User Reviews for Evening Primrose Oil

Evening Primrose Oil has an average rating of 7.6 out of 10 from a total of 13 ratings on Drugs.com. 69% of reviewers reported a positive experience, while 23% reported a negative experience.

Hot Flashes  Off-label
10.0
Summary of Evening Primrose Oil reviews 7.6 13 reviews

Reviews for Evening Primrose Oil

AliX · Taken for less than 1 month · April 24, 2021

“Gives me palpitations and stops me sleeping whenever I take it. Be careful as some people don’t react well to EP supplements. Has a strong effect on the nervous system and should be used with caution if you are taking other omega supplements.”

Cindy E · Taken for 1 to 6 months · May 23, 2014

For Sjogren's Syndrome: “At the time I discovered an article by Dr. Oz about ways to relieve the symptoms of Sjogrens, my eyes were extremely red, swollen, itchy and dry. Nothing was helping - I was using a humidifier, and had tried numerous creams and lotions. Dr. Oz suggested a list of vitamins and oils of which Evening Primrose Oil was a significant part. I started taking 6 capsules daily and within 3 days could see some improvement. It has been 4 months now, and my eyes are completely back to normal. I don't even have to use my gel drops anymore.”

Mike · Taken for less than 1 month · May 3, 2018

For Asthma: “Unexpected improvement of dyspnea caused by antihypertensive medicines. Very effective at resolving spinal osteoarthritis nerve pain, and related referred pain in my legs and feet. Possible improvement in muscle strength.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years · March 17, 2022

“I started taking evening primrose oil capsules a year ago. Mostly for my acne and mood swings and anxiety and stress. I am a different person now with better skin but not perfect! I have more confidence as my self esteem has increased nicely due to not being anxious and self critical. I'm not 100 percent sure if it is all the cause of taking evening primrose oil but as long as I have been taking my dose everyday my life has definitely improved hugely!”

Caxcobb · Taken for 1 to 6 months · April 27, 2018

For Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: “Evening oil of primrose is great if you are feeling a little down. You need to take 3 or 4 capsules and I find it seems to work pretty well straight away! Hope this is good information for someone!”

KD · Taken for 6 months to 1 year · September 22, 2019

For Hot Flashes: “Taking Evening Primrose Oil for several months now, has nearly eliminated hot flashes. Saw improvement within a few days of taking the supplement. Only take 1000 to 1300 mg a day.”

tmar · March 3, 2016

For Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: “It gave me horrible indigestion and heart palpitations (tachycardia) definitely not a good herb for hormone balancing.”

Anonymous · October 19, 2009

For Postmenopausal Symptoms: “Dramatic reduction in hot flushes achieved taking 1300mg Evening Primrose Oil daily and almost eliminating dairy products from diet.”

Happy Happy Joy Joy · December 19, 2009

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: “Stabilized my periods and stopped the night sweats.... YES!”

hot flashes · Taken for 1 to 6 months · December 28, 2014

For Hot Flashes: “Help tremendously with my hot flashes. I am able to sleep at nights so much better.”

lucyball · Taken for 10 years or more · June 16, 2013

For Hot Flashes: “Very good for female swelling at that time of the month don't over look this natural helper”

Chilled out · Taken for 6 months to 1 year · February 24, 2015

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: “Amazing! 1300 mg a day not only takes the edge off PMS/PMDD but chills me out every day. Also on Zoloft but EPO adds an extra something that relaxes me just right!”

Tracy E · Taken for 1 to 6 months · April 15, 2016

For Hot Flashes: “Does not work”

Yvonne Curry · Taken for less than 1 month · February 10, 2020

For Hot Flashes: “I've been taking evening primrose oil for a week now, 1000 mg dose. I haven't seen any reduction in the hot flashes as of yet.”

Beaver · Taken for 1 to 2 years · January 12, 2021

For Asthma: “Evening primrose oil excellent stopping hot flushes ( menopause )”

More about Evening Primrose Oil (evening primrose)

Patient resources