User Reviews for Doryx to treat Acne

Doryx has an average rating of 7.5 out of 10 from a total of 54 ratings for the treatment of Acne. 63% of those users who reviewed Doryx reported a positive effect, while 19% reported a negative effect.

Doryx Rating Summary

7.5/10 average rating

Compare all 321 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Doryx

Anner · Taken for less than 1 month June 23, 2018

“I just started this medication yesterday and I have 0 appetite and I can barely feel my left arm as I type this. I have an extremely high metabolism and no matter how much I eat I stay at just about 103 pounds. If you weigh around the same much or generally know your metabolism is high, I don’t think you should take this medication. Maybe I should seek medical proof because I think my arm is going to fall off”

Concerned mom · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 12, 2018

“My 13yo took 120mg if Doryx EC for one month. During that time, I had to take her out of school twice for migraine headaches. The last headache was so bad that her arm went numb, and she temporarily lost her vision. Needless to say, I stopped giving her Doryx, since I feared intracranial hypertension. It helped her acne, but it’s not worth any risk of IH or blindness!”

Kb08526 June 26, 2016

“My dermatologist prescribed this to me for cystic acne. While it did clear up the acne I had horrible side effects. My hair was falling out more than usual, my gums were always swollen and puffy, and the worst of it was getting cdiff. Of course cdiff is a rare side effect and I ended up getting it, but I will never take this medication again.”

Anonymous March 20, 2008

“Doryx was originally intended to clear up a rash-like infection near my genitals. It cleared it up, but an even better effect was to clear up my adult acne. It did so in just a few days of use, taking one 100mg tab per day with lunch.”

October1976 October 4, 2013

“I am 37. After my last child was born, I started getting these really deep, painful pimples all around my mouth and nose. According to the dermatologist I have a type of acne that's actually some kind of hybrid between rosacea and acne. The pustules hurt so much and they looked so gross. I was wearing a ton of makeup to hide them but even with all the cover up, you could still see my skin looked terrible with huge bumps and crusted over scabs from the ones I popped. I tried all sorts of OTC stuff before I finally went to the dermatologist. He put me on Doryx and within a week, the pustules were all gone and I have not had any new ones in the two months since I started this medication. I can't believe how quickly, and how well, it worked.”

Teresa S · Taken for less than 1 month September 15, 2013

“I had tried every combination of topical skincare routines for years and had had no luck with clearing up my acne. Doryx cleared up my acne almost overnight and I have been taking it for several weeks and have been almost completely clear--I can't even remember the last time I was!. Very satisfied!”

MartaSpicoli November 11, 2013

“I suffered from cystic acne for years. Doryx totally and completely has changed my life. I rarely even get a pimple around the time of my period anymore. When I first started Doryx, (5 months ago) I was taking 150 mg daily. Now, I take 75mg every other day. I can't praise this drug enough! Life changing, I wish I had started taking it years ago.”

Iannella123 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 26, 2012

“I have had Acne from 13 yrs old on and was on Accutane for most all of high school. I have tried everything - all cleansers, peels, topicals and nothing worked. Proactive seemed to moderately work (but dried my skin out and bleached every towel & pillow case in sight). I'm now 36 and in March 2012 I was totally fed up with my constant struggle with adult acne so I went to a dermatologist in San Francisco. She put me on Doryx, Epiduo & CereVe hydrating (non-foaming) cleanser- Hallelujah! It took ~2 months & my face was breakout free. I haven't had a zit since). It works- call your dermatologist as soon as possible. P.S I'm also on Ocella birth control (which is key to regulating hormone levels).”

Anonymous September 14, 2010

“When I first started taking this medication my acne did get worse. However I stuck with it for four months and then my acne COMPLETELY cleared up. I had it bad for the first month. I stopped taking it because my skin was clear. That was a huge mistake. My acne came back in like less then a month and worse than before. I think I went off it too quickly. I am about to go back on it and stay on it until my dermatologist tells me so otherwise this time.”

Nick2222 July 29, 2009

“This doesn't allow me to write very much so I can't share my whole story. I hate taking prescription drugs, but I gave Doryx a chance and it's been a God send. I developed acne in my late 20's, after being acne free since puberty. The cyst like acne would hurt badly and leave terrible marks. With Doryx, every zit on my problem areas were completely gone within 4 days and the red marks from past zits have already faded. I was concerned of side effects and I have had none whatsoever. I am supposed to take it everyday, but I only take it Monday-Friday. I once went 5 days without taking it and got a zit, but getting back on the pills cleared it right up. I pay $25 for a months supply, worth every penny.”

