User Reviews for Brimonidine

Also known as: Mirvaso

Brimonidine Rating Summary

3.7/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 88 medications used in the treatment of Rosacea.

Reviews for Brimonidine to treat Rosacea

Mirvaso (brimonidine): "I find Mirvaso works great when combined with an OTC hydrocortisone cream. No rebound at all!"

Karen (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 21, 2018

Mirvaso (brimonidine): "Wish I read the comments on here first. Worked wonderful for the first week, then slowly I had to use more and more to get the same effect. Eventually my face started breaking out in bad rashes and the rebound redness/heat was extreme. After I stopped using this gel (2-3 weeks) my face and eyes were still bright red and felt like they were on fire, also kept breaking out in bad dark red rashes. These nasty side effects lasted for roughly 1-1.5 months before disappearing completely. Strange how this medication worked so wonderfully for <7 days then caused so much distress. I would stay away from this gel!"

Trev (taken for less than 1 month) May 9, 2018

"It causes more redness and pimples on my nose"

Anku (taken for less than 1 month) May 2, 2018

Mirvaso (brimonidine): "Lifesaver! Here's the secret to applying Mirvaso. Firstly, Mirvaso is NOT meant to be worn everyday. Only occasional use. I only put it on before situations i normally flush or blush. Instructions: Wash face. Put a TINY pea sized amount on your fingertip with pea sized moisturizer on same finger tip. Rub them both into one cheek. Do same for other cheek. Apply regular meds (mine is metrogel) Then apply overall moisturizer. Then any makeup. Soon as you get home, wash/moisturize face. Sooner you wash it off the better. I have done this many times with no rebound effect. Seriously is my favorite drug for my rosacea. It's the only one that stops flushing/ blushing in it's tracks. Just last weekend we were visiting friends and i felt a blush episode coming. I excused myself to the bathroom to apply Mirvaso. 15 minutes later i re-entered with zero reddness. My anxiety went away, and i was relaxed and felt in control and able to enjoy my friends. Thank you Mirvaso!!"

Ashley (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 26, 2018

Mirvaso (brimonidine): "I have red sensitive skin on my face so my doctor instructed me to use this cream to cure it. It worked at the start, my skin went pale and no adverse reaction. Then after day 3 of using it my skin went on fire. Rebound redness is a thing and it burned my skin for hours on end. I couldn't leave the house for days. Worst cream in the world, does the opposite to what its supposed to do. Please DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON IT."

Tom (taken for less than 1 month) April 18, 2018

Mirvaso (brimonidine): "I wish I would have read these reviews before I put it on my face. My dermatologist gave this to me to use for redness along with a cream for the blemishes which I had already been using for a month with great results. Tonight I used for the first time for some a few lightly red areas. Within 3 hours I went into the bathroom and both my cheeks were entirely covered with a fire red rash. I only used a pea size on my entire face. I immediately washed it off and am now scared about how long this is going to stay or if it is ever gonna go away. Glad that I only had to pay $7 for it with my insurance. WARNING: READ REVIEWS AND DON'T USE. I have been an RN for over 20 years and believe that my dermatologist has no idea about the severity of the reactions...but I will be letting her know and I will never use it again."

mdrayerrn (taken for less than 1 month) April 8, 2018

Mirvaso (brimonidine): "Mirvaso works... at first. I had extremely MILD redness in my T-zone and I thought I'd try something to get rid of it. Although it made my skin look like Snow white during the day, as soon as it wore off (anywhere from 5-8 hours), I got horrendous rebound redness. There were days that it looked like I had a chemical burn on my face. The only discomfort I experienced was the intense heat from my skin during times of flare-ups...which was practically daily. NOTE: I showed my dermatologist pictures of the terrible redness after about 6 months to a year, and she told me: "You just have sensitive capillary beds." Please do not listen to your Dermo if you know your own skin! My skin was not bad before this treatment and after I discontinued it, my skin almost has returned to normal. I no longer get crazy flare-ups when I have a glass of wine, take a hot bath, or lay outside (with a sunhat mind you). This medication is not worth the 400 dollars for 50% of the time whiteness..."

unsatified (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 6, 2018

Mirvaso (brimonidine): "Ya, it works. For me it lasted about 10-12 hours. But the rebound isn't worth it. My face has never flushed as red or as often as it did after using this just once, and I've broken out in itchy red bumps in all the places I've flushed in. I'm flushing in places I have never flushed or barely ever flush. Rebound is definitely real, and I don't know how the trials for this med didn't find it to be a problem. MAYBE I'll use this for special occasions where I really want to look good for like a day. But I'd have to be a hermit for a week afterward because once it wears off, I look hideous. I don't recommend this drug."

