User Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate

Also known as: Estarylla, Femynor, Mili, Mono-Linyah, Mononessa, Ortho Cyclen, Ortho Tri-Cyclen, Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo, Previfem, Sprintec, Tri-Estarylla, Tri-Linyah, Tri-Lo-Estarylla, Tri-Lo-Marzia, Tri-Lo-Sprintec, ...show all 20 brand names

Learn more about Ethinyl estradiol/norgestimate.

Ethinyl estradiol/norgestimate Rating Summary

6.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 430 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol/norgestimate to treat Acne

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I've been taking tri-sprintec for 6 or 7 months. I started it with hopes of it getting rid of my moderate acne. I rarely got cystic acne, but my face ALWAYS had zits and I would break out around my period and even worse when I was stressed. Now I still have acne, but it isn't nearly as bad as it was before; I also don't notice much of a change in my skin when I get stressed. So it didn't exactly work how I hoped it would, but it IS helping some. The first month that I started tri-sprintec was pretty awful. I was nauseous for four weeks straight- from the time I woke up to the time I went to sleep. I've gained a little bit (5lbs) of weight and noticed that my breasts have grown (or are always swollen)."

glubbbbb (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 23, 2016

"I cannot begin to explain the horrible experience I had on this pill. I was put on it to control my mild hormonal acne and cramps as well. After two weeks of taking it I stopped, with 8 new cysts on my face (never had cystic acne). The morning after my first pill I woke up with cold sweats. I had a constant headache and mood swings, and spent most of my time in bed from the fatigue. I switched to this medication from lo loestrin, but now I regret it! Only made my acne worse!"

LightningLexie (taken for less than 1 month) August 19, 2016

Tri-Previfem (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I was told that birth control can take up to 3 full months to start working for acne & 4-6 months to see full results. I started to notice my skin clearing around 2.5 months. It's been almost 3.5 months now and my skin is 99% clear of active breakouts. This is the first birth control I have ever used and I have not had any negative side effects from this at all. The only reason I am not giving it a 10 is because it has not helped regulate the oil production on my face at all, but you can't win them all. Overall I am very happy with this pill and can't wait to see how my skin continues to improve."

Kelbell88 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 8, 2016

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I was taking Ortho-Tri cycles Lo for many years. I don't recall having any problems. Up until last year, for some reason my prescription changed to TriNessa because it was the "generic" version of Ortho. I went back to the doctors to get a refill last month and they put me on another generic brand this time of TriNessa. Within the first week of taking it I was getting bad migraines. The second and third week I was feeling nauseous all day with also bad stomach pain. I noticed I was feeling depressed and unmotivated. One thing that scared me was my mood swings. I wasn't aware of it at all until my boyfriend said I went from being happy to irritable within minutes. After not even a full month of taking this pill, I will be switching."

Anonymous August 4, 2016

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "Im 14 year old girl & I'm on ortho tri cyclen (which is basically the same thing just cheaper) it's been 2 months & it's been the same.. hasn't gotten any better. I have tiny little pimples on my forehead WHICH HAS NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE. And more breakouts on my cheeks. But I haven't gave the medication enough time, I'm gonna give it 1-2 more months like people/Doctor are saying & report back.!! Side note: drink a lot of water, workout, eat healthy, sleep well, and change pillow cases. Don't touch face, stick to a routine, don't put 10000 products on your face, try not to stress, and smile more. ( if you already do all of the above then your acne is hormonal and its out of control like mine.. Which is why I started taking birth control"

sarah789 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 28, 2016

Tri-Estarylla (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "Absolutely HORRIBLE! My pharmacy switched me over from Tri-Pravafram, which was working very well for me. I was told this medication was "exactly the same" as the Tri-P...Lies. Within one week, I had had two acne cysts near my mouth. This never happened to me. Two weeks later, my entire face was covered in cysts and painful whiteheads..my forehead and chin/jawline took the worst beating. I didn't really connect the medication to my issue since the pharmacist had assured me this drug was identical to what I was on before until about 3 months later. I switched pharmacies, and got on Tri-Sprintec and everything cleared up within a month."

