User Reviews for Glatiramer

Also known as: Copaxone, Glatopa

Learn more about Glatiramer.

Multiple Sclerosis 105 reviews 87 medications

7.8
Summary of Glatiramer reviews 105 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Glatiramer

Copaxone (glatiramer) for Multiple Sclerosis: "Took about 20 injections no effect yet"

Adge (taken for less than 1 month) June 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Copaxone (glatiramer) for Multiple Sclerosis: "I was diagnosed with MS at 41 in 1998..I was relieved when my doctor recommended the once a week shot Avonex thinking it would be the easiest. Not so...bad side effects. I went from cane to walker to wheel chair to hospital all in the few years I was on it. Just before I went into the hospital I went on 20 mg seven days a week of copaxone. It gave me my life back. I then went from wheel chair to walker to cane and then nothing in about two years time.. I've now been on it for 17 years with no major relapses. Not a day goes by that I don't feel the effects of MS but nothing compared to what it was before copaxone.."

Fdriver May 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Copaxone (glatiramer) for Multiple Sclerosis: "I was on the 20 mg of Copaxone for more than 10 years and took a break for about a year. Felt that I was stable, I felt great, and MRIs were showing no new progression. Recently starting trying to get back on it using the 40 mg for the last three weeks and am getting rashes, hives, headaches and in general feeling worn out and "MS-ey." Just not sure whether to be on it or not at this point."

Lindsey 333 (taken for 10 years or more) April 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Copaxone (glatiramer) for Multiple Sclerosis: "I was diagnosed relapsing-remitting Multiple Sclerosis MS April 2016. August 2016 and February 2017 the MRI showed minimal activity. My neurologist advised me to start using Copaxone, 3 times a week - 40 mg. I've been injecting myself without the auto injector and so far so good. I only inject in my belly and legs (in the evening). When injecting in my belly I experience a burning/itchy feeling. This fades away after an hour. It's an awkward feeling but not a big deal. When injecting my legs I experience stiffness of my leg muscle. After a few hours it is gone. The stiffness is a nuisance but not a big deal. Next morning, no more itchy sensations or muscle stiffness. All gone. Because I am only using it for 2 weeks I don't know if it helps but so far I am very happy"

Dreads March 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Glatopa (glatiramer) for Multiple Sclerosis: "For what it's worth, I would not recommend switching to Glatopa yet (as it's still too new in the market). I was on Copaxone for 5 years and was doing great before the switch. Had I known what I know now, I would have opted for the alternative Copaxone financial assistance (a reimbursement program) to stay on the daily shot once Kaiser auto-switched patients to Glatopa (for cost saving purposes to them) without ensuring the negative side effects to patients because basically they just don't care. All that being said, within 6 months of switching to Glatopa, I ended up in the hospital with Transverse Myelitis for 10 days (with a 100K hospital bill) which is more than a relapse it's a completely new lesion on the spine. Anyway, while in the hospital a doctor told me that a generic does not have to be exactly the same ingredients as their predecessor. She said the generic drug can contain up to 20% of new proprietary ingredients). Wish I had known. It's unbelievable that Kaiser (or any doctor) would just switch patients to a new drug without that full disclosure or before the medication has been truly tested as a genuine safe replacement. I have since been referred to MS Center (where they don't recommend Glatopa - go figure). My new doctor (at MS Center) put me on Tysabri - which I hear is the "cadillac" of current MS treatments. Anyway, been doing fine on it so far with the exception of lingering nerve discomfort from the Glatopa relapse (for which I also take Gabapentin). Soon I will be back 100% and in the meantime...All is well!"

T.S. March 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Copaxone (glatiramer) for Multiple Sclerosis: "I started taking copaxone in 2001, after trying avonex for 3 weeks with bad flu like symptoms. I began copaxone 20 mg once a day, it's been 16 yrs now with minimal side effects, compared to the exacerbations. I miss aprox 1 injection a week, on average due to it not injecting. I have not had a major attack in 16 yrs. I rarely ever use my cane. Once last year I caught the flu and had bad MS related symptoms. When I was 21 I had optic neuritis, @ 28 I became at least 90 percent paralyzed from my waist down and was told I would be in a wheel chair by 50. After this l quit smoking, drinking and any non medicinal drug, I began working out etc.The answer to me is the opposite to burning the candle at both ends & a positive outlook."

