User Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate

Also known as: Estarylla, Femynor, Mili, Mono-Linyah, Mononessa, Ortho Cyclen, Ortho Tri-Cyclen, Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo, Previfem, Sprintec, Tri Femynor, Tri-Estarylla, Tri-Linyah, Tri-Lo-Estarylla, Tri-Lo-Marzia, Tri-Lo-Mili, Tri-Lo-Sprintec, Tri-Mili, Tri-Previfem, Tri-Sprintec, TriNessa, TriNessa Lo …show all brand names

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Ethinyl estradiol/norgestimate.

Ethinyl estradiol/norgestimate Rating Summary

5.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 400 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol/norgestimate to treat Acne

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "Used for a month or two. Gave me terrible migraines daily, along with irritability and nausea. I didn’t notice any difference in my acne."

Jett. November 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I have been on trinessa for almost 2 years now and I haven't had any problems with it. I gained some weight at beginning but not too much. I started using it for acne and then was also using it for birth control and both work great for me. Recently I started getting a little acne back but I'm pretty sure its because of stress. Overall, does the job well."

Rachelllllll November 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I used to only get a pimple here and there on my cheeks. When I started Tri-Sprintec my acne got significantly worse. I was getting deep cystic zits all over my cheeks. After 3 months or so my acne calmed down but it was still worse than before. A year later and my acne is still worse than when I started the medication but I'm terrified to go off of it because I'm scared of the breakout that will happen when I go off of it. Wish I never started taking it, it's ruining my life."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 5, 2017

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tri-Linyah (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I just started taking this. I am now on week 4 and it is bitter sweet so far. My period has been abnormal (about 2 years without a period) and my doc prescribed this pill to me. It's "sweet" because I got my period. Not too light and not too heavy. However, there are a lot of "bitter" sides. For 1 week, I felt really nauseous. Also, I barely have acne on my face before, but after taking these pills I developed small acne all over. It looks like chicken pox all over my face. I will continue to try this for 2 more months. If the problems persist, I'm going to ask doc to prescribe me something else."

Kc Ren (taken for less than 1 month) November 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "Trinessa really worked well for me. I have PCOS and have always had really irregular periods. Trinessa fixed my irregular periods and cleared up my acne in about 3-4 months. I also have noticed that my mood swings have decreased since starting the medication."

Kschaefz October 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tri-Linyah (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "Horrible!!! This birth control pills caused me to have an upset stomach every day. Then came the mood swings and emotional episodes. And it also caused me to have severe anxiety attacks so I quit taking it."

Britt278 (taken for less than 1 month) October 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Background on my skin type: Asian with oily skin. Prior to Tri-Sprintec, I had large pores and I would get cystic acne every time I broke out. I noticed a great improvement in my over all skin and complexion on this pill, I also never broke out other than around my period. I am currently on Microgestin (I stopped taking the pill for a couple of years and my new doctor prescribed me this birth control instead) and it’s causing really bad cystic acne all over my cheeks and chin. I definitely recommend Tri Sprintec over Microgestin."

Lan Thy October 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "Not sexually active, so I can't tell how it helps in pregnancy prevention. It did stop spotting in between periods, but it destroyed my skin. Particularly along my jawline (jawline acne is typically hormonal), my skin broke out the entire duration of using Trinessa. It was the hard, painful acne that left behind dark marks when they had run their course. I stayed on the pill for three months to make sure it was a the pill causing the acne, and it was. During the placebo pill week when you get your period, my skin would clear up. Until I had to start the pill again, that is. Beyond that, my emotions were so out of whack on this pill that I was constantly on the verge of tears when I am a silly, easygoing girl who is extremely positive."

ARW2017D (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "Please please read !!!! When I was younger my skin was good I would get a pimple here and there as a common teen, but later I broke out not bad don't get me wrong but I broke out on my cheeks, a lot on my forehead. I would have tiny skin coloured bumps , they would go and come back here and there , so my cheeks I usually have got like at least 6 zits on them , my skin is soft but I have red spots all over my checks. Anyway so let's get into tri sprintec I had gone to my Dermatologist and he prescribed me some ointment and some sensitive skin facial cleanser and now I had been prescribed tri sprintec and let me tell you worst experience EVER!! I only last 2 days !!! Headaches and vomiting ! Lost 12 p"

Sofia527 September 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I was on orthotricyclen which really cleared my skin but my new doctor decided to switch Bc on me to trinessa and I've been getting more than the typical one or two on my cheeks. And I never break out on my forehead but I started to with trinessa. Trinessa is horrible in helping acne!!"

Annoyed. September 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on this pill for a year and switched to another pill this month. I was mainly on this pill to get rid of my bad acne. Acne on my back, chest, thighs, and neck went away but on my face it was inconsistent. I had the most clear skin on the sugar pills week and the first 3 weeks were bad puss filled acne on my forehead chin and lower cheeks which left me with scars and really dry skin. I was also very irritable with my family and boyfriend :( Besides that, it was actually a good pill. my periods were normal and came at the same time every month, no cramping, no weight gain, and most importantly i'm not pregnant! Acne is a big factor in my depression so i chose to switch."