Gizmo22 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 28, 2016

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I have had acne for quite some time so I decided to start ortho. It's only been 3 days in and I have so many extra pimples on my face all over, and huge pimples at that. I'm hoping it will clear as its starting to get into my system but so far I'm dreading starting this pill and am thinking I need to just stop as it is not helping my self esteem or my skin what so ever....I have more scars which take so much time to heal/ lighten. Unhappy"

Anonymous adult July 27, 2016

Tri-Previfem (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "Well I said I would be back :) I check this too much anyway! I'm now on my second month about to start my third week tomorrow. I am pretty sure my body noticed that I was going on a higher dose of estrogen because I broke out. I have been broken out around the cheeks but I just broke out on my forehead :'( the biggest thing about this medicine is the depression and even bigger the anxiety. I still have sex drive... but my anxiety is unbearable!!! I can't think straight. I can't relax even though I try. I'm staying on it obviously seeing as it hasn't even been 3 months yet and I would do just about anything to have acne not a problem. I start school in the second week of August.. please wish me luck!"

Laurenxo July 23, 2016

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I went back on birth control hoping to alleviate some of my acne (I'm 26) and the first month of being on Trinessa was terrible – headaches, nausea, heartburn – and now that I'm nearing the end of the second month I'm experiencing weight gain all over – I can't fit into my bras, my waist is thicker, etc. and the acne is still present, although slightly better. I'm calling my doctor to see about switching brands."

Lou26 July 22, 2016

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I started taking Tri-Sprintec because I developed horrible acne all over my face. Now, almost 2 years later, skin has improved dramatically. I don't get hormonal acne anymore around my mouth and on my chin. However, I STILL get acne, much less, but I still constantly have at least a few on my face. And if I stop using my acne cream, I break out all over. So, birth control helps, but it isn't the cure for my acne. But, the side effects are so horrible, that I've decided to quit. The side effects I am POSITIVE are from Tri-sprintec (through a process of elimination) include constant postnasal drip (phlegm, clearing throat, stuffy nose, plugged and popping ears), really bad sore throat, nausea (even a year later), stomach aches, and dry throat"

krokuuu July 19, 2016

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I've had cystic acne since the beginning of college. I've been on Orthotricyclen Lo, Tri-Previfem (generic orthotricyclen), Beyaz, and now I'm currently on Tri-Sprintec. The orthotricyclen LO helped a little with my acne, but I still had a lot of breakouts. I was on it for around a year. I then switched to tri-previfem, which worked great for me (no side effects whatsoever) It helped regulate my period really well too. I was on it for around 2 and a half years and my acne started coming back. A different doctor switched me over to Beyaz since she said my body was used to the Tri-Previfem. I was on Beyaz for 7 months, but noticed many problems such as weight gain (I gained 8 lbs) and moodiness. I switched to Tri-Sprintec and works great."

kvo July 15, 2016

Tri-Estarylla (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I've been on this birth control for my acne. And my experience has been really bad. Within the first couple days my forehead has broken out terribly there's a ton of little bumps a crossed it. I usually never get pimples on my forehead. I started also breaking out around my mouth. I hardly get acne there maybe a little. My jaw breaks out really bad. This gave me major anxiety to be in public. I hate going out on dates Bc of my face. Although my face looks terrible it kinda helped clear up my shoulders and chest. It definitely made my chest break out more but slowly cleared up. But , my face being so bad I am now switching to the big guns of acne control. Can't wait to see those results."

Sisbug (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 13, 2016

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "So, I am only within my first month and this is SCARY. I have always had bad acne, but within this first month it has made it worse. The kind of cystic acne I get now, I cannot get rid of as soon as I used to be able to. Most pimples would go away for about a week and these have lasted for a month almost. I am also starting to take tretinoin and doxycycline in addition to the birth control because I feel so hopeless. Please, someone tell me this is supposed to happen? You know? Worse before better? Thanks."

TylerR123 (taken for less than 1 month) July 11, 2016

Tri-Previfem (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I know everyone is different, but I was on this bc it really helped my acne right away. I do have one small pimple once in awhile but no big deal. I love this bc."

Whitestar July 9, 2016

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "No problems with effectiveness of the contraceptive in terms of pregnancy. However, I broke out all over my face with acne for the first time in my life and I'm 23. I've also had heightened feelings of depression and anxiety that I've never experienced before since taking Trinessa Lo."

