User Reviews for Donepezil to treat Alzheimer's Disease

Also known as: Aricept, Aricept ODT

Donepezil Rating Summary

4.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 27 medications used in the treatment of Alzheimer's Disease.

Reviews for Donepezil

Sayaints May 24, 2020

“My mom has been experiencing memory loss for the last couple years. Her short term is memory is questionable, some days are better than others, but overall she has been able to stay relatively independent, able to take care of herself. Her doc put her on 5mg of Donepezil daily. About 5 days into taking she started to have big memory gaps in her long term memory. Forgetting that my dad had passed away 20 years ago. Thinking she had returned from a trip, when she has not been anywhere for ages. It went from I don’t know what day it is to your dad dropped me off this morning I need you to come and get me. Today she took all the pictures down in her apartment, packed up all her clothes and and told me she was cleaning. Change happens with this Disease. But not in 7 days. When I called her doc and explained, he basically told me to watch for the physical side effects and to continue with the meds. I have stopped the meds myself. I wanted to just share my experience.”

Eve February 29, 2020

Aricept (donepezil): “My mom took this for 4 days and it was the most horrible experience of all of our lives. She has very mild dementia from stroke and TIAs. We thought perhaps her inability to walk and anxiety could be helped by a neurologist and this was prescribed. We should have waited for the MRI. She did not eat hardly at all. She cried a lot and at night she went completely insane. She thought I was her mother. So the doctor took her off of it. Then the 2 weeks of withdrawal with hallucinations, diarrhea, etc, wandering around without clothes. I am afraid she will never come back to herself again. One of the worst things I have ever been through and I can't imagine how bad it was for her.”

Teeps · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 12, 2020

“My first experience with Donepezil 10mg was nasty, It affected my sleep in a bad way and made my memory, speech and basic cognitive functions worse and I was continuously lethargic. After 2 months on the drug I can honestly say I feel a huge difference (for the better). There is a big improvement in both my memory and speech and it's really made a difference in my day to day life and daily tasks .”

inertia40 · Taken for less than 1 month November 12, 2019

Aricept ODT (donepezil): “When I began taking this medication Aricept I immediately began having very bad stomach cramps. I made it 4 days and the cramps were relentless. I had to stop taking this medication.”

sam · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 22, 2019

Aricept (donepezil): “This was used on one of my parents. EXPENSIVE - Does not help and caused diarrhea”

Kathleen October 20, 2019

“My 57 year old husband was diagnosed two years ago. He started on donepezil, 10 mg at bedtime 7 months ago. Within a month he experienced clarity that had been long gone. He is happier, more self confident and remembers much more. Is he his old self again? No! But, much improved compared to where we were a year ago. He has not had any negative side effects. My fingers are crossed that this will continue because it has made life so much more bearable.”

Boudreaux · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 24, 2019

“Donepezil was great at the beginning taking 5 mg for 3 years. Maybe I need to increase the dosage.”

Bob872 · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 20, 2019

Aricept (donepezil): “Update , now on 10 Mgs of Aricept for Alzheimer's. Memory has improved a bit but still some confusion when driving . Overall I feel like it is helping . Can now finish most sentences but mind still wanders . Time will tell . I'm turning 61 next well and very thankful for my Neurologist . God Bless.”

berta59463 · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 27, 2019

Aricept (donepezil): “My MD tagged my DL (drivers licence)when she prescribed this med. When I asked why she said "we report every prescription of this med to the DMV." So (age 71) I took the written test and am scheduled for the road test. Proctor said "you did VERY well!" on the written test! Not too worried about the driving test (my 40 YO niece says "you drive better than I do!"). So be forewarned. Drug well tolerated, no issues. Is it doing anything good? Who knows?”

mary June 16, 2019

Aricept (donepezil): “Had great hopes for Aricept to help but it left me very weak and sore from nausea and diarrhea 8 hours after taking. I could do very little all day. I weigh less than 100 lbs and think even 5 mg was too much for me. Glad it works for some . I will not take this med again.”

Calendula · Taken for less than 1 month April 27, 2019

“Donepezil made 81 year old mother in mid stage dementia VERY dizzy. A big NOPE from me.”

pablo April 13, 2019

“My 85 year old mother was diagnosed in January with Alzheimer’s and vascular (mixed dementia) and put on donepezil. This year previous to this had been very difficult year when her word power left her (she couldn’t remember the name of objects), she could no longer write and was unable to keep her accounting books - to name just a few issues. She was also very depressed with no motivation at all. Since being on donepezil (10 mg) she is much brighter in herself - wanting to do things and go to places. She has recently had new curtains and blinds put in throughout her house - something she wouldn’t have even contemplated a year ago. Her writing has improved noticeably and she is attempting to keep her books again although I don’t think this is hugely successful. She still forgets words. She says it has given her some of her confidence back. As a whole we have found that donepezil’s biggest improvement has been in her state of mind and attitude and for that alone we are very grateful.”

sunshine January 23, 2019

“My mom is on donepezil and namenda. Last xmas 2017 my mom was doing terrible. Very depressed, memory was getting noticeably worse. We couldn't get her to leave the house. My brother and I decided at 73 years old her time was ending. Mom had suffered many losses in her life including loss of a son who died at 21, her husband who passed at age 52 and 2 sisters ( 1 in her late 40's, the other in her early 60's.) Mom has made a remarkable recovery. She no longer needs a walker,i s eager to go everywhere, her mood and zest for life is amazing. We've seen an drastic improvement in her memory. [She had told dr she was having memory problems.] I recently started looking up her meds. Maybe there was good reason I hadn't looked them up before. Upon reading reviews truly I would have been scared. I have no idea if it's because of these meds but feel truly blessed to be sharing more precious time with my mom. She actually calls my husband and I to check up on us if we're sick. Also calls to see when we are available to take her out.”

