Can I drink alcohol if I'm taking Tamiflu?
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on April 10, 2023.
There is nothing in the prescribing information to suggest that it is a problem drinking alcohol while you are taking Tamiflu. In general, drinking any amount of alcohol while fighting an infection may not be wise, as it can lead to dehydration, interrupt normal sleep, and may hinder the body’s natural ability to heal itself.
What can be done to prevent or treat the flu?
- Avoid spreading germs: You can decrease your chance of getting lung infections and other illnesses by doing the following:
- Do not touch your eyes, nose, or mouth unless you have washed your hands first.
- Always cover your mouth when you cough. It is best to cough into a tissue or your shirtsleeve, rather than into your hand. People around you should also cover their mouths when they cough.
- Try to avoid people who have a cold or the flu. If you are sick, stay away from others as much as possible.
- Influenza vaccine: Receiving an influenza vaccine each year helps to decrease your chances of getting the flu. The best time to get the influenza vaccine is in October or November. Ask your caregiver which type of influenza vaccine is right for you.
- Antiviral medicine: Antiviral medicine may help decrease the number of days you are sick. This medicine works only if you take it within one to two days of the start of your symptoms.
- Other treatments for flu symptoms: Rest and drink at least eight to ten (8 ounce) cups of liquids each day. Do not drink alcohol or use tobacco. Use a cool mist humidifier to help you breathe easier. Take acetaminophen or ibuprofen for body aches and fever. Do not take aspirin. Ask your caregiver to help you choose the right medicine for you if you have a cough.
Related medical questions
- How long does it take for Tamiflu to work?
- Does Tamiflu (oseltamivir) work on COVID-19?
- What is the difference between Xofluza and Tamiflu?
- Tamiflu Information for Consumers
- Tamiflu prescribing info & package insert (for Health Professionals)
- Side Effects of Tamiflu (detailed)
Related support groups
- Tamiflu (7 questions, 42 members)