User Reviews for Lysine to treat Herpes Simplex, Suppression

Also known as: L-Lysine, L-Formula

Lysine Rating Summary

9.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 5 medications used in the treatment of Herpes Simplex, Suppression.

Reviews for Lysine

maia · Taken for less than 1 month May 12, 2020

“L - Lysine helps.with post herpetic neuralgia When I have a flare up, as now with the pandemic creating a stressful environment, I take at least 2000 mg a day.”

Cat April 22, 2020

“My dentist told me about this and the second I felt the oncoming of a cold sore I started taking 1000mg of l-lysine. It did not get anywhere near as bad as they usually do and was healed up rather quickly. I will always have it as my go to.”

Kiki · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 16, 2020

“I was getting small outbreaks occasionally for herpes and would take 1000 mg of lysine every few hours for the first day. Worked very quickly. If I get open sores that are very painful I use a 40 % zinc oxide baby diaper rash cream. Provides a barrier and helps immensely with pain and helps sores dry up fast.”

boater · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 4, 2020

“I used to get cold sores about every two to three months. The receptionist at the dermatologist office (not the dermatologist) told me that lysine stopped her husband's cold sores and insisted I try it. Not having much faith in supplements, but out of desperation, I started taking it daily. It completely stopped them from occurring. I was surprised and happy. I took lysine for about a year or two and then stopped. The effect lasted for about 9 months to a year and now I get an occasional one, which I try to treat with topical lysine. I believe all our bodies are different. What works for one person may not work for another.”

BoiseMom · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 21, 2020

“Started taking L-Lysine supplement daily about a year ago (after checking with my primary care that he had no issue with my doing so). No herpes outbreaks. Stopped couple months ago, and lo and behold, currently have an outbreak. So much for my theory that maybe I did not need to take them anymore. Experiment conducted; epic fail; back to daily supplements. I use acyclovir for actual outbreaks, just as an aside.”

Faith · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 11, 2020

“Lysine is a must for anyone infected with HSV. I find that taking 1000 mg daily really helps keep the virus in check. On the rare occasion when it does activate I take Auntie Vira’s oil, several droppers daily for a few days. Taking the oil immediately shuts down the virus even if a blister has already started to form, it stops progressing and there is no outbreak. I have lived outbreak free since I learned to combine L-Lysine and Auntie Vira’s”

Kpwv · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 23, 2020

“This is a wonder drug. I used to get a herpes outbreak two to three times a year. I take one 1000 mg lysine supplement a day and haven’t had one in two years. I just got back from a tropical vacation with lots of sun and alcohol. I should have upped my dose. I got an outbreak today. Have been taking two every four hours and it’s 50% gone!”

Anazing · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 2, 2020

“Seriously lysine is phenomenal. I realized I had hsv-1 and hsv-2 at the same time. I think I somehow gave myself genital herpes from my cold sores unfortunately. I thought my life sucked and I truly got so very upset and depressed. Started with lysine. When I felt an outbreak of either coldsore or genital issue I took 2 *1000 mg tablets every couple of hours and flooded my system. No lie within 12 hours both my coldsore and other sites disappeared, no lie. I'm kinda so very changed!!! Have some hope”

Samantha December 7, 2019

“I’ve had HSV-2 for 9 years, and have an outbreak a few days before my period-so I get tingles every month. Valtrex works in days, but l-lysine works in hours. If I start getting an outbreak, I take 2000mg every 2 hours until it disappears, and follow up with valtrex the next day. L-lysine gets rid of the first sign of outbreak, as long as you overload on it. Love it, love it-especially when I’m low on valtrex.”

AUD · Taken for 10 years or more September 19, 2019

“Lysine is the go to for all things to do with skin and soft tissue. Cold Sores can be gone within two-three days by taking two 1000mg (or 2000mg for faster results) every 2 hours throughout the day - overloads your system and gets its sorted fast. Even better used with a counter cream. This works the exact same for genital ones also. If you get them at tingle phase, this can work within a matter of hours rather than days. Arginine does the opposite it feeds the virus, so always avoid foods high in arginine if you have and outbreak (eg chocolate, peanuts, almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts, flaxseeds, sesame, sunflower seeds, eggs) Works also really good for healing for cuts, ulcers or any other soft skin issues. Been using it like this for over 10 years and works an absolute charm.”

