User Reviews for Rhofade to treat Rosacea

Rhofade has an average rating of 3.1 out of 10 from a total of 102 ratings for the treatment of Rosacea. 21% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 74% reported a negative effect.

Rhofade Rating Summary

3.1/10 average rating

Compare all 66 medications used in the treatment of Rosacea.

Reviews for Rhofade

JenJen · Taken for less than 1 month June 4, 2020

“I finally got my moderate rosacea under control with a good skin care regimen. I had a tiny amount of redness left and decided to try rhofade to see if I could eliminate it. WORST IDEA EVER. My face looks worse than it did before I began a regimen with serums etc. It’s red and hot especially at night. I had to buy zinc oxide and colloidal oatmeal lotion to help control it. I’m also on doxycycline and taking an antihistamine. My skin finally looked good and I messed it all up by using rhofade. I’m praying that it will go back to what it looked like before I ever put this on. DO NOT USE!”

srh94 · Taken for less than 1 month May 5, 2020

“I'm so disappointed and wish I read these reviews before putting this cream on my face and don't understand why my derm recommended this. I have mild rosacea and suffer from getting really random red blotches and small bumps all over my face with an uneven skin texture. Of course everyone's skin reacts differently but I had the same negative reactions as most other reviewers on here. Within 5 days of persistent use of this cream and NO other changes to my skincare routine, I developed tons of tiny whiteheads on my chin and my face is redder than ever. Even my boyfriend asked what was wrong with my skin when I woke up this morning. It's such a shame that this medication is so expensive especially with insurance and it doesn't seem to work for most people. The side effects it brought on my face are awful and I'm scared to see how long I have to deal with this for :( USE CAUTION!!!!”

D · Taken for less than 1 month August 27, 2020

“Made my rosacea significantly worse than it was, and it's caused acute itching. This is probably the worst side effect I've ever experienced from a rosacea med in my 30+ years of dealing with this condition. I cannot recommend it at all and will share my experience with the appropriate regulators and the company.”

Aurora March 16, 2021

“I recently went to the derm & was diagnosed with mild/moderate rosacea. The derm prescribed me Rhofade - the beginning of all my problems. The first few days I wore Rhofade my skin looked nice & much less pink red. By the 3rd day I noticed in the evening my cheeks felt really hot. I looked in the mirror & was shocked to see my face more red than it had ever been before. But the next morning I stupidly put the cream on again. By that evening my face was bright red again. By then I was looking at reviews on here & was extremely upset. Why did my derm not mention rebound redness was a possibility & how intense it could be?! At that point I stopped using it but I’ve been suffering with frequent flushing & redness for a week now. It is slowly getting better but my skin still looks so stressed and feels hot. At my worst it felt like I had a chemical peel, sunburn & fever all at the same time. STAY FAR AWAY FROM RHOFADE! It is not worth it! I hope I get back to my baseline soon :/”

Rin February 11, 2020

“I’ve tried both Rhofade and Mirvaso for mild rosacea that flares to severe from triggers. These will either work miracles for you or be a disaster. For me, Mirvaso made my skin clear and translucent during the time it worked but I would get HORRIBLE flare ups afterwards that would last weeks. Rhofade doesn’t seem to cause much rebound redness for me, although I would say the reduction is less than Mirvaso. After Rhofade has worn off, my rosacea will be a bit worse for a few hours before returning to normal. IMPORTANT: Rhofade and Mirvaso do not have any cumulative effects. They only work by constricting the blood vessels for a max of 12 hours. IF YOU TRY RHOFADE FOR THE FIRST TIME, apply it to a small section and don’t do it before anything important. If you do have a severe rebound, it can last for several weeks. Rhofade will either work or it won’t. It’s a gamble. In the long run, I’ve found laser therapy more cost effective with permanent results.”

Buttercup · Taken for less than 1 month February 19, 2019

“Dr. Emily Goeller prescribed this cream for my very mild rosacea. I had slight redness but no bumps or pustules on my cheeks only. After one use of rhofade on one cheek only I had a flare up with pustules all over my face and my eyes burned. There are many bad reviews for this cream but that's typical for rosacea treatment. However, this cream is much worse than most other treatments. Almost everyone has a bad reaction and it takes months to heal. Compare rhofade reviews to azelaic acid reviews. Azelaic acid is much better. I recommend that you don't risk it.”

