User Reviews for Tamiflu to treat Influenza

Tamiflu has an average rating of 6.0 out of 10 from a total of 475 ratings for the treatment of Influenza. 51% of those users who reviewed Tamiflu reported a positive effect, while 37% reported a negative effect.

Tamiflu Rating Summary

6.0/10 average rating

Compare all 44 medications used in the treatment of Influenza.

Reviews for Tamiflu

Hi · Taken for less than 1 month March 8, 2020

“Took 1 dose and had the worse nausea and then vomited 6-7 times and continued to feel horrible. I simply cannot continue the rest.”

Kat · Taken for less than 1 month February 28, 2020

“We have had this last year for type A, and this year for type B. I don’t know if it truly makes a difference. No one in my family gets side effects from it, and I think it is expensive. We do get flu vaccine, but the kids bring it home from a school.”

Cindy Lou February 28, 2020

“After mild symptoms of upper respiratory symptoms the day before, I awoke the next morning with 103.9F temp and thinking I might need to be hospitalized. My primary care physician had 1 sick visit slot open (thank goodness). By history and physical she diagnosed the flu and prescribed Tamiflu. I took the first dose and went back to bed. 6 hours later I felt better and no fever. I agree it is miraculous!”

Flo123 · Taken for less than 1 month February 16, 2020

“I woke up with a fever, body aches, chills and slight congestion and when my fever got pretty high and wouldn’t break I decided to go to the doctor. She did a basic checkup and decided I had the flu and prescribed me Tamiflu. She’d told me to take two pills that day with food. I took the first pill with a meal and within 10 minutes was uncontrollably vomiting. Over the span of three hours I vomited over and over again. Couldn’t keep anything down and even after all the food and liquids were out of my system I was vomiting bile. Literally the worst stomach cramps I have ever had in my life and my pain tolerance is pretty high. I ended up in the ER and had to have an IV for the pain and because I was so severely dehydrated. Awful experience and I would never EVER recommend such a dangerous drug to anybody. Also the doctor at the ER said it wasn’t a good quality drug and he never prescribed it to anyone because of the severe side effects.”

Rudi · Taken for less than 1 month December 21, 2019

“I was given this medication for precautionary measures since I was around family members that had the Flu. What a mistake. I wasn’t sick until I took this. After 5 doses I couldn’t stand the nausea anymore. Worse I have ever had. I was even taking Zofran for nausea but it did not help. It’s been 3 days since my last dose and I still feel like rubbish. I have completely lost my appetite. Trying to eat crackers and trying to stay hydrated. I have lost 10 lbs in 5 days. Never again. I just pray I start feeling better soon. I don’t recommend this medication to anyone.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month August 30, 2019

“Very bad mental side affects . Psychosis: anxiety, manic delusions , paranoia , pain 2 years later, I have been diagnosed as schizophrenic and am still chronically symptomatic. Have to take a SSRI and benzodiazepine just to ease the intensity of the symptoms . I am now on disability and unable to work. Even worse, my mind is a torture every day , and all doctors ranging from specialists to psychiatrists have no idea what to do. This all was induced my tamiflu. This drug has ruined my life.”

Melsh March 15, 2014

“I rarely get sick but by the time I left work on Thursday I had the chills and a fever of 102. Went to Patient First Walk in clinic on Friday morning because I couldn't get in to see my doctor. They confirmed I had the flu. Prescribed Tamiflu and after the 2nd dose my fever is gone and I feel close to normal. The key is catching it in the first 24-48 hours.”

JJinNV · Taken for less than 1 month December 17, 2014

“Tamiflu rocks! Had horrible chills, headache, cough, body aches, and temperatures over 101. Took my first pill on the second day of the flu and was 60% better the following morning and feeling almost normal by that afternoon. No side effects that I could tell. I had a flu shot but got it anyway. Just my luck.”

Sally · Taken for less than 1 month January 12, 2020

“I was prescribed this for influenza a. I almost didn't take it because my symptoms, while tough, were not THAT severe. NO high fever, no bad cough, etc. But since the doctor prescribed it, I decided to take it. Basically, I spent $50 to feel WORSE. About an hour after taking it, I started to have a serious headache, and then the nausea and stomach pain started. I was up literally all night vomiting and clutching my stomach. This morning I was so out of it and was dehydrated due to the vomiting. I am not taking any additional doses. What a waste of money and a dangerous drug.”

Randy · Taken for less than 1 month February 13, 2019

“My husband became psychotic on day 3, choked me and then killed himself. Where is our FDA? Where is the makers of Tamiflu? You took a husband, father, grandfather, great grandfather, brother and friend from many. No one seems to care.”

