User Reviews for Mefloquine to treat Malaria

The following information is NOT intended to endorse any particular medication. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners.

Reviews for Mefloquine

notAfan · Taken for less than 1 month December 6, 2018

Lariam (mefloquine): "Had the worst nightmare of a snake (my absolutely worst fear) after taking Lariam. The nightmare was in vivid colour and the sounds were sharp, which made it worse. It has been over 8 years and I can still remember the sound. I had never had a nightmare like that before and haven't had one like that since. I had malaria tons of times as a child. Malaria itself comes nowhere close to having this type of nightmare! Should a drug with this kind of side effect really be on the market?"

RN · Taken for less than 1 month September 1, 2018

Lariam (mefloquine): "This drug should not be on the market and should not be distributed. There are better alternatives over this drug. The side effects of this drug are life altering. Myself and many others have experienced horrific side effects from this drug. If you have any family history or personal history of mental health conditions even minor depression - do not take this medication. There are also reports of suicidal idealisation."

Buffalo soldier · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 18, 2017

Lariam (mefloquine): "Used this for 7 months in central africa during UN-mission. We were a contingent of 150 soldiers using it. Out of the 150 soldiers using it, only a few experienced some side effects. The good thing is that you only have to take it once a week."

Mehd · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 12, 2017

Lariam (mefloquine): "I have been using Lariam for many years now but I haven't had any issues. I heard that some friends couldn't use it as they had health issues after taking it so I guess it is different from a person to a person. What I like about it, apart from protecting against malaria, is that you take just one tablet a week (Malaria day I call it). Unless you protect yourself all the time from being bitten by Mosquitoes none of the medicines out there will have 100% efficiency. Good luck!"

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month June 17, 2016

"I was prescribed to take 6 pills at once for treatment of malaria. Can't sleep, I keep having hallucinations when I close my eyes and can't focus when my eyes are open."

Mariefrance October 21, 2015

Lariam (mefloquine): "Very bad. It is one pill a day. Got anxiety, skin rash and was not hungry. Would not recommend"

Learn more about Malaria

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)