User Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate to treat Acne

Also known as: Sprintec, Estarylla, Tri-Sprintec, Mono-Linyah, Mili, Tri Femynor, Tri-Lo-Marzia, Tri-Lo-Estarylla, Tri-Lo-Sprintec, Tri-Linyah, Tri-Lo-Mili, Tri-Previfem, Tri-Estarylla, Femynor, VyLibra, Tri-Vylibra Lo Previfem Tri-VyLibra Tri-Mili Nymyo Tri-Nymyo …show all brand names

Ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate has an average rating of 5.5 out of 10 from a total of 453 ratings for the treatment of Acne. 40% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 37% reported a negative effect.

Ethinyl estradiol/norgestimate Rating Summary

5.5/10 average rating

Compare all 327 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate

Rhomier · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 10, 2019

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “I was worried about trying this birth control after reading reviews online, so I wanted to share my experience. I am on the second month of Tri Sprintec and haven't experienced a single side effect. Additionally, I have noticed my skin slowly but surely beginning to clear up.”

Ab · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 30, 2021

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “Initially I was scared of trying Tri-Sprintec just because of the terrible reviews I saw and my previous experiences with BC pills (nausea, depression, diarrhea). But this pill is awesome!! Apart from a few days of nausea and some initial breakouts, I had no mood swings, no weight gain. After the 2nd week my skin cleared up and my boobs got slightly bigger too!! All in all great birth control would 10/10 recommend”

Laur · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 6, 2019

Estarylla (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “Hey ladies from someone who is new to birth control- tried Yaz and legit almost had a meltdown and was super depressed and gained weight- Estarylla SAVED me - there is more eythinylestradiol and a different progestin (norgestimate) . I feel like my normal self. My skin is GLOWING. I didn’t gain a pound I’m actually losing weight. And I don’t have any headaches or nausea. I’m starting my 4th month now! It really is true that different birth controls work for different bodies. My body has always been extra messed up and extremely sensitive and odd. For some reason this pill, that everyone else hates, has been my savior!!! Anyone with cystic acne, PCOS and oily skin might wanna give this a shot. Don’t immediately rule it out”

Megs April 16, 2020

Estarylla (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “Hello everyone! I wanted to share my experience with this birth control so other can have some insight. Anyways, my body took A WHILE to get used to the BC, because I had never been on any kind before. My first month was constant spotting, and the next few had occasional spotting. My mood was a little more irritable for about 4 months, but not to the point that it was ridiculous. Around month 5, I started a strict diet that caused hormonal imbalance and I kinda got out of whack again... but in month 6 I’m great. My skin in GLOWING, more than ever before. My mood is normal again, and my period is regular. On this pill, I gained NO WEIGHT. I’m very active and it did not effect my appetite or physical activity. My sex drive is the same as well. During the first 3 months, my boobs were a bit swollen and slightly tender, but I didn’t mind. This medication has saved my face, and my confidence for that matter. I just had to get through the first few months of my body adapting.”

Ana · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 3, 2019

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “I am never one to post reviews anywhere, but I just had to for this drug for anyone out there who is still battling with acne. I’m in my mid 20s and suffered from acne for almost 3 years. I’ve tried everything and spent $$$ just to get rid of it. Birth control pills were prescribed by my derma, but the first brand that he gave me (Alesse) made me depressed, and way too emotional so I had to ditch that one. Tried to switch to another one but I’ve suffered way too many side effects, and tried two more before I landed on Ortho Tri-Cyclen. I’m on my 3rd month of using it and I have zero acne not whitehead in my face right now. I’ve had a breakout on my first month of using it, mostly around my chin and jaw area, but after that batch cleared up I haven’t worried about acne anymore. Best one I’ve tried and will be on this pill for as long as I can!”

J121 · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 15, 2019

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “When I first started taking Tri-Sprintec it definitely was a struggle, I had some anxiety and depressive thoughts and my acne only got worse. My gyno told me to wait a longer than 3 months and if I still felt crappy to go back to her. After about the 4th month things definitely started getting better. My acne began to clear up, my mental health went back to normal, and my periods got lighter and my cramps are almost non-existent. My doctor told me Tri-Sprintec does have negative side effects in the beginning and does take a little longer for your body to get used to it. Overall, after the first few months I am now very happy with this pill, I would recommend giving it a try and just to be patient with it, I know everyone is different but it really works well after you give it time.”

