User Reviews for Glatiramer to treat Multiple Sclerosis

Also known as: Copaxone, Glatopa

Glatiramer has an average rating of 7.4 out of 10 from a total of 127 ratings for the treatment of Multiple Sclerosis. 65% of those users who reviewed Glatiramer reported a positive effect, while 17% reported a negative effect.

Glatiramer Rating Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 94 medications used in the treatment of Multiple Sclerosis.

32% 41
2% 3
9% 12

Reviews for Glatiramer

jmb70 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 18, 2021

Copaxone (glatiramer): “I had tried Copaxone after Avonex (which had caused horrific headaches 5 out of 7 days of the week) and after 2 months on the medication I had two horrible reactions 2 out of 3 days. Same symptoms, second time sent me to the Emergency Room. I really thought I was having a heart attack. Freezing/Chills for hours, severe shaking, heart palpitations, - I thought I was the end of me. Neurologist said those symptoms are rare, but twice in 3 days was a bit much. Not to mention the daily injections and the pain after the injections in my legs and stomach. Switched to Rebif. Was on that for 7 years and have been off all medications for over a year. MS symptoms getting worse but the side effects of all the newer medications make me question whether it is worse to take them or just naturally worsen. I know that is sad, but I have young children and don't want to develop PML. I wish they would come out with medications that don't have a laundry list of side effects.”

Daphster · Taken for 10 years or more January 24, 2021

“I was diagnosed with MS in 2008. I researched Copaxone. It was the best choice with minor side effects for me. I run 3 miles 4 to 5 days a week. My MD Doctor is pleased with my stability and write dispense as written. As of this refill my Insurance said I have to change to a generic. My system does not do well with medication in general so when we found Copaxone it was a God send.I have several phone calls to make because I don't want to switch and will fight like heck to stay on Copaxone.”

Lia September 25, 2020

“Cigna tried to switch me to the generic of Copaxone and I fought it. I appealed it with detailed information of hospital stays and serious side effects with other oral meds I had tried, and Cigna approved my request for Copaxone. I do not tolerate generic medications well, and am 66 with initial diagnosis after age 50. There is no demographic information of the effect of the generic of Copaxone on senior adults who use it so I did not want to switch. Also if the generic was the same thing it would be called Copaxone. Generic drugs are allowed a 10% 'swing' in the filler/s added to the actual medication and that is where the problems usually come from. Generic is 'mostly' the same/similar but not the exact same medication as Copaxone.”

MaggieMayTB · Taken for 10 years or more March 7, 2020

Copaxone (glatiramer): “Dx w/ MS 9/26/2006 at age 43. I started using Copaxone on 10/11/2006. At the time I started using Copaxone, it was a daily injection. I now use the 40mg / 3x a week injection. I am proud to report I have never missed an injection ***100% compliance *** ! I work 60hrs a week and as long Copaxone is available I will never change. No pills or infusion. I hate needles so the auto-inject is a life saver. MS sucks but I feel I am on the right path.”

Kari51 · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 3, 2020

“I was on Copaxone for three years until Cigna switched me to Glatopa. I was fine with both just some injection site redness and swelling. Two months ago I was forced to switch to Glatiramer Acetate. Out of nowhere I went into anaphylactic shock right after my injection. My doctor believes it was because it was a generic. I have a very mild case and the remaining drug choices have so many bad side effects. Just make sure you consider all the side effects. They say they are rare but it does happen. I almost died and considering taking a break from these drugs.”

JustmewithMS · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 3, 2019

Glatopa (glatiramer): “I was diagnosed with MS in 2014 started Copaxone in 2015...40mg 3x/wk..it was hard to get used to injections but I got used to it after about a year and I was at the point where I could just take a shot manually in the stomach or by the injector & I could just carry on. Then my tricare insurance decided to change to generic Glatopa..since then my shots have burned & injection sites hurt weeks after..noticed more numbness in legs and feet & constantly cold...My Dr is trying to fight for Copaxone but I don't think she's gonna win...I cant afford $5800.00 a month for copaxone..I'm going to request another MRI to see if there's any changes”

Woman with MS · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 16, 2019

Glatopa (glatiramer): “I was fine with the shots w/and w/out the injector with copaxone. I could take a shot.. bam do it.. go on with life..now my shots are at times just paralysing with the burning and pain and the welts. I can feel every place I've taken a shot for the last 3 weeks and still have welts in some areas. Copaxone was so much smoother”

Cv September 13, 2019

“I've been on generic glatiramer for just about a year now. I have not had a relapse of my MS since being on it. I was just diagnosed a year ago so it's hard to say if it's the drug doing the work or my body just not relapsing. I've been contemplating coming off of it but I'm afraid to commit to that completely. As far as effects from the med, I get the site reaction. When I first started it was so very itchy and painful and now it's really not as bad. Sometimes I feel like I have a cough from it and I get headaches but I'm not sure if it's from the summer heat or the med itself. I had one post injection reaction where my heart started pounding and I became flush all over. It hasn't happened since. Overall I guess I'm satisfied with the medication and I'm kind of afraid to come off. I'm also somewhat afraid of possible long term effects even though most rave about the safety of this med..”

