User Reviews for Fluticasone nasal to treat Allergic Rhinitis

Also known as: Flonase, Flonase Allergy Relief, Flonase Sensimist, Xhance, Ticanase

Fluticasone nasal has an average rating of 4.6 out of 10 from a total of 123 ratings for the treatment of Allergic Rhinitis. 33% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 52% reported a negative effect.

Fluticasone nasal Rating Summary

4.6/10 average rating

Compare all 269 medications used in the treatment of Allergic Rhinitis.

Reviews for Fluticasone nasal

Mandy July 8, 2021

Flonase (fluticasone): “My allergies/post nasal drip were at their worst, so I decided to try Flonase out of desperation. The first day or two I noticed immediate relief for my post nasal drip symptoms - but then the following days I began feeling extremely fatigued & anxious. I've suffered from anxiety & depression in the past and have it under control, so I am always aware when my mental health is feeling off - and the only logical explanation for this change was the introduction of Flonase in my system. I stopped using it immediately, and feel as though I am experiencing withdrawal symptoms - headache, fatigue, brain fog, anxiety - I would've thought I was going crazy, but was so relieved to see that others had similar experiences with Flonase. I'm feeling a bit better each day, but from past experiences with anxiety, I know it will take a bit of time to feel back to normal. In conclusion, I'd much rather deal with post nasal drip than have my mental health sent into a tailspin!”

DakJ · Taken for less than 1 month April 23, 2020

Flonase (fluticasone): “Back pain, anxiety, hyperactivity, insomnia, dissociation, brain fog, oral thrush, headaches, floaters in vision, sore throat, dizziness, loss of balance, crust in nostrils, odd temperature sensations in limbs. Avoid at all costs.”

Saraaa · Taken for less than 1 month August 9, 2020

Flonase (fluticasone): “TERRIBLE! Do not use this!! Or be very cautious listen to your body! If you get ANY anxiety STOP IMMEDIATELY! I used it for 9 days. I was having panic attacks every day I didn’t know wth was going on it turned my life UPSIDE DOWN. Finally I figured out it was the Flonase so I stopped using it. The panic attacks stopped but the anxious feelings stayed, had insomnia, no appetite, lost 15lbs, couldn’t work. Literally flipped everything upside down. I’ve been in and out of the hospital they’re checking everything to see if I’m okay, but mainly it effected my hormones especially cortisol. Finally now it’s been almost 6 weeks and I’m finally am getting better. Do not take this!!”

Fox7 · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 16, 2021

Flonase (fluticasone): “Thank God I looked at these reviews! I thought I was going nuts thinking it was just me that all of this was happening to, and swore it was the Flonase that was causing me issues! My allergist actually had me doing 2 sprays in each nostril TWICE a day!!! I noticed that I started gaining weight, after working hard to lose 40 lbs., I'm back up 25lbs!!! I started using it again after giving it a break due to nose bleeds and burning in my nostrils each time I used it. Plus it just wasn't working, and I was still congested no matter what I did! Also I suffer from anxiety issues, and couldn't understand why it seemed to be so much worse. All of these questions were answered by all of you who shared your experiences, and I want to thank you all so much. The bottle will be going in the trash as soon as I'm finished typing this review! No more Flonase, or the generic fluticasone, for me!”

Stayaway · Taken for less than 1 month June 7, 2020

Flonase (fluticasone): “Don’t take Flonase if you have anxiety or are sensitive to steroids. I took it for a few weeks and ended up in the ER 4 times! Racing heart, terrible anxiety, nausea, vomiting, severe mood swings and agitation. None of the drs believed me when I said it was Flonase until they discovered I had Cushing’s Syndrome!! Now I’m having to wait weeks for the steroid to get out of my system! Just awful!”

Lynn · Taken for less than 1 month April 17, 2020

Flonase (fluticasone): “This Flonase stuff has been horrible for me. It gave me horrendous headaches, interrupted my sleep patterns and has given me body aches and pains. I know it was the Flonase because 24 hours after stopping it all this has gone away. My allergies are awful but not as bad as the Flonase! This should not be an over the counter drug. The advertising is totally misleading and I can’t believe my physician recommended it. If you are going to try it Please proceed with caution.”

Don't Do It · Taken for less than 1 month August 8, 2021

Flonase (fluticasone): ““WARNING FLONASE IS DANGEROUS” I only took this for 3-4 times after the second day my heart was 110 all day rushed to ER after the doctor check my blood work my heart is perfect. Never could find out the problem, so keep in mind my heart rate went down after the gave me nitrogen, kept me over night to monitor me on a heart monitor again it’s fine. Keep in mind I have post nasal drip, so Flonase is one of my medication. Ok haven’t had it at all in the hospital heart rate fine, so now I’m being discharged the nurse comes in and bring me the Flonase because I never had it in there. So I take it now I’m discharged going to the car my heart races, it wasn’t until I got home check my heart rate was 108. The only medication I had was Flonase. Now I’m weak, tired, shoulders hurt, joints hurt, throat tighten, cough, can’t breath, my neck hurts, get tired just walking out the car into the house. I stop taking the Flonase it only been 24hr still having symptoms.”

