User Reviews for Mucinex D

Learn more about Mucinex D.

Mucinex D Rating Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 410 medications used in the treatment of Cough and Nasal Congestion.

Reviews for Mucinex D to treat Cough and Nasal Congestion

"I disagree with the other reviews, two doses and I'm feeling a bit better with the antibiotics. Only downfall so far. Nausea!"

Bobbie Jo, RMA (taken for less than 1 month) September 20, 2016

"Took this with food. Made me feel very lethargic and jittery at the same time. My appetite is gone. My congestion is cleared but I can't wait for this medication to wear off. My heart rate speeds up as well. Dry mouth, yuck."

Amber2885 September 20, 2016

"Took this for relief as I looked and sounded pretty bad. I was keeping everyone up with my coughing and sneezing. I don't take medicine but I caved in and grabbed this. I guess from hours of exhaustion I passed out but woke up 2 hours later just wide awake! I couldn't go back to sleep, which made me so incredibly mad. I'm already an anxious person who is paranoid about everything. So this didn't help. It helped my cough calm down but the next day it was worse. I was able to sleep without feeling like my nose was plugged up!"

Anonymous September 18, 2016

"I tend to get a sinus infection at least twice a year. The only thing that helps me during this time is Musinex D. However, after the first time taking it and not being able to sleep I decided to take one pill every 6 hours instead of 2 pills every 12. Taking it this way allows me to breath and still be able to sleep at night. For me it is a miracle worker."

Liz77 September 9, 2016

"Can't help but laugh reading everyone's responses here.. Yes I guess the mucinex helped my congestion maybe 20% more than if I hadn't taken it... BUT I'm wide awake as my mind is racing like I'm on crack .. Paranoid.. Can't sleep a wink. Never done crack but if I had to guess side effects would be similar.. Bummer . Just another confirmation that all natural and a few days longer is better than watching the sun come up while random paranoia thoughts race through the brain. Wish I read the fine print before I starting dosing"

Clarence j August 24, 2016

"Definitely helped relieve my sinus pressure and loosen up mucous. I did feel nauseous after taking mucinex D. It's 2:18am and I'm still up so I decided to google insomnia and mucinex D.. And here I am. At least my congestion improved."

Vanessa v93 (taken for less than 1 month) July 24, 2016

" I think I much like the other people on this site who are up at 4 am still trying to go to sleep. It didn't help my cough at all. It actually made it worse. I've had really bad anxiety all night and probably won't sleep for the next 5 days."

Don't take it (taken for less than 1 month) July 15, 2016

"Awful as I'm writing this. Its 1:30 am and I am up, and I can't sleep, and it made me cough so much more!!! I have a baby and now that I can't sleep because of this medicine I'm going to be miserable tomorrow!! I Don't recommended to anyone!"

Babyboymilan June 24, 2016

"Took my first dose Mucinex D at 1030am yesterday took a small nap around 1230 for about half hour and have been awake since its now 8am the next day, yes I finally feel relief in my sinuses, I no longer look like a puffy faced Darth Vader sounded and its cleaning up a ton of congestion but sleeping is not in my favor.. ugh but I'm glad it's clearing things up for me.. just need some sleep"

Heidikins (taken for less than 1 month) June 15, 2016

"Musinex D worked great to clear up my chest congestion that two rounds of antibiotics didn't touch. But I didn't know that a side effect was insomnia. So, although I started feeling better soon after taking it last night, I was well aware of how good I was feeling right on up to 3am! I asked the pharmacist at our local store if Musinex D could have caused the insomnia, and she said yes, and not to take it at night."

EvannnaM April 29, 2016

"It dehydrates you like crazy and I could not drink enough liquids. My throat got so dry it caused me to cough uncontrollably. For the past 3 nights I could not sleep... Even took 10mg of Ambien which usually knocks me out cold.... But it didn't work. I just found this site and learned that my insomnia is caused by mucinex d. Not worth the lack of sleep!"

Helped clear sinuses but.... March 31, 2016

"I am up in the middle of the night wondering why still awake after 3 hours. In reference to the majority of mucinexdm users i now see why. My heart speeding up then slowing down suddenly was very noticable. Dang it!"