Horroracea (taken for less than 1 month) March 24, 2018

Mirvaso (brimonidine): "I read all the reviews hopeful I wouldn’t be one of the ones with awful side effects! DO NOT use Mirvaso! The first day it was like a magic cream and the redness was gone for 10 hours. Second day about 6 hours and then my face would be redder than when I applied it. After a week of use I decided to not even use it and my face has been bright red and swollen and I have had a headache all day! My face feels like it is on fire! Nothing I do works to calm it and it is only getting worse not better. I will NEVER use Mirvaso again! Don’t use this awful cream!"

Shudson484 (taken for less than 1 month) March 8, 2018

Mirvaso (brimonidine): "This stuff is almost $500.00! Thought it made my flushing more intense, LIKE A LOT, and I was correct. I stopped using it, then thought, probably just my imagination, so after all winter and regular flushing, mild to moderate, on occasion...Now I look like I've been drinking, fighting and using a treadmill close to a fire. No bueno!"

Casey (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 5, 2018

Mirvaso (brimonidine): "This drug has changed my life. My nose has extreme flushing and since I started this product a week ago I have not flushed once even after I take a shower at night it seems like the product is still working. I have permanent redness on the side of my nose that comes back after 6 hours but nothing a little concealer can’t hide."

Mike (taken for less than 1 month) March 2, 2018

Mirvaso (brimonidine): "I was told I had very mild rosacea by my dermatologist at the beginning of 2017. I started using this product, and for the first 6 months, it was amazing! I thought I had found a miracle cream. Starting in the fall however, everything went downhill. My face started getting dark red/purple at around noon (about 5 hours after I applied Mirvaso). About a month later, the burning started. My face would get so hot, it felt like it was on fire. I saw a different dermatologist and they told me I probably just had dry skin. This was not the case. It is now February 2018 and I just figured out about 3 days ago that Mirvaso is what has been causing this. It worked for me for so long, so I don't know what caused the side effects to start happening. This is my third day without using it, and I still haven't noticed any difference. My face is still red and burning. I hope this product hasn't cause any permanent damage to my skin. Please do not buy it."

Nicole G. February 13, 2018

Mirvaso (brimonidine): "I was worried when I read the reviews but I have not had any bad experiences with this medication. I use it everyday but sparingly. I go through one container in about 4 months. Possibly these users with bad side effects are using too much? This product has changed my life. I highly recommend trying it."

Mjttt February 6, 2018

Mirvaso (brimonidine): "This product is a nightmare. The first day, yes, it did reduce redness. The next day, I noticed a red blotchy patches where I had applied the Mirvaso and they haven't gone away for several days. This is not my normal redness, and I am 100% sure it is a direct result of the Mirvaso because the blotches are exactly where I applied it. This product should not even be on the market- it does the exact opposite of what it's supposed to do."

McShe January 23, 2018

Mirvaso (brimonidine): "I used it for 3 days straight, worked wonderfully. The rebound redness would come on after about 5 or 6 hours, so I just put on more medicine. Started to have stomach issues, not sure if related but figured I'd stop the treatment to see if that fixed the issue. The rebound redness came back and 3 days later hasn't left. I had very mild rosacea before this, now I look as if I've been sitting near a fire. My face is so red it's almost purple, and it burns like crazy. I feel like my face is several degrees hotter than the rest of my body. I have NEVER had such a red face! I will ever use this stuff again. If you are going to try it, start out using a very very small amount, as maybe I used way too much. As for me, never again!"

