User Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate

Also known as: Estarylla, Femynor, Mili, Mono-Linyah, Mononessa, Ortho Cyclen, Ortho Tri-Cyclen, Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo, Previfem, Sprintec, Tri Femynor, Tri-Estarylla, Tri-Linyah, Tri-Lo-Estarylla, Tri-Lo-Marzia, ...show all 22 brand names

Learn more about Ethinyl estradiol/norgestimate.

Ethinyl estradiol/norgestimate Rating Summary

6.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 402 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol/norgestimate to treat Acne

"I have been on this pill for a year and switched to another pill this month. I was mainly on this pill to get rid of my bad acne. Acne on my back, chest, thighs, and neck went away but on my face it was inconsistent. I had the most clear skin on the sugar pills week and the first 3 weeks were bad puss filled acne on my forehead chin and lower cheeks which left me with scars and really dry skin. I was also very irritable with my family and boyfriend :( Besides that, it was actually a good pill. my periods were normal and came at the same time every month, no cramping, no weight gain, and most importantly i'm not pregnant! Acne is a big factor in my depression so i chose to switch."

Rachelina (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Estarylla (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I read a whole ton of bad reviews on this, specifically the side effects, but so far I have had no side effects. My friend stopped taking BC because the nausea (I have no idea which brand/type) so I was iffy but so far I love it! It's cleared my terrible ance problem almost fully. My periods are like they always have been, a day or two longer, but I think thats because I stopped working out as much. I would give it a 10 but I've not taken the drug that long to truly know."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "Let's start off saying that medications work different for everybody. Personally it has not been bad for me like all of these other reviews. The first couple of weeks I did have mood swings, I was debating on stopping trinessa Lo, but I said maybe just my hormones need to regulate. Well they regulated. I started taking this birth control so I can stop getting hormonal break outs mid cycle. My acne wasn't horrible, I really just had oily skin and and a few cystic bumps that would leave red marks that looked ugly to me. I probably would get 7 a month? Something like that. Well the first 3 months I broke out a little more than usual. I had about 10 bumps on one cheek. On my 4th month and my skin is crystal clear!"

Bibiiii August 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Estarylla (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I took this birth control to clear my skin after the reaction I had from my previous pill. My skin cleared up in about a month. I've had amazing skin... but I've always had a terrible period, two missed periods, the worst migraine of my life and my hair is falling out. I wanted to give this pill a chance so bad but this is the worst pill I've ever had and trust me I've tried many!! Trust the reviews & don't bother"

Gia2744 August 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started this exactly a week ago and it's making me break out HORRIBLY, I truly do not know what to do :( it's my first time ever being on BC, and I've read stuff saying to wait it out and it'll clear my skin in 3 months but I don't think I can wait that long. It's really embarrassing, I've always had issues with acne but NEVER this bad and it's only been a week!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I took this pill for 3 months, and I got acne after 6 days of the first pack. It never cleared up completely until after I stopped taking the pill. It would clear up a little during the placebo week. I've never had a problem with hormonal acne, and I broke out over my shoulders, and chin significantly. It was extremely embarrassing,"

Tommieeee August 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

TriNessa Lo (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "Okay honestly I'm not sure how well this has worked in terms of combating my acne. I started in December and ever since then I've had a mixture of AMAZING skin days but also a few bad breakouts of cystic acne (currently me right now). I honestly don't really know how to rate this because I think it has helped in some ways but it's hard to tell. I also went on minocycline recently which previously helped a lot but this time I went on it I think it broke me out even more?? Anyways thats my experience so far I'll stay on it to see if it gets better even though I've been on it quite a while"

Ruby Wilson July 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been using this pill for almost a year. I am 28 and have had cystic acne the last couple years. My topical prescription wasn't working as well anymore so I decided to try birth control along with it. This has kept my cystic acne to about 1 pustule a month, which is a huge improvement. Although I have been using this and a topical medicine for my acne, it hasn't stopped the occasional breakout on my back. It's frustrating that it's not perfect but it's doing it's job. I also recently got married and am not pregnant! So it's doing 2 jobs."