Acne at 31 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 3, 2014

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “Since having my last child at age 27, my acne has been out of control. Serious cystic breakouts (forehead, chin, temples). When they just about heal up, BOOM, here comes the new ones. I have tried it all, literally. I did lemon juice, baking soda, vinegar, herbs, masks, lotions, pH balancing washes etc. NOTHING worked. I was so sick of it. At 30 I got Tri-Sprintec. The results were amazing. 1st month, I noticed the breakouts weren't as severe (but still there). 2nd month, I noticed the inflammation was better, still a few break out spots. 3rd month, I noticed I barely broke out (just on my temple area and one spot on my chin). 4th Month-NO MORE BREAKOUTS!”

Pm · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 19, 2020

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “I have now been on this birth control for 3 months. I originally started because I was experiencing very bad hormonal acne on my neck and jawline that was not going away with expensive skincare products, or over the counter products. I had tried 2 other birth controls before settling on this one- they both made me extremely nauseous and groggy. I’m so glad I found this birth control. But you need to GIVE IT TIME. It won’t work immediately. You will experience acne purges, it’s not the birth control giving you acne, it’s your acne essentially purging itself out so you can have that clear skin. Besides helping my acne, my cramps are now bearable which is amazing since I’ve ALWAYS had super painful cramps. The only other side effect I’ve experienced was breast tenderness and breast growth which I’m not complaining about. No weight gain! This pill has been a life saver for me.”

Anonymous May 15, 2012

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “28 yr old- healthy/active nurse. Always had minor acne since college but nothing like what I had a year ago last summer (2011). I blame it on YAZ for messing up my hormones. Painful cystic acne covered my jawline and forehead. I'm talking like 20 cysts at a time. Tried every OTC washes, organic, no caffeine, sugar, dairy, you name it. Nothing worked. Even though I did not want to go on the pill, I had too. ORTHO TRI CYCLEN (no the generic) for almost 7 months and finally it's almost clear. It was BAD first few months but I stuck with it. Give it time. PS: Generic is NOT the same as the real thing. Different fillers causes different reactions!”

Skylar009 November 14, 2013

Tri-Previfem (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “So I went on this pill for my acne and irregular bleeding. At first, it made my skin break out somewhat more and I started to lose hope. I've had a rough time on the pill because I forget to take it daily but it's getting better. But after being on it for two months, my skin is totally clear. I have one zit and it's not big at all. I have so much more confidence now and I'm so happy that I stayed on it. If you are hunting about going on the pill for acne I highly recommend this brand. You will have side effects at first but trust me, it's definitely all worth it. ”

beemed February 24, 2014

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “I would just like to say if you're looking for a solution for you're acne PLEASE try this. I have been struggling with acne for a few years, I have tried everything from over the counter to prescribed medicine and NOTHING worked. Finally I decided to get on the pill because I had very deep painful cystic acne along my jawline and chin that wouldn't go away. I have been on Sprintec for 2 months now and my skin is 100% clear. Only time I get a pimple is around my period but it is so much more manageable. Trust me this pill is my magic pill.”

olivia1234323 August 25, 2014

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “So my acne before was mild but I was told it would start clearing my acne in the third month. I am finishing my third month and my skin is much much worse than it was. I am left with red markings/scars everywhere all over my face and I am at my wits end. I am torn between continuing or giving up,”

Mak · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 29, 2021

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “For a few months on Tri-Sprintec, everything was fine, and then my acne got worse, now I have the worst acne of my life. I never even had pustules when I was in high school. Ironically, I clear up during my period, suggesting that the hormones in these did the complete opposite effect of what I had intended.”

Dakota1234 July 8, 2014

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “I'm 17 and this is the first method of birth control I have tried, been taking it for three weeks. It has been Amazing! My acne has completely cleared up in all areas (whole face, chest, back) and I have had no bad side effects!”

uhyuhyuh June 14, 2021

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “I experienced a lot of nausea if I don't take this at 10 PM. If I take it at 10pm I am good as I sleep thru all the nausea and stuff. My skin is noticeably clearer from acne. All the doxycycline and other cycline antibiotics weren't this good for my skin.”