Summer · Taken for less than 1 month August 24, 2019

“I'm a generally healthy 32 year old female. I work in the ER of a busy hospital so I'm no stranger to the flu. The body aches, the headaches, cough, congestion, fever, etc etc etc. Well this time I unfortunately tried oseltamivir. This this was the worst med I have tried. Horrible horrible vomiting, horrible horrible nausea, and the hallucinations!!!!!!!! I have zero history of hallucinations, I was having full on conversations with people who didn't exist. The side effects were so bad I ended up in the ER. Never have I ever experienced anything like this from any flu, cold, infection or medication, and I had only taken 2 pills from the whole pack. Users beware. If it happened to me it can happen to you too.”

Kwill714 March 14, 2014

“Symptoms on Monday afternoon and went to doctor on Wednesday morning. Nasal positive test for flu. By 2nd dose fever broke and felt better. Has caused insomnia and/or only able to sleep for short periods (1-3 hrs at a time) and wild dreams. Also some ringing in my ears. Took all doses with food.”

KB · Taken for less than 1 month December 16, 2019

“I took Tamiflu about a year or so ago and I experienced some of those severe side effects. I dealt with hallucinations and really dark thoughts which lead to me being baker-acted (hospitalized for mental health/self harm threat). I didn't attribute the stomach pains and nausea that I experience to the med until I read through these comments and now I realize that those symptoms were very much present as well. I had multiple panic attacks while this was in my system and I had never previously had one in my life. This absolutely was the worst experience of my life and I'm only thankful that I didn't ultimately harm myself or anyone else when I did take it. I would've much rather dealt with the flu than the side effects I ended up experiencing. I hope no one else is having a similar or worst experience.”

Mel · Taken for less than 1 month October 9, 2019

“I was diagnosed with the flu then prescribed this. Maybe it helps you get one day less of being sick, but the auditory hallucinations were not worth it. I was convinced I was going crazy until I discovered that hallucinations can happen (thanks for the info, doc). It’s really hard on your body. I suggest no one takes this.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month December 2, 2014

“I am 40 years old, fever for three days wih chills and body aches. Went to the Clinic and had a temp of 103.4 within a couple hours of taking Tamiflu with Mortrin (advised by the Doctor) my fever was down to 99 degrees. I just took my second dose and starting to feel better. It was $124 with insurance but totally worth it.”

snug · Taken for less than 1 month May 31, 2019

“I followed directions and took this with food, within 2 hours I started experiencing nausea which would lead to vomiting. This cycle then repeated itself several times. I ended up vomiting 5 times within 2 hours. The weird thing is that even when my stomach was completely emptied out and I had stopped consuming anything, even water, I kept vomiting but nothing would come out. This was a much worse experience than the flu itself, not worth it to knock out only 1 day of illness. I would only take this if you are at high risk of developing pneumonia and are otherwise unhealthy/immuno-compromised, I would not give to children at all. I understand Tamiflu works fine for some people but it really is a risky dice roll and I will not be taking it again or finishing the regimen. They should change the advertising on this to say "For when you want to feel worse than the Flu"”

John · Taken for less than 1 month July 19, 2019

“My doctor prescribed me 75mg of Tamiflu 2 times a days. It did nothing to me but make me throw up, I don’t understand the purpose of it at all. Everything online says it may shorten your influenza by a day...I did not throw up one time before Tamiflu. Why is this medicine given to people? Horrible product with horrible side affect with a slight chance of shortening your symptoms.”

B August 22, 2019

“My husband was prescribed tamiflu and an hour after taking one pill he was up all night vomiting and felt way worse than before. I've never seen him so sick in my life it was terrible. I would not recommend this medicine to anyone.”

Joshua's Mom · Taken for less than 1 month March 2, 2014

“My 11 month old son had a fever of about 103. After a strict rotation of Motrin and Tylenol (as directed over the phone by our pediatrician) we managed to keep the fever down until the next morning when we could get to the office. He tested positive for influenza, and the doctor prescribed Tamiflu. I was a bit skeptical because of my son's age, but followed doctors orders. Twenty four hours after the first dose, my son was chasing the dog around the living room at full speed, giggling relentlessly. I made sure to always give the medicine on a full tummy, and he didn't seem to have any unpleasant side effects. I am definitely sold on this medication.”

Nick · Taken for less than 1 month December 11, 2019

“Be aware of the side effects before taking this medication. The doctor said I had the flu and prescribed me tamiflu. 75mg every 12 hours. I started having headaches and shortly after that I started vomiting severely with intense abdominal pain. I had to rush to the hospital because the stomach pain was unbearable. When I got to the hospital the doctor told me to stop taking tamiflu. I’m still feeling the abdominal pain but not as bad and still can’t eat anything. Never again will I be taking this medication!!”