Aurora823 · Taken for less than 1 month May 20, 2021

“It's been a bit over two months since my bad reaction to Rhofade (I wrote an earlier review back in March of this year). I wish I could say I'm completely healed now but I'm not. I'm still dealing with unprovoked flushing that burns and stings so much. And each week I'm noticing more and more broken capillaries across both cheeks (I initially only noticed one but now I see many). All of these problems I never had before using Rhofade :( I've been to three derms since the initial one I saw and they have thrown all sorts of treatments at me to "help" with the reaction my skin had to Rhofade - but all seem to think Rhofade shouldn't still be affecting me now but it very much is. From what I've read many have dealt with recoveries that take many months. I hope a lawsuit is filed against this horrific cream!”

Arcaena September 10, 2019

“I asked my derm if there was a way to minimize the capillaries, in my cheeks from years of rosacea. He prescribed Rhofade. Thank God they did a pre-authorization or it would have been necessary to remortgage my home. After one application, my face was red, inflamed and broke out in bumps everywhere. I now have two full tubes of this stuff and I wouldn't give it to my worst enemy.”

M February 19, 2019

“I had mild unexplained flushing (mostly evenings) but otherwise beautiful skin. At my derm’s recommendation I used this across my nose/cheeks for 6 weeks to curtail flushing. The first 3 weeks it did eliminate most flushing, however when I washed my face at night the area where I used the rhofade was getting redder and redder. Went to the derm who explained there could be a mild temporary ‘rebound’ after it wore off and it was safe for everyday use. This night time redness/burning got incredibly bad last week to the point I went online and found these reviews. I stopped using the product immediately and in the last 5 days have had PAINFUL redness, burning and swelling to the point of using ice packs at night and my husband thinking we should go to the ER. Please, if anyone has experienced this and knows how long it will last (days, weeks?) I would so appreciate a word of encouragement that this is temporary and gets better. Thanks for sharing any experiences.”

Chimpee · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 16, 2020

“I've been using Rhofade daily for over 2 years. I apply it in the morning after Finacea and before moisturizer and sunscreen. It's really controlled my flushing. I've had no issues with rebound redness at all. It's made it feel like my rosacea is in remission. One cool thing is I don't turn beet red when I work out/do cardio.”

daffodil November 5, 2019

“I have redness on my face and my Dermatoligist prescribed Rhofade… I filled my 1st prescription and within 2 days my face was getting redder. I pushed through for another 2 weeks hoping to see some improvement. By the end of 2 weeks my face was so red that it looked like a terrible sunburn. I actually got frightened and discontinued the treatment. I wish I had seen these reviews prior to starting treatment. This medication should be taken off the market.”

Julia Anders · Taken for less than 1 month August 19, 2019

“I have rosacea and persistent redness on my face. I've tried Prosacea, and it's okay and works well as long as I take cold showers and watch what I eat. My dermatologist suggested Rhofade and it took away the redness ALMOST INSTANTLY. I don't know if it'll control the redness even after I get off of it, but as I am taking it, I almost feel like a human again. I definitely recommend giving Rhofade a try. Now, I've read the reviews, but I haven't noticed any strange bumps or burning sensation. I understand rosacea is different for everyone, but medications are worth it to figure out how we can control our symptoms and live a happier life!”

LB · Taken for less than 1 month April 21, 2021

“Rhofade ruined my skin. I used Rhofade for about 5 days or so, and noticed toward the last few days that it had started to really sting my skin when I applied it. I started developing dry, SEVERELY itchy patches of skin, acne on my face, and my skin became intensely red and burning. The itching is so intense and painful I am considering going to urgent care. My whole face is inflamed and I am miserable. I stopped this cream 2 days ago and the symptoms are persisting. RUN FROM RHOFADE. It has left my skin 1000x worse off then I was before.”

Joshy · Taken for less than 1 month February 26, 2020

“Same as others. Tried it and the first day it worked great at getting rid of mild redness. Used it for a week and each day the tingling, burning and redness now deeper than ever, came on. Will never use again.”

CC July 2, 2020

“I have severe rosacea that got worse after I had my son. I am taking doxycycline & using a medicated face wash and a cream. They have helped immensely but I still have residual redness. I told my derm I notice a lot of capillaries. So since we were doing telemedicine because of Covid, she prescribed me Rhofade (short of laser in the office). She said it’s like “visine for the face”. First day I noticed a difference. That was the day before yesterday. My skin seemed ....tighter? My pores were tighter. It helped slightly with the redness but didn’t effect some of the bigger capillaries. I didn’t use yesterday. I used today, put it on this morning. About 3 My cheeks just under my cheek bones started tingling....almost feels like the beginning of a facial twitch but it doesn’t actually twitch. I showered and washed my face and it’s continuing. I don’t see a big enough effect on my redness to deal with this tingling. My face also feels hot. This cream is not working for me.”

