User Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate

Also known as: Estarylla, Femynor, Mili, Mono-Linyah, Mononessa, Ortho Cyclen, Ortho Tri-Cyclen, Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo, Previfem, Sprintec, Tri Femynor, Tri-Estarylla, Tri-Linyah, Tri-Lo-Estarylla, Tri-Lo-Marzia, ...show all 22 brand names

Learn more about Ethinyl estradiol/norgestimate.

Ethinyl estradiol/norgestimate Rating Summary

6.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 438 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol/norgestimate to treat Acne

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I started typing out a long saga but ran out of character space so long story short: Wore the Ortho-evra patch back in high school, worked great, got rid of my moderate acne. Fast forward to now, dermatologist prescribed Ortho tri cyclen for my acne (it's come back since quitting previous birth control).. Been on this STUPID pill for 2 months ALONG WITH spironolactone AND minocyclin and it's turned my moderate white heads into gross, painful cystic acne and I'm getting married in 4 months and do not have a year to wait it out. My self esteem and sanity are not worth waiting on this pill to work. Switching back to the patch today. I'm giving it 2 stars because maybe if I waited it out it would work but bride-to-be ain't got time for that ✌"

NOTFORME (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 23, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I went on Ortho Tri-Cyclen for about a year & I can honestly say my face cleared up tremendously. The only downside was that I experienced crazy emotions & mood swings. I unfortunately ran out & wasn't able to refill my prescription for a couple weeks. As soon as I went back on it & for the past year I've had the worst acne I've ever had. Cystic as well as scarring I've never experienced. I tried to stick it out to see if I would get the results that I had when I first took it but it hasn't gotten any better.. I'm now switching to Gianvi & hoping this will make my acne better."

Nanni9 February 8, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "Ortho tri cycles saved my face! I've dealt with cystic acne flare ups for years. I experienced HUGE cysts that would distort my face. I've tried EVERYTHING to rid myself of them (even did a round of accutane 10 years ago) but they persistently return. 7 months ago I switched from Alesse to and it's made an incredible difference. The first 4 months were really rough (I broke out A LOT but noticed the cysts were actually coming to a head and draining for the first time ever). I almost gave up out of frustration but I'm glad I stuck it out. My face has been totally manageable, just the small NORMAL occasional pimple around my period. No weight gain, no mood swings, no adverse effects. Also loving the shorter, lighter, less painful periods"

CanadianGirl27 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 27, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Estarylla (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "The first two months of use, I broke out bad. I read reviews that said this might happen as it's balancing everything out. I stuck with it. 14 months in and I'm a happy girl. Little to no cramping (used to be quite severe) 3-4 days of light bleeding and my skin is so happy! Occasionally get a pimple or two but absolutely no more cystic acne! My moods are balanced and haven't experienced weight gain. I didn't experience any nausea or abnormal pain. I'm 37 and this is the right pill for me."

Blsd555 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 25, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I just finished my first month on this pill and so far so good. I was on Tarina fe 1/20 but it broke me out HORRIBLY so my doc switched me to trinessa. No weight gain, no stomach pains, no increase in acne AND no baby. Hopefully in a few months it'll clear my skin. A lot of ppl are saying this pill made them gain weight, I actually lost some & my boobs got a teeny bit fuller (not much tho). Without ins I pay $20 per pack at PP."

woonie12345 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 22, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I'm 18 and have had pretty awful acne since I was 12. My doctor prescribed Tri-Sprintec mainly for the acne, but also for period regulation and birth control. In the 2 weeks I've been taking it, I haven't experienced any of the mood swings or breast tenderness/growth that others have. I've gained a few pounds, but I'm home from college and so eating poorly and not exercising, so I can't really blame that on the birth control. My acne has gotten 10 times worse since starting, with lots of breakouts on my forehead, chin, and around my mouth which used to be completely clear. As frustrating as it is, I'll stick with it for a few months and hope that my body adjusts and the acne clears up!"

Still Hopeful (taken for less than 1 month) January 18, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I started taking Tri-Sprintec to treat acne, and I just finished my first pack. My acne has always been moderate, but after a couple days of the pill, I had a HUGE flare, but then it went back down to normal after a week or so (Normal for me being 2-6 new zits every morning and every night). But, I know it will take 3-6 months for it to regulate my body, so I'll be patient and wait. I will comment and say that it did have a few negative side effects. I started to get headaches, later in the night. I'm very irritable, tired, and down. I gained a little weight, but nothing that bugs me that much. I'm not recommending against this pill as I've only been on it for a month, and everyone's body is different. Just be prepared and wait, they say."

