User Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate

Also known as: Estarylla, Femynor, Mili, Mono-Linyah, Mononessa, Ortho Cyclen, Ortho Tri-Cyclen, Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo, Previfem, Sprintec, Tri Femynor, Tri-Estarylla, Tri-Linyah, Tri-Lo-Estarylla, Tri-Lo-Marzia, ...show all 22 brand names

Learn more about Ethinyl estradiol/norgestimate.

Ethinyl estradiol/norgestimate Rating Summary

6.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 440 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol/norgestimate to treat Acne

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I started taking this for acne in high school. The first 2 months, my acne got worse, then after that it totally cleared up. I was so much more confident. I now take it as birth control. Over the past 4 months, I have noticed that I have been was more moody. I will cry over anything and get mad over the smallest things. I'm also always really tired. I did go to my doctor and she asked if I was okay on trinessa because lots of women have really bad mood swings while on it. I was okay then but it definitely has gotten way worse and I'm thinking about switching."

A2yrs April 24, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Tri-Linyah (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I have been taking TRI-LINYAH for a few months. Prior to this pill I had completely clear skin, and HORRIBLE periods!!! Now it's the opposite my face is covered in acne but my periods are AMAZING.. I'm kind of disappointed about the fact I have to choose clear skin over painless periods."

Taylor Michelle April 22, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Estarylla (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "This pill gave me a terrible hormone imbalance and made me break out terribly (never had a serious problem with acne). It gave me terrible cystic acne and scarring. Although this pill was not for me, everyone's body will react differently to the hormones."

Anonymous April 22, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I took this pill for my acne, and with that said, it worked wonders! My skin cleared up, I gained no weight, no moodiness. HOWEVER - this medication gave me blood clots in my lungs 19 days after I started taking them. I ALMOST DIED BECAUSE OF THIS MEDICATION. My life is forever changed with anxiety, depression, and pain all because of these pills. I have chest pain almost every day. I have anxiety every day, with very bad anxiety attacks. PLEASE READ THE INSERTS. The nurse that gave me the pills DID NOT WARN ME THAT BLOOD CLOTS WERE A RISK. If I hadn't read the inserts, I would not have known that I had to go to the hospital. I was in the hospital in the ICU for THREE DAYS. It was a $30k hospital bill."

BloodClotsInMyLungs April 5, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I always had acne around periods but after I had my son it got severe. So much so that it left scars from inflammation that would make one zit into a pea sized bump deep under my skin that was painful and caused anxiety, depression and so on. After seeing a Dermatoligist he prescribed a combo of 3 to combat it. The tri sprintec to regulate hormones, a light topical antibiotic lotion clyndomicin I think and a year of doxycycline antibiotics. It took time but after the antibiotics took care of the infection with this pill it seemed to prevent acne. My reason for thinking this is the only time it's gotten bad again is after running out and going a month without or an occasional pimple during the placebo week. Overall it helped a great deal..."

Sarha85 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 5, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "So far, I have had a lot of my acne clear up but I have also been using tea tree (which I was using before I broke out and decided to get on Birth Control) so I think it has helped there. I will say that after the first week, I have been bleeding ever since so I am thinking I will give this Trinessa Lo 3 months to figure itself out and if my skin isn't better I am going to let it go."

Beaux!1 (taken for less than 1 month) April 4, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I'm so mad I started taking this I used to have perfect skin now my forehead is broke out and nothing seems to be working to clear it up . Needless to say I have stopped taking it I only was taking it for 3 weeks and the constant bleeding and acne I just had to stop I would not recommend this."

So mad April 1, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I was on this pill for 4 months and half. I didn't finish the last month because I COULD NOT stand the way I was feeling anymore. I had constant mood swings and was irritated basically all the time. My acne got worse even after having been on the pill for 4 months already. I switched now to a progesterine-only pill because I was having terrible migraines as well."