Rachelina (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Estarylla (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I read a whole ton of bad reviews on this, specifically the side effects, but so far I have had no side effects. My friend stopped taking BC because the nausea (I have no idea which brand/type) so I was iffy but so far I love it! It's cleared my terrible ance problem almost fully. My periods are like they always have been, a day or two longer, but I think thats because I stopped working out as much. I would give it a 10 but I've not taken the drug that long to truly know."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "Let's start off saying that medications work different for everybody. Personally it has not been bad for me like all of these other reviews. The first couple of weeks I did have mood swings, I was debating on stopping trinessa Lo, but I said maybe just my hormones need to regulate. Well they regulated. I started taking this birth control so I can stop getting hormonal break outs mid cycle. My acne wasn't horrible, I really just had oily skin and and a few cystic bumps that would leave red marks that looked ugly to me. I probably would get 7 a month? Something like that. Well the first 3 months I broke out a little more than usual. I had about 10 bumps on one cheek. On my 4th month and my skin is crystal clear!"

Bibiiii August 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Estarylla (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I took this birth control to clear my skin after the reaction I had from my previous pill. My skin cleared up in about a month. I've had amazing skin... but I've always had a terrible period, two missed periods, the worst migraine of my life and my hair is falling out. I wanted to give this pill a chance so bad but this is the worst pill I've ever had and trust me I've tried many!! Trust the reviews & don't bother"

Gia2744 August 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started this exactly a week ago and it's making me break out HORRIBLY, I truly do not know what to do :( it's my first time ever being on BC, and I've read stuff saying to wait it out and it'll clear my skin in 3 months but I don't think I can wait that long. It's really embarrassing, I've always had issues with acne but NEVER this bad and it's only been a week!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I took this pill for 3 months, and I got acne after 6 days of the first pack. It never cleared up completely until after I stopped taking the pill. It would clear up a little during the placebo week. I've never had a problem with hormonal acne, and I broke out over my shoulders, and chin significantly. It was extremely embarrassing,"

Tommieeee August 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

TriNessa Lo (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "Okay honestly I'm not sure how well this has worked in terms of combating my acne. I started in December and ever since then I've had a mixture of AMAZING skin days but also a few bad breakouts of cystic acne (currently me right now). I honestly don't really know how to rate this because I think it has helped in some ways but it's hard to tell. I also went on minocycline recently which previously helped a lot but this time I went on it I think it broke me out even more?? Anyways thats my experience so far I'll stay on it to see if it gets better even though I've been on it quite a while"

Ruby Wilson July 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been using this pill for almost a year. I am 28 and have had cystic acne the last couple years. My topical prescription wasn't working as well anymore so I decided to try birth control along with it. This has kept my cystic acne to about 1 pustule a month, which is a huge improvement. Although I have been using this and a topical medicine for my acne, it hasn't stopped the occasional breakout on my back. It's frustrating that it's not perfect but it's doing it's job. I also recently got married and am not pregnant! So it's doing 2 jobs."

Acne survivor July 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I was on the mini pill for about a year and really didn't mind it at all. However I was weaning my baby and had some breaking out so wanting to try the regular pill instead as recommended by my doctor. One month in and so far it is TERRIBLE. I get terrible cramps now, nausea all day, headaches and my emotions are out of wack! I already have slight depression and anxiety, this pill made it SO much worse. My acne is the worst it's been since I first had my daughter especially around my jawline. I am going to give it two more packs and then switch to something else."

Jessilynn (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "Just finished my 3rd month, and I have not experienced any side effects besides a tiny bit of weight gain. It cleared up most of my moderate acne. Do not be discouraged by the dozens of terrible reviews, I felt the same way before trying it."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on Sprintec for over a month now. I'm 18, this is my first birth control pill, and I was prescribed by my dermatologist. Ironically, my acne has actually worsened significantly since starting the pill. I have decided to switch to a different pill because the side effects are honestly unbearable. Sprintec has increased my appetite and resulted in weight gain. I am constantly hungry and never feel satisfied after eating. I have experienced increased depression, hair loss, and a longer period. My period averaged 4 days prior to taking Sprintec, and now it is 8-9 days. The only benefits to this pill are increased breast size and affordability."

weight gain, acne, depression (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I started taking this for acne about 3 months ago and it works great for that. I'm 18 and I have a 32B almost 32C bra size and I've always hated it! this medicine made my boobs grow almost a whole cup size!!! Which made me completely miserable."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"So I started this birth control to help with my periods and my acne, as both my dermatologist and doctor recommended it. The first three months my period got all messed up, from going from medium flow to kinda heavy. Then the next 6 months it was pretty light, with 3-4 days of light bleeding and one heavy day. But now, for the past 2 months its gone back to being heavier than usual. But I have noticed that it helps with the cramps, but my PMS sucks really bad & my anxiety has gotten really bad. My PMS usually consists of mood swings, bloating, and nausea. But if you are sexually active, make sure to take it the same time everyday!!!"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I switched to ortho tri cyclen from seasonique because I started getting acne. This completely cleared up my skin in a matter of weeks. However I ended up with break through bleeding for 2 weeks followed by a heavy period with painful cramps during the placebo week. It also got me extremely nauseous and dizzy. I'd rather have a little acne than have to deal with those side effects."

Lea333 June 15, 2017