User Reviews for Clotrimazole to treat Oral Thrush

Also known as: Clotrimazole Troche, Mycelex Troche

Clotrimazole has an average rating of 3.6 out of 10 from a total of 36 ratings for the treatment of Oral Thrush. 17% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 58% reported a negative effect.

Clotrimazole Rating Summary

3.6/10 average rating

Compare all 19 medications used in the treatment of Oral Thrush.

Reviews for Clotrimazole

C. Bee · Taken for less than 1 month June 23, 2019

“Somehow I came down with a case of thrush, no known risk factors. Dr. Prescribed clotrimazole 5x/day for 7 days. I did read the reviews before starting, which scared me! But I generally tolerate medications well, so I went ahead and filled it. 2 days later my mouth appears clear, no pain or redness, and I ZERO side effects, nothing. The only reason why I didn’t rate it a 10 is because it takes 15-30 mins to dissolve in mouth, which is annoying...the taste is not bad though”

Debo · Taken for less than 1 month October 11, 2020

“I was given Clotramizole tablets to treat thrush that developed from taken prednisone for aphthous ulcers. Cleared the thrush within 5 days. Prescription was 5 tablets a day for 14 days. My dentist states he has only prescribed this one other time, his usual go to is Nystatin (was not working for me). 0 side effects experienced. I personally recommend these tablets based off of my experience taking them.”

mizzy January 15, 2020

“I started out using Clotrimazole for thrush, it has been a saving grace for me. I don't have anything negative to say about the medicine . It clears my tongue up very well, here's the thing I've been dealing with this thrush problem for 18 years, it just want leave me alone. I just did some research and found out there are 19 other medicines and some mouth wash for thrush. I also believe my body may be infected with a fungus because it just keeps coming back. I'll have some relief for maybe 3-4 days and then it creeps back up! The medicine is very effective for my symptoms, it's just not taking care of the core of my problem.”

N/A · Taken for less than 1 month December 30, 2020

“Developed oral thrush, most likely from oral steroid inhalers. Just started taking Clotrimazole 5/7 days. Don’t seem to have any side effects. Not thrilled with the length of time for the tablet to dissolve. Since my symptoms started on a weekend (doc closed) I decided to rinse my mouth with warm saltwater a few times. It did seem to help. It’s one home remedy I haven’t seen mentioned here. Maybe it’ll be useful for someone else.”

DJ · Taken for less than 1 month February 26, 2021

“I started taking Clotrimazole for oral thrush 2 days ago.I have a large sum of phlegm in my throat. I now have the runs so bad that I can't get to the bathroom in time. I'm 70 years old and can't run fast enough. How humiliating!!!!”

Sore*as*shit · Taken for less than 1 month February 25, 2020

“This is horrible! Some how got severe oral thrush, in mostly back of throat and back part of tongue, luckily not on putter part of mouth! Tomorrow is my last day taking 5 a day/10days! Not helped! Throats even more swollen, gums and teeth sore, fever is here can’t speak at all and been outta work a full week today. Now their gonna scrape my throat and see if something is worsening! Don’t you think they should have started with this? Now want me off til at least Mon in case have to have microscopic surgery ”

CC · Taken for less than 1 month September 21, 2020

“I had very painful tongue with fissures and sore spots which made eating difficult. I used clotrimazole for 12 days with no side effects and experienced significant relief. Since my tongue isn't completely healed, my doctor is writing a refill for me to use a bit longer. I can eat again without pain!”

Anonymous November 27, 2010

Mycelex Troche (clotrimazole): “I found the Troche very easy to use and not in the least objectionable. I have used it as prescribed for 7 days but feel that it should have been issued for a longer period of time. My mouth and throat are still sensitive and burning.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month May 7, 2019

“Got diagnosed with a severe oral thrush/yeast infection. I was prescribed clotrimazole troche tabs 4x a day for 14 days. This medicine was completely ineffective. Didn’t touch the thrush/yeast AT ALL. Complete waste of time and money! If you have this issue and your doc wants to prescribe this medication, I would consider asking for an alternative. In my case, the only thing that has seemed to work has been nystatin mouth wash and fluconazole.”

Taylor J · Taken for less than 1 month February 18, 2019

“Started taking Clotrimazole 2 1/2 weeks prior and it helped take down the thickness of oral thrush, but it was still present. I’m almost done with my dosage and it’s still here. If you come down with thrush I would recommend asking for something different other than Clotrimazole because this stuff sucks.”

WhiteTongue · Taken for less than 1 month February 22, 2020

“This clotrimazole stuff is useless, 110% useless. After a week and a half there has been no change in my oral thrush so I decided "maybe if I use hydrogen peroxide mouthwash, a toothbrush, and a mouth scraper, I can clear up enough to give the meds a chance". Yeah no. Even when I cleaned my entire tongue by practically nuking it with peroxide, the white stuff came back and completely coated the tongue again. I'm 75% of the way through a treatment that boasts it helps you at the 25-50% mark. It's a chore to take 5x a day and doesn't do anything.”

Anonymous July 3, 2011

“Only second day into it. Too soon to say but could not prevent lozenge from dissolving in only about five minutes. Was alarmed at brilliant yellow color of stools but then figured it out. It is not necessarily a problem but I wish my nurse had warned me.”

