User Reviews for Donepezil systemic

Mild Cognitive Impairment
4.4

Summary of Donepezil reviews 5.1 64 reviews

Reviews for Donepezil

For Alzheimer's Disease: "My mom is on donepezil and namenda. Last xmas 2017 my mom was doing terrible. Very depressed, memory was getting noticeably worse. We couldn't get her to leave the house. My brother and I decided at 73 years old her time was ending. Mom had suffered many losses in her life including loss of a son who died at 21, her husband who passed at age 52 and 2 sisters ( 1 in her late 40's, the other in her early 60's.) Mom has made a remarkable recovery. She no longer needs a walker,i s eager to go everywhere, her mood and zest for life is amazing. We've seen an drastic improvement in her memory. [She had told dr she was having memory problems.] I recently started looking up her meds. Maybe there was good reason I hadn't looked them up before. Upon reading reviews truly I would have been scared. I have no idea if it's because of these meds but feel truly blessed to be sharing more precious time with my mom. She actually calls my husband and I to check up on us if we're sick. Also calls to see when we are available to take her out."

sunshine January 23, 2019

Aricept (donepezil) for Alzheimer's Disease: "My Mother was only on .5 mgs but was confused and strange on it. She was on it two weeks until finally I took her off . She has never been the same since. She used to follow a routine. Now her brain is terrible . It makes me sick to my stomach how much this drug deteriorated my Mother. She got a throats infection and a finger infection during that time , if you read the fine print 13 % of people get an infection on it. But they say, I don't believe them, that 12% get an infection on placebo . Making it 1% extra people that get an infection. Well then my Mom was the 1% and had to go on antibiotics that screwed her system up too. I really feel sick we gave her this drug. "

Sana January 2, 2019

Aricept (donepezil) for Alzheimer's Disease: "I have been on Aricept 5mg at bedtime for 2 months . Was diagnosed just after I turned 60 this summer . I started having trouble finishing a sentence , my mind would go blank . I knew something was wrong . Had the blood test APOE test and scored 3/4 out of 4/4 . Aricept seems to be helping me think clearer . The side effects of Diarrhea first happen in the beginning , but went away . Don't give up on this medication . Its helping me ."

Bob 872 November 30, 2018

For Mild Cognitive Impairment: "I am lucky to have survived this medication. The prescribing doctor did not bother to research drug reactions and left me on Trazadone for insomnia. I realized there was a problem, but only lowered Trazadone from 300 mg to 100 mg because of intense insomnia. I was in the nuthouse 3 times on this drug, and no one questioned Aricept as the cause. I was taken off Aricept in May of 2017 for muscle spasms and have been fine ever since."

crwriter (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 13, 2018

For Alzheimer's Disease: "My husband was put on donepezil about 5 years ago, he was started on 10 mgs but he started to be unsteady and fell a few times, he was then put on to 5 mgs and has been on this nearly the whole time, however, he was diagnosed with Asthma and then COPD, he was extremely unwell for over a year and I thought he was going to die. I consulted with his doctor and we agreed we could try stopping the Donepezil, that was nearly a year ago, although he still takes medication once a day for the COPD it has never come back, his memory is poor but he is still active and thankfully no recurrence of the breathing problems."

jk (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 23, 2018

For Alzheimer's Disease: "My 82 year old mum was diagnosed last year with Alzheimer's Disease. We really noticed her decreased language skills. She couldn't remember words for things. Could only chat with me for 10 minutes before she had enough. Also tired and not interested in much. Her writing was terrible. She started on 5mg and is now on 10mg. She saw people in her room (that weren't there) when she first started but taking tablet in the morning helped that. Her language has improved immensely. Chats to me on the phone for an hour with hardly a stumble. Is interested in things again and wrote a list of questions to ask her dr without a problem. She even renewed her passport and is going on a cruise to NZ in November with her friend! Don't know how long it will last but we will take what we can get! The only thing I've noticed is she gets a bit cross with her partner especially if he doesn't let her do things herself. She is aware of this."

Leisure (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 10, 2018

For Mild Cognitive Impairment: "My husband has been on Aricept 5 mg nightly for about 6 weeks for memory loss related to anesthesia during past surgery. He has not felt well since he started. He has cramps in his feet at night, profuse sweating, fatigue and weakness. Lightheaded when he stands and passed out and had a siezure 2 days ago. His memory loss and anxiety actually got worse on the med. I took him off the med today and contacted the doctor who agrees with my decision. We will wait now and see if he improves. It’s very frightening what these meds can do to your physical and mental well being"

Geeg (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 6, 2018

For Alzheimer's Disease: "My doctor prescribed this for my short term memory from a brain injury. This medication made me sleep too much and I still feeling tired. I also have no appetite and I gained weight. 5'4" and weigh 194 pounds."

Frannorman2002 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 8, 2018

For Mild Cognitive Impairment: "Used to help improve memory and seems to be working"

Uncle j (taken for less than 1 month) June 9, 2018

For Alzheimer's Disease: "My wife is 65 as of January 02; she was diagnosed with dementia 2.5 years ago. Before diagnosed she would not follow instructions very well; She would by merchandise and forget it; she would repeat an entire conversation WRONG. The final straw is when I woke up for work, and she tore up the kitchen; pots, pans, tupper-ware all over the place, and could not remember doing it. I asked her doctor who is from Indian; "with 1.3 billion citizens in India, and only a 3% dementia/Alzheimer rate; is there a supplement with Donepezil" he responds; "get her extra virgin coconut oil; unrefined; cold pressed, and observe change". I went to Whole Foods and purchased the coconut oil, and within 3 days I observed a greater clarity in cognizance skills, behavior, and we have been using it ever since; she function 90% better. I did more research on this coconut wonder, and there's a LOAD of reports with how it works. My wife has held steady improvement for about 14 months!!!"

