User Reviews for Tamiflu

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Tamiflu.

Swine Flu

Influenza Prophylaxis
2.2

Summary of Tamiflu reviews 5.3 344 reviews

Reviews for Tamiflu

For Influenza "I was diagnosed with Influenza A (very ill) and prescribed Tamiflu (1 pill twice a day, every 12 hrs). When I took it the first day (morning), within 10 minutes I was feeling much better. I did as the doctor said and bought gallons of water and Gatorade to help keep me hydrated. I was on my second day of medication and started with side effects—night time continuum coughing, pain behind the eyes that became progressively worse into day 3 of meds, a weird pain/exhaustion with lifting my arms, like by my armpits (I wish I could describe it better), nausea, sore throat, incredibly dehydrated. I was definitely hydrating (a gallon of water and more a day and 3 gatorade bottles along with soups, broths, teas) but it wasn’t enough. Also, please note there can be a change in your urine. It can become foamy—important to hydrate and electrolytes. I was also constipated and took a natural lax (prune juice). All this to say, tamiflu helps, but it does have side effects. Listen to your body."

DellMo (taken for less than 1 month) February 18, 2018

For Influenza "Took the medicine within 18 hours of onset of symptoms. I have had zero side effects and am on my 4th day of treatment. My symptoms are much milder than they have been in years past when I have gotten the flu. My two children, ages 4 and 1, are on the prophylactic dose and have not had any noticeable side effects. They hate the taste but no other issues. I can’t help but wonder if some of what is being attributed to the drug is actually a symptom of the flu itself based on some of the anecdotes in these reviews...."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 18, 2018

For Influenza "I took it about 36 hours after my first symptoms. I got it for free through my health insurance. This all happened by going to my Urgent care, the Dr. Tested me for influenza and it came back positive. If I could go back in time I would not have taken the Tamiflu, and if I ever get the flu again I'm not going to take the Tamiflu. I rather chop up a clove of garlic and take it raw with water, at least that makes me feel better. In the other hand every time I took tamiflu it made me feel worse. This flu I had while taking Tamiflu was one of the worse ones I had, while my uncle who just took garlic handled it much better than I, and we got sick around the same time. I feel Tamiflu made the flu more intolerable."

Flipboard (taken for less than 1 month) February 18, 2018

For Influenza "I came down with the flu on a Friday and I just thought it was the common cold. I found on Monday it was flu type A, so I was prescribed tamiflu. On Tuesday I felt better, but on Thursday I became very lightheaded, moody, fatigued, and started having bad respiratory problems especially a hacking hoarse itchy cough. It's terrible and I don't recommend this medication. I stopped taking the medication after 4 days & I'm miserable."

MicahSmith February 18, 2018

For Influenza "I just finished my last pill of Tamiflu and I couldn’t be more happier that I’m done with the treatment. This drug is powerful; though it did help my curb my flu in the first few days, I wonder if it was worth it. I’ve experienced severe dehydration, insomnia and nausea through out my experience. Those side effects got progressively worst throughout my time taking it. I caution anyone who takes this potent drug; it does effect your personality as I found myself a little irritable and on edge. Overall it helped but it may not be worth the risk ... I just hope I go back to normal tomorrow!"

Bert860 February 18, 2018

For Influenza "I got sick at night ( headache, body ache, fever of 104.8, runny nose, exhausted...) I went the the doctors the next afternoon. I tested positive for Influenza A. She prescribed Tamiflu. I took the medicine when I got home and after a couple hours my symptoms where improving it’s the next day and I feel so much better all ready I was sceptical but I really am amazed. I have not had any stomach upsets yet but I’m only on my second pill and I’ve been taking it with crackers."

Npickle85 February 14, 2018

For Influenza "Tamiflu is not for everyone. Buyer beware! Please think about taking this drug before taking it and moreover spending your money on this. It will not cure the flu. Made my sister feel really bad this drug will keep you "wired" certainly counter indicates getting any needed rest or sleep. The racing feeling will stay with for 12 hours equivalent to taking one dose. Some have experienced restless legs syndrome and psychological side effects. Extreme hyper activity. As a result a provider recommended her to stop this drug. She's been taking the tamiflu now 2 days and has to stop it 3 days early. Doctor says this drug may not be worth it for some people since the side effects may outweigh the benefits. Some side effects may be life threatening and in the end only shortens the flu by 1 day. Hope anyone reading this experiencing this terrible flu gets better."