Acne survivor July 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I was on the mini pill for about a year and really didn't mind it at all. However I was weaning my baby and had some breaking out so wanting to try the regular pill instead as recommended by my doctor. One month in and so far it is TERRIBLE. I get terrible cramps now, nausea all day, headaches and my emotions are out of wack! I already have slight depression and anxiety, this pill made it SO much worse. My acne is the worst it's been since I first had my daughter especially around my jawline. I am going to give it two more packs and then switch to something else."

Jessilynn (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "Just finished my 3rd month, and I have not experienced any side effects besides a tiny bit of weight gain. It cleared up most of my moderate acne. Do not be discouraged by the dozens of terrible reviews, I felt the same way before trying it."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on Sprintec for over a month now. I'm 18, this is my first birth control pill, and I was prescribed by my dermatologist. Ironically, my acne has actually worsened significantly since starting the pill. I have decided to switch to a different pill because the side effects are honestly unbearable. Sprintec has increased my appetite and resulted in weight gain. I am constantly hungry and never feel satisfied after eating. I have experienced increased depression, hair loss, and a longer period. My period averaged 4 days prior to taking Sprintec, and now it is 8-9 days. The only benefits to this pill are increased breast size and affordability."

weight gain, acne, depression (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I started taking this for acne about 3 months ago and it works great for that. I'm 18 and I have a 32B almost 32C bra size and I've always hated it! this medicine made my boobs grow almost a whole cup size!!! Which made me completely miserable."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"So I started this birth control to help with my periods and my acne, as both my dermatologist and doctor recommended it. The first three months my period got all messed up, from going from medium flow to kinda heavy. Then the next 6 months it was pretty light, with 3-4 days of light bleeding and one heavy day. But now, for the past 2 months its gone back to being heavier than usual. But I have noticed that it helps with the cramps, but my PMS sucks really bad & my anxiety has gotten really bad. My PMS usually consists of mood swings, bloating, and nausea. But if you are sexually active, make sure to take it the same time everyday!!!"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I switched to ortho tri cyclen from seasonique because I started getting acne. This completely cleared up my skin in a matter of weeks. However I ended up with break through bleeding for 2 weeks followed by a heavy period with painful cramps during the placebo week. It also got me extremely nauseous and dizzy. I'd rather have a little acne than have to deal with those side effects."

Lea333 June 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "For the past few years, five years to be exact, I have struggled with acne pretty badly. The beginning of this year (February) I decided to try and do something about it, I went to my nearby Planned Parenthood and got prescribed to Ortho Tri Cyclen. I went to my local pharmacy to pick up my pills only to see they had given me Tri Sprintec as it was moderately cheaper and "made of the same ingredients". I have not had many problems on this pill.. no weight gain, no cramps, no nausea... but my face... it got extremely worse. My entire right side of my cheek and my chin broke out in large patches of cystic acne.... only to have it clear up significantly during my placebo pill week... In fact I have heard many stories of the brand name/generic having extremely different affects on some people... so within the next few days I'm switching over to the brand name and hoping for the best."

Krislyn (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on Tricira Lo (generic brand) for 2 months. This is my first time on bcp and my reason was primarily to prevent pregnancy & reduce acne. During ovulation, I would always get a handful of pimples on my forehead. So far, there have been no significant improvements in my acne. I still get flare-ups, but now they occur during the 3rd & 4th (placebo) weeks. I'm hoping to see some results during my 3rd month on bcp. Otherwise, there have been no major side effects. I have had ~5lb weight gain, with some breast tenderness during the first month. Some increase in breast size, but I would say it's been less than 1 cup size. I was also very tearful during the first month, but that is no longer an issue."