EffFlonase · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 16, 2020

Flonase (fluticasone): “DO NOT TAKE THIS MEDICATION IF YOU'RE PRONE TO ANXIETY! I've been taking this for a few months now and I only experienced a slight decrease in allergies while becoming incredibly anxious and getting random mood swings throughout the day. Frankly, I wouldn't recommend Flonase to anyone if you have even the slightest tendency towards anxiety. It was also making me tired. I'm so glad I finally recognized what was causing this so that now I can potentially have things go back to normal.”

OwlJulie · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 21, 2020

Flonase (fluticasone): “Caused me to have migraines at the base of my head/skull where it meets my neck. I took it for years and I had migraines for years, especially while in bed trying to sleep. Saw my primary doctor for the migraines and they never figured out what was causing it, ran blood tests, etc. I suffered a long time. Then I didn't take it for the period of November 2019, then began taking it again in February 2020, which is when my migraines came back. It triggers severe pain.”

Scary August 19, 2020

Flonase (fluticasone): “This medication is DANGEROUS. Please do not take it. I would be very surprised if it doesn't end up getting taken off of shelves in the near future. The side effects are horrendous. I would've rather had horrible allergies all day every day than go through what this stuff has done to me.”

Bean September 23, 2020

Flonase (fluticasone): “I used Flonase for a short period of time. I had very good results with relief of allergy symptoms, however just a few months later I developed very rapid onset cataracts in both eyes. I was just 61 they came on so rapidly and reduced my vision to the point I could not read labels at the grocery and actually became unable to drive, due to vision impairment I had surgery and lens implants ,my cataracts were the type that could return. That was Feb 2017 and thankfully, I continue to have good vision and I am very healthy I have always wondered if the Flonase caused my cataracts, it is listed as a side effect , which unfortunately , I did not even realize that was a possible side effect until it was too late. I took no other medications and was in excellent health. I was devastated but had a wonderful ophthalmologist MD . The surgery ended up costing me 10, 000 because I had very high deductible insurance I threw away all of my Flonase and decided to never use it again”

JC · Taken for less than 1 month November 7, 2019

Flonase (fluticasone): “I gave this medication a 5/10 simply that it does a good job at reducing allergy rhinitis symptoms. However I must say that I had to discontinue the medication after one week because of significant side effects. From the first day of use I experienced severe anxiety and insomnia. The next day after stopping the medication I was extremely lethargic with body aches. Pretty powerful drug for over the counter use in my opinion”

Sebastian September 14, 2019

Flonase (fluticasone): “I moved to Seattle in spring so I started getting allergies, doctor recommended Flonase for it, it helped get rid of it but after a while I started getting this shortness of breath and tightness in chest area, felt like I was gonna pass out a couple times. I’m gonna stay away from it as that is far scarier than being stuffy.”

Allergic24x7 · Taken for 10 years or more October 6, 2021

Flonase (fluticasone): “I am horrified after seeing these negative reviews.. and mad at myself for trusting many doctors for many years. !! They kept me on Flonase for 15 yrs. I was on it constant as well as Allegra. I can’t count the number of times I asked “are you sure a steroid nasal spray is ok to use everyday and won’t have side effects”?. Resounding answer was always no, perfectly safe. I kept taking it all those years because I thought rhinitis was the source of my headaches. Flash forward, I got very sudden vision problems . I had always had 20/20. Optometrist said it was age (I don’t think 45 is that old). Then years of increasingly debilitating headaches that no medication (not even narcotics) would touch. I never correlated this to Flonase. 3 weeks ago, 10/10 headache woke me up, vomited, almost went to ER (again), dizziness . Made appointment to get MRI then found this site! FURIOUS. CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT NEEDED. !!!”

Anon · Taken for less than 1 month September 4, 2021

Flonase (fluticasone): “Like another reviewer, I developed daily, severe headaches that started at the base of the skull and neck and then traveled up the whole head. I had a deep pain in the nasal cavity and a horrible, dry cough. I don't think the cough is from the allergies, I think it's from the spray. The headaches are definitely from the spray as every time I try to use it, I develop them. I threw it in the garbage. My primary care doctor loves to tell me that it "all stays in the nose" and doesn't enter the rest of your body systemically which is total bull. How else could it cause glaucoma then and such a huge range of other symptoms that so may people have reported? Mine went in the trash can!”

Jules December 29, 2019

Flonase (fluticasone): “(False advertising) They sell it in the hayfever section at the chemist for around $30 a bottle in New Zealand (NZ). I thought I'd try something new. It has been a nightmare, taken as directed, ended up with a stuffy nose for a whole week, itchy eyes, then when it got bad I also had a sore throat, coughing, pretty much feels like a flu, all congested up in the chest, feeling tired and hoping to wake up and it gone, its not normal. Wasted my money & time being sick and all at the end of the week.”