Not worth taking (taken for less than 1 month) February 14, 2018

For Influenza "I saw my doctor and was positive for H1N2. At the same time my ears had fluid, throat was raw with some swollen glands and my back and ribs were hurting pretty bad from 2 days of coughing. I picked up Azithromycin (ZPack) and Oseltamivir Phosphate( Tamiflu) at Pharmacy. I took all 3 pills (2 from Z pack) and the Oseltamivir about 9:00 pm with an English muffin (plain) and a half cup of unsweetened applesauce. Pretty soon afterward I began to experience severe pain in my stomach that got progressively worse, then the dry heaves began. I contemplated taking myself to the ER but didn't want to get exposed to more sickness. Today my stomach is so sore and tender that I can't even entertain the idea of taking either pill not knowing which one or both was the culprit, but I heard azithromycin is hard on the stomach. FYI ...My flu symptoms were headache( unrelenting), and a croupy cough which started rapidly on 2/9/18. I had already been suffering with a runny nose all winter."

Undersea February 13, 2018

For Influenza "I never have gotten the flu but was diagnosed a couple days ago along with my 1 year old son. Within 30 minutes he puked 4x on the liquid, I tried it and I will say it did help me actually get some sleep and helped me take my migraine away. I've been taking two tylenol extra strengths on top of this. Only symptom is diarrhea/ and possibly vomiting (I feel nauseous)"

Meghan70297 February 13, 2018

For Influenza "Only on day 3 of 5 but I really feel like it's working. Despite the side effects, which for me has been headache, insomnia and fatigue (bc of the insomnia). I feel wired. Like my brain doesn't want to sleep even though my body does! However, the flu is not progressing at this point (knock on wood!) No high fever or chills. Think I caught it early. I would take again for sure."

AJC66 February 13, 2018

For Swine Flu "It did make me feel nauseous each time I took it but it did help me feel better the next day maybe because I took it in 48hour time frame"

Hzcb February 12, 2018

For Influenza "I commented below recently using the name MaryO12086. I'm on my last day of pills and wanted to give an update. When I first started taking these pills I got the worst headaches and felt extremely tired and weak which would last for 3 hours but on my third day of taking the pills this no longer happened. I started feeling a lot better! I'm now on day 5 (last day) of the pills and I feel great. There is one other issue that I now have though. On day 3 of taking the pills I developed some type of irritation on the roof of my mouth. I'm stuck eating bananas, bread, and avocados because everything else touches the irritation and stings really badly. This is my last day of taking tamiflu so I'm hoping that after I'm done it will heal and I can go back to living life normally! The side effects of these pills suck but they did work for me which is why I now give them a 7/10. The flu is really scary this year so I'm glad I was able to finish my course."

MaryO86 (taken for less than 1 month) February 12, 2018

For Influenza "I was diagnosed with the flu over the weekend and started on Tamiflu. After 24 hours on Tamiflu, my fever broke and all of my symptoms were less intense. I also have not noticed any side effects of the drug. I highly recommend Tamiflu to anyone dealing with the flu!"

KimSchmitt February 12, 2018

For Influenza "Dreyson has never had an ear infection in his life. He had his ears checked in the office when they diagnosed him with influenza. Day 3 he started crying and yelling he couldn't hear out if his right ear. I stopped the med that day in researched similar side effects. I found one woman. He still to this day a month and a half later still has little to no hearing in his ear."

Dreymomma (taken for less than 1 month) February 11, 2018

For Influenza "My wife and I we both got flu in 2 weeks apart. Our Doctor suggested Tamiflu . We both have bluehshield Silver and even with that policy we had to pay $120.00 to get the pil . I truly believe that this drug is a scam. It's a waste of money and doesn't do anything. And when you call and ask why this medicine doesn’t work, their answer is : you have start taking it within 24 hours when you get flu. Now my question is , dose anyone know when exactly you got the flu and then count the hours?????? Goodness knows who is behind this , perhaps somebody is making billions with this scam"

Edward motag February 10, 2018

For Influenza "My 11 son was having flu symptoms, sore throat , coughing and high temp. A day after taking tamiflu he had extreme diarrhea , after the second day he had hives and I stopped the tamiflu. I called the doctor and they said kids could get hives with the flu and watch his breathing . When his hives got worse I took him right in to urgent care. The doctor was concerned but said he didn't think it was from the Tamiflu. I'm not convinced it wasn't, my son has never had hives. He was going to give him a steroid shot but decided he was too young. He was given three medications and is this morning hive free. My daughter who is 15 took Tamiflu and did ok with it. I would not take the risk with this drug again. I don't think the benefits are worth the risk. I talk to a pharmacists who said it doesn't help with symptoms very much and you might get better one day earlier. Really think before you give it to kids."

Angiiee (taken for less than 1 month) February 10, 2018

For Influenza "I started off with a fever and aches . I got tested (pos) started Tamiflu Day 3 have this awful smell it makes me feel sick. I don't know if I can take it 2 more days."