Nickname already in use July 6, 2013

“I've been struggling with mild acne on my face and severe acne on my shoulders (mostly sports related) for the past 2 years or so, and absolutely NOTHING worked. However, I've been taking Doryx for a week now and my face is almost completely clear, and my shoulders are clearing up FAST. however, I did experience a lot of drying out on my face, as well as (oddly enough) a decreased sex drive. I HIGHLY recommend refraining from alcohol while on this medicine, as it will only worsen the drying of your face. Stick with it. Remember, your face will get worse before it gets better.”

lp0820 March 10, 2012

“I have had problems with acne all my life. I tried everything from creams, gels, pills and even Accutane. Accutane was extremely harsh and my acne was back within 3 months. I finally was prescribed Doryx along with Acanya in the morning and Epiduo at night. Please be patient as this will make you break out really bad at first but I promise you after 2 months you will see the results. What's great too is you can adjust the dosage once your face clears up so you don't have to take 150mg all the time. My face is all cleared up now and I only take it the week of my period to prevent breakouts.”

Ktttt September 1, 2015

“I have never had perfect skin, always had 1 or 2 pimples at a time, and usually a cystic one too. But 5 months ago I started breaking out BAD, mostly on my lower cheeks and chin. I tried so many Orc face washes and scrubs but nothing worked. I finally went to the dermatologist and I have been taking doryx 200mg a day for about a week now, as well as using epiduo at night before bed. My skin is already clearing up! I mostly have hyper pigmentation and some scarring now, which I will have to deal with, but hardly any pimples!! I'm hoping it will keep getting better as the goes on but for now, I am loving doryx.”

randyjs September 25, 2010

“Three days ago, I went to the dermatologist for the first time. I have a modest severe problem with acne and have been using all kinds of over the counter acne products like Neutrogena, Clearasil, Clean and Clear, etc. She said that I have been wasting a lot a lot of money on the acne products I have used in the past, just because they are all the same . She put me on Doryx 150 MG, Differin 0.3%, and also told me to wash my face with Cetaphil. I can say that my acne scars, which I have on both cheeks, have faded a little and the size of my pimples have gotten smaller. She said that the first month is going to be the worst because I will breakout but should see a big improvement the second month. I am really depending on this to work! ”

The Aryan December 8, 2011

“I am 26 and nothing has worked for my Acne....NOTHING! I have tried pills, creams, Proactiv, herbals, almost everything. But finally I got something that WORKS! This pill cleared all my acne and I even forgot to take it more than a few times... still nothing. I don't wash my face a thousand times a day... Don't apply any acne cream.. and there is never a pimple on my skin. There have been no side effects for me. So you should definitely give this a try. Its the ONLY thing that has WORKED for me.”

sydaust88 May 25, 2015

“Hi Everyone I have been on Doryx for nearly 3 months. The pimples on my face and back have gotten worse and worse I am constantly breaking out to be honest my face is worse being on this medication then it was before i started it.”

Jennuhpurr · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 10, 2015

“My dermatologist put me on Doryx a couple months back. My acne was bad, inflamed and painful all over my cheeks. I took half the pill once a day and at first it made my skin dry out. But my acne disappeared within a week and a half. Afterwards I stopped using it. Then noticed my skin breaking out again. So I'm back on it again and it has settled my skin. I quit eating dairy as well while taking it and I have yet to have a breakout. I now take it every other day as it dries out the skin all over my body. But totally worth the results !!”

Anonymous September 29, 2010

“I went to the dermatologist last week and already I have been seeing AMAZING results! My acne before wasn't awful, but I wanted it to be completely gone. So my doctor prescribed me Doryx and CeraVe face lotion. So far I haven't had any breakouts and my pore size has shrunk. Also, I haven't had any stomach pains. Good Luck!”