Samantha2016 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 13, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "This is my very first time taking Ortho Tri-Cyclen, and I love it! I asked my doctor for a good birth control pill that worked with acne, cramps, and periods so she suggested this! At first I thought about switching because my acne got terrible, (worse than ever) and I didn't have a period for 2 months. I gave my body sometime on it and turns out this pill is amazing! I no longer deal with bad acne or acne at all! During my time of month I will get a couple pimples but nothing to dramatic! I'm also using Clinique acne solutions face wash, toner, mosturizer and mask. IF YOU ARE WANTING TO SWITCH PLEASE DON'T. Let your body get used to the pill before you act on it. I am on month 2 and periods last 2-3 days, and I hardly ever get acne!"

kay8924 January 5, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "Terrible pill. It was recommended to me FOR my acne and made it worse. Also, be ready to cry ALL THE TIME for no reason at all."

Anonymous January 4, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I have cystic acne which isn't awful but this pill made it a lot worse. I tried a lot of different acne products and treatments and none worked so I've tried 2 birth control pills to help, this being my second try. I followed my doctors advice to give it at least 6 months and it has only made my acne worse. It is redder, more painful, and a lot deeper than before, and it has spread all over my face and become splotchy. I also get a lot of fevers and awful cramps all throughout the month. I also use birth control pills to stop my periods. The first day I went on it I got my period (it was awful and lasted 14 days). Now I keep getting them so it's not working. Don't let my experience sway you too much but unfortunately it just dosen't work."

Snowpaw (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 2, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I have only been on Trinessa for 9 days and my skin is dramatically improving. I know that it may seem too early to tell but this is the best I've seen my skin in a loooong time. I have not changed my skin routine or diet, the only thing that has changed is getting on Trinessa. My only con is that I get abdominal cramps here and there."

Kat415 December 22, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "Don't do it. I went on this birth control because I was sexual active and I wanted something that would also minimize my breakouts. I would typically get a pimple a month. Towards the last week of taking this pill my face broke out worse than it ever has. I had thousands of pimples. It was a mixture of small pimples which are called comedo and big cystic pimples along my jawline. I read reviews saying that you have to stay on the pills for at least three months then things will balance out. I took the pill for another month and things started to get even worse. I was so depressed and anxious. I stopped after my second pack and my face immediately started to improve. If you're not reacting well just stop don't wait. I'm now on lo Loestrin fe"

Deserves a zero rating (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 21, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I'm 22, I have very sensitive skin and stomach. I started this pill in September and it's now mid-December. The first month I had nausea, the second month I had various digestive issues (slightly worse than usual), and now in the 3rd full month, I am having breakouts. The nausea and the stomach issues have cleared up so I'm holding out for the acne to clear up. Meanwhile, my breasts have grown two inches! The side effects aren't so bad and the acne I have now isn't much worse than what I had before. Some people say they've experienced mood swings, depression, or change in sex drive but I haven't noticed that at all."

Mehry December 19, 2016

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I'm 39 and had moderate acne since youth. I was clear for years after having my kids but after my 39th BD it came back and I couldn't get control of it. I just started my 4th pack of Trinessa and it has been awesome. I noticed immediate improvement and after one week I was 90% clear. I have an occasional blackhead that has pushed it's way to the surface but that's it. 100% clear skin. I had some pretty bad bloating the first couple of days. And I was really worried about mood swings and depression because of the other reviews, since I have a lot going on in my life already. But I have had NONE of those nasty symptoms. My boobs have grow at least one cup size (bonus!) but I haven't had any significant weight gain or other issues. Try it!"

3girlzmom (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 18, 2016

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "Before getting on this, I was experiencing severe acne after having tried a new skincare system & foundation. I didn't even know I was capable of having skin that bad. I was so embarrassed. I had never been on birth control before (I'm 21), but I was desperate. I had my doctor prescribe this to me. I would say for the first month or so, my acne got worse - especially around my chin area. I also had terrible mood swings and depression in the beginning, but I kept going and my skin started to get clearer. Then, right before starting my 5th pack, I broke out again. But it was like all the acne that had been underneath my skin came up and then disappeared. Now on month 6, I'm pretty much clear besides hyperpigmentation. Be patient!!!"

lll22 December 11, 2016

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "Before going on this birth control I had mild acne. I wanted to go on birth control to clear up my skin but Trinessa did the total opposite for me. It made my skin ten times worse. I would wake up every morning with a new huge welt somewhere on my face and horrible pimples around my mouth and jawline. I continued using this birth control in hopes that it was just an initial break out and it would clear up (like everyone said it would) but after 6 months my skin was still horrible. The day after I stopped using Trinessa my skin cleared up almost instantly. I would not recommend this birth control to anyone. It is horrible. Even after being off of it for almost four months I still have scarring. Please find a different birth control!!"

countrygirll346 December 10, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I've been taking this pill for about 7mths now. Mostly for Birth Control and moderate acne and I have to say this pill has worked very well for me. The first few months were bumpy...breakouts, spotting, cranky etc. and I was ready to quit by month 4. But once I hit the 6mth mark it all went away. My skin is pretty clear now and I still get the occasional zit mostly on my chin but that's it. I also like that I only get my period for 4 days and it's right on time every month. I haven't gained much weight on this pill either but I did notice my breast size went up a full size and no complaints there either. Overall I think just being patient really helped."

