User Reviews for Cobicistat / elvitegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide to treat HIV Infection

Also known as: Genvoya, Stribild

Cobicistat/elvitegravir/emtricitabine/tenofovir alafenamide Rating Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 124 medications used in the treatment of HIV Infection.

Reviews for Cobicistat/elvitegravir/emtricitabine/tenofovir alafenamide

Genvoya (cobicistat / elvitegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide): "I did learn I'm HIV+ when I had brain hemorrhage 6 months ago because of car accident. I do not remember that days because I was in coma. Anyways after brain surgery they explained me I'm HIV poz. I did not think anything because my brain did not let me to think :) but I started my treatment with Genvoya 4 months ago. After 20 days since I started taking that pill I turned negative VL. Except disgusting acnes and fat I have been had no other side effects for now. Even I though I am positive I am happy because I turned back from death. Brain is more important I did learn."

Eleison (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 1, 2019

Genvoya (cobicistat / elvitegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide): "On Genvoya I got tired and depressed and I stayed like that for 5 months until I went back to Stribild. Then I was my self again."

Tico (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 31, 2019

Genvoya (cobicistat / elvitegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide): "Hi.. 3 days on genvoya and I don't really feel I am taking medicine... Maybe a little headache"

Alex (taken for less than 1 month) March 13, 2019

Genvoya (cobicistat / elvitegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide): "My first day after Genvoya pill. A little diarrhea and smelly flatulence. My tummy is grumbling. Other feelings a little headache- but maybe thats fom the weather outside apart from that nothing noticable. So far I think this is a good medicine"

ALEX (taken for less than 1 month) March 12, 2019

Genvoya (cobicistat / elvitegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide): "Just took my first pill 1. 1/2 hours ago...A litlle tingling in the tongue, thirst and my ears are a litlle red as if someone rubbed them..Maybe it's from emotions..Otherwise nothing-no stomach ache-no nausea- no nothing...I'll keep you posted when I make 4 hours - this post is for starters.."

ALEX (taken for less than 1 month) March 11, 2019

Genvoya (cobicistat / elvitegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide): "Since I started genvoya can have had dry eyes, blurry vision and now I can hardly walk . I have never had high cholesterol and high blood pressure until taking genvoya. The doctors wouldn't listen to me when I ask to change my meds . They also won't report other side effect - this is not right . If you want people with HIV to live a normal life this not the way to treat us. We didn't ask to get HIV ."

Tanky (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 5, 2019

Genvoya (cobicistat / elvitegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide): "Wow ! What can I possibly say it's been the best for me . HIV 10 years I'm still kicking . Genvoya is Great"

BIG Donky (taken for 10 years or more) February 12, 2019

Genvoya (cobicistat / elvitegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide): "I was diagnosed 11/23/2019 just be on Genvoya for a lil over a month and has been experiencing depression. "

MA (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 20, 2019

Genvoya (cobicistat / elvitegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide): "Horrible side effect my doctor kept telling me I was okay but I know my body more then he does so I got kinda pissy about it. Then he’s like it’s just this and that blah blah blah. Listen to your body and do your research. Genvoya gave me so much diarrhea, I lost so much weight and I couldn't sleep. I was crazy and worried all the time. I was stressed out and I couldn’t control my anxiety. I was going crazy so I had to switch. Finally my doctor agreed after moaning and moaning at him. Now I’m on triumeq and I feel so much better. My eyes aren’t as red anymore"

Younging (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 10, 2019

Genvoya (cobicistat / elvitegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide): "Diagnosed in 2018, June. I have taken genvoya as my first medication when I found I was HIV +. When I diagnosed as HIV + my cd4 was 500 and VL was 3,026. I became undetectable after 3 weeks since I started taking this pill. Yesterday I went to doctor and we decided to change my medication because of side effects. I’ve been suffering by diarrhea since I took genvoya. When it was serious I went to toilet even 6~7 times a day. If I ate just a small amount of food or sauce to taste I should go to toilet straight away. The gas irritation was serious, too. Sometimes I had muscle pain. The muscle pain was okay to me. But the diarrhea was really annoying. I have a meal, dinner, a day. I couldn’t understand after toileting in the morning why the diarrhea kept happening even without food. Sometimes I was nervous to go to somewhere if i should drive more than half an hour. Honestly I don’t wanna recommend genvoya if you are thinking about it. Diarrhea, muscle pain, gas irritation, a serious fatigue."

Kim January 9, 2019

Genvoya (cobicistat / elvitegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide): "This medication was promoted as being a Golden Egg. The headaches eventually subsided a little but the muscle fatigue has been progressively getting worse and worse to the point where it's hard even walking. Hard moving and difficult to sleep due to the pain. I also seem to be wasting at the extremities, like what happened in the 90's. Gastrointestinal - I have either fluffy stools or ones which are too hard to pass, intestinal gas, jabbing pains and generally bloated. Dreams have not subsided. They are still vivid and affect my sleep quality. The worst is the middle weight gain, all around the belly, same gym regime, same dietary consumption but it's this bloated pillow of fat. NOT recommended! Spoke to 3 friends and asked them what they are on, and without any hints they all said "was on Genvoya, fatigue, tiredness weight gain" Was on previous meds, all had side effects but Genvoya is by far the worst."