MissSweden · Taken for less than 1 month August 18, 2019

“I got my second outbreak without realizing it was herpes and at first it didn't look like it, just some hard spots that itched and turned into sores as I scratched them up and hurt a little bit. And couple of days later the blisters started appearing... and I finally realized: it's herpes. Looked up stuff online, and I went to a herbal shop the day after and got myself a bottle of Lysine. I have also been using a piece of cotton drenched in alcohol that I put in between my butt cheeks for an hour or so (not sure if this actually did anything but it was supposed to help for itching and pain). 6 hours later the blisters had gone a LOT flatter and more purple/red-ish, 12 hours after taking the pills they were almost completely flat and almost not visible plus the pain stopped for the most part. 24 hours after I took them I can barely see the blisters anymore even though I CAN feel them slightly but they're about to heal up. SO HAPPY!”

Sum yung gye · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 4, 2019

“If lysine is not effective which it was not with me...magnesium is absolutely effective and concentrated greens (powdered) such as amazing grass or any other reputable ,similar product or probably even eating dark leafy greens daily, will give you bioavailable magnesium through food. This will halt all symptoms completely. There’s no need for lab produced amino acids when food will do the trick. Concentrated greens typically contain, broccoli, kale, spinach, chorella, etc. all FOOD, just dehydrated and ground up.”

Cleatus · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 19, 2019

“Lysine is what you need for cold sores ! I used to suffer from outbreaks every 3 months or so. I used every over the counter product and cream there was. (Throw them out !) Lysine does not work over night! You need to get it into your system. Start taking 1000 mg a day and when you start to feel the tingle of an outback starting up it to 2 pills (2000) mg a day for the duration of the outbreak. It will reduce the duration and severity of your outbreak. The longer you take it the better it will work. Now I get maybe one or two that start but never outbreak fully a year !”

Jodi · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 29, 2019

“I got genital herpes from my current boyfriend at the end of January. I had a horrible, painful outbreak I couldn’t even walk or sleep at night. This lasted for 3 weeks. I read and read and read and finally came across L-Lysine. I started taking them immediately as soon as my first outbreak had ended, and ever since then I've been taking one 1,000 mg pill every single day along with a 1,000 mg pill of Vitamin C. For 2 months I did not have a single break out, up until I finished the tablets and decided to see what would happen if I didn’t take them. And look at that! A few days of not taking L-Lysine, the pain began and the itching! I immediately went to the drug store and bought another bottle and took 3 of them. A couple hours after taking them all my symptoms were gone... This stuff is literally AMAZING I highly recommend Lysine to anyone suffering from this annoying condition of herpes.”

Cdizzle · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 17, 2019

“Been taking lysine for 2 years. Noticed an increase in outbreaks (HSV2). Symptoms and itchiness were lasting a lot longer. Currently having an outbreak. Not using lysine this time and I don’t even notice I’m having an outbreak until I look at it and safely apply aquaphor to the affected area. Aquaphor is a way better home remedy.”

Leah · Taken for less than 1 month March 24, 2019

“I normally don't write reviews about something unless it really works and can possibly benefit or help others. In 2012 I was diagnosed with HSV 2 which left me devastated and confused about the possibility never being intimate with someone ever again. My doctor prescribed me Valtrex but the side effects like nausea was too much for my body to handle and I only took a pill when I felt an outbreak occurring. A friend of mine recommended lysine powder as an alternative. I recently started to have an outbreak (which if you know is the most annoying thing possible...especially for women). Took a 1/4 teaspoon of lysine powder and mixed it with a small glass of juice at 6:00 p.m., ate dinner and went to bed. At 1:30 a.m. got up and went to the bathroom and OMG I noticed the tingling and pain had subsided greatly...the outbreak was clearing up!!! I am now a 100% true believer that this works!!!”

wheatRN · Taken for 10 years or more March 1, 2019

“I am an RN and I swear by l-lysine ever since it alleviated my, then 3 yr old, daughter's constant HSV1 around her mouth and under her nose. At the time we would take 3 pills, crush them and put them in something yummy and give it to her. Her worst case took 2-3 days to heal completely. At that time her mouth was so bad that she couldn't open it and Abreva was doing NOTHING. By the first night she could open her mouth and they were crusting. By the next day they were noticeably smaller and well on their way to healing up. She is now 15 and we still use it. I tell EVERYONE to use it.”

