User Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate

Also known as: Estarylla, Femynor, Mili, Mono-Linyah, Mononessa, Ortho Cyclen, Ortho Tri-Cyclen, Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo, Previfem, Sprintec, Tri Femynor, Tri-Estarylla, Tri-Linyah, Tri-Lo-Estarylla, Tri-Lo-Marzia, Tri-Lo-Mili, Tri-Lo-Sprintec, Tri-Mili, Tri-Previfem, Tri-Sprintec, TriNessa, TriNessa Lo …show all brand names

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Ethinyl estradiol/norgestimate.

Ethinyl estradiol/norgestimate Rating Summary

5.9/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 400 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol/norgestimate to treat Acne

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "TriNessa definitely worked for me, but patience is key. It pretty severely broke me out for about 3 months while my hormones were adjusting but it might be less severe for others. On my 4th pack IMMEDIATELY my skin got so much smoother and more clear. I’m still struggling with scars and a few pimples here and there but my skin has really improved. As for my period, it’s regular and pretty short with no cramps, no pms, and a lighter flow. If you’re having trouble now just wait it out, it’s worth it. :)"

alolol February 9, 2018

"My skin hasn’t been this bad in a long time. I’ve taken this pill for almost 2 months and I have horrible cysts all over my cheeks/jawline that hurt so bad too. I am stopping this starting today. I went on the pill for my acne and this has only made it worse. I’m stopping this pill right now and seeing a hormonal natural doctor for my acne and hormonal imbalances."

Beccaalm January 29, 2018

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I’ve had mild to moderate acne since I was 13. I’m 28 now. When I first started this pill I had pretty bad heartburn and frequent headaches. My skin didn’t really clear up at first and I thought it wasn’t working that great. I started looking into different pills but wanted to give my body a chance to get used to it so I stuck with it. Around the fifth month I finally started seeing a little improvement in my skin. I’m on my eighth month on it now and my skin is finally clear. I can’t believe I found something that actually worked. I also don’t have heartburn or headaches anymore. I did gain about ten pounds but also was eating bad so I don’t know if I can attribute that to tri Sprintec. I’m so glad I stuck with it!"

Jess L. January 12, 2018

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "Growing up I've always had sensitive skin and mild acne. In Summer of 2016 I went on vacation and when I came back, I broke out terribly, in October 2016, my doctor prescribed me Ortho Tri Cylen but my insurance covered Tri Sprintec. Because of all of the negative reviews, I was hesitant to try it. I didn't really see any dramatic results until the 7 month mark, my skin started clearing up more and more and in the 8th month I had CLEAR SKIN. Overall with clear skin, bigger boobs and no side effects, I am EXTREMELY HAPPY with Tri Sprintec!! If you're on the edge about taking this pill, give it a shot! You'll never know if you don't try, this could be your miracle!"

StarDust12384524 January 8, 2018

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "DON'T TAKE THIS ! I wish I read the reviews before taking this because everything is so true !"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 8, 2018

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I started taking Tri-Sprintec to clear up my acne. I’m 19 and in college and all I want right now is great skin. Tri-Sprintec has done the complete opposite for me. My acne is worse than its ever been before. I’ve only been on it for 2-3 months, but the only time my acne begins to clear up is during placebo week. It has been an extremely irritating experience. Not only has it caused terrible breakouts, but it also makes me feel heavier. It’s be a terrible experience. I would not recommend this pill to anyone."

bnp98 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 28, 2017

Tri-Linyah (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I have been using tri-linyah birth control for over 2 years now and I like it a lot. There are some pros and cons like with any medication. For my acne, it works SUPER well. I used to have horrible uncontrolled acne and this I wouldn’t say “cleared” up my skin, but definitely keeps it under control. I have one pimple here and there but definitely not when I used to have breakouts all over my face off the birth control. It keeps my periods light and my cramps to a minimum. The only downside and I don’t know if this is just a personal problem, are my mood swings. I get super super depressed around when my periods supposed to start and I think the birth control heightens my emotions"

HH17 December 27, 2017

Estarylla (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I’m going to go on a rant. This is terrible. Never have liked this at all. I had clear and perfect skin before taking this and now my skin is breaking out like never before. Also mood swings and emotions are out of control. I feel like I’ve also experienced a little bit of weight gain because my appetite increased with this stuff so that’s also something to be weary of. I’m switching after this. Avoid this birth control if you can."

Taylor Jackson (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 21, 2017

"I’ve been on this pill for a week now! Switched from velivet to this one and velivet is a low hormone birth control! Velivet did nothing good for my skin so I went to my dr and she prescribed this to regulate my hormonal acne which I would get in my t zone. I would get about 3 chin cysts a month! And it’s been a week with no new breakouts (this never happens) don’t let the comments discourage you! Give this birth control a try if you have hormonal acne!! So far so good wish me luck!"

Tzone (taken for less than 1 month) December 18, 2017

"I have been taking mononessa for my acne. I no longer have tiny pimples all over my face, which is pretty good, but I now have all over my chin, deep, painful, large, and very visible acne. Not related to acne, my cramps are reduced, and my period is very regular now, except I used to never spot, and now I have spotting quite often."

LP17 December 3, 2017

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I went on trinesa to regulate my periods and help with acne I would get around my period. My dermatologist prescribed it to me so I never thought it would make my skin worse but it did. I got severe cystic acne all around my checks, jawline and neck. I did it for three months. When my acne got really bad in month two I saw a dermatologist and she said to stay on it for three months and if my breakouts were still bad then to get off it. So now I’ve been off it for about a week and my acne is the worst it has ever been. My skin was completely clear during the summer and now it is so severe I never want to leave my apartment. My dermatologist now thinks I’ll need to go on accutane to fix what trinessa did to my skin. WOULD NOT RECOMMEND"

AshleyAcne December 1, 2017

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I broke out on this pill for 4 months straight. My acne was way worse that how it was before I started the birth control pill. I got the acne so horribly the first week of starting the birth control. And then, I would get at least two pimples a day; on my cheeks and jaw. The pimples were really big and they would hurt so badly. Once the pimples went down, it left my face with horrible acne scars that I've been trying to clear up for the past month. The pimples would only clear up around my placebo pill week. So when I was on my monthly cycle, my face was beautiful and clear. It's been a month with out the Tri-Sprintec and my skin has cleared up tremendously. I am back confident!!!"