MrMr (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 11, 2018

Genvoya (cobicistat / elvitegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide): "Found out I was HIV positive from annual at home self testing on 10/22/18. I still can recall the day I performed the test, you have to wait like 15min for results, when I pulled back the tab and saw those two lines on the stick indicating I was HIV POSITIVE I jumped half way across the room! I felt my whole life had been turned upside down. I was not seeing a doctor regularly, being young (30years old) I felt I was as healthy as a ox and in a since, untouchable. Looking back I had experienced some night sweats and constantly being congested, almost like a slight cold that wouldn't go away, I thought it was from allergies. Today is my first day taking Genvoya and I haven't experienced any side effects after 10 hours. I pray and hope this drug will keep me healthy without any side effects. I pray to have a similar experience to other reviewers who are doing well on this drug"

unchanged mercy (taken for less than 1 month) December 6, 2018

Genvoya (cobicistat / elvitegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide): "If you are on stribild think twice before switching to Genvoya. I was doing great on stribild for 4 years with no side effects and switched to genvoya when my doctor warned that stribild can cause bone loss and kidney problems. The main side effect of stribild has been nerve pain behind the eyes, which is unbearable, stomach acid and gas irritation, and a sense of dread. I do not recommend switching if you are on stribild."

Jay (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 2, 2018

Genvoya (cobicistat / elvitegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide): "I have been on Genvoya for about 20 months and the medicine truly does work some huge side effects for me personally was weight gain. I was already at a healthy weight of 235 for my height but while being on this medication I gained 48lbs and for the life of me tried losing weight but couldn't get it down and I told my doctor and he insisted that it was my eating habits and not working out but after doing blood work and comparing all my test, we found out my cholesterol had tripled in numbers and my fatty cells which were at 93 in my blood had jumped to 444. So I am switching to biktarvy and hopefully that helps"

ll213 (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 8, 2018

Genvoya (cobicistat / elvitegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide): "Diagnosed 07/22/18 with cd4 578 viral load 654,000. I started taking Genvoya 8/30/18 after one month my cd4 count is 754 viral load of 1,130. My experience on Genvoya has not been good. For the first few days I have had vivid and triggering dreams. They stopped. Then I noticed a week or so later I was starting to develop bad muscle pains in my feet legs and hips. These pains are mainly sharp cramps (charlie horses) and would happen frequently in my sleep and whenever I was cold. It felts as if I ran for miles, everyday, just always fatigued and often short of breath. On top of that, I noticed my toes and fingers were sometimes unable to move. I would lose feeling in my pinkies and pointer fingers and would have to pull them back up into place. I am 24 y/o. I’m also transgender and on HRT, take 2mg of estradiol twice daily and 100mg spironolactone twice daily. My dr. informed me HRT and ART have no effect on each other and is now switching to triumeq."

Jaja Ruiz October 19, 2018

Genvoya (cobicistat / elvitegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide): "I was diagnosed back in June of 2018 and I have been having the worse side effects with on and off nausea, loss of appetite , dizzyiess , not being able too sleep. Granted My numbers have changed for the better but does it get better at all?"

VA26 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 4, 2018

Genvoya (cobicistat / elvitegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide): "To be completely honest, reading all of these reviews leaves me feeling skeptical. The formula of pronouncing CD4 (as if I can even remember mine in the horror of finding out I was positive) and vital load. My own experience was I researched the newest and best drug and spoke with my doctor about genvoya. We agreed that it would be a good option as it’s sort of like the new and improved atripla. I am awaiting my next appointment to check my VL and CD4 since I work overseas I’ve been on genviya for 6 months and don’t know how my lab work is coming just yet BUT I can speak on behalf of the side affects. Poor concentration, nerve pain in left side of head tricking down to neck, fatigue that baffles me, forgetfulness, digestive discomfort, sleep that’s never quite good enough.. cold extremities and weakness.I’m worried because it’s a tough pill to swallow that my meds make me feel worse, and I think a lot of people with honest and unsponsored reviews can relate ."

Link September 16, 2018

Genvoya (cobicistat / elvitegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide): "Genvoya has been great; have been on it over a year and switched to it from Stribild (which also worked great). I have been undetectable since 2012 and these two drugs are responsible. I take it each day around lunchtime. I have not experienced any side effects except for loose stool (sorry but true :)). Hope that helps."