PCPeony January 30, 2016

Mycelex Troche (clotrimazole): “I took 2 rounds of Mycelex Troche lozenges, 10 days each, 5 lozenges per day. I still have a raw area on inside of lower lip and do not feel "cured." I am going to ask my Doctor to try Diflucan next. I take a probiotic daily, a multi-vitamin and eat yogurt, yet this has never resolved.”

Cat · Taken for less than 1 month August 12, 2018

“Doesn't work, don't waste your time. Nystatin and Fluconazole are much better. As soon as I got rid of the thrush, I had a root canal done that became infected. Didn't want to take the antibiotic because I knew it would wipe out weeks of progress, but had to take it. Thrush came back with a vengeance. This time doc put me on two weeks on Clotrimazole, it did nothing. Disgusted, going to doc and asking for Fluconazole. I so want sugar and baked goods, it's been forbidden food for over two months. Mouth has been so sore on and off that I have lost 16 pounds, unable to eat every time I have to start a new course of treatment.”

GF19 August 29, 2017

“I just finished taking 5 tablets per day for 14 days. Although clotrimazole appeared to be helping after the first few days, it thereafter seemed to have no effect on my oral thrush. It is as bad now as it was before I started the medicine. I got the oral thrush from using Flonase, a corticosteroid. I do not have any other health problems.”

K · Taken for less than 1 month April 20, 2018

Mycelex Troche (clotrimazole): “Given this for 14 days. Other than the frequency of talking the tablets, it is easy to use and tastes fine. However, it did not resolve the issue ... and within 12 hours the symptoms were back, with little white blisters on my very sore tongue. Rebound? I don’t know, but this did not work for me. Dentist is having me wait for three days to see if it clears up! Ouch!”

Anonymous October 30, 2020

“Today is my first day taking clotrimazole and I pray to God it works. The on methadone so there are not many medications I can with it. So I originally took Nystatin which horrible and not effective. Than I took Diflucan which a good drug but I can’t take this with methadone it can cause an overdose. So know I waiting to if this is the last medication I will need to take and finally get rid of my oral thrush infection.”

Becca · Taken for less than 1 month March 11, 2018

“I have been taking the troche 10 mg and have experienced everything from panic attacks, hot cold chills with no fever, mouth was getting better but not any more plus I have the runs and dizzy. This stuff isn't very good seeing doc on Monday. However sadly to get better one has to cut out sweets, and processed foods.”

Mel · Taken for less than 1 month November 1, 2018

“2 rounds of clotrimazole & I still have thrush. Dr switched me to fluconazole. I’m praying it works. I’ll update after my round is over. I’ve only taken my 3rd pill tonight. But I would never use clotrimazole again. Cost way too much money to be so ineffective.”

Kathy · Taken for less than 1 month May 15, 2019

“After being on the clotrimazole medication for 2 days for oral thrusth I had severe itching over my entire body but mostly in my legs. Was up all night for the next 2 nights. Still waiting for this to stop. It has helped with the oral thrush but had to stop the medication due to side effects. Waste of money. Miserable now from itching.”

Ritz · Taken for less than 1 month November 26, 2019

“Let's see where do I start.. I started taking this drug last Thursday and I thought it would take care of my oral thrush while talking it I was still coughing nasty phlegm due to bronchitis on top of the thrush. I still am coughing and I have brightness to my throat tonsil swollen on the side of my tongue and I have build up discharge coming out of my throat it's a constant cough and spit up so nasty. It choking me so bad when I cough until I pee on myself I got tired of it so I called my doctor and told her what the medication was doing to me and a side effects she told me to stop taking it and I got the diflucan pills instead so I'm retreating my throat thrush again. This medicine is not good it made me cough more than anything kept me up all night having burning stinging and my throat is so raw I am not taking this ever again...”

doonhamer · Taken for less than 1 month December 26, 2016

“Been on it for 14 days, first few days showed a big improvement, but then seemed to stop working. Finished course and discomfort is back and getting worse. Will need to return to doctor. Unfortunately this is Christmas holiday and office is closed. Disappointed and worried that this condition will be difficult to get rid of.”

Tallaw · Taken for less than 1 month June 12, 2018

“I started this medication for oral thrush and after 3 days my gums swelled up to the point I couldn't close my mouth because my teeth would bite into my gums then I ended up with 3-4 blisters on my gums. I had to discontinue the medication and use gly oxide mouthwash alternating with hydrogen peroxide for the swelling of my gums and the blisters which has helped the swelling tremendously. However the thrush on my tongue is no longer visible will it stay gone? Too soon to tell. Not worth the agony.”

Warning! August 16, 2016

“I was given a prescription of Clotrimazole 10 mg Troche. It did not work for me and made my mouth raw with big single blisters 3 or 4. Scary stuff. I started Wednesday afternoon with one single dose and took the medicine for 4 more days. It made the taste of mouth worse. I had to stop it and let the physician know.”

Coco · Taken for less than 1 month July 31, 2020

“I have had oral thrush for 5 months brought on by steroids and antibiotics! I have taken diflucan and nystatin the entire time but will not go away! Doc suggestion trying clotrimazole! What I’m reading here is scaring me but I gotta try it! Nothing else is working!”

Learn more about Oral Thrush