don’t panic too much! · Taken for less than 1 month June 27, 2019

“I had a really horrible experience with Rhofade rebound after I used a tiny amount ONLY TWICE I got rebound redness to the point where my cheeks turned almost purple. I was flaring at new triggers - foods and heat - when I would only get mildly red during times of stress and exercise. BUT I would say that I have basically recovered! It’s been about 3 months since I first used the Rhofade and I would say I'm back to my normal baseline. The best thing you can do is keep your stress levels low. Know that it will improve with time, even if it doesn’t feel like it! Eat a balanced diet and make sure your skincare routine is very gentle while you are recovering. :) i hope this helps alleviate some stress. I know that I was in a full on panic that I had permanently ruined my skin (which was not the case)!”

Person66 March 17, 2019

“Horrible. Was prescribed this by dermatologist for mild rosacea, without any warning about possible side effects. I used this in conjunction with Plexion daily wash. Used no other facial soaps at all. Only other skin regimen was to use the recommended neutral moisturizers. Within 5 days of using rhofade the redness had become much worse. Before treatment, I just had a smooth simple blush. After 5 days of this "medicine", my skin had become much more red, over much more area. Instead of smooth slight red, it's bright red and blotchy, with bumps and break-outs forming. Dry and rough and yet looks very shiny. Itching became so bad that I could not sleep (I did resist urge to scratch). I stopped the meds 2 days ago but the symptoms persist. With so many negative reports here, how did this medicine pass approval? The studies claim only very low (like 2%) have adverse reactions. What is the truth here? How long will it take to recover? Or is the damage permanent?”

Jp December 20, 2019

“I went to my derm for mild face redness, I’ve had mild rosacea for years. Sometimes it flares up and I wanted something to control the bad times. This product has made my skin SO MUCH WORSE!! It’s 10X worse than it was and I’ve only been using it a few days. After reading the reviews I realized it’s a common side effect. I’m glad this product has worked for some, I was not one of them. Now I have to wait to see if this redness calms down. I’ll never I’d it again!”

PK · Taken for less than 1 month December 23, 2018

“DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT!!!! I was prescribed Rhofade for mild rosacea and facial redness. I was very open minded and excited to try this product. After 4 days of use my face has broken out with pustules, severe inflammation, and is fire engine red. It is itchy and painful at the same time. Nothing seems to give me relief. Just in time for Christmas too. I am absolutely furious this product is on the market and being recommended.”

Howtobe1 April 20, 2020

“I experienced extreme tingling all over my face that was very uncomfortable after using Rhofade. I waited a week and re-tried with the same response. It felt like little electric currents all over my face. Use with caution!”

Meg · Taken for less than 1 month March 5, 2021

“DO NOT use this product. Heed the other reviews. My derm prescribed this for some moderate flushing and honestly I wish I'd just dealt with the redness, because now my skin is covered in bumps and pustules. I stopped using and pray for a rebound. Seriously my skin was basically clear apart from redness before using this product, and now it's bumpier than even during my teenage years. I pray for a speedy recovery...”

LRA · Taken for less than 1 month December 9, 2018

“Had mild rosacea, red but not always, never pimples. Derm prescribed Rhofade now I am covered in pimples, BRIGHT RED skin worse than ever before. In fact I have horrible skin that cannot be covered with make-up. This should be taken OFF THE MARKET!!! It has ruined my skin on my face. THIS IS AWEFUL!!! DO NOT DO NOT USE”

Bill · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 2, 2019

“Definitely reduces redness but with rebound redness that persists for multiple after stopping use. Both effectiveness and rebound are not quite as pronounces as with Mirvaso. There is no way trials showed no rebound. The FDA is failing us.”

Gal · Taken for less than 1 month August 30, 2019

“I have mild to moderate rosacea. My doctor made this sound like it was such a great cream to treat rosacea and she's never had any patients have a bad reaction to it. She gave me a sample and a prescription. I had the same awful reaction to it as other reviewers, after the first use. I got huge red bumps (similar to pimples) on my face. I used it a second time and it got worse so I threw it in the trash. Thank goodness I did not buy this expensive product.”

Jelly December 26, 2019

“Loved Rhofade. It worked the first time I used it. I have redness around my mouth/nose/chin area. Made my complexion much clearer/fairer. I almost forgot to put my makeup on! Very happy with this drug. Confused as to why I didn’t have a bad reaction like many of the other reviewers.”

Learn more about Rosacea