RL September 7, 2018

Genvoya (cobicistat / elvitegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide): "After relocating to another state and having to switch Dr’s I was put on Genvoya. I took Atripla for 8 years with minimal usual issues (dreams, loose stools on occasion). Cd4 over 1200 and undetectable for 7 1/2 years. The first 6 months on Genvoya seemed great. Then it hit me. I felt like I had to pee every 15 minutes. I thought I had a urinary tract infection. Then I started having stomach pains all over various parts of my abdomen. My testicles would often hurt. Not to mention the severe gas (my poor partner). My arms and legs would get numb. I honestly felt like a was a ticking bomb. My lab results were great and revealed nothing bad going on with my kidneys or liver but I felt really crappy. My doctor switched me now to Biktarvy. After only 3 days off of Genvoya and things seem to be returning to normal. I hope these lingering side effects will go away entirely. Retired at 56 and wanting to enjoy life."

Hopeful (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 17, 2018

Genvoya (cobicistat / elvitegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide): "I'm very inconsistent when taking medication. My CD4 count was almost under 200, so I decided to take it more serious. My first medicine was Stribild. I loved that medicine, but, I ended up in the hospital for a week due to liver failure. I refused to take the medicine after that. So, my doctor prescribed Genvoya. I have no side effects like the rest on here BUTTTT...I've gained over 60 pounds! I went from 142 to 219 and growing. I had to buy new clothes a few months ago, and, now my pants are too tight again! I work in a professional setting and must wear suits. I can't afford to keep buying new clothes. It's very inconvenient. I'm going to the doctor on the 20th to see if they can switch my medicine. My diet and eating habit has always been the same, so, I don't know why I'm gaining weight uncontrollably. It's making me very insecure."

Kamari (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 8, 2018

Genvoya (cobicistat / elvitegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide): "Since taking the genvoya my legs are weaker and I can not walk or stand and have gotten dry eyes and sinuses problems, also blurry vision, and lumps in my legs. Doctors don't care to listen. They say it is works because my cd4 is 708 and my viral load is below 20. So I think the medication harms more parts in my body then stridilb did. Genvoya is not a good HIV medication"

Tanky (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 19, 2018

Genvoya (cobicistat / elvitegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide): "I shared some feedback about Genvoya about 1mo ago (under the same name - Dragon), and wanted to share more. After just 8wks on this drug my VL is 70 (from 33000) and my CD4 is 760 (from 510). I am so happy! My treatment nurse was all smiles delivering these results. I've had a Hep B and HPV innoculation today, too. We're monitoring my BP as from a regular norm of 140/95, today it was 101/90. This is good, but we're obviously aware of potential interactions, even though none are cited for my hypertension meds."

Dragon (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 17, 2018

Genvoya (cobicistat / elvitegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide): "Diagnosed positive on April 2018. (CD4 Cells:280) Started Genyova on mid-June 2018 and today I got my first blood test results. CD4 cells have gone up to 377 from 280 just in 20 days! CD4/CD8 ratio fall to %57 from %63. it seems like its working for me. As for the early side effects, I had a few. Severe sleeping problems in the first 2 weeks but it's getting better every week. I'm a heavy coffee drinker. I'm suspicious that Cobicistat might interact with caffeine as well. it's really easier to fall asleep on the days I consume less coffee. I also felt really tired in the first 2 weeks, plus muscle and joint aches. after first 4 weeks I feel better, no muscle pains. I don't have any clues for long term side effects but for now, I say Genvoya is effective and working."

Fabian (taken for less than 1 month) July 13, 2018

Genvoya (cobicistat / elvitegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide): "Hi everyone, wow awkward as this is, I’ve never shared my life story before. Back in 2016 I was diagnosed HIV + and for the first year I was dreading sleep, I didn’t want to die in my sleep. I first was on Stribild, and it wasn’t working enough. So then the doctors put me on Genvoya a year later now that Stribild is too expensive for my insurance to cover. Stribild would make me hurt constantly. Now, being on Genvoya I’m healthy though I was having diarrhea most nights. So I decided to go another route that is not FDA approved. I have added in Limu which is a seaweed.. My doctors have now ran tests and since then all my vitals are back to normal, my HIV is undetectable to where they can’t find any trace of my virus and my health is amazing. I’m no longer feeling pain, my headaches are gone. My CD4 count is extremely high. Now they say I may end up living to be a 100. Though I do stay on Genvoya for now. Let’s see what my future may bring."

Casper (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 7, 2018

Genvoya (cobicistat / elvitegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide): "I was diagnosed within approx. 3-4 weeks after infection, and the doctor prescribed Genvoya immediately after the results came back. I had been horribly sick for almost 10 days or more. Within a 2-3 days, I was feeling much, much better, and within a week or two, I felt completely healthy. I'm blessed in that I only had one or two issues with an upset stomach. Now, as long as I take it very regularly and with food, I've not experienced any side effects. I will be going in for six month tests within the next few weeks. I'm a bit worried about cholesterol as while it had been high, I managed to reduce it by a lot prior to taking Genvoya. In fact, here is a tip. I lost weight by going on Nutrisystem for 3-4 months (lost almost 30 lbs). Also, each morning, I mix some greens (spinach, kale mostly) with some fresh or frozen fruit and a scoop of protein powder. I also eat a lot more greens throughout the week, and I feel this has really helped bring down my cholesterol."

Guiseppe (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 1, 2018