User Reviews for Mucinex D to treat Cough and Nasal Congestion

Mucinex D Rating Summary

6.4/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 288 medications used in the treatment of Cough and Nasal Congestion.

Reviews for Mucinex D

"Used Mucinex D. Followed the directions and six days later I was admitted to the hospital. My pulse was at 171. The first doctor wanted to stop and restart my heart! I am a healthy, active female with none of the medical conditions listed on the DO NOT TAKE list on the Mucinex D box. Medical bills are over $5,000 so far. Not including the Stress Test and time off from work. Don’t gamble with your heart, stay away from Mucinex D."

Saint (taken for less than 1 month) April 6, 2019

"Calmed that annoying every 30 second cough buttttttt I barely slept a wink! I'm really happy to have relief from the cough so I can't complain to much. No jitters or anxiety - but I'm up at 5 am googling 'does mucinex DM keep u awake" lol it does absolutely keep you up it is the pseudoephedrine ingredient . I wouldn’t recommend the nightly dosage if you want to to sleep at all just in the morning. Had a quite a few hot flashes as well. Kept wanting to turn the airconditioner down lower than ever?"

Mandy (taken for less than 1 month) April 6, 2019

"Take this drug only in the morning and for sleep take a night time cold medicine. The Mucinex D works great and makes you feel more awake"

Jewels (taken for 10 years or more) April 2, 2019

"I took this for some relief of nasal and chest congestion. Let me warn you do not take it, as within a half hour my heart was racing and I was jittery and anxious. On top of it it made me sick to my stomach and I feel like someone is sitting in my chest. I can’t quench my thirst. No matter how much water I drink. I hope this feeling doesn’t last the entire 12 hours. This is horrible. I will never take this again and this should be removed from the market"

C March 16, 2019

"I struggled with cough and congestion for two weeks which turned into a sinus infection. I finally bit the bullet and bought Mucinex D. Within an hour of taking it, my symptoms were manageable. The sinus pressure and pressure in my ears was still there, but decreased, and my headache was almost gone. Every person will react differently to Pseudoephedrine. I’m fortunate enough to not be affected by the unpleasant side effects. I slept like a baby for the first time in weeks (10 hours after taking it at 5pm.) If you do not know how it will affect you, take it in the morning. The price was not much different than the Mucinex you can grab off the shelf. $13.00 for 18 tabs. Well worth it in my opinion. I swear by this stuff and will definitely use it in the future even though it’s a bit of a hassle to get your hands on. The pharmacy keeps it locked behind the counter and you must ask for it and present your ID."

Lynn (taken for less than 1 month) January 8, 2019

"After being diagnosed with Bronchitis I took the prescribed dose of 1200mg at 11:30 it is AM, it’s now 3:07 am the next day and I am still not able to go to sleep! Thank God I did not take it every 12 hours as recommended I would be going crazy like the other reviews! So nervous about if I will be falling asleep at work or still wide awake in a few hours. NO REST in sight. I guess it is the pseudoephedrine in it that is keeping me awake."

J2019 (taken for less than 1 month) January 7, 2019

"I bought this medicine today, been suffering with sinusitis, it cleared my nose after 1 dose about 5:00 it's now 10:00 p.m. and can't keep my eyes open so I'm having absolutely no issues of being hyper nor the ability to fall asleep. Great product so far. Good night! Good luck to all trying to fight sinus issues, I really understand the misery, whether it's this product or something else I hope you find relief."

Theresa (taken for less than 1 month) December 1, 2018

"I have an insanely bad cold and my sinuses are so stopped up I took this thinking it would bring me some relief. It sure did, along with anxiety and feeling like I was cracked out of my mind !!!! Now I’m sitting here at 12AM reading everyone else’s reviews when I have to go back to work tomorrow after 2 days off ... ugh. No one told me the pseudoephedrine would make me so wired!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 26, 2018

"This drug works wonders. Clears me right up and loosens my mucus so that I’m feeling myself by the end of the week and back to normal instead of feeling the absolute same( if not worse) and trying to book a last minute apt. with my physician. For any of you who expect to feel normal in just a few short hours and want to sleep like a baby after taking it at 9pm, you’re being unrealistic. Read up on the drugs you take before putting them into your body - the pseudoepedrine will keep you awake so take it in the morning."

Kelbe (taken for less than 1 month) October 15, 2018

"I took Mucinex D last night because of slight congestion. It’s currently 4 am and I have the PSAT in 4 hours. I’m wide awake with my heart pounding and ears rushing. Thought it was the the worst case of test taking anxiety I’ve had but alas, it was the Mucinex ( the pseudoephedrine part). I do NOT recommend this for night use."

ThanksMucinex October 10, 2018

"I took this medicine at 8 pm hoping I would go to sleep normally and just feel better in the morning. Here I am at 1:36 am WIDE AWAKE with 0 sleep and 0 sleepiness which is super frustrating since I have a whole day of work starting at 8:30 am. I didn't know the pseudoephedrine ingredient was so potent at keeping you awake your sleep, if I had known I would have definitely not taken this. My heart is racing and I just feel really anxious, I’m hoping this feeling will go away soon as I’m getting worried."

