User Reviews for Donepezil

Also known as: Aricept, Aricept ODT

Learn more about Donepezil.

Lewy Body Dementia 3 reviews 0 medications

9.3
Mild Cognitive Impairment 8 reviews 0 medications

6.4
Alzheimer's Disease 29 reviews 27 medications

5.5
Summary of Donepezil reviews 40 reviews 7.1

Reviews for Donepezil

For Alzheimer's Disease: "My 65 yo husband started the 1/2 pill regiment 5 weeks ago. Big improvement in conversations, no longer accusing people of stealing from him. Than we had to wait 5 days for the prescription to be refilled. That was a decline, back to talking to imaginary people, aggressive behavior, no energy. Now he is on the whole pill. Wow, almost back to being pleasant. He takes his in the morning, so no sleep interrupted. Energy back, never had a side affect as far as loss of appetite, weight loss, diarrhea. Early stage of ALZ/ Dementia. Glad he is doing better, still a day to day."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 27, 2016

For Mild Cognitive Impairment: "At 53 this has help me so much to stop me from losing any more of my memory. Due to Strokes, Brain aneurysms, and many surgeries from blocked arteries. I am a 24 year Disabled Medical Adminastrator. Been very hard. I also take Namenda. These Meds have been a Blessing to me."

Daisy Lady October 22, 2016

Aricept (donepezil) for Alzheimer's Disease: "Several years of vascular dementia and growing increasingly worse now, my 89 year old mother started aricept during the last month. First day she was like a new person, clear thinking with memory, energy, and motivated. Second day much less, and was dizzy and constipated by 6th day. Now appearing more confused than without the drug. Not a good experience, will be moving on."

Maple3 October 7, 2016

Aricept (donepezil) for Alzheimer's Disease: "Father was almost himself again with aricept but it gave him uncontrollable diarrhea so he won't take it."

WTFman September 21, 2016

For Alzheimer's Disease: "My mother in law was on this drug for 2 months. While her short term memory continued to fail she also seemed more confused. We took her off and she has started to seem less confused-this is week 3 without. She has also experienced diarrhea and had lost weight. I am not sure there is a reliable study that can tell how well this drug might work for some because everyone's disease is different. We can't go back and see how they would have done without the drug. We will not be putting her back on."

Marram234 August 31, 2016

Aricept (donepezil) for Alzheimer's Disease: "My mother (74) was prescribed Aricept when she was diagnosed about 5 years ago. She had very few side effects and seemed less anxious. However, there was no noticeable change in cognitive function, which has deteriorated fairly rapidly, especially in the last 2 years. It is hard to say whether the drug had any positive effect as I will never know what my mother would have been like without it. It may or may not have slowed the progression of the Alzheimer's."

Carer3 May 18, 2016

For Alzheimer's Disease: "Very good results for my mom w/vascular dementia figure it gave 3-4 more years with her still cognitive some can take w/results some not so much we were able to travel better after this medication for sure"

Capergirl (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 11, 2016

For Alzheimer's Disease: "My wife has taken Donepezil (first 5mg then after a year 10mg) for some three years. Initially her Folstein MMS score was 28/30 and is now 17/30. She has no apparent side effects. I cannot tell what my wife would be like without it - now her forgetfulness is almost instantaneous and she is now incapable of independent living."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 21, 2015

For Mild Cognitive Impairment: "Our mother was put on 10mg Aricept (started with 5mg) and after 2 months, had a completely different personality and had lost 16 pounds. (She started at 114 - lost almost 15% of her body weight.) It was AWFUL!! She had no appetite, was depressed, angry, and just a completely different person. I have read many terrible reviews now that we have been through this experience. Stay away from Aricept."

Julia H. (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 17, 2015

For Mild Cognitive Impairment: "My husband took this drug for 3-4 weeks and got worse and worse that we took him off of it. Horrible drug!!!!!!!!!! He began to hallucinate, could not sleep, memory was worse, loss of appetite, talking in his sleep all night long, started falling, just awful side effects. Would never want him on this drug again."

Lorraine Melms November 30, 2015

Aricept (donepezil) for Alzheimer's Disease: "I have taken Namenda and Ariceptfor years. Memory has improved! Have had the vivid dreams others have described, also muscle cramps. Is am going to cut back on the Aricept and see if it helps....although usually enjoy my dreams!"

carolelanier (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 24, 2015

For Alzheimer's Disease: "Mum has first stage Alzheimer's and was put on drug 8 weeks ago. She has gone from someone who was pleasantly confused, is now incontinent, won't eat or drink, sleeping all the time, and is now in hospital because she was found unresponsive! Had been examined by 4 doctors with in the 8 wks who all said she must stay on the drug! Even though it was blatantly obvious to the family it was the drug causing the symptoms! The drug was stopped 2 days ago and she is alert and talking"

Sandy cove November 4, 2015

Aricept (donepezil) for Alzheimer's Disease: "Trouble sleeping,stomach pain,headache,constipation,fever,"

