User Reviews for Icosapent

Hypertriglyceridemia 6.4
Cardiovascular Risk Reduction 5.3

Reviews for Icosapent

titi · Taken for less than 1 month January 13, 2021

Vascepa (icosapent) for Cardiovascular Risk Reduction: “I'm taking vascepa to lower levels of triglycerides, 2 milligrams a day, after a few days develop small rash in face and also swelling under my big toes. I called cardiologist said it's not gout ,but recommended I stopped taking it and consult with primary doctor. So now I have a six month supply that I paid $308 for it and it might be useless to me. Mind you that's with insurance without insurance $1,174 not cheap. As yo can imagine not happy about the situation.”

Not Happy with this medication · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 23, 2020

Vascepa (icosapent) for Hypertriglyceridemia: “Noticed severe restless leg syndrome after starting Vascepa, something I never had before (other than when pregnant) and since this was the only new medication (I'm only on a blood pressure lowering drug otherwise) I knew it was from Vascepa. Also problems as others mentioned such as heart beating faster, severe gastrointestinal issues, joint pain and heart burn. Other issues I had were hair loss and my nails started to crack and virtually stop growing and my skin aged quickly. I tried Vascepa for around 9 months at half dose (2 a day instead of 4). I wonder how bad my situation would have been at full dose! Since stopping, virtually all symptoms went away, even nail issue. Hoping my hair will return. Would NOT recommend this drug. Also, did very little to lower triglycerides, only about 20 points.”

Yelena · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 5, 2020

Vascepa (icosapent) for Hypertriglyceridemia: “Average no 140/ 60, after a Vascepa 168/70 with 3 meds for hbp.”

Skinhole · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 17, 2020

Vascepa (icosapent) for Hypertriglyceridemia: “Spend $3800 per month for Otezla to keep control of psoriasis and then take Vascepa and flush that $3800 as your psoriasis flares worse than ever. Great for triglycerides, real bad for psoriasis.”

Margie · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 7, 2020

Vascepa (icosapent) for Hypertriglyceridemia: “Took Vascepa for 3 months. Had blood work done before starting and after 3 months. My triglycerides dropped 4 points. It's not working so I'm going to stop it and save $200 a month. No side effects.”

Wendy · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 5, 2020

Vascepa (icosapent) for Hypertriglyceridemia: “My Cardiologist put me on this after I had 3 stents put in. My recent bloodwork showed triglycerides in the high 200’s. In the two years I have taken Vascepa I have gained about 40 pounds. And NOW the muscle and joint pain. It was excruciating! It would wake me up at night - hips, ankles, shoulders - a different area every night. I had started at four a day - then I discovered it gave me terrible bad breath to the point people backed away from me. So I cut back to two at night. Two years on this med an in the beginning joint pain was never mentioned as a side effect, now they are mentioning it on the website. I stopped taking it 3 nights ago. The joint and muscle pain has almost completely subsided. I feel much better and have energy for the first time in a very long time.”

jb · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 4, 2020

Vascepa (icosapent) for Hypertriglyceridemia: “After 2 months of Vascepa 2 caps twice daily had an occurrence of gout which I didn't associate with Vascepa usage. Also, developed a progressive problem with shortness of breath which started mildly which grew severe. Decided to review Vascepa side effects since it was the only drug added to my normal regime of meds. Appears "gouty arthritis" and SOB is listed as a patient side effect. I've discontinued use. The plasma 1/2 life of Vascepa is 89 hours so it remains in the blood extremely long and is not excreted thru the kidneys. Vascepa may have helped my high triglycerides, I will never know since side effects outweigh possible benefits”

KMW · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 27, 2020

Vascepa (icosapent) for Cardiovascular Risk Reduction: “After having to do some back and forth with my insurance company, they finally approved Vascepa because I couldn't afford it otherwise. I've been taking just 2 pills once a day for about 6-7 weeks. I had blood work done in July and then again a couple weeks ago and my triglycerides have dropped from 245-179. I don't remember the last time my number was that low. I don't have any other side effects, good or bad, but I'm glad my numbers are dropping. This may help me get off 2 other meds I'm on.”

LL · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 25, 2020

Vascepa (icosapent) for Hypertriglyceridemia: “I was started on vascepa to help high triglycerides and to raise HDL. Was not consistently taking them. Twice a day because they were big pills and one time I had a mild bad fish taste. Had been on them for about 3 months and noticed heart irregularity, lightheaded for brief moments. Wore a monitor and it showed SVT, PAT,s and poss short bout of A-Fib . Mentioned to my cardiologist that my newest med was vascepa but he did not think anything of it. So. Two ER visits later, I looked vascepa up and saw that a small percentage of patients had these side effects. I stopped taking them on my own and messaged my doctor that I stopped. I now am taking metoprolol small dose. My question is. Will these heart symptoms go away or is this now a permanent problem.”

M · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 6, 2020

Vascepa (icosapent) for Hypertriglyceridemia: “I have always had high triglycerides on annual physicals. IMMEDIATELY lowered after taking Vascepa, without changing diet. Have before and after blood tests. I've been on for about 5 months with no side effects. I also take 10mg atorvastatin, which I've been on for 15 years.”

kingfish · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 11, 2020

Vascepa (icosapent) for Hypertriglyceridemia: “My triglycerides were at 950! My cholesterol numbers were unreadable due to my high triglyceride level. I was placed on Vascepa and within a few months, the number dropped to 300 with little/no lifestyle changes. A few months later, with a few very small lifestyle adjustments, combined with Vascepa, brought my triglycerides down to 149. My cholesterol levels are in the healthy range, as well. I've had no side effects.”