Lion heart March 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Copaxone (glatiramer) for Multiple Sclerosis: "I was diagnosed with RRMS in 1993. Tried Avonex, worst side effects body pain, pounding headache instantly. Stopped drug after 6 wks. In 1999 had relapse. Double vision, numb on left side, slurred speech, dizziness, fatigue, unable to walk without falling, my mind felt odd. Doctor at DUKE university suggested Copaxone 20mg. Started in 1999. Now on 40mg 3 times a week. Had relapse may 2016. I have itching, welts, injection pain, lumps and permanent indentations."

PJams (taken for 10 years or more) February 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Copaxone (glatiramer) for Multiple Sclerosis: "I started taking Copaxone in mid-August 2016. The first 3-4 months, I didn't notice any real difference. After the first few weeks, I didn't have any more site reactions. For the last two months, I'm experiencing terrible joint pain. Leg cramps in the middle of the night, my hips are stiff; my shoulders hurt. just a little while ago, my hand was shaking sooo bad. It's scared me. So here's the thing - I'm not experiencing any of the other MS symptoms that I had before taking Copaxone. Gone are those electrical shock sensations, I'm not really more numb, the weird feeling that runs down my spine. It seems like I've traded one set of symptoms for another. Before copaxone, I enjoyed exercising. Now not so much. :("

Linny60 January 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Glatopa (glatiramer) for Multiple Sclerosis: "I was diagnosed with MS a few months ago. Glatopa was the first drug prescribed. The auto-injector makes the daily injections easy to tolerate. I was on it for approximately one month before having an extreme adverse reaction that started immediately after an injection. It started with a strong metallic taste in my mouth, loud rushing sounds in my ears, and extreme dizziness and loss of motor functions followed by crushing chest pain and shortness of breath. The most severe symptoms lasted for 10-15 minutes, the chest pain for over an hour and the breathing problems for well over 2 hours. I believe I blacked out for several minutes at the onset of the reaction. I am currently not taking any MS medication."

CynthiaO (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 29, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Copaxone (glatiramer) for Multiple Sclerosis: "I stopped copaxone due to bad reactions. I haven't eat red meat, milk, cheese, yogurt and white bread. I only drink almond milk and try to eat heathy. I am also taking vitamin d 5000 mg, cranberry pills 3600 mg, turmeric pills, fish oil, b12. I been heathy even without injections. Also praying a lot "

Menymom September 13, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Copaxone (glatiramer) for Multiple Sclerosis: "Have been on Copaxone 20mg everyday for 14 yrs. Only one major flare up in 2011 that left me numb from waist down, had to learn to walk again. But only missed 5 days not taking Copaxone. Am okay with a shot everyday. Am now walking with a walker, no flare ups since 2012."

Ms Owl 53 (taken for 10 years or more) September 10, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Copaxone (glatiramer) for Multiple Sclerosis: "After dealing with the horrific side effects of Avonex, and being admitted into a hospital for four days after I was suspected of having PML due to my worsening of symptoms and low white blood count (thanks to Tecfidera), I finally found the right treatment for me. I couldn't be any more happier with Copaxone."

AnttiKokko (taken for less than 1 month) August 19, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Copaxone (glatiramer) for Multiple Sclerosis: "i have been taking copaxen for 5 years now for ms i started the 1 a days shot but a year ago went to 3 a day this stuff kept me ms in check if you get this drug i suggest you get a auto injector with it makes things easer"

spinningblades July 7, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Copaxone (glatiramer) for Multiple Sclerosis: "Was on Copaxone for 3 years. Horrid reaction after many injections as it seemed I was often hitting a vein. Huge welts from injections that took weeks to subside. Last straw was the killing of flesh on left arm. Surgeon said damage looked like a chemical burn from the inside out. Two surgeries to repair and have 8 inch scar as permanent reminder. This was back in 2003."

Spool (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 23, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Copaxone (glatiramer) for Multiple Sclerosis: "I wrote a review on 12/2015 unfortunately I had to stop using copaxone because I got bad reactions. The last one was body shaking like if I had a machine connected to my body for one hour my buttocks muscle shaking so much. I got very scared and stopped medication. It's been 2 months and I don't think I will go back to it. I am just trying to eat healthy I cut all lacteos and red meat. "

Monicdmompho May 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Copaxone (glatiramer) for Multiple Sclerosis: "Please, anyone with MS, look into Dr. Terry Wahls and her protocol for MS. Most MS symptoms can be controlled through diet. Please take a few minutes to look into this, it could save you a lot of suffering and money."