Stay away from this pill!!!!! (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 1, 2017

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I am just starting my third pack of this birth control and it has not been a fun experience at all. I've gotten headaches every single day, gained weight due to an increased appetite, and my acne has gotten worse. I used to get minor breakouts leading up to my period, but now I get 2-3 new cystic acne spots nearly everyday. The only time my acne calms down is during the placebo week. I am going to finish this third pack and see what happens but if nothing changes I am definitely switching. As of right now would definitely NOT recommend this birth control."

sydddddddd November 20, 2017

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "Used for a month or two. Gave me terrible migraines daily, along with irritability and nausea. I didn’t notice any difference in my acne."

Jett. November 15, 2017

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I have been on trinessa for almost 2 years now and I haven't had any problems with it. I gained some weight at beginning but not too much. I started using it for acne and then was also using it for birth control and both work great for me. Recently I started getting a little acne back but I'm pretty sure its because of stress. Overall, does the job well."

Rachelllllll November 5, 2017

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I used to only get a pimple here and there on my cheeks. When I started Tri-Sprintec my acne got significantly worse. I was getting deep cystic zits all over my cheeks. After 3 months or so my acne calmed down but it was still worse than before. A year later and my acne is still worse than when I started the medication but I'm terrified to go off of it because I'm scared of the breakout that will happen when I go off of it. Wish I never started taking it, it's ruining my life."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 5, 2017

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 4, 2017

Tri-Linyah (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I just started taking this. I am now on week 4 and it is bitter sweet so far. My period has been abnormal (about 2 years without a period) and my doc prescribed this pill to me. It's "sweet" because I got my period. Not too light and not too heavy. However, there are a lot of "bitter" sides. For 1 week, I felt really nauseous. Also, I barely have acne on my face before, but after taking these pills I developed small acne all over. It looks like chicken pox all over my face. I will continue to try this for 2 more months. If the problems persist, I'm going to ask doc to prescribe me something else."

Kc Ren (taken for less than 1 month) November 1, 2017

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "Trinessa really worked well for me. I have PCOS and have always had really irregular periods. Trinessa fixed my irregular periods and cleared up my acne in about 3-4 months. I also have noticed that my mood swings have decreased since starting the medication."

Kschaefz October 16, 2017

Tri-Linyah (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "Horrible!!! This birth control pills caused me to have an upset stomach every day. Then came the mood swings and emotional episodes. And it also caused me to have severe anxiety attacks so I quit taking it."

Britt278 (taken for less than 1 month) October 14, 2017

"Background on my skin type: Asian with oily skin. Prior to Tri-Sprintec, I had large pores and I would get cystic acne every time I broke out. I noticed a great improvement in my over all skin and complexion on this pill, I also never broke out other than around my period. I am currently on Microgestin (I stopped taking the pill for a couple of years and my new doctor prescribed me this birth control instead) and it’s causing really bad cystic acne all over my cheeks and chin. I definitely recommend Tri Sprintec over Microgestin."

Lan Thy October 5, 2017

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "Not sexually active, so I can't tell how it helps in pregnancy prevention. It did stop spotting in between periods, but it destroyed my skin. Particularly along my jawline (jawline acne is typically hormonal), my skin broke out the entire duration of using Trinessa. It was the hard, painful acne that left behind dark marks when they had run their course. I stayed on the pill for three months to make sure it was a the pill causing the acne, and it was. During the placebo pill week when you get your period, my skin would clear up. Until I had to start the pill again, that is. Beyond that, my emotions were so out of whack on this pill that I was constantly on the verge of tears when I am a silly, easygoing girl who is extremely positive."

ARW2017D (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 2, 2017

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "Please please read !!!! When I was younger my skin was good I would get a pimple here and there as a common teen, but later I broke out not bad don't get me wrong but I broke out on my cheeks, a lot on my forehead. I would have tiny skin coloured bumps , they would go and come back here and there , so my cheeks I usually have got like at least 6 zits on them , my skin is soft but I have red spots all over my checks. Anyway so let's get into tri sprintec I had gone to my Dermatologist and he prescribed me some ointment and some sensitive skin facial cleanser and now I had been prescribed tri sprintec and let me tell you worst experience EVER!! I only last 2 days !!! Headaches and vomiting ! Lost 12 p"

Sofia527 September 26, 2017

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I was on orthotricyclen which really cleared my skin but my new doctor decided to switch Bc on me to trinessa and I've been getting more than the typical one or two on my cheeks. And I never break out on my forehead but I started to with trinessa. Trinessa is horrible in helping acne!!"

Annoyed. September 22, 2017

"I have been on this pill for a year and switched to another pill this month. I was mainly on this pill to get rid of my bad acne. Acne on my back, chest, thighs, and neck went away but on my face it was inconsistent. I had the most clear skin on the sugar pills week and the first 3 weeks were bad puss filled acne on my forehead chin and lower cheeks which left me with scars and really dry skin. I was also very irritable with my family and boyfriend :( Besides that, it was actually a good pill. my periods were normal and came at the same time every month, no cramping, no weight gain, and most importantly i'm not pregnant! Acne is a big factor in my depression so i chose to switch."

Rachelina (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 1, 2017