Stimmy · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 17, 2019

Copaxone (glatiramer): “Have been using 9 years. Had mild injection reactions initially that lasted a few minutes. Have had very mild progression overall.”

Meog · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 14, 2019

Copaxone (glatiramer): “I was on Copaxone 40 mg for 2 months before I quit. It was my 1st MS drug; I hope I won't react so poorly to the next. For me each injection just really hurt. It *burned* starting 15 - 30 sec in, even with an ice pack. The burn was intense for ~15 min, then in ~1 hour it lessened enough I could limp off to bed. Welts ~2" in diameter formed on my arms and thighs, and lumps formed in my stomach or the back of my hips. The welts were painful and hot for 3-7 days (thigh injections were the worst; I cried after those). The lumps itched for ~5 days after stopping hurting (~1 day). Not to say they weren't bad too; just less so. The burning was bad enough that by the 2nd month I had my husband do the injections; I just couldn't bring myself to put the needle in anymore. Does everyone who uses Copaxone feel like this and just suck it up? Am I being a wimp here? I hope not.”

Tabpolo · Taken for 10 years or more June 1, 2019

Copaxone (glatiramer): “Diagnoses in 2006, started on Rebif which early killed me. Crashing Blood sugar levels. Got on Copaxone, first 20 mg every day, then 40 mg 3x/week. Besides the minor effects of tingling, fatigue, slowing down, no major issues. MRIs show minor progression. Nov 2018 my insurance notified me it would no longer cover the cost. I’ve been working with my doctor to find the next med, tried Tecfidera, stopped after 3 weeks the side effects were so horrible. I want back on Copaxone.”

Alleyah · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 12, 2019

Copaxone (glatiramer): “Copaxone didn't work for me, I had severe shaking episodes after administering the medication and my doctor suggested that I might be having allergic reactions to the treatment. I'm in the process of selecting another one.”

JLD · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 20, 2019

Glatopa (glatiramer): “I was completely stable on Copaxone for years, with no progression, until Cigna made me switch to Glatopa. After several weeks on Glatopa I began having severe symptoms, including numbness and tingling in my extremities, difficulty using my hands, clumsiness in one foot, and difficulty thinking. I am afraid and wish I had never tried this drug.”

Sunshine March 3, 2019

Glatopa (glatiramer): “I was on copaxone for 6 years with no issue's and stable MRI. Then Cigna forced me to switch to glatopa.I tried to fight to stay on it even with my doc note to stay on copaxone. No luck. So I tried it. Terrible auto injector compared to coxpaxone. It took weeks to inject correctly. 5 months on it and I had a relapse. I am still on it until I see my neuro and decide what to do. I don't like all the other choices out there and the side effects. All I know is I was fine ,until the insurance company switched me with no concern that it is not the same drug. This is what happen to me. You might do great on it but that is your choIce.”

Lee · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 31, 2019

Copaxone (glatiramer): “I had injection site reactions, shortness of breath and mild chest pains. Was told these were normal reactions that would pass. Well. They in fact never passed. Instead this drug caused me to go into anaphylactic shock. I'm lucky I'm here to write this review. I checked and cannot find anywhere on this drugs page where my experience was indicated. Shows similar reactions but yrs ago. My experience was within the last few years. It is important that people comment with anapylactic shock reactions so more people are aware. So I felt compelled to share my story”

Ironmoon · Taken for 10 years or more January 15, 2019

Copaxone (glatiramer): “Transitioned from Avonex when it stopped providing benefits. While Copaxone has not fully stopped disease progression, it has slowed progression to a crawl. In fact any progression of the MS has been difficult to discern except over long periods of time, looking back!”

A good support and backup · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 24, 2018

Copaxone (glatiramer): “I was diagnosed in 2008. Was put on Betasron - didn't work, Techfidera (nightmare no good always read ingredients),Then Copaxone which was a great fit, 20mg works for me and exercise that helps balance and builds muscle. Copaxone it helps but talk to your and nurse because most patient reacts differently.”