CJeanK February 10, 2018

For Influenza "My wife had the flu so I know it was just a matter of time. Sure enough while driving into work it hit me hard and fast. Went to the Dr and tested positive for influenza A. Was given Tamiflu and took it right away. I'm on day 3, my symptoms are still here - fever, body aches, light headed but no cough or congestion. I have not had the side effects of nausea, but I have been constipated, lost taste(everything tastes bitter), and have extreme joint pain. Not sure if this is my flu or side effects from Tamiflu. Being sick really sucks."

Jared O (taken for less than 1 month) February 10, 2018

For Influenza "This is amazing! From being so sick, not being able to hardly move to call Dr., I was so nauseated, bone chilling pain, headache, weak, I was miserable ! This drug is pricy, however by the next day I was up making myself some food, still a little weak however not laying in bed sick as a dog!! The side effects that others are talking about are the same side effects of the flu, so I'm not sure it's fair to blame it on the drug. I say take tamiflu and get going again!"

H.O. February 9, 2018

For Influenza "I came down w/ a fever of 102.8 two nights ago but was able to get it down that night so didn't go to urgent care (none were open at 10pm In my area) or the ER. The next afternoon I was still feeling sick (w/o a fever this time) so went to urgent care where I was given a prescription for tamiflu. I'm on my third pill now and have noticed some things. 1) as soon as I take the pill I get the worst migraine headache ever in life which not even advil or Tylenol can fix. 2) I feel tired and weak for about 4 hours after taking the pill to the point where I need to be in bed for all 4 hours and then I feel fine again. 3) Once the migraine, fatigue, and weakness wears off I do feel better but it is only until my next dose and then the cycle starts all over again. I honestly don't know if I can finish these pills. The side effects are almost just as bad as the flu. I read that Enchinea and Elderberry works just as good as tamiflu but without the side effects so I ordered some pills on Amazon."

Mary12086 (taken for less than 1 month) February 9, 2018

For Influenza "My husband who has a compromised immune system was diagnosed with influenza A after having symptoms (101 fever and flat on his back) for a day and a half. He was prescribed Tamiflu and within a day he was sitting up doing work from home. Two days after his diagnosis I started having symptoms. My doctor prescribed Tamiflu. What a lifesaver!!! Within in a day I was at 50% and by the next day I was feeling 100% well. My husband and I didn't have any side effects that we noticed. By the way, we both got flu shots. I am so thankful for Tamiflu because this flu could have killed my husband. FYI... I have never felt compelled to comment on anything on the internet. Also as a footnote in 2013 my daughter was diagnosed with the Swine flu H1N1 and was prescribed Tamiflu. No side effects and was jogging in a week."

Happywithnoflu February 9, 2018

For Influenza "I was experiencing chest heaviness and nasal congestion with the flu. Tamiflu helped me quickly to relive my breathlessness energy and nasal issues. THANKS!"

Kate1238 February 9, 2018

For Influenza "I started aching in my chest at 500pm by 600pm I started coughing non stop by 700pm my shoulder muscles were aching around 900pm or 1000pm I felt like I was getting a fever but I didn’t know because I was still at work. Finally got home around 200 am took my temperature and it was 102 I had chills and my gums even hurt I knew I had the flu. Fortunately I had Tamiflu on hand and started taking it within 9 hrs of starting flu like symptoms. That night I kept the fever but my coughing became less the next morning no fever felt little dizzy but fatigued. Rested that whole day in bed the following day I felt cured unbelievable how this medicine works if you catch the flu early enough."

Bottecchia (taken for less than 1 month) February 9, 2018

For Influenza "I was diagnosed with type B influenza this morning and was prescribed Tamiflu. I was feeling pretty good until I took it. The chills came back and the cough got worse and I cannot breathe through my nose. Now that the Tamiflu is wearing off, I am starting to feel better. I paid $106.00 for my prescription, now I am wondering if I should keep taking it? or throw it away? :("

Peachypie84 February 9, 2018

For Influenza "I think it is fair to say that the purpose of this drug is to alleviate the symptoms of the flu, and it does a great job of that. But at what cost? I am in the high risk group and I had to come to a decision. Almost immediately this medication had me vomiting with a complete loss of bladder control for the 34 hours that I was taking it. At the time I thought that I was just that sick, although in all of my 54 yrs. I had never experienced this. The headache was massive, and I was unable to sleep longer than 2 hrs. at a time, but the fever was gone, and the coughing decreased. I decided to stop the medication and 24 hrs. later, I have my bladder control back, and headache is gone. I'm still unable to tolerate anything but water, and a bad fit of coughing will still have me vomiting. Unless your life depended on it, I would stay away from Tamiflu."

FriskyFreddie (taken for less than 1 month) February 8, 2018