User Reviews for Malarone

Learn more about Malarone.

Malaria 1 reviews 41 medications

Malaria Prevention 17 reviews 22 medications

5.8
Summary of Malarone reviews 18 reviews 7.9

Reviews for Malarone

For Malaria Prevention "After taking the 2nd pill I developed raised red welts on my neck, shoulders and upper chest. I immediately stopped taking Malarone. The next day the raised welts were replaced by another rash where the skin was cracked, dry and felt hot to touch....like a bad burn. After a week of the new rash continuing to spread I went to the emergency room. I was immediately put on predisone and I was told if my rash continued to spread and develop blisters I would then need to seek immediate emergency medical treatment. I was endanger of developing Steven-Johnson Syndrome. It has been four weeks since I first took this drug. The rash is gone and my skin has peeled but I am now being tested systemic damage/ liver damage."

Karen8252 (taken for less than 1 month) October 3, 2016

For Malaria Prevention "I take low dose aspirin and after several days on malarone - I developed small bruises all over my extremities. I stopped taking the aspirin and the bruising cleared up."

CM46 June 29, 2016

For Malaria Prevention "Be advised that any medication can have averse reactions on anybody. My experience with Malarone was when I traveled to Cambodia for 2 weekw. It took about a day before it started but Malarone completely incapacitated me with a constant level of nausea. I could not eat nor was it worth leaving the hotel because I was weakened by it. l, too, had to discontinue its use for the entire trip, completely soaked in deet instead. It would be advisable to try malaria medicine several days before you leave for a trip to any questionable location. Ironically, in the middle of 105° F temperatures,in November, in full sleeves and pants, I never encountered a single mosquito."

eubean (taken for less than 1 month) June 17, 2016

For Malaria Prevention "When I tried Malarone around 2007, I became nauseous, stomach hurt, I could not eat at all and could not get out of the hotel. I had to stop the medication because I could not enjoy the vacation. However, in 2015 on another trip, I was given the generic version of Malarone. I felt fine during the whole stay and felt fine after the 7 days after the trip ended. While my friend, on the other hand, tried the brand name Malarone version and started to feel nauseous, swollen during the first day of the trip and had to stop. What do I encourage you to do? Please try the generic version of Malarone - Atovaquone and proguanil hydrochloride."

No Nickname already in use April 14, 2016

For Malaria Prevention "I traveled to Sierra Leone with my two-and-half year old son in 2005. He and I took Malarone. He broke out in hives that required medical attention and I experienced severe dizziness and bad dreams. I would NOT recommend this drug to anyone. We were immediately taken off Malarone and put on Daraprim which worked fine as we stayed there for six weeks and we never got sick."

Sierra Leone traveller (taken for less than 1 month) November 13, 2015

For Malaria Prevention ".Scariest drug reaction I have ever had. Started with being awakened by difficulty breathing (middle of night). took some antihistamines, and tried slow controlled breaths; then used an inhaler. Frequent urination (really frequent with some leakage!). By morning had sores in mouth from the swelling, red tissues in mouth, swollen eyelids, lips and face. Started a fever which went up to 103, Then got big leopard spots all over (why not, in Africa?) a pharmacist in our group insisted this must be anything but the Malarone because even he and his wife were taking it.!!! Don't listen to people like that, almost continued to take it. Horrible experience, quit it and did not get malaria which would have been preferable."

lilan (taken for less than 1 month) November 3, 2015

For Malaria Prevention "I would only take malarone, knowing that the FDA recently put a black box warning on mefloquine, but malarone is really messing me up. I live in Africa and will be for the next couple of years. Malarone is causing me to have horrific insomnia, some hallucinations and muscle contractions. My stomach pain I can deal with along with the back pain. The insomnia is killing me, though. I can't work, I walk around like a zombie. I'm going to take my chances with malaria. No more pills for me."

The hallucinator (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 20, 2015

For Malaria Prevention "Back pain Lethargic Pains in right leg Short of breath Sense of sadness Diarohea"

Cmcs (taken for less than 1 month) September 12, 2015

For Malaria "Highly recommend but very expensive."

lauralauretta March 27, 2015

For Malaria Prevention "This will be my third time on Malarone . Never had any side effects and even though I missed days taking it....no problems at all."

mountaintopf (taken for less than 1 month) June 24, 2014

For Malaria Prevention "I have taken Malarone on the last 6 trips to Papua New Guinea jungle area and also Liberia Africa with good results. I am very well satisfied with it as a prophylaxis and treatment also."

Hauna (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 16, 2013

For Malaria Prevention "Malarone is as safe as you can get. I have used it for 12 months without any symptom at all from the medicine or the parasite. My wife has taken it for 7 months and likewise no problem at all. The best part, while 12 colleagues have fallen and become hospitalized with the prevailing malaria in West Africa they were not taking any anti-malarial."

rettga (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 11, 2013

For Malaria Prevention "I have been taking Malarone for the past 6 weeks while in Zambia. I take it after meals in the evening. I can't say I have had any noticeable side effects at all. Whether it is effective against getting Malaria only time will tell, I am here for another 5 weeks. I also use a net, repellent, etc."

cosmic1052 December 18, 2011

For Malaria Prevention "I found that my trip was overruled by the dizziness, vertigo, insomnia, lack of appetite, and general feeling of unwellness this medication caused. I quit taking it on day 5, in order to be fully aware of myself and surroundings for the remainder of my trip."

ccjo1226 November 20, 2011

For Malaria Prevention "I used Malarone for over a year while living in West Africa and found it to be effective with the only side effect being the occasional bad dream. It would be my choice for an anti-malarial were I to return there."

Anonymous September 25, 2011

For Malaria Prevention "I used Malarone for two years in Uganda and found it to be very effective and with minimal side effects. Having used other prophylactics against malaria in other African environments long term I would recommend it for those who do not like the side effects of Lariam (mefloquine). "

cuhullan89 March 1, 2011

For Malaria Prevention "We used Malarone during our trip in Tanzania. To tell the truth, we were afraid of some bad comments about this drug. In fact, nothing happened to us. We were taking Malarone every day after our breakfast, so as to avoid an upset stomach. I think that, for malaria, Malarone is a very safe and without serious side effects."

Menia21 April 11, 2010

For Malaria Prevention "I have used Malarone for the past 3yrs, you have to take it 2 days prior to leaving the U.K. and for 5 days after returning. I find I get upset stomach and or nausea both on the 2nd day and 5 day period. When using it in Africa, I sometimes ended up with nightmares, but all round I find it is a good drug, and so far I have not contracted malaria."

malabowull December 22, 2009