Krissy V · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 10, 2014

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “I have just completed one pack of the Tri-Sprintec. I was prescribed Ortho but was given Tri-Sprintec due to insurance. I am 30 years old and have not had any major acne in years. The last major outbreak I have had was when I was 24. I would still get the occasion 1-2 acne but it would only occur every several months. This month has been horrible on Tri-Sprintec. I've had at least 20+ acne spots on my face. I've tried to used multiple products to clear it up to no avail. It is all hormonal cystic acne that is mainly concentrated around my mouth area/chin and they all leave scarring. I'm honestly not sure if I can last 3 months on it to see if it will get better for me. I do not normally break out so this terrifies me!”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 6, 2020

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “I was prescribed this Tri-Sprintec birth control for my acne. The first month was wonderful, it got rid of all my acne and evened out my skin tone and for the first time in years I had clear skin. I thought it would be like this for the next month but I was wrong. I’m currently on the second round of pills and my skin broke out horribly with extremely painful cystic acne around my chin, jaw and nose area. It has been like this the entire month, I am about to finish this pack in a couple of days and hoping my skin calms down with the 3rd round of pills. I spoke to my doctor and she recommended finishing the 3rd round of pills to see if my acne calms down to see whether or not to prescribe me to another brand.”

Fullofsmiles March 21, 2014

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “I've been on this birth control for six months and I love it. I had acne all over my back and very few on my face. Within the first month my face cleared up and some on my back. Im now going on my seventh month and my whole back is clear. Ladies with acne definitely need to try this and Give it time to work”

Reviewaccount333 · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 18, 2017

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “After experiencing moderate to severe acne breakouts for all 4 of my high school years, my doctor prescribed me to Lornya, AKA Yaz or Gianvi. Being on Lornya actually made my acne breakouts worse, I waited it out to see if it was an adjustment period, but after 10 months I had a conversation with my doctor. She was ready to put me on accutane, but my mom didn't want to settle for that, so she did some research. I tried ortho tri-cyclen. After 3 months, my swollen lesions slowly disappeared. It honestly was a miracle. I never believed I could be confident without makeup, but this pill changed my life! Going on this medication was one of the best decisions I have ever made and I would highly recommend it to anyone who struggles with acne. :)”

nadiaaa August 27, 2013

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “I'm 15 and I've been on Trinessa for about a month. I have NO side effects. I'm on the pill for acne and I'll tell you it does get worse then better. I had the worst breakouts when I first started it and I wanted too get off the pill but I was going be patient. Now my skin is improving. I recommended this for you. Try it.”

SnoopsMom2914 May 1, 2014

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “I recently got married so my husband and I started discussing different birth control methods and decided on the pill. I have suffered from acne since I was 13 and when I found Ortho Tri-Cyclen, approved to treat acne, I thought it would be a good pill for me to try. My experience on Ortho so far has been positive. I have been on the pill for three months (my third pack) and have had no negative side effects. I have been happier, haven't gained any noticeable weight, no mood swings, way lighter/shorter periods, no pregnancy, and larger breast. I'm a bit disappointed because my acne has only slightly improved but hasn't worsened. Maybe if I remain on the pill longer my acne will completely disappear. Overall I'm happy and will remain on Ortho Tri Cyclen.”

ML · Taken for less than 1 month March 4, 2020

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “It’s day 3 for me, on this medication and I have debilitating migraines. I’ve never had a migraine before, this is terrible. I can’t say whether it’s effective or not but I can definitely say it’s not worth the excruciating pain that I’m feeling in my head.”

ky September 29, 2019

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “Started taking Ortho Tri-Cyclen for acne a month ago. During the time of the month it caused me to break out in places I never have before and also caused me to have large cystic acne on my chin and jawline. They were all in clusters and on the right side of my face. The doctor says it will get worse before it gets better but honestly don't know what to do. Everybody is different and their body reacts different but I am ready to give up tbh.”

Liz999 July 24, 2013

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “After years of treatments for acne and my only option before mass treatment (Accutane), I tried TriNessa... it was the best thing that ever happened to me. Even if it took three months to notice improvement and first became worse than better, was worth it, 100%. It took almost 6 months to be almost clear. Be patient. Is worth it.”

reviews · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 4, 2013

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “I was put on Ortho Tri-Cyclen because I have been struggling with bad acne for a few years and my dermatologist asked if my periods are regular and they are not because they come a few days late every time so she told me in order to fix your acne I need for your hormones to be normal and all. I was put on this medication and this medication worked really, really well. My oily skin was GONE and my acne was also completely GONE. I couldn't believe it. BUT one month into taking this pill I noticed my hair thinning I thought it was stress. At the end of the 3rd month of taking this pill I realized it wasn't stress its the side effect of the pill. So I stopped taking this pill.”

Learn more about Acne