NaturalHelper May 16, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Copaxone (glatiramer) for Multiple Sclerosis: "Have been on copaxone 20, avonex, and tysabri.Avonex caused bigiminy, tysabri was stopped because I had the virus and could have a brain infection. Copaxone has kept me free of relapses for 12yrs. I recently started copaxone 40 and have had 2 massive injection site reactions and am currently off treatment. I hope I can start back on copaxone 20, in 6wks. I am a lucky person, I am weak and tired, at 67 doing ok. I do not recommend copaxone 40,but do not want geneticists."

Glenn alex3 May 9, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Copaxone (glatiramer) for Multiple Sclerosis: "I had two pretty worrying initial exacerbations in July 2011 and February 2012; since then I use Copaxone and I've had no relapses nor new lesions (I write this May 2016). Injections are of course a nuisance, but what can we do."

Diego's May 8, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Copaxone (glatiramer) for Multiple Sclerosis: "I have been on Copaxone for 14 years. I have been fortunate in not having any more major flare ups and have remained fairly stable. I do have the tiredness and lack of energy at times, but sometimes feel so good I can almost forget I have MS. The first 12 years were the 20 mg daily injections and had the usual problems with site injection lumps and itching. I was changed to the 40 mg 3 times per week approximately two years ago and recently went to two injections per week because the insurance coverage is changing. I am going from my regular insurance to Medicare with a supplemental plan and will not have to pay $4,000 per year out of pocket. In my opinion I felt the best doing the 20 mg daily than taking 40 mg 3 times/week."

repool April 26, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Copaxone (glatiramer) for Multiple Sclerosis: "I experienced 2 attacks within 2 years. The Last was August 2014. On November 1st 2014, I was diagnosed with MS. I started Copaxone 40, 3x a week. Fast Forward to now, 4-25-16. I have had no new attacks since and no permanent damage. Sure the injections are a pain sometimes, and I was nervous at first. Plain and simple - If I mess up an injection. It Hurts! If I take my time and do it right I feel nothing. I have never dieted in my life, but now 38, I need to change my diet and exercise again. The medicine has worked for me. Aside from my weight gain, I am 100% grateful for the drug and will keep it going. Stay Positive ! Good Luck everyone. "It is what we make of it""

Anthony7707 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 25, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Copaxone (glatiramer) for Multiple Sclerosis: "I was diagnosed in 2004 and I've been off and on Copaxone since then. I take the 3x a week 40-count shot now, and there is a study ongoing now that is trying to see if taking an 80-count injection once a month works just as well. I always feel better on Copaxone, and I will try to remain compliant. In the past I've had muscle stiffness, anxiety w/ it, but not now. I find I have less site reaction if I inject it chilled, and stomach is best. Multiple studies have show it's the best chance to avoid a relapse. I do wonder, if I had remained compliant, whether I would be able to walk without a cane, or avoid the burning legs that make it hard to wear most pants. (I find medical cannabis hugely helpful, but I would prefer the no-high variety.)"

still walking (taken for 10 years or more) April 24, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Copaxone (glatiramer) for Multiple Sclerosis: "so far doing good. Got a diagnosis of MS 2016, Jan. I was numb from the waist down. Took for a month for the numbness to recede. I am very unbalance. I am hoping as months pass that will disappear. My energy has not return for me yet. Maybe it will. I am praying so. No reactions except itching on the back of my arms. that is all. I do all 7 sites."

deetrust (taken for less than 1 month) March 16, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Copaxone (glatiramer) for Multiple Sclerosis: "Updating my 3 mri's and xray I'm stable nothing new just dealing with old damages . I've been in copaxone 8 years on Feb 8 . The 40 mg hurts more but if I'm stable with nothing new I'm sticking with my copaxone."

Bourg70343 January 26, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Glatopa (glatiramer) for Multiple Sclerosis: "No side effects, same as Copaxone."

all nicknames taken January 7, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Copaxone (glatiramer) for Multiple Sclerosis: "I think Copaxone has been great for me, no serious relapses. I went to 40mg, because 3x a week sounded better than 7, right!? I wish I had just stayed with the 20mg, been doing it for years, never had any issues. Getting a lot more site reactions now with the 40mg, lumps, itching, painful, etc. Talked to my Doctor about going back to 20mg, he said there is a generic available and most insurance companies are gonna try to push people toward the generic now. I might be stuck with the 40mg. My advice would be, just stick with the daily shots."

Nehemiah1 (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 4, 2016