Tlswift2009 April 5, 2018

Aricept (donepezil) for Alzheimer's Disease: "I was taking Aricept to help preserve my memory, due to the fact that I am 46 yrs old. I had brain surgery in 2009 to prevent seizures and now my memory is very bad. I took this medicine for about 2 months, but the vivid dreams and leg cramps were just too much to handle. I am trying a new Alzheimer's medicine now. I believe every medicine has side effects, we just have to pick and choose!!!"

Bird (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 26, 2018

For Mild Cognitive Impairment: "A friend was commenced on this drug and almost immediately experienced a rapid decline in cognitive impairment. Her short term memory, her orientation to place and time both seemed to worsen and she was notably more anxious."

Bert (taken for less than 1 month) March 15, 2018

For Mild Cognitive Impairment: "85 year male was given this drug in hospital by dr. Two pills and he turned into an absolute zombie. Slurred speech and hallucinations. We stopped it immediately. 104 hour half life. Worst week of our lives."

Watch this med January 14, 2018

For Mild Cognitive Impairment: "I am an 81 yo physician. About 3 years ago began realizing some cognitive decline. Asked my physician to let me try Aricept (donepezil).. Started on the 5mg for one week then 10mg a day for one week then 10mg twice a day. When the new 23mg dose came out I switched to 23mg at bedtime. I believe there has been a definite improvement. Some leg cramps at nite, but with increased water intake and time this has decreased. Do have softer stools but not diarrhea. Bad dreams have been a problem but have slowly decreased. About 9 months ago I decided to stop the medicine to see if it would make a difference and with in a few weeks I and my wife and friends noticed a decline in my cognition. I have since restarted with good improvement."

rgburn (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 13, 2017

For Alzheimer's Disease: "I took my father off this medicine. Really awful side effects, he had a hard time controlling his bowel and it wrecked havoc on his extremities. The drug caused all his hands and fingers to lock up and he also experienced really painful cramps on his legs and feet."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 4, 2017

For Alzheimer's Disease: "My dad has been on it for about five months, and he has mild dementia. Normally slow to anger and hates confrontation. He is in his nineties, and after taking the medicine says he needs to be 'locked up' because he is afraid he will do something terrible. Bad nightmares, irritability and some muscle pain. Told him to throw the stuff out and we will see if there is improvement."

NCdaughter (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 27, 2017

Aricept (donepezil) for Alzheimer's Disease: "At 78 my husband started on aricept 10mg for increasing symptoms of Alzheimer's . He did well for a long time . Memory improved. When he stared to decline again months later he was put on namzaric. Did great again for many months. He now has had increase in aricept. Showed improvement. Again. Wishing this would last."

Tahs August 24, 2017

Aricept (donepezil) for : "Caused severe agitation & anger"

Kay111981 (taken for less than 1 month) August 18, 2017

For Alzheimer's Disease: "We've been happy taking donepezil at night however his doctor wants to change to a drug containing this medication and namenda all-in-one. Hate to change when he's doing so well.."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 9, 2017

For Mild Cognitive Impairment: "Awful experience ! Nightmare Dreaming++ fell out of bed & hit my head causing bleeding. Had to see GP. Not to take it. Now off the drug completely & feeling much better. Thought to have dementia a year ago but diagnosis is now suspect."

Benbo (taken for less than 1 month) July 28, 2017

For Alzheimer's Disease: "Makes me feel ill."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 23, 2017

For Alzheimer's Disease: "My mum has been on Donepezil for 2 years. Over the past 6 months her appetite had deteriorated, she's losing weight, getting aggressive and she was falling a lot. I have recently discovered she wasn't taking her pills and hiding them in her gums and pretending to swallow, then when I moved away she was taking them out of her mouth and putting them in the bin. She's 82. I have changed the routine of night time meds to morning as this seems easier. Without this pill, 10mg a day, she deteriorates badly. There is a massive difference in her vocabulary and attitude more than anything else. For those bad comments talking about the drug when it hasn't been taken for at least 12 weeks, please ignore. This needs to be given time to work."

Lyndaloo99999 July 15, 2017

For Alzheimer's Disease: "Dr started my 89 yr old grandmother with 5mg of donepezil for 2 weeks. Noticed no change positive or negative. Doctor increased to 10mg. She's been on it for 3 weeks. My husband and I (even my 11yr old son) feel her memory has gotten worse. The past two days, I decreased her intake to 5mg. I will continue with 5mg for now to see if this improve. But after reading many of the posts, I may stop having her take donepezil."

Cowbugg (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 14, 2017

For Mild Cognitive Impairment: "I have a Traumatic brain injury (TBI) and donepezil helps to be in control of my memories. This medication is working so far. I don't have to write everything down. It has helped and was prescribed by my Neurologist. Thank you."

Nanettê Wimbrow (taken for less than 1 month) May 11, 2017

Aricept (donepezil) for Alzheimer's Disease: "My mother was on this medication for 2 weeks for early stages of Alzheimer's. The first week family thought we could see noticeable improvement. By the end of the 2nd week she was confused and defecating in her hand which she had never done before. The doctor discontinued and after a few days she was back to where she was before starting the med. My advice is watch your loved one closely for side effects."

Pehs (taken for less than 1 month) May 7, 2017