Dami September 9, 2021

Flonase (fluticasone): “STAY AWAY FROM THIS. I started taking it 2 years ago the Dr. recommend this for allergies and sinuses problems. I can't believe it took me this long to realize all the problems I been having it was because this stuff I started with heart palpitations, pressure in my neck, high blood pressure really bad vertigo I ended in the ER twice and I started to notice every time I take it I was feeling anxiety and I had panic attacks. I never suffered from any of this problems. They recommend again after my last vertigo attack and I was feeling worst every time I’ll take it. I started reading the reviews in another page. I so glad I found other people with similar symptoms horrible DO NOT TAKE THIS is in the trash now.”

SnowBirdie · Taken for less than 1 month September 16, 2020

Flonase (fluticasone): “Took Flonase for 7 days. Didn't equate the pressure behind my right eye with this until I got a stabbing pain in my eye and went to the optometrist immediately. He said it's the nasal spray causing pressure behind the eye not in the eye and it is causing the dry eye. I read all the precautions again and "eye pain" is a symptom.”

Guest · Taken for less than 1 month July 1, 2018

Flonase (fluticasone): “Do NOT buy this!!!!! Like other nose sprays, this does NOTHING to help your allergies. Unlike pills that actually work and cure all your allergy symptoms. Flonase does NOTHING but burn your nose and leave you with a very harsh aftertaste. Their ads are very misleading, and Flonase needs to be taken off the market for good. ”

Kristyrae21 July 23, 2013

Flonase (fluticasone): “I have awful allergies and have since I was a kid. At 30 years old I finally couldn't take it anymore, and gave in and started taking medicine. I take a prescription strength Claritin, and use Flonase, Fluticasone Propionate. I really like it because it takes effect immediately. I actually like the smell of it. It cracks me up because it is for allergies, yet smells like flowers. I noticed it works best if you blow your nose first and use it first thing in the morning. I did experience a mild nose bleed about a week into using it, but haven't had one since and I have been using it 4 months now.”

Nelson February 8, 2021

Flonase (fluticasone): “I suffered from stuffy nose, headaches and ears aching for 3-4 years. Numerous sinus infections, antibiotics and visit to Dr and ENT. Nasocort didn't do much, Flonase works! I was hesitant at first as I don't like taking meds- side effects, allergic reaction, etc. My experience has been great, it worth trying if you have tried other things. Its safe and effective. **Side note. 2 years ago we installed a humidifier in our furnace system to keep moisture levels up. GAME changer!! No sinus infections since. Best of luck. Be safe and give it a try.”

blue-sky · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 18, 2020

Flonase (fluticasone): “Flonase is possibly ok for intermittent use if your nose is completely clogged. I do NOT recommend this for daily use as ENT's and Dr.'s suggest. The more I used this, the more migraines and daily headaches I got. I started feeling better not using flonase and told a Dr. this and he told me to keep using it. So I started using it again, and back came the debilitating migraines. Horrible ones for which nothing worked and for which I had to miss work. Will never go back to this. Nasal rinse only. Giving it 3 stars for the occasional use only.”

CherylM16 March 3, 2016

Flonase (fluticasone): “I had a stuffy nose for 2 wks, tried afrin & over the counter meds and nothing worked. I used to take rx flonase about 10 yrs ago every allergy season so I figured it couldnt hurt to try. It took about 3 days and now my nose is almost completely cleared up. Before taking this I had sinus pain/pressure, a horrible smell when I blew my nose, constant runny nose, watery eyes. Most times I couldnt even blow anything out it was so clogged. Flonase works.”

owlcat · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 31, 2021

Flonase (fluticasone): “This was taken daily caused increased appetite, cravings and rapid weight gain. Gained 70 lbs in 2 years, all can be contributed to months where taking this was a constant daily with Allegra. Once both were discontinued weight gain stopped and was able to lose weight. When both continued (as per Dr.) weight gain began again despite dieting, exercise plus having an active job and am not sedentary. Both cortisteroid nasal sprays and antihistamines have been studied separately and shown to cause weight gain, yet neither drug lists it as a side effect. If obesity runs in your family, STAY AWAY! Additionally, it did NOT help my allergy to mold. I still have chronic post-nasal drip and congestion. I still got severe hay fever 6x last year despite taking these drugs nearly daily.”

Maddison_12345678 December 15, 2016

Flonase (fluticasone): “Flonase SUCKS. The first two days I used it, I thought it was the greatest thing ever invented because my horrible allergies finally seemed to clear up. I forgot to take it one day and woke up in the middle of the night with a stopped up nose, so I took Flonase again as soon as I woke up. It was VERY ineffective that time. I got horrible headaches, insanely itchy eyes, a sore throat, and my mouth and lips were constantly dry. It has been a week since I've vowed to never use Flonase again, and I STILL have the WORST smell in my nose and mouth from that stupid allergy "reliever". If you're wondering if you should hop in your car, make the trip out, and purchase Flonase, I will let you know right now that, that is the biggest mistake.”

Learn more about Allergic Rhinitis