AG September 19, 2018

"I wish people would stop posting “Stay away from this.” It all depends on the person, your symptoms and if it’s worth it. Yes- the Pseudoephedrine will keep you up. It’s a stimulant and it’s the reason you have to sign for this drug...because it falls into a amphetamine class. For me, it’s been great. I had horrible sinus pressure around my nose that was making my teeth, jaw and head hurt. I’m fairly certain this drug is helping with that and it was painful! Now it’s only a little twingy. It’s also helped to reduce my runny nose to a trickle and not a faucet. It’s been worth it for me. It’s important to educate yourself about drugs so you know when is the best time to take it, and you don’t want to take this at night unless you’re so miserable that you won’t mind not sleeping to feel better."

Heather (taken for less than 1 month) September 18, 2018

"Well, since I’m writing this at 4:36 am, then you will know why. I took the first pill at 4pm when I bought it. I haven’t noticed much difference in my cough or mucous but I CAN NOT SLEEP. I'm not even close to tired. My kids will be waking up in a few hours. How in the world will I function through tomorrow? Never ever again. I do not recommend the pseodoephdrine keeps you awake. Your body does it’s best healing while you’re sleeping. Well...."

Nova (taken for less than 1 month) September 3, 2018

"All I do is simply plan taking this in relation to my sleep routine. I take it in the morning and then that way it has no effect on my sleep and it gives me the entire day to expel whatever needs to come out."

Chace’s dad (taken for less than 1 month) July 12, 2018

"This is going into the trash. I took this at 4pm. It cleared my nose but my cough is still out of control. I took my nightly melatonin at around 10:30pm and went right to sleep. It’s now almost 4am. I’ve been up for two hours and will probably be up until I have to get to the gym and work in a couple of hours. Avoid this stuff, the pseudoephedrine keeps you awake."

Shirley (taken for less than 1 month) April 2, 2018

"Well, like practically every other user here, I am up staring at the walls ! I’m sick I had just needed good nights sleep but that’s not happening on this medication !!! You will NOT be able to get any sleep at all due to the pseudoephedrine ! Most of us can’t afford to donate a nights sleep take a cold medication . It’s pricey and the side effects are beyond ridiculous ! However I don’t care how much I paid for tomorrow it’s going in the trash !! I just want to sleep but it’s nowhere in sight !!!!"

Re (taken for less than 1 month) March 3, 2018

"Terrible product! Won't buy it ever again. I took it at 9 p.m. Unfortunately without checking the side effects. My cough is somehow got better but it's 2 a.m. and I'm still anxiously awake! I have a toddler, I can't afford to stay awake when he is finally asleep. Don't buy it! Not worth it!"

Csandi February 6, 2018

"I was starting to feel like a head and sinus condition coming on and with our tropical vacay coming up in 10 days, I for sure wanted to kick it in the butt. Well, I took my first dose this evening at 9 pm, went to bed because of an early work schedule and slept soundly till 11:30 pm. It is now 2:30 am and I have experienced rapid heart beat, nausea and jittery. I laid there for 2 hrs thinking I could go back to sleep, and here I am. Kinda wished the pharmacist would have given me a heads up. Now this is kickin me in the butt!"

IAawake February 2, 2018

"Mucinex D does its' job well but the side effects are ridiculous. I've been sleep deprived for 2 days because of this drug, and so I stopped taking it. DO NOT TAKE THIS DRUG WITHIN 12 HOURS BEFORE YOU SLEEP!"

Jonnyboy777 February 1, 2018

"I’m not coughing!! I think this will keep my sinuses from getting infected. I’m going to take NyQuil Cough at night as this seems to keep people awake. I don’t loathe price, but if it can clear me up and get me past the drainage and cough..."

Helped January 31, 2018

"This is my second day taking Mucinex for a bad cold. It’s not worth it! It has cleared my nose and throat completely but I CANNOT GET ANY SLEEP! Which is the pseudoephedrine side effect. I feel more miserable not being able to sleep than I did with the cold! On top of that my heart has been racing for hours and I started to get very anxious and nervous. I took this yesterday at 6pm, it’s now 3am and I’m wide awake. Never again!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 28, 2018

"I took it at about 5 pm today when my cough was getting worse. It is now 5:30 am and I haven't slept one bit. I am so jittery, nauseous, and dizzy. My heart is racing and my whole body is shaking. My cough is significantly better but the fact that I will not be getting sleep tonight for even a minute is quite the turn off. I will never take this drug again."

Julzuk January 22, 2018

"Took one pill at 8pm. It’s now 3:32am and my Apple Watch just calculated a 116bpm heart rate. I’m also coughing so hard my rib is twinging. I think this drug is a hit or miss... my husband who took it is sound asleep next to me."

Ash Houston (taken for less than 1 month) January 7, 2018

"I confess that the price on this one gave me a bit of sticker shock. But after two days of little sleep with a stuffy nose from a cold...well, desperate times. The pills are large - something to take into consideration - but these work AMAZINGLY well! The presence of pseudoephedrine makes these difficult to find; you can't order them online and you have to show a license to get your hands on them in the store. But they're worth the trouble. The first night I took them I slept all night. It did give me heart palpitations, due to the pseudoephedrine, a stimulant, but in my case that's a side effect I was willing to live with. I hate to spend money (these cost us $32) but the great results made me a believer in this case!"

Erin_C_MA January 5, 2018

"I took one around 7:30 at night and I’ve probably slept a few hours. I already have bad anxiety and a panic disorder so this just pushed my anxiety through the roof. My nose feels so much better but having this feeling is not worth it at all. I have the jitters, heart racing, and almost full panic attack. For other with this problem I don’t recommend taking it at night and just be super cautious during the day. I’ll be staring at the wall for the next couple hours waiting for this to pass."

So much anxiety (taken for less than 1 month) December 30, 2017