Freddie · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 8, 2020

Vascepa (icosapent) for Hypertriglyceridemia: “After 4 months my cholesterol has lowered some, but my blood pressure average has dropped dramatically. I was averaging 150 over 90, and now I'm averaging 123 over 74? I have 5 stents, double by pass and have had heart failure, and a heart attack. I'm happy no side effects!”

Green mountain boy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 26, 2020

Vascepa (icosapent) for Cardiovascular Risk Reduction: “I've been on Vascepa for a year, no side effects, no aches and pains, mind is clearer. The only thing I don't like is the size of the pill.”

DM April 2, 2020

Vascepa (icosapent) for Hypertriglyceridemia: “I’ve only been on Vascepa for about two weeks. My doctor put me on it for elevated cholesterol and triglycerides. I have no idea how it’s impacted my blood levels because I haven’t had a blood test done since I’ve been in it but what I can say is I have experienced pretty much every GI side effect connected to this drug. Started with terrible diarrhea and bloating and progressed too bad constipation and stomach pain. On a positive note I have noticed an increase in energy levels and my mood is lifted but I stopped the medication today because the GI side effects are too much.”

Allergic to statins · Taken for less than 1 month February 15, 2020

Vascepa (icosapent) for Cardiovascular Risk Reduction: “I am taking 2-1 gm Vascepa and 2- 90mg Brillinta together after having stents put in two of the arteries coming off my LAD. I started out with just one 1 gm Vascepa per day and then graduated to 2 on advice of my pharmacist. I have irritable bowel and with taking 2 Vascepa now it seems to be aggravating this condition.”

Steven · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 25, 2020

Vascepa (icosapent) for Cardiovascular Risk Reduction: “Have Aortic Stenosis and a 138 score Triglycerides BEFORE taking Vecepa. I took Vecepa to lower my score under 100. LOLOL in 6 months my score was "198" . Sought out other reviews. After reading these reviews, I feel Vecepa will NOT help me meet any beneficial goals.”

Kev81Dude · Taken for less than 1 month January 25, 2020

Vascepa (icosapent) for Hypertriglyceridemia: “I have critically high triglycerides of 2700 just started this along with crestor. I have been on it now for 2 weeks and I can say I feel amazing. I have bilateral osteonecrosis of the hips so this medication is not effecting me at all . I actually feel more energized , I have also made a diet change to a more organic vegetable food source . My triglycerides being high is actually hereditary for me ,not from poor diet as I don’t eat fried food or junk foods , I’m hoping that medication can bring my level down as Crestor alone brought it down from 3200 to 2700 .So far I’m very happy with the medication.My only complaint is the actual cost ,it’s way to high for most people to be on this medication.”

B.Mur · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 1, 2020

Vascepa (icosapent) for Hypertriglyceridemia: “Have naturally high triglycerids at peaked at 650, my brother told me about this drug and I had my Dr put me on it. My bloodwork 1 month later came out 160. I had another test 3 months later and it was up to 180. Waiting for most recent test. No side effects”

Robert 2 · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 29, 2019

Vascepa (icosapent) for Hypertriglyceridemia: “I was taken off Lipitor and placed on 4 (2x a day) Vascepta. I know all the details in 3 of my bathrooms after getting up 4~5 X a night and have the 'urge to purge'. I felt like having a bowel movement, BUT, I just end up w/fissures. I I currently have a carbuncle on my butt. Nothing but liquid[s] come out for a few secs. and then [if it does] it's not 'firm'. I go back to bed and need to 'go again' 2 hrs. later. I have also 'lost it' before getting to the bathroom. Going back to Lipitor”

suzyQ · Taken for less than 1 month November 6, 2019

Vascepa (icosapent) for Hypertriglyceridemia: “I took Vascepa for two and 1/2 weeks. I developed severe hip and leg pain. It got to the point that I couldn't put any weight on one leg. I stopped Vascepa immediately when I figured out that it was the culprit. I'm praying that those side effects go away quickly.”

MountainviewAve · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 29, 2019

Vascepa (icosapent) for Hypertriglyceridemia: “After taking Vascepa or two months I have developed side effects of severe bilateral hip pain, buttock and leg pain. Sometimes it’s so bad I feel like crying. I stopped taking it about a week ago and the pain might be slightly better. I’m hoping it will go back to normal. I’ll be discussing this with my Dr. in a couple of weeks.”

Susie · Taken for less than 1 month October 25, 2019

Vascepa (icosapent) for Hypertriglyceridemia: “Was very excited to start this medication Vascepa due to high triglycerides. The coupon for savings wouldn't work with two pharmacies, the company was saying their rates changed. I couldn't control that or the terrible diarrhea and intestinal problems that followed. If you can't leave the bathroom it's hard to work. Maybe too much of a good thing. I would not recommend this medication.”

John · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 8, 2019

Vascepa (icosapent) for Hypertriglyceridemia: “After going on Vescepa for high triglycerides, I noticed a change in weight, and my energy levels, for the better. I sweat a lot more than usual, but drank plenty of water, no sodas or junk food, and adequate amount of exercise. I lost 10 lbs and felt very conditioned. Before I didn't have much energy but after taking these pills twice in the morning and twice in the afternoon and making a lifestyle change, I felt awesome. My blood flow was great, and for me, this pill also worked as an anti inflammatory. I know meds react differently, with different people, but I had great results, again , also with change of diet and exercise. That's the only way any med will work.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 4, 2019

Vascepa (icosapent) for Hypertriglyceridemia: “Lowered triglycerides and plaque. No side effects.”

barry · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 28, 2019

Vascepa (icosapent) for Hypertriglyceridemia: “Vascepa Raised my wife's liver enzymes through the roof !”