Want to sleep guy March 30, 2016

"I took mucinex d before bed because by sinuses were congested and I could feel mucus in my lungs making it hard to breathe. Shortly after taking the medication everything loosened up, my nose ran but I could breathe. Unfortunately it's now 6am and I haven't slept a wink and have had a rapid heart rate and anxiety. I have a headache and am too jittery to sleep. I did feel slight nauseous after I took the pill and very dry mouth now."

Kmac715 February 29, 2016

" It got rid of my cough but then made my nose run like crazy. Allergy symptoms while suffering from flu is a terrible combination. I am angry that my husband bought me this stuff instead of what I asked for. It kept me up all night and is making me irritable."

Amélie54 February 15, 2016

"Awful. Yes this medication did clear up my cough, BUT the side effects were awful! I was extremely jittery, lethargic, anxious, and then became nauseous as well. I would not take this medication again."

KCM18 February 14, 2016

"Totally worthless. Made my cough way worse. Every time I fall asleep I wake up coughing and choking. Wish it wear off faster than 12 hours!"

Hinst February 13, 2016

"Loosened phlegm but makes you feel VERY dizzy, drowzy, and dehydrated."

Blackbird1391 January 30, 2016

"Made my cough worst."

Nancyb29 January 18, 2016

"Please, if you`re going to try and treat a cold then go the natural route ! I learned the hard way. I`ve been sick with sore throat and nasal congestion since Tuesday-Wednesday and finally I asked my mom to go out and get medicine. My Mom went out and brought me Children`s Mucinex and after taking 2 doses [I`m 18 years old and 2 doses of the children's medicine is equivalent to the original] I lost all senses of smell and it wasn't worth it at all. I regret taking Mucinex and I googled this symptom and the people who has had this problem still has yet to gain there sense of smell back. I'm so afraid. On top of that I feel no real relief, just more pressure on my breathing."

Cee Lanai January 1, 2016

"So I woke up coughing really bad lastnight and I had some mucinex dm night time. I took that to help me loosen up whatever was in my system. About 5-10 mind later I had this terrible terrible urge to throw up. This stuff does not settle in my stomach at all. This is the 3rd time I've tried it within a 2 month span. Everytime I feel worse. I'm just going to get rid of it. Not for everyone..."

Anonymous December 27, 2015

"Took Sudafed today and decided to try Mucinex D tonight for the congestion medicine in it. My sinuses are feeling less pressure but it's 2:00 am and I haven't slept a wink and the way my heart is racing I doubt I will. This should definitely be a daytime only medication."

Golfteam8 (taken for less than 1 month) December 20, 2015

"My mom caught the cold I have just beaten and it affected her much worse. After consulting a doctor/friend she recommended trying Mucinex 12 hour. At around 7 PM, she took to 600 mg tablets. She reported being awake all night with heart palpitations, jitters, and a pounding headache. She also threw up in the middle the night and feels nauseous again this morning. The cough is coming back as the Mucinex wears off. The drug worked to stop the coughing but the side effects can be hard on some."

The Keys (taken for less than 1 month) December 15, 2015

"I took 2 pills at 3:00pm and fell asleep just woke up at 10:00pm. I still have a fever and coughing intensely. Did not work for me at all."

Chadillac December 12, 2015

"Took it yesterday and cleared me right up. I got really sleepy in the afternoon. But when I tried to take a nap, I couldn't. Went to bed taking a pm med (not mucinex) and woke up several times during the night. Didn't think anything of it until I took it today. I felt Euphoric and jittery at the same time. I was majorly thirsty. I downed 3 bottles of water in a row. I had the energy to clean the house a bit. I was roasting in just a t shirt. I took the medicine at 10am. Now here it is 7:30 and still feeling jittery. Less than before but still jittery. I also didn't eat all day other than the food I had with the mucinex in the morning. It seems food tastes weird. Seems the side effects were worse than having congestion alone."

DanielleS December 5, 2015

"It helped with the runny nose and cough, but I think the side effects made it not worth taking. The first hour was the immediate release and it made me feel nervous, anxious, dizzy, nauseous, and I had awful tremors. After the first hour I come down a bit and didn't feel as awful. Couldn't get any sleep on it and being a mom of a one year old boy I definitely need my sleep. I won't be taking it again. Going to go back to DayQuil, NyQuil, cough drops... Not for everyone."

Nnnndndnd November 12, 2015