Naida99 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 7, 2016

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "3rd month, 3rd post I am happy to report that the getting 1-2 pimples every single day, HAS STOPPED! I am so happy. I originally started this pill to get less break outs/nopregnancy. I went from getting 2-3 pimples before my cycle break out to getting 2-3 EVERY day the moment I started this pill. Has been very difficult, but accepted that the pill is a shock to your syndrome and it takes months for your body to adjust, to just stick it out. I am on my 2nd wk of month 3 and I have only gotten ONE new pimple. All the red marks left on my face from the constant breakouts, are almost completely gone. Not to mention, I have always considered myself very emotionally aware/stable, but this pill has mellowed me out to a whole new level. Love it!"

27 Steph (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 4, 2016

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "Took this for a year with no problems or side effects. It was amazing. I stopped taking any form of birth control for about two years. I took this again for a year and that's where all the problems came from. I started breaking out more and more each month. I had a rash along my hairline, my jawline, my back, my cheeks. It was terrible. It clears up a little during the "fake" pills week, but it's the worst acne I've ever had. I stopped taking it for 2 months and my face cleared up, so I knew it was the pill. I'm looking to switch to something new asap."

564825649855751 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 1, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

TriNessa Lo (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I've only been on trinessa lo for about a week and a half but ever since I started my mostly clear skin has exploded with acne so I'm stopping before it gets worse :/"

Alexa C November 30, 2016

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I'm sure i'll have a different opinion on the pill months from now but so far I've been taking Ortho Tri Cyclen just over a month. My dermatogolist perscribed this to me for my acne. I've never had any problems with my skin until I was 23 (my age now). Since September, my left cheek was the worst I've seen! Cystic acne all in one cluster but nowhere else! The weirdest thing. My doctor also prescribed me Minocycline to help with the acne and regulate my hormores (with b/c). So far, all the cysts have gone down and are now flat but I am left with acne spots. I really hope they do not scar. I've also been putting on tretinon cream to help with inflammation and scars. Does anyone have any suggestions on acne spots/lightening treatment? Thx!"

Mich9393 November 29, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Tri-Previfem (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "Originally started as a means to treat cystic acne and alleviate period cramps. Anxiety runs in my family, but I've never had it severely until I started taking this birth control. It's been three months and a few days into the fourth pack, and I've had enough. I went from someone who's never broken down about last minute assignments to someone who cries everyday for no discernible reason and can't manage even the simplest classwork. I also started off completely fine with my FWB, but now I've become dependent and paranoid even though he's one of my closest friends and I never had these issues before. It's like I'm a different person entirely, and I hate it."

Roo776 November 29, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "Started this pill as a form of BC and for acne. Only on my second cycle and I no longer get cystic acne and my other bumps are completely gone. A few whiteheads here and there, but nothing terrible. Only complain I have is that skipping periods can be tricky on TriNessa. If you're looking for primarily an acne-reducer, try this pill!! No complaints for its affect on my skin."

Viva9009 November 27, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "AM I ABOUT TO TELL YOU ALL A STORY. IT ENDS AWFULY. SO I was on this pill for 5 years. My face was fine, no acne, no issues. No birth control issues. i got on the pill because of my doctor, he told me to have this because my period was not regular and I had had it for years, so he figured this would help. I finished that treatment, and upon turning 20 I stopped taking it. No biggie right? YEAH. HUGE BIGGIE. Within 4-6 months, I didnt get my period at all. Ok thats fine, many times thats normal. MY FACE. MY POOR FACE. MY FACE EXPLODED INTO CYSTIC ACNE. I wanna say that I had been treated by my dermatologist to not have acne as I had bad acne when I was a teenager. I had to go back to him because my acne went from normal to cystic severe."

This poor acne ridden soul November 22, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I took birth control religiously from age 14-24. got pregnant at 24. ( wasn't taking my pills like I should) now my son is 2 and I recently got back on birth control. opted for the ortho tri cyclin bc that's what I had always used for years. it's day six and I am so sick I'm not taking another one. tried it at morning first (even with eating) sick as a dog. tried it before bed, woke up sick. not sure if it is too much for me, or where I haven't been on it in so long, or where it's not fully in my system. but I have made up my Mind I would rather bleed like a stuffed pig than to feel sick like this. horrible for me."

boy mom November 15, 2016