me November 28, 2019

“dr prescribed this Neulasta after chemo. had 2 lots so far and I will never take it again! Both times were bad but the second time was worse. The glands on the sides of my neck hurts so bad and swelled. My ears hurt my jaw hurt. Low grade fever for 2 days. Second dose was the same with swollen neck glands low grade fever 100.5 and ear pain Declining this med next week.”

Alex59 · Taken for less than 1 month July 30, 2017

“Worse experience in my life with any medication. My WBC counts were normal after 12 rounds of chemo so it was unnecessary. I have never felt such excruciating bone pain for over 8 days. I was bedridden unable to stand up or sit down. Lost a weeks worth of work which is devastating as an independent contractor. I never will take Neulasta again no matter who recommends it. :(”

Anonymous in PA February 17, 2015

“I was recently diagnosed with early stage breast cancer. My treatment plan consists of 4 Chemo treatments followed by 4 Neulasta shots. Well, initially I was told about the side effect (bone pain) but was not told that the pain could be reduced or even elimated before it started just by taking 1 Claritin the day of and after the shot. You guys know that this shot stimulates the bone marrow (center of the bone) to produce the white blood cells, right. I experienced the most excruciating and crippling pain in my life from the first shot. To add, I also had a nose bleed. My experience with the second shot was much better. Take the Claritin if you can….”

SS · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 2, 2020

“Receiving Neulasta Onpro after chemo for stage 2 TNBC. I've had 3 cycles with it and taking the Claritin definitely helps (in my case) ease the bone pain a bit. I haven't had it nearly as severely as some of the other reviewers, but it is unpleasant, nonetheless. More importantly, the reason for my low review is that my white cell counts are still very low and my ANC is near zero - critically low - I don't think it's really doing it's job. Plan to discuss the possibility of discontinuing with my oncologist.”

Jack · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 22, 2018

“If I see that stupid commercial one more time. “ wouldn’t you rather stay at home”. No, I wouldn’t. I would rather go get a shot everyday than take this. Horrible side effects. This drug is all about big pharma and money.”

Junebug · Taken for less than 1 month December 13, 2018

“I have stage 2b lung cancer. I have had surgery but am receiving chemotherapy because it was also found in my lymph nodes. The first time my white cell numbers were down I had to postpone chemo and get one shot of the generic Nuelasta each day for 3 days. I have now had 1 dose on the OnPro Nuelasta. The shots made my bones hurt much more than Nuelasta but no one told me about Claritin when I got the shots. I begin the Claritin 1 day before chemo, take it the day of, and 3 days after. I had no pain at all. I take the extended release Claritin D every 24 hrs. Hope this helps someone.”

Oreo · Taken for less than 1 month August 6, 2020

“DO NOT TAKE THIS DRUG Neulasta. My husband has colon cancer. His neutrophils were extremely low. He was given the On Body Injector 7/1/20- severe left shoulder pain with 1 hour. Took claritin as directed. Went to ER 7/4/20 told had torn rotator cuff. NO help. Saw primary Dr 7/6/20 given shots. After week , shoulder pain got a little better. 7/16/20 second dose Neulasta On Body Injector. Went to Primary two times. Cancer Dr. ordered MRI. Took from 7/1/2020 until 7/29/20 to get MRI. Saw orthopedic. 08/3/20 no torn rotator cuff tear. Some arthritis, tendonitisin shoulder, neck has some spurs, arthritis, pinched nerve. My husband is 71 years old. Worked full time with own Pest Control business, lifted weights, stretching, used bands for strenthening, rode bike. No pain until Neulasta injections. As of 8/6/2020 can not use left shoulder, he has extreme pain, nothing touches the pain. Drs should tell patients this drug can cause disability.”

Flyniah · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 4, 2019

“I didn’t expect the pain to be so bad. My jaw, teeth, arms, legs and stomach were all hurting. Felt like labor pains!!! I’ve had 4 children and wasn’t as uncomfortable as this! I’m not sure I want to go through this again in a few weeks”

Shoulders Gone To Heck November 23, 2019

“Nine years ago I was diagnosed with a very aggressive stage III breast cancer. Did strong chemo every two weeks and got a total of 8 shots of Neulasta alternating arms. The onpro was not available then. Reported terrible shoulder tip pain even after the first shot and it got worse, but to stay on the chemo schedule, I toughed it out. Bone pain was excruciating. Two years ago I started having shoulder issues after a rotator cuff tear. Lots of adhesive capsulitis, manipulated several times, finally had a scapular tendon replacement done after 4 surgeries. Now next month, after no injury, my other shoulder has an 75-80%tear from deterioration with adhesive capsulitis too. No family history of breast cancer or shoulder issues genetically. My question is has there been any studies done on how this drug Neulasta ( Pegfilgrastim) effects shoulder tendons? My orthopedic surgeon has a lot of breast cancer survivors with rotator cuff surgeries that have had this shot?”

