This material must not be used for commercial purposes, or in any hospital or medical facility. Failure to comply may result in legal action.
is pus-filled fluid in the pleural space due to infection. The pleural space is between your lungs and the inside of your chest cavity. Pleural empyema is usually caused by pneumonia. A plural empyema can become a medical emergency that needs immediate treatment.
Common signs and symptoms:
- A dry cough, or shortness of breath
- Chest pain that gets worse when you breathe deeply
- Heavy sweating, or night sweats
- Fever and chills
- Weight loss without trying
Seek care immediately if:
- You have new or worsening symptoms, such as shortness of breath or chest pain.
Contact your healthcare provider if:
- You have a fever.
- You have questions or concerns about your condition or care.
may include any of the following:
- Antibiotics are usually given to treat a bacterial infection. This medicine is given to treat pneumonia. You may not get antibiotics if your empyema is not caused by pneumonia.
- A drain or chest tube may be placed to remove fluid from the pleural space.
- Thoracotomy is a procedure used to drain fluid from around your lungs and clean out pus and any scarring. Ask your healthcare provider for more information on this procedure.
- Surgery may be used to help your lungs expand more easily and fully.
Manage your symptoms:
- Do not smoke. Nicotine and other chemicals in cigarettes and cigars can cause lung damage. Ask your healthcare provider for information if you currently smoke and need help to quit. E-cigarettes or smokeless tobacco still contain nicotine. Talk to your healthcare provider before you use these products.
- Drink liquids as directed. Liquids can help soothe your throat if you have a dry cough. Liquids can also help relieve fluid buildup. Ask your healthcare provider how much liquid to drink each day and which liquids are best for you.
- Rest as needed. Rest can help your body heal. Rest is also important if you feel more tired than usual.
- Eat a variety of healthy foods. Healthy foods include fruits, vegetables, whole-grain breads, low-fat dairy products, lean meats, fish, and beans. You may need to eat more if you are losing weight without trying.
Follow up with your healthcare provider as directed:
Write down your questions so you remember to ask them during your visits.
© Copyright IBM Corporation 2021 Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of A.D.A.M., Inc. or IBM Watson Health
The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.