Sana January 2, 2019

Aricept (donepezil): “My Mother was only on .5 mgs but was confused and strange on it. She was on it two weeks until finally I took her off . She has never been the same since. She used to follow a routine. Now her brain is terrible . It makes me sick to my stomach how much this drug deteriorated my Mother. She got a throats infection and a finger infection during that time , if you read the fine print 13 % of people get an infection on it. But they say, I don't believe them, that 12% get an infection on placebo . Making it 1% extra people that get an infection. Well then my Mom was the 1% and had to go on antibiotics that screwed her system up too. I really feel sick we gave her this drug. ”

Bob 872 November 30, 2018

Aricept (donepezil): “I have been on Aricept 5mg at bedtime for 2 months . Was diagnosed just after I turned 60 this summer . I started having trouble finishing a sentence , my mind would go blank . I knew something was wrong . Had the blood test APOE test and scored 3/4 out of 4/4 . Aricept seems to be helping me think clearer . The side effects of Diarrhea first happen in the beginning , but went away . Don't give up on this medication . Its helping me .”

jk · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 23, 2018

“My husband was put on donepezil about 5 years ago, he was started on 10 mgs but he started to be unsteady and fell a few times, he was then put on to 5 mgs and has been on this nearly the whole time, however, he was diagnosed with Asthma and then COPD, he was extremely unwell for over a year and I thought he was going to die. I consulted with his doctor and we agreed we could try stopping the Donepezil, that was nearly a year ago, although he still takes medication once a day for the COPD it has never come back, his memory is poor but he is still active and thankfully no recurrence of the breathing problems.”

Leisure · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 10, 2018

“My 82 year old mum was diagnosed last year with Alzheimer's Disease. We really noticed her decreased language skills. She couldn't remember words for things. Could only chat with me for 10 minutes before she had enough. Also tired and not interested in much. Her writing was terrible. She started on 5mg and is now on 10mg. She saw people in her room (that weren't there) when she first started but taking tablet in the morning helped that. Her language has improved immensely. Chats to me on the phone for an hour with hardly a stumble. Is interested in things again and wrote a list of questions to ask her dr without a problem. She even renewed her passport and is going on a cruise to NZ in November with her friend! Don't know how long it will last but we will take what we can get! The only thing I've noticed is she gets a bit cross with her partner especially if he doesn't let her do things herself. She is aware of this.”

Frannorman2002 · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 8, 2018

“My doctor prescribed this for my short term memory from a brain injury. This medication made me sleep too much and I still feeling tired. I also have no appetite and I gained weight. 5'4" and weigh 194 pounds.”

Tlswift2009 April 5, 2018

“My wife is 65 as of January 02; she was diagnosed with dementia 2.5 years ago. Before diagnosed she would not follow instructions very well; She would by merchandise and forget it; she would repeat an entire conversation WRONG. The final straw is when I woke up for work, and she tore up the kitchen; pots, pans, tupper-ware all over the place, and could not remember doing it. I asked her doctor who is from Indian; "with 1.3 billion citizens in India, and only a 3% dementia/Alzheimer rate; is there a supplement with Donepezil" he responds; "get her extra virgin coconut oil; unrefined; cold pressed, and observe change". I went to Whole Foods and purchased the coconut oil, and within 3 days I observed a greater clarity in cognizance skills, behavior, and we have been using it ever since; she function 90% better. I did more research on this coconut wonder, and there's a LOAD of reports with how it works. My wife has held steady improvement for about 14 months!!!”

Bird · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 26, 2018

Aricept (donepezil): “I was taking Aricept to help preserve my memory, due to the fact that I am 46 yrs old. I had brain surgery in 2009 to prevent seizures and now my memory is very bad. I took this medicine for about 2 months, but the vivid dreams and leg cramps were just too much to handle. I am trying a new Alzheimer's medicine now. I believe every medicine has side effects, we just have to pick and choose!!!”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 4, 2017

“I took my father off this medicine. Really awful side effects, he had a hard time controlling his bowel and it wrecked havoc on his extremities. The drug caused all his hands and fingers to lock up and he also experienced really painful cramps on his legs and feet.”

NCdaughter · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 27, 2017

“My dad has been on it for about five months, and he has mild dementia. Normally slow to anger and hates confrontation. He is in his nineties, and after taking the medicine says he needs to be 'locked up' because he is afraid he will do something terrible. Bad nightmares, irritability and some muscle pain. Told him to throw the stuff out and we will see if there is improvement.”

Tahs August 24, 2017

Aricept (donepezil): “At 78 my husband started on aricept 10mg for increasing symptoms of Alzheimer's . He did well for a long time . Memory improved. When he stared to decline again months later he was put on namzaric. Did great again for many months. He now has had increase in aricept. Showed improvement. Again. Wishing this would last.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 9, 2017

“We've been happy taking donepezil at night however his doctor wants to change to a drug containing this medication and namenda all-in-one. Hate to change when he's doing so well..”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month July 23, 2017

“Makes me feel ill.”

Learn more about Alzheimer's Disease

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)