Nellie · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 19, 2019

“Bar none, use of the Neulasta Onpro Patch after chemo (for Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma )produced the most excruciating pain I have ever experienced. I’m a tough old broad of 70, but after two attempts to comply with my oncologist’s recommendations, I begged him to just let me die instead. OxyContin did not touch the pain, as I felt every bone in my body was ready to explode. I could not sit, stand, lie, or walk without bending double in agony. And guess what! My WBC dropped from a normal of 4.6 to 2.9 and is still that ten months later. My son is an oncologist and prescribes Neulasta as an absolute last resort for patients who demand it, thanks to clever advertising! A money-maker, yes; a helpful drug? I don't think so”

Berda70 · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 15, 2015

“I am 44 female, and I had total of 4 injections. Yes, it really works with keeping the white blood cells count up. Did an awesome job there! But I had such severe bone and joint pain. It was unreal the pain. Always 2 days after getting injection. And pain would last longer with each new injection. But I got Percocet for pain. I would just takes a pill then go to bed. I seriously hate how very bad the pain was! But even being around the little ones I babysit for. Who seemed always sick, I never caught anything. But the pain is insane. Drink lots and lots and lots of water and fluids.”

willie · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 28, 2019

“I have never felt worse than I have after receiving this medication. I received a shot after my treatments and today has been the worse ever. I cannot feel my hands and my feet hurt to stand/walk. I will be asking my doctor to take this out of my regimen..”

Husky · Taken for less than 1 month February 1, 2020

“Had my first round of Chemo on Wednesday and a Neulasta injection in abdomen the next day. At day 2 pain in knees was increasing. Last night pain felt like my knees were exploding! Pain meds won't touch it! Haven't slept. Dr. said it's a reaction to Neulasta. Please tell me this will go away and not get worse in the next few days!”

Josh · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 17, 2020

“My mom has stage 4 extensive small cell lung cancer and is receiving chemo and immunotherapy. Her WBC and neutrophils were incredibly unstable throughout all of cycle one, and resulted in a week long ICU stay when combined with drastically low sodium. For cycles 2-4 she had the Onpro Neulasta injector- which you want to make sure you’re at home for. Two of the four cycles we had more appointments and labs the next day and hearing that thing beep and infuse in the car or waiting room is rather anxiety inducing. My mother doesn’t complain too much about the pain- it’s generally for a day or so and her medical marijuana helps take the edge off. Weekly blood tests for the second and third cycles confirmed it steadied her blood counts through the varying nadirs of her chemo cocktail (carboplatin and etoposide) and helped keep thrush at bay. Overall she’s happy with it. Sorry it seems to go so badly for so many...”

Jgoat · Taken for less than 1 month February 13, 2019

“My little brother has stage 4 pancreatic cancer that has spread to his liver. He was diagnosed in early September of this year. He got up early on day 2 after taking Neulasta and complained about severe pain from his stomach to the back of his neck and shoulders. We just heard about the Claritan medication application through this news letters and others. I just wanted to say thanks to all of you for recommending the Claritan to help stop some of the pain. He just hates taking pain medications for the way it makes him feel. He is just so worn out all of the time. Will try and get back to you nice people for helping with the advice. He has a very rare cancer so we will see. Again Thanks for the advice.”

TjoyG September 23, 2015

“First chemo (cytoxin/taxotere) on Wednesday & Neulasta shot 24 hours after. Was very exhausted Friday mid day & by night time all hell broke loose. The bone pain was excruciating & debilitating. Luckily it was the weekend, but never left my bed, had to call out to work on Monday & only could work 1/2 day Tuesday. Its now 1 week later & the bone pain is still present in some areas, mainly my legs & feet making it hard to walk. I do not meet the Neulasta's website criteria for taking this drug. I am suggesting my oncologist find another way to help w/my white blood cell counts. Seriously will reconsider continuing chemo since at this stage it is only being given as an insurance policy since my double mastectomy removed the cancer.”

Beth R · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 23, 2018

“Started taking Neulasta in conjunction with my chemo. So far have 2 injections, the pain is more severe each time. Pain on a scale of (1-10) always minimum 8 and escalating to 10 occasionally. Can barely get out of bed for 3 days. Spoke with oncology dept. about my severe back pain and they told me it had nothing to do with the Neulasta and so see my family doctor. None of my Drs. forewarned me before I started taking this drug of the severe side effects and it looks like they still have their "heads in the sand". Or they believe the pain is worth the gain, unfortunately they are not going through it. I'm going to try the Claritin as someone recommended as there will obviously be no assistance coming from my medical field.”

mplstracy August 14, 2016

“I learned from another patient to take Claritin a few days after the shot and keep taking it for 5 days. It really worked. The first time the pain was so bad, it felt like 3-4 days of labor pains. When I used the Claritin I only felt little twinges and a few cramps.”

Carrie Anne May 26, 2011

“I am taking this in conjuction with AC Chemotherapy for IDC Breast Cancer. I am 40 years old and haven't had much aching that I couldn't take care of with Advil. Not a bad trade-off for good white blood cell numbers.”

Anonymous March 26, 2008

“My white count was 1.3 and the Neulasta injection raised it in one week to 13. Range is 3.5-11. It didn't seem to affect my other counts. I feel bloated. Not sure if it is a side affect. I have a myeloid leukemia called APL. I still don't have any energy.”