Anonymous November 21, 2011

“I started taking Doryx about 4 months ago for cystic acne. SO GLAD I DID. It took almost 2 months to see results but it was definitely worth the wait. It doesn't bother me to leave the house now without makeup. Occasionally I'll still get cysts but they only last a couple of days or so and it's usually around the time of my period. I do notice though that it makes me thirsty and it dries my skin/chaps my lips. But it's totally worth it. Just be patient! I almost gave up after the first month. I'm so glad I didn't.”

SofiaI July 2, 2015

“I have been taking this medication for about three months now. It has cleared up 80% of my acne, and I have not gotten any new acne since I've been on it. Also, I haven't lost any hair, or had any side effects/problems while on this medication.”

Anonymous March 9, 2010

“I have struggled since the age 15 with acne, I am now 35 and decided to go to the dermatologist again convinced to start using Accutane. My doctor put me on 150mg of Doryx along with Epiduo at night. I am on day 15 and all of my existing cysts have since gone and had no new breakouts. It is a big pill and have to take it on an empty stomach so some will have cramping, mine are not bad.”

Wooiooohh June 12, 2013

“I am 17 years old, I don't have acne I just have the teenage pimples. But theses pimples control my life and make me depressed. I have taken one tablet and my face is clear, one pimple on my face. So happy.”

jennayy! November 17, 2009

“I am 15, and have been having acne for about 5 years now. It was not too bad, just plenty of black heads and whiteheads. I also had bad scarring. So I went to my dermatologists for the first time about 3 weeks ago, and she put me on Duac, Doryx, and Epiduo. All of those put together did wonders for me! In about 3 weeks 85 percent of my acne is gone! At first my face burned and was dry, but I think it was just my skin getting used to it. I put some moisturizer on and now I don't have a problem with it! It is only 25 dollars for a 30 day supply, and I will keep taking this till my skin it completely clear! I will really recommend it! If your acne isn't that bad this is great for you but if it is really bad I would recommend Accutane!”

Anonymous December 12, 2011

“I went on Doryx almost 3 months ago because I had severe cystic acne. It was awful, I was mortified to the point where I would even call out of work. Not only was it embarrassing, but at times it was also painful. My dermatologist put me on Doryx and I noticed NO change until about the 6 week mark. By the 8 week mark my cysts were gone! It took time, but I am SO glad I stuck with it. I have had people tell me how much better my skin looks. It is not 100% clear as it had been a year ago, but I am very pleased with it so far. The doctor told me it takes up to 6 months to get the full effect. So be patient. In addition to the pill I also wash my face once a day with Neutrogena Red Reducer (Green), Proactive and I use Clinique Acne foundation.”

Sxanb · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 16, 2016

“I got prescribed Doryx, along with two topicals, Aczone in the morning and Ziana at night, when I was having moderate acne. I never have had extremely bad acne but I started to get multiple extremely painful pimples so I decided to get some treatment. The Doryx along with the two topicals work great, still get a few pimples here and there but much better than before. HOWEVER, with the coverage on my insurance this pill costs me $75 for a bottle of 30, 200mg tablets. It was $25 when I first started taking it about a year and a half ago and has just gone up in price ever since. Works great but is extremely expensive in my opinion.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 20, 2013

“I'm 38 and have acne since 13. I have tried everything and finally a few years ago, just decided to live with it. I had a spot on my forehead that never seems to clear up, so the dermatologist put me on this and my acne has cleared up, similar to the results I had years ago from being on birth control pills. Although my acne is cleared up, the spot I was concerned about hasn't changed, and next dermatologist appointment I'll have to have it biopsied. The only side effect is that I have more hair loss than what I consider normal in a day. My Dermatologist had a $25 coupon for the prescription. Otherwise even with insurance it is very expensive. ”

Anonymous July 7, 2011

“I have tried many acne medications, but this is the only one that consistently worked for me. I took it for a few weeks, and I don't even have to use it anymore. My face is acne free. I didn't feel any side effects.”

finallysatisfied March 22, 2011

“I went on Doryx about 2 weeks ago and I've already seen a huge improvement. At first I thought the pills were really big, but they're not that bad at all (don't make it a bigger deal than it is!). You can take it at any time of day and watching the progress of your skin getting clearer is so awesome. I used this product with Differin and a prescribed face wash. I don't know if it will work for everyone but I do know it did for me. I didn't have much trouble getting a lot of acne so far. I think it just doesn't happen for some people. I'm seeing improvement right away. RECOMMENDED!”

Learn more about Acne