Pcamii_ March 31, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I've had terrible acne for as long as I can remember, always around my chin and cheek area. I felt so horrible about myself and finally went to the doctor and was put on Ortho Tri-Cyclen. It definitely did not work right away, but I did enjoy the light periods. I'd say after three of four months my acne started clearing beautifully, and I've been on the pill ever since. No weight gain, or mood swings. I felt like my normal self. Although, Maybe two months ago I forgot to get a refill and it took a while to get it so I obviously wasn't taking it for a week or two and my acne went crazy again! I also started to experience mood swings and was very tired. (for anybody thinking about stopping)"

lanah March 26, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "This bc nearly killed me. I had Terrible migraines once I started this Rx, ultimately was helicoptered to the nearest big city hospital and suffered a hemiplegic migraine, with stroke like symptoms.This bc is poison. I gave this a 1 rating because 0 was not an option. If you are taking tri sprintec, STOP. You don't even know the damage this is causing you, blood clots, strokes. Stop taking this bc now!!"

IzzyAl March 25, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "about to start my 4th month on this pill. mainly went on this pill for acne but not much improvement. Especially around the week of my period, all hell breaks loose. thankfully the period itself only lasts 3-4 days now and its fairly light. no weight gain, slight increase in breast size, no stomach pains, no hair loss. I am pretty emtional now tho, I cry at every sad video I see and every little thing seems to set me off. also, whenever I lay down, my left arm and leg goes slightly numb"

qwejioudsf4 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 25, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I've been on Tri Sprintec for 8 months. I started taking it because my previous birth control, Aubra (aka Lutera, Alesse, many more), gave me cystic acne and oily skin for the first time in my life. Tri Sprintec has not helped me. I thought it would definitely get rid of the oily skin (it made it worse) and at least the small pimples (it gave me MORE all over my forehead). I have 5 more days of Tri Sprintec left and after that, I'm going to try to go off birth control altogether. I never had acne before I went on BC so we will see what happens. I also read that generic OTC makes acne worse, so maybe consider paying extra for brand name OTC if acne is your main concern. Good luck!"

kellysokola March 7, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I've been on BC for about a month and I have horrible acne on my jawline and forehead that doesn't go away for a while. I have bad mood swings and easily irritated and angry since I've started."

taylorw February 27, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "This medication definitely reacts differently for everyone. This is my ninth birth control I've been on in my life. I used to get cystic acne terribly on my face and every birth control has had a different side effect for me. This one has been pretty bad. I no longer have terrible cystic acne on my face, but now it has appeared all over my back. Also, if you are taking depression medication, I really don't recommend. This has absolutely made me more depressed and I've also gained a lot of weight after almost 3 months of it. I think the pill makes me need to emotional eat."

Livmich February 26, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

TriNessa Lo (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I had very bad cystic acne that was worse during my cycle. I tried oral antibiotics and they were somewhat effective but I still had issues around my cycle and they are not for long term use. So I started this and halfway through the second pack/month my skin was completely smooth and pimple/ whitehead free. I could not be happier. When I first started taking this I had a very bad breakout, but by the time I hit the third week of the first pack my skin started to improve. My hyper-pigmentation that was left behind is getting better since I am not having any new breakouts. I was worried that this generic would not be as effective as the name-brand OTC-Lo, but it is great and free on my insurance!!!"

Magnificent1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 25, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I started typing out a long saga but ran out of character space so long story short: Wore the Ortho-evra patch back in high school, worked great, got rid of my moderate acne. Fast forward to now, dermatologist prescribed Ortho tri cyclen for my acne (it's come back since quitting previous birth control).. Been on this STUPID pill for 2 months ALONG WITH spironolactone AND minocyclin and it's turned my moderate white heads into gross, painful cystic acne and I'm getting married in 4 months and do not have a year to wait it out. My self esteem and sanity are not worth waiting on this pill to work. Switching back to the patch today. I'm giving it 2 stars because maybe if I waited it out it would work but bride-to-be ain't got time for that ✌"

NOTFORME (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 23, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I went on Ortho Tri-Cyclen for about a year & I can honestly say my face cleared up tremendously. The only downside was that I experienced crazy emotions & mood swings. I unfortunately ran out & wasn't able to refill my prescription for a couple weeks. As soon as I went back on it & for the past year I've had the worst acne I've ever had. Cystic as well as scarring I've never experienced. I tried to stick it out to see if I would get the results that I had when I first took it but it hasn't gotten any better.. I'm now switching to Gianvi & hoping this will make my acne better."