Thomas Carter December 6, 2017

Mirvaso (brimonidine): "The side effects are no joke. I used it once and three days later I look and feel like I have a terrible wind burn on my face. Does it help initially? Yes, but the rebound is 10X worse than what you started with. I don't even have severe rosacea. Just moderate facial redness. I regret using it."

jen1239 November 20, 2017

Mirvaso (brimonidine): "The first few hours were a bliss, what happened afterwards was a horror show. It turned my skin purple and increased my flushing. Not only physically, but psychologically distressing as well, as I was worried I have effectively made my condition worse - luckily the side effects subsided after a month ( yes, a full month ). Do not recommend."

J-LA October 3, 2017

Mirvaso (brimonidine): "this product is absolutely not for me. I used a few times, felt faint, sleepy, after using my face was never hotter and worse. Will talk to my doctor tomorrow."

lily-lily September 17, 2017

Mirvaso (brimonidine): "First and last time I will use this rubbish stuff called Mirvaso. I wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy. If you want your face to look like a pomodoro (or bright red tomato!) then please do use this, that's how bad a rash you'll get."

Gingers Have Souls (taken for less than 1 month) August 14, 2017

Mirvaso (brimonidine): "I have used Mirvaso since it came out. Obviously, it works great, but there is a learning curve for getting the most benefit from it. It has really helped my rosacea."

Ben 1959 July 12, 2017

"Having this cream prescribed to me by my doc I noticed no difference in the redness of my skin in the beginning (maybe worse redness if anything) after using it for several days my face became extremely red, very itchy, sore, sensitive and my face became swollen so I called my doc and she told me to stop using immediately. After that, I had another bad experience with another cream so I stopped using that one and decided to go back to the Mirvaso and I started noticing positive changes in my skin. My face would turn white and normal. Have been using Mirvaso daily for two years, I have my good days and I have my really bad days. Severely effects my life just in every way possible."

Fed up and tired June 28, 2017

Mirvaso (brimonidine): "It took me a long time before I had the courage to use this product. My Dr mentioned mirovosa to me. I wanted to find out more about it and began researching. After reading all of the horrible reviews I was very scared to even try this. But I was also tired of my red and makeup does not cover well. I was desperate and decided to give it a try. After the first couple of days I was amazed. Though I kept waiting for the bad to come. So far my face has done pretty good. The mirvosa takes away most of the red. For once my face looks like it used to before I had rosacea. The huge downfall is it only lasts for about 6 hours. I hope they can improve and make its effectiveness last a lot longer."

Nab24 May 6, 2017

Mirvaso (brimonidine): "I have mild/moderate rosacea with no bumps. My dermatologist recommended I try a new topical gel called Mirvaso and I started using it every day in January 2014. At first, everything was going awesome. Would reapply when redness/heat would start. Side effects gradually took hold. Rebound redness was 10x worse than originally. My face would randomly flush. It would burn so bad and go completely cherry red. My original problem was nowhere near that bad. Eventually, I got weeping rashy patches all over my face. The gel reduced in effectiveness to the big mess it caused. I finally weaned myself off this vicious cycle in September 2014. Had to walk around looking like a freak. Took forever to return to normal. NOT WORTH IT!"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 3, 2017

"Still recovering from rebound 4 months later. Horrible product"

Jay551 (taken for less than 1 month) February 17, 2017

Mirvaso (brimonidine): "Mirvaso has really made a difference for me & I'm honestly shocked by the poor reviews. I have a history of terrible, lifelong acne. Even after using Accutane I still had a lot of redness. My current acne/rosacea meds: Oracea, Atralin cream in the PM, & in the AM Mirvaso for face & Onexton gel for acne around jawline. It might seem like a lot but it beats going on another round of Accutane or adding more pills. I have VERY sensitive skin, so when I first started using Mirvaso I only did a tiny drop MIXED IN with my daily face moisturizer. My derm did not tell me to do this---this was from reviews read online. I very gradually got my skin used to this and after 1 yr I still love it. I get minimal rebound redness but I do use it every day."

AguaRN (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 11, 2017