Cares · Taken for less than 1 month December 23, 2018

“I took this first day of outbreak along with Coconut Supplement, Green superfoods Powder from GNC. My outbreak immediately began to heal. Increase the healing time by 50%. I also used a Cool Setting on blow dryer on the sore on my face to dry out the pus. Did this about 2 minutes 5 times a day to help make the sore heal faster. Not recommended to put anything directly on the store because it will just irritate it more. Better to win the battle from the inside.”

fireboxchaser December 5, 2018

“I have had cold sores since I was a teenager firstly on my face and then my first outbreak on my genitals when still not sexually active (self inoculation). Since then stress or being run down will have me with an outbreak. I finally got fed up a few years ago with all the pain and the stares if I went out and did some research. I found Lysine! As far as I am concerned it is a miracle. As soon as I feel tingling of an outbreak I take 2000mg twice a day and it has all but disappeared within 48 hours! There is residual redness but blisters don't form or if they do its usually just one small one which withers away on its own. Lysine is now a constant in my medicine cupboard.”

CandieDragonfly · Taken for 10 years or more October 26, 2018

“Unlike one comment on here saying everyone on here is from a drug company is wrong. I am a stay at home mom and wife. I got cold sores when I was 7 and get them 3x a year. I hate getting these as people who see it stare like you are a nasty person. It's embarrassing. I got tired of it and looked at what others did to help. I came across a post where someone had said they took 3000mg at first sign of a outbreak and had excellent results. I figured what the hell I have nothing to lose. Sure enough I took Lysine at the first sign of my cold sore and the bump and tingling were gone within 24 hours. This stuff is a miracle drug. Something that would last for 14 days barely shows at all. Trust me nothing works better.”

Md October 19, 2018

“Most effective suppressant for herpes. I take 2000 mg per day. 1000mg in morning and 1000mg at night. Previously 6 month I had been having harsher breakouts and now only every 12-18 months and less severe. Use valtrex on top when breakout imminent.”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 26, 2018

“After many attempts at using other method, this seems to reduce healing time by a large margin, and sometimes stop the outbreak”

moon_nev September 25, 2018

“I was sexually assaulted last Nov and found out I was infected with herpes simplex 2 I just had my first outbreak a few days ago. Ashamed, scared, in pain I did reading and heard about l-lysine. I just shook my head knowing nothing was gonna work and can't afford the medicine from the doctor. I bit the bullet yesterday and bought L-lysine and took it ASAP 1,000mg. I'm sitting here right now writing this and feel no pain. I'm shocked. I will be taking this product from now on. That monster took my confidence and freedom, but I know I'm gonna slowly get it back.”

CMK August 6, 2018

“I read these posts and wished to share my experience using L-Lysine since 1975. When first "infected" with genital herpes, no one seemed to know much about this virus. I followed a good path that mostly kept me outbreak free. I never passed herpes on to anyone else. (A blessing!) Over the decades, I found increasing my level of L-Lysine up to 3,000 mg from my initial daily dose of 500 mg kept the herpes at bay. No outbreak for 15 years. Emotional stress, not enough sleep and/or not eating properly is why I ever had any outbreaks. My outbreaks a year occurred during some rough patches of my life rather than having herpes outbreaks continuously over the years. Good mates and healthy, happy lives make a huge difference for many folks with herpes. Diet matters! Chocolate, nuts, egg and other foods do "counteract" the L-lysine you take, so you need to keep those at a moderate intake. It has never caused me any problems. ”

Oral herpes for 20 years · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 15, 2018

“I don't usually do "alternative meds" and am very critical of "miracle drugs". However for lysine I will really recommend it. I have tried all the traditional prescription ointments, but honestly I never felt they made a difference so I stopped using them. My doc never wanted to prescribe pills due to the side effects. I have 2-4 outbreaks a year (oral herpes) and discovered lysine around 5 years ago. And was amazed. Nothing else I have tried has ever had ANY effect on my herpes. Nothing until lysine. I would not call it a miracle cure - it's not. But it really makes a difference. I don't take lysine preventatively. Only when I feel an outbreak starting. Then I take a tablespoon of powdered lysine dissolved in water twice a day. It once completely prevented a severe outbreak. Upper lip was all swollen but then simply went back to normal without blistering. Usually though lysine just slows development and the blisters are smaller once they form. I highly recommend this.”