Nanni9 February 8, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "Ortho tri cycles saved my face! I've dealt with cystic acne flare ups for years. I experienced HUGE cysts that would distort my face. I've tried EVERYTHING to rid myself of them (even did a round of accutane 10 years ago) but they persistently return. 7 months ago I switched from Alesse to and it's made an incredible difference. The first 4 months were really rough (I broke out A LOT but noticed the cysts were actually coming to a head and draining for the first time ever). I almost gave up out of frustration but I'm glad I stuck it out. My face has been totally manageable, just the small NORMAL occasional pimple around my period. No weight gain, no mood swings, no adverse effects. Also loving the shorter, lighter, less painful periods"

CanadianGirl27 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 27, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Estarylla (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "The first two months of use, I broke out bad. I read reviews that said this might happen as it's balancing everything out. I stuck with it. 14 months in and I'm a happy girl. Little to no cramping (used to be quite severe) 3-4 days of light bleeding and my skin is so happy! Occasionally get a pimple or two but absolutely no more cystic acne! My moods are balanced and haven't experienced weight gain. I didn't experience any nausea or abnormal pain. I'm 37 and this is the right pill for me."

Blsd555 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 25, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I just finished my first month on this pill and so far so good. I was on Tarina fe 1/20 but it broke me out HORRIBLY so my doc switched me to trinessa. No weight gain, no stomach pains, no increase in acne AND no baby. Hopefully in a few months it'll clear my skin. A lot of ppl are saying this pill made them gain weight, I actually lost some & my boobs got a teeny bit fuller (not much tho). Without ins I pay $20 per pack at PP."

woonie12345 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 22, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I'm 18 and have had pretty awful acne since I was 12. My doctor prescribed Tri-Sprintec mainly for the acne, but also for period regulation and birth control. In the 2 weeks I've been taking it, I haven't experienced any of the mood swings or breast tenderness/growth that others have. I've gained a few pounds, but I'm home from college and so eating poorly and not exercising, so I can't really blame that on the birth control. My acne has gotten 10 times worse since starting, with lots of breakouts on my forehead, chin, and around my mouth which used to be completely clear. As frustrating as it is, I'll stick with it for a few months and hope that my body adjusts and the acne clears up!"

Still Hopeful (taken for less than 1 month) January 18, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I started taking Tri-Sprintec to treat acne, and I just finished my first pack. My acne has always been moderate, but after a couple days of the pill, I had a HUGE flare, but then it went back down to normal after a week or so (Normal for me being 2-6 new zits every morning and every night). But, I know it will take 3-6 months for it to regulate my body, so I'll be patient and wait. I will comment and say that it did have a few negative side effects. I started to get headaches, later in the night. I'm very irritable, tired, and down. I gained a little weight, but nothing that bugs me that much. I'm not recommending against this pill as I've only been on it for a month, and everyone's body is different. Just be prepared and wait, they say."

Samantha2016 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 13, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "This is my very first time taking Ortho Tri-Cyclen, and I love it! I asked my doctor for a good birth control pill that worked with acne, cramps, and periods so she suggested this! At first I thought about switching because my acne got terrible, (worse than ever) and I didn't have a period for 2 months. I gave my body sometime on it and turns out this pill is amazing! I no longer deal with bad acne or acne at all! During my time of month I will get a couple pimples but nothing to dramatic! I'm also using Clinique acne solutions face wash, toner, mosturizer and mask. IF YOU ARE WANTING TO SWITCH PLEASE DON'T. Let your body get used to the pill before you act on it. I am on month 2 and periods last 2-3 days, and I hardly ever get acne!"

kay8924 January 5, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "Terrible pill. It was recommended to me FOR my acne and made it worse. Also, be ready to cry ALL THE TIME for no reason at all."

Anonymous January 4, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I have cystic acne which isn't awful but this pill made it a lot worse. I tried a lot of different acne products and treatments and none worked so I've tried 2 birth control pills to help, this being my second try. I followed my doctors advice to give it at least 6 months and it has only made my acne worse. It is redder, more painful, and a lot deeper than before, and it has spread all over my face and become splotchy. I also get a lot of fevers and awful cramps all throughout the month. I also use birth control pills to stop my periods. The first day I went on it I got my period (it was awful and lasted 14 days). Now I keep getting them so it's not working. Don't let my experience sway you too much but unfortunately it just dosen't work."

Snowpaw (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 2, 2017