Anonymous June 27, 2016

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I started TriNessa Lo almost 2 months ago because I want to clear my acne. During the first month I didn't see any improvement. In fact I think that it even got worse. During the second month my face started clearing up. I am experiencing some side effects but I plan to continue to stay on the pill, hoping that my body will get used to it, and the side effects will fade away. My period was very light, and I experienced less cramping than before taking the pill. Some side effects: I feel depressed during the first week (while I'm on the white pills), and then this goes away, then my breasts get HUGE and hurt a lot. I can not stand moving without wearing bras. The tenderness and pain are awful."

Dess Farro (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 24, 2016

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I rated this Trinessa Low with five stars because this is my first month on the medication. When taking the pill I did not experience any mood swings, dizziness, or sickness. I felt great...the ok only problem was that my face broke out like a pizza! I was on the shot 6 months prior to the pill and had very minimal acne. I'm hoping that if I stick with it, the acne will subside and I will be happy with the overall results!"

Shimah (taken for less than 1 month) June 19, 2016

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I switched from Yasmin to tri-cyclen because my acne was so bad. I'm 26 years old and have been on some type of birth control since I was 18. I have had the worst experience of my life being on tri-cyclen. I was on it for a few months until I started to have very severe panic attacks. I didn't know what it was until after a few months of going through this hell I stopped the pills. As soon as I stopped them I haven't had a bad panic attack like that since and it's been 8 months."

Melissa353 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 17, 2016

"I was put on Sprintec in order to control my acne. It wasn't too bad until about the third week of my first pack. I began bleeding, and it wasn't spotting, more like a full on period. This lasted for 2 weeks. My periods have become much heavier, & my cramps are worse than before. As for my acne, it has gotten considerably worse. I am on my third pack, & I am completely unhappy with this pill."

B101 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 16, 2016

Tri-Previfem (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I'm on my second day. My skin was really clearing up. It has a few more pimples on it now. I'm very upset because I want my skin to be perfect before I start high school. I hope it starts to work! Will keep posted."

Laurenxo June 13, 2016

Tri-Previfem (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I am starting my 4th month on this birth control today. I was originally on aviane for 3 months but it broke my face out horribly, so my doctor switched me to this. At first the results were not good but by the end of my third month using Tri-previfem my face was clearer than it had been in months! Flawless actually. Give it time if you're using this birth control to clear up acne. By the end of month 3 I was delighted with my results!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 13, 2016

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "HORRIBLE!! I swear this ruined my relationship because it made me so crazy. The depression I experienced on this pill was unreal. I normally break out a little bit here and there on my cheeks and this pill made my skin absolutely AWFUL! my once totally clear and smooth forehead was covered in blackheads and cystic pimples. It also gave me cystic acne around my mouth and chin and some big red pustules on my cheeks. This pill literally ruined my life."

sashalove (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 11, 2016

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I've been on this medication for 6 months already and my skin is worse than before taking it. I'm have suffered from acne for 17 years, but I had not had any breakouts on my forehead for a long time until I got on this pill. I won't even talk about my chin because it's terrible. I really feel frustrated because I have spent thousands of dollars trying to find a solution for my chronic acne and I have not been successful. I've tried antibiotics, ointments, scrubs, etc... my last resource was this pill and it didn't work."

Sonia3039 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 22, 2016

Tri-Linyah (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I started taking this pill about a year ago and I LOVE it. I originally went on it for sever acne and it completely cleared up. I read all this stuff about people gaining weight but I've maintained the same weight I've had for 3 years now. Also I haven't got pregnant which is the most important thing!"

Kayla49289 May 13, 2016

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I started taking this because my cycle was every 23 days and I heard that it could help with acne too. I never had bad acne just one or two on my chin the week prior to my period. But after taking this my acne is worse than it has ever been. I've been getting cystic acne all over my cheeks and chin. And the worst part is that they severely scarred my skin and I never scarred before taking birth control. I've heard that in the first few months it can get worse before it gets better but I'm on my 9th month and it just continues to get worse. But I do like that it completely regulated my period to a 28 day cycle. I've decided to switch to a lower hormone birth control to see if that will help the acne subside."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 1, 2016