Gigi · Taken for less than 1 month January 30, 2020

“Awoke with flu Monday morning...full on symptom’s of aches, fever, chills and sweating and plenty of dry coughing. By day 3 of the flu and still having a fever, I went to see my doc who prescribed Tamiflu. I’d never taken nor heard of it. Took the first dose yesterday and felt the same with two huge sweats . Awoke this morning feeling much better than previous day. Took 3rd dose of Tamiflu this morning and by now, mid-day, I’m feeling like I’m quite a bit better. Residual body aches and occasional cough, but nothing like previous days of the flu ! And no side effects whatsoever.”

Concernedmom · Taken for less than 1 month November 21, 2019

“My son (14 years) was given this within the allotted time frame for FluB. Yesterday, on the afternoon of day two he complained of nausea & I told him not to drink milk since I was raised milk & the flu don't mix. He woke me at 2 a.m. last night with SEVERE abdominal pain (night of day 2). I tried the heating pad but he didn’t want to even have it touch him. Luckily I had ginger ale on hand and gave him that. I immediately started reading side effects and discovered he was having one. I called his pediatrician to tell her we were stopping it & she confirmed that abdominal pain was a side effect & it was ok to stop. The saddest thing is while my son suffered in pain he shook his head and said, “ this medicine is too strong.” How he knew that I can only guess he was listening to his body. Of course I felt bad having my kid take this but since stopping no more abdominal pain.”

Colleen · Taken for less than 1 month September 16, 2019

“After taking the second dose of Tamiflu I began to throw up unconditionally. I could eat or drink anything for over a day. I only took 3 doses. Not worth it at all! Just makes you very sick. Now it's been 4 days since I took my last dose of 3 pills, and I can still hardly stomach food & my stool is pale.”

MK · Taken for less than 1 month November 20, 2019

“Tested positive for flu type b and was given this awful stuff on Friday. By Sunday I could barely walk, was so nauseous, had extreme sensitivity to smells, lights and sounds and an odd headache. I had horrible stomach cramps and pains. I stopped taking the medicine on Sunday. On Tuesday I am still feeling flu symptoms on top of the nausea, sensitivity, zero appetite and strange headache. I have never been so sick. I would never recommend this drug to anyone and cannot wait until it’s out of my system completely. I cannot believe that they are selling this stuff as ‘medicine’.”

PVA · Taken for less than 1 month February 21, 2014

“I was recovering from bacterial pneumonia and feeling very, very good. Suddenly my cough returned, I had the chills, was running a fever and felt achy all over. I was able to get into the Doc immediately, was swabbed for influenza and tested positive for Influenza Type A. Tamiflu was ordered. Day one I was able to take one pill, this is day 3 and I feel at least 90% better. No side effects and thankful I went back to my physician for follow-up care. PS. I had both the pneumonia and flu shot this year. Thank you, Tamiflu.”

jesswilkin December 11, 2019

“This is the worst "medicine" I have ever taken... I went to urgent care and it was prescribed to me, the next morning I took one pill and within 30 minutes I started vomiting. I vomited 4 times within 1 hour and then was dry heaving. Then I did a little bit of research on the drug and some of these reviews are scary! Hallucinations? Really?! its not worth it, don't waste your money and time. I would rather suffer through the flu than EVER take another one of those pills again. I learned my lesson, always do some research before taking a new medication. My doctor didn't mention any side effects to me, nor did the packaging mention any.”

Janelle Levesque January 8, 2014

“I took this medicine the night I spiked a temp of 102.9 and a few hours later I was able to sleep, I woke up and my fever was nearly gone, the coughing, body aches, and sweating were too. Mid-day I felt very good, I felt like I was going to be hospitalized before the medicine started to work, I was really sick. The one thing is the Tamiflu makes me real tired and I feel a little disoriented and dizzy, but I take that over the way I felt.”

FeelingGood · Taken for less than 1 month January 12, 2020

“Over the course of 6 hours I went from mild neck pain to full 9/10 body pain, splitting headache, and 101.5 fever. Stopped at urgent care where I laid for three hours. Tested positive for Flu A. Given tamiflu, and recommended to alternate Advil and Tylenol. Took first dose on an empty stomach, had a night of cold sweats (but still slept well), and woke up with only a mild headache and low grade fever. Having not eaten for 24 hours, took the next dose with soup and crackers. I’m now on dose 6 of 10. Fever and headache are gone, even without Advil/Tylenol. No other symptoms have cropped up—GI or respiratory. I’ve been mostly in bed resting for two days straight, but feel good enough to join the family again today. Tamiflu was a true godsend. I thought that was it for me two days ago and now I’m on my feet again like nothing happened.”