JerseyGirl13 · Taken for less than 1 month October 1, 2018

Glatopa (glatiramer): “Despite my neurologist's request to keep me on Copaxone (symptom free since 2008 and minor injection-site irritation), Cigna forced me onto Glatopa. First, the injection device is flawed. Jammed twice and didn't fully inject the medication. More frightening are the injection-site reactions: large rash and bruising that resolved over 4 weeks into what looked like some skin infection, peeling, scabbing. I'm am fortunate that my neurologist found this unacceptable and switched me back after 2 weeks (6 doses).”

Greyanne · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 26, 2018

“I was diagnosed in 2002 and put on Copaxone with no side effects and no progress of the disease on MRI's. This past January I had to switch to Kaiser and was unable to get any meds till July- they would only approve Glatopa. I had over the 6+months a lot of symptoms I had never experienced before and was scared for the first time since being diagnosed. I have been on the Glatopa less than a month and my mouth is numb and sometimes my lips and I'm not able to speak properly at times as my tongue can't work properly. I also have tremendous mood swings and intense feelings over being overwhelmed, none of which I had on Copaxone. They don't have a neurologist that specifically treats MS so I feel like my choice is nothing or Glatopa that may be doing me more harm than good. I wish there was more information on the difference with these drugs as there obviously are big differences.”

Lake girl · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 20, 2018

Copaxone (glatiramer): “I was diagnosed with Relapsing MS August 2017. I started on 40mg Copaxone Injectable 3/week. At first it didn’t seem so bad. Then after the repetitiveness, I began having terrible site reactions after 5 months. I tried sticking it out, but then I started getting bad headaches, weight gain & joint pain. I decided to switch to a once a day pill.”

Vamp E · Taken for less than 1 month May 16, 2018

Copaxone (glatiramer): “OMG, first time taking copaxone after taking avonex for 20 years. It is unbelievable, no side effects. Even though I am happy that avonex was there and I truly believe that because I stayed on it my MS is controllable it was a pain, the side affects were too much. I am happy to try copaxone, I was not happy with injecting myself daily but since there are no side effects....that helps. :)”

Shereld8808 · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 4, 2018

Copaxone (glatiramer): “Was on it for 2 yrs then it just stopped working”

Ranharri May 1, 2018

Copaxone (glatiramer): “Diagnosed in 2000. Lost all feeling in half of right arm. MRI showed innumerable lesions in brain & 3 on spine. Also evidence of MS in spinal fluid. Immediately began Copaxone 20 mg daily. Swank MS diet limiting saturated fat to 15 grams per day. Have taken Vit B, D , Coq 10, chorella ( for the amino acids), multi-vits, sphingolin ( Myelin protein) , evening primrose oil & fish oil w/ food at lunch.. Also apitherapy ( hugely helpful) sting myself with live honeybees whenever possible . I Had one exacerbation in 2005 where I was dragging my foot when walking & was put on steroid intervenous drip for 2nd time ( which reversed all symptoms..). I exercise 3 times per week with mild cardio (stairclimber, weights, swim) don't push myself except to get heart rate up to about 130- 150 with push at the end. No real symptoms except for occasional tingling & minor balance issues. Naps also very important . Massage also helpful... Something is working... Don't know what...”

Momof3 · Taken for less than 1 month April 25, 2018

“I had a severe allergic reaction last night. My face and mouth swelled. I couldn't breathe and had a hard time swallowing. My whole body was covered in hives. I had to go to the ER. I will NEVER take this medicine again. I thought I was going to die.”

Fern · Taken for 10 years or more April 15, 2018

Copaxone (glatiramer): “I had my first MS symptoms in 1985; diagnosed with RRMS in 1990. Started on Copaxone in 2000, 18 years ago. When they came out with 3x a week injections, I switched to that. My course has been largely benign: most of my symptoms involve sensory sensations on my right side, a few times those sensations have been pronounced enough that it causes weakness/numbness in my foot and some trouble walking. I haven't had a relapse for 8 years now; not sure if it's because I have mild MS or if it's the Copaxone. For now, I'm not willing to go off it to find out. Of all the MS drugs, I think Copaxone has the most manageable side effects. I've never had any problems aside from being a little sore after the injection and getting those lumps after repeated injections. Years back I stopped injecting in my arms/legs because I don't have a lot of fat there and the lumps I felt in those areas eventually went away. It took about a year, but they did disappear.”

Learn more about Multiple Sclerosis