AC25 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I've been on this pill for about 7 months-ish now. I went on it because condoms were too irritating for me and also because I had pretty bad acne. As a birthcontrol its great, my period is regular now for the first time in 24 years. Acne wise, its okay, my skin is MUCH better than before but its not 100% clear yet. I still break out here and there which I'm ok with, after struggling with severe acne for the past 13 years, 3-4 pimples a week is a walk in the park. After going on this pill I noticed I'm very emotional. I get upset very easily, I cry at sad videos, customers annoy the hell out of me, but I don't mind it too much. As far as side effects go they're all pretty mild and not as bad as I was expecting"

ytr6546 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "After experiencing moderate to severe acne breakouts for all 4 of my high school years, my doctor prescribed me to Lornya, AKA Yaz or Gianvi. Being on Lornya actually made my acne breakouts worse, I waited it out to see if it was an adjustment period, but after 10 months I had a conversation with my doctor. She was ready to put me on accutane, but my mom didn't want to settle for that, so she did some research. I tried ortho tri-cyclen. After 3 months, my swollen lesions slowly disappeared. It honestly was a miracle. I never believed I could be confident without makeup, but this pill changed my life! Going on this medication was one of the best decisions I have ever made and I would highly recommend it to anyone who struggles with acne. :)"

Reviewaccount333 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I've been taking TriNessa for about 3 years now, and I was prescribed Trinessa because I had a long history of moderate to severe acne. With my experience every new method of treating acne usually makes your skin worse before it gets better. For those quitting after a few months, I know the pain I've been there. But it took a solid 6 months to year before it worked for my acne. At 6 months my skin started to gradually clear, and after a whole year, I had 99% clear skin. It's been a miracle for me. You just have to be patient. If you are willing to wait that long, it's worth it. I wonder that if you've never had a history of moderate to severe acne, Trinessa might not be the best bc option."

ClearSkinSeeker (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I requested Ortho tri cyclen but my pharmacy gave me this since my insurance did not cover ortho tri cyclen. Anyway I went ahead and took this. It works as a contraceptive perfectly but this caused me horrible acne like I've never experienced in my life. Seriously, at first it was small bumps on my cheek but within an week they bursted into very irritated, red, sore, itchy pimples. I had only ever had like 2 pimples at a time on my face but this medication made me have more than 20 on one cheek and more than 30 on the other.. This pill obviously didn't work out for me. It may help for others in regards to acne but my experience was so bad I finished my 3rd months pack and stopped taking it."

abreeze210 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I've been on this pill for 3 months and 5 days and I want to die. My moderate acne has gotten worse. So bad that get big cystic pimples all over. I also have a bunch of white heads and my forehead is bumpy. My anger is out the roof and the first 2 months my boobs felt like they were going to fall off. I'm willing to stick it out to the 5th month but if not I will be getting off this pill"

Help me pls April 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I started taking this for acne in high school. The first 2 months, my acne got worse, then after that it totally cleared up. I was so much more confident. I now take it as birth control. Over the past 4 months, I have noticed that I have been was more moody. I will cry over anything and get mad over the smallest things. I'm also always really tired. I did go to my doctor and she asked if I was okay on trinessa because lots of women have really bad mood swings while on it. I was okay then but it definitely has gotten way worse and I'm thinking about switching."

A2yrs April 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tri-Linyah (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I have been taking TRI-LINYAH for a few months. Prior to this pill I had completely clear skin, and HORRIBLE periods!!! Now it's the opposite my face is covered in acne but my periods are AMAZING.. I'm kind of disappointed about the fact I have to choose clear skin over painless periods."

Taylor Michelle April 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Estarylla (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "This pill gave me a terrible hormone imbalance and made me break out terribly (never had a serious problem with acne). It gave me terrible cystic acne and scarring. Although this pill was not for me, everyone's body will react differently to the hormones."

Anonymous April 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took this pill for my acne, and with that said, it worked wonders! My skin cleared up, I gained no weight, no moodiness. HOWEVER - this medication gave me blood clots in my lungs 19 days after I started taking them. I ALMOST DIED BECAUSE OF THIS MEDICATION. My life is forever changed with anxiety, depression, and pain all because of these pills. I have chest pain almost every day. I have anxiety every day, with very bad anxiety attacks. PLEASE READ THE INSERTS. The nurse that gave me the pills DID NOT WARN ME THAT BLOOD CLOTS WERE A RISK. If I hadn't read the inserts, I would not have known that I had to go to the hospital. I was in the hospital in the ICU for THREE DAYS. It was a $30k hospital bill."

BloodClotsInMyLungs April 5, 2017