User Reviews for Droxidopa to treat Hypotension

Also known as: Northera

Alicia · December 8, 2020

Northera (droxidopa): “My husband took Northera for three days for hypotension, experienced severe side effects of akinesia - standing, sitting, moving like a zombie. He tried it a second time with same effect. His doctor says she does not believe the medication caused that effect. Not sure why, when FDA approved use of this drug with only a two-week efficacy trial. Nowhere have I been able to find positive or negative patient reviews of this drug. His light-headedness is so bad he can hardly stand, can't read, watch TV or barely get by during the day. And BTW, the pharma adverse events person was not friendly or forthcoming with any information when I called them. The FDA has such a byzantine database that I gave up after being told to check for information under the Freedom of Information Act. Really? Classified information on a drug? Whew.”

KWS · Taken for 2 to 5 years · January 9, 2018

“I have been taking the medication northera now for about 3- years. Has definitely kept me out of the hospital so much. Haven't had a episode of syncope or OHP in almost 2 years. Only problem is it's not affordable and you must find a organization to give a grant to pay the copay. At this time for 2018 I haven't been able to find any help. So I'm definitely concerned as to what will happen to me when I have to stop taking it!!”

anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year · January 28, 2022

Northera (droxidopa): “Northera is a miracle drug for my father, who suffers from orthostatic hypotension, related to Parkinson's/MSA. This was the only drug that would prevent him from blacking out and falling, almost once a day. Insurance did not cover this originally, and the pharmacy tried to charge us $3,000/month (who could ever afford that??). With help from our doctor we were able to file an appeal, and get the insurance to cover most of it. Its now >$300/month, which is a lot for a fixed income, but it is worth it for the improved quality of life.”

barry white · Taken for 2 to 5 years · March 24, 2022

“I have been on droxidopa for 4 years. I really do not know if it does anything???? I am dizzy a lot and fell down recently and broke ribs. Tip drink a lot of water. Also when I first started droxidopa my insurance company paid the gov...$29000 a month. I have great insurance. It is now $1000 a month. I have O/H and it really sucks. Good luck to all.”

Bear · Taken for less than 1 month · December 28, 2019

Northera (droxidopa): “I’ve not taken this medication because it’s so expensive”

Learn more about Hypotension