SKC4767 October 26, 2015

For Alzheimer's Disease: "My mother was on this and had negative side effects, diarrhea, weakness, changes in behaviors, combative, using foul language, on 10 mgs. I complained and the MD took her off , then put her back on 3 months later, same side effects. I am disgusted at how these meds are prescribed and the side effects are WORSE that the behaviors. I am an RN, and this is abuse of our elder patients."

daughter, RN (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 21, 2015

For Alzheimer's Disease: "Mom is on this stuff just a short time now. Put on 5 mg, then 10, now to 20/day in an 8 week span. Her confusion got much worse, daily nausea set in no matter if taken with meal or not, sleep pattern really changed and attitude became combative and nasty. I am weaning her down to 10 mg/day and if no change I will take her to 5 then stop all together. This stuff may work for mild cases of alzheimer's but not for my mom"

Think not September 24, 2015

For Lewy Body Dementia: "My husband was recently diagnosed with Lewy Body Dementia, and the worst part was the hallucinations he was having of people coming in the house, threatening him, stealing things, hiding things and pretending to be me or one of his daughters. There was no dealing with these imaginary people. Our Neurologist suggested trying Donepezil (Aricept) and we started with 5 mg. and moved to 10 mgs since he had no side affects. It was amazing: his hallucinations stopped completely by the third day! They have never come back."

Onetoothree September 15, 2015

Mitzi2 September 15, 2015

Aricept (donepezil) for Alzheimer's Disease: "My 82 year old dad went on this med to slow the memory loss. It did seem to help that but we have had uncharacteristic behavioral issues where he can't keep his hands off the ladies. So much that it is a problem in the assisted living memory care unit he lives in and now he has to go to a behavioral place to change his Medicene. Sheeeesh!"

My dad (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 8, 2015

For Mild Cognitive Impairment: "Husband diagnosed 1/2014 at age 57. Put on donepezil at that time. Doesn't seem to have made much of a difference for him. His memory is not the issue as much, he has problems with judgement, spatial, sequencing, and vision. When first prescribed he was taking at night and had vivid dreams. He rather enjoyed them as most included friends family from years ago. Dr instructed he take the medicines in the morning as to not interrupt his sleep. The medicines also cause diarrhea. Modifying diet to try to compensate. Want to stay on the medicine in hopes of slower decline."

Anonymous November 12, 2014

For Lewy Body Dementia: "Within a week of starting on 1/2 5 mg pill, Aricept generic, my spouse's verbalization improved to the point where others noticed and volunteered a positive comment. Now on the full 5 mg pill per day, there are no side effects. And the psychoses have become fewer, shorter lasting, and less bizarre. The long and short term memory, though, has neither improved nor worsened. And my spouse has virtually no spatial or temporal awareness, which is no better or worse than before the meds."

eyeonthescreen (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 23, 2014

Aricept (donepezil) for Alzheimer's Disease: "63 yr old woman, early onset Alzheimer's diagnosed July 2013. Prescribed Aricept 5 mg and Namenda. Found Namenda made me agitated and angry so quit. 10 mg Aricept and serious side effects. While waiting for new doctor to take over past neurologist's care, have adjusted meds myself to keep the memory help - which is astounding - and lessens side effects which includes severe muscle cramps in legs, water retention, ankle and hand swelling, back pain, increased blood pressure, heart palpitations. I now take 1/2 of the 5 mg tablet in morning and am still retaining benefits with reduced side effects. Aricept restored my ability to read and gave me energy and focus I have not had in 3 years. Lower dose on most meds always works better for me."

ALZ+ (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 20, 2013

193 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Aricept ODT (donepezil) for Alzheimer's Disease: "5 mg helped but eventually it worked less well. 10 mg helped a lot for a long time but I think it stopped working again. No side effects."

minerva354 (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 7, 2013

Aricept (donepezil) for Alzheimer's Disease: "I noticed a big difference once starting this medication. I do Suduko puzzles everyday. Eventually, I stopped taking this medicine because of leg cramps that kept me up at night, and I could not do Suduko as well. Once I went back on the medicine, I could resume my puzzles. My pharmacist gave me Hylands for leg cramps and now I sleep better and am not so foggy. Very happy."

Dementia patient (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 20, 2013

122 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Aricept (donepezil) for Alzheimer's Disease: "My mom has been on Aricept for 5 months, 5 mg. Mom has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's. Medication has helped her be more alert, making longer conversations, better effect. Short memory exists but her condition had not worsened. Will see neurologist to determine to increase medication to 10 mg. Mom's condition has been stable and we are hoping to slow the disease."

Aldrich loop May 11, 2013

100 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Mild Cognitive Impairment: "My spouse has been taking donepezil for about about three months. I notice some stability on her memory. The medicine does prevent her from sleeping normally. I notice she is restless for about two to three hours after taking it. She will be taking Aricept 10mg starting today 17 Aug 2012. I'm